Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It wasn’t me… 08:42 - Mar 26 with 2052 viewsNewcyBlue

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/26/baltimore-francis-scott-key-brid

I hope you’re all doing well!

COYB!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

It wasn’t me… on 08:47 - Mar 26 with 2015 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Nice to hear from you, Mr Newcy.

Awful event in Baltimore.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

It wasn’t me… on 09:03 - Mar 26 with 1956 viewsElderGrizzly

"All lanes closed both directions for incident on I-695 Key Bridge. Traffic is being detoured"

Well that is the understatement of understatements for a traffic report...
It wasn’t me… on 09:08 - Mar 26 with 1949 viewsgiant_stow

Hello mr. Any thoughts on how this could have happenned? I saw one report saying there were two pilots on board... could a ship malfunction so badly to just be uncontrollable?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

It wasn’t me… on 09:51 - Mar 26 with 1854 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It wasn’t me… on 09:08 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Hello mr. Any thoughts on how this could have happenned? I saw one report saying there were two pilots on board... could a ship malfunction so badly to just be uncontrollable?

Without meaning to comment on this specific incident...

If a ship loses its means of propulsion then it will go where the tide and the wind take it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

It wasn’t me… on 10:22 - Mar 26 with 1779 viewsNewcyBlue

It wasn’t me… on 09:08 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Yes and no.

Losing engines whilst making a good speed isn’t so much of a problem IF you are quick enough to engage hand steering and keep her under control.

If you aren’t, you’re done for. The maritime community being a vast community is also rather small when it comes to incidents such as these.

Already there is chatter of a series of blackouts.

Having been in a situation of suffering a series of blackouts, I can tell you that it’s much nicer to happen when you have plenty of sea room.

In confined waters you need to take every available step to limit the damage to an inevitable situation.

Let’s not forget that in those waters it is also customary to employ the use of tugs.

This is another incident that shines a light on the maritime world, and I’m fairly certain that any root cause analysis will focus on the ship. Unfortunately there is a lot that goes on in the background ashore that causes issues on board.

It’s one of the reasons that I am soon to be changing from commercial shipping to another area in the sector.

It wasn’t me… on 10:35 - Mar 26 with 1714 viewsKeno

It wasn’t me… on 10:22 - Mar 26 by NewcyBlue

Yes and no.

Losing engines whilst making a good speed isn’t so much of a problem IF you are quick enough to engage hand steering and keep her under control.

If you aren’t, you’re done for. The maritime community being a vast community is also rather small when it comes to incidents such as these.

Having been in a situation of suffering a series of blackouts, I can tell you that it’s much nicer to happen when you have plenty of sea room.

In confined waters you need to take every available step to limit the damage to an inevitable situation.

Let’s not forget that in those waters it is also customary to employ the use of tugs.

This is another incident that shines a light on the maritime world, and I’m fairly certain that any root cause analysis will focus on the ship. Unfortunately there is a lot that goes on in the background ashore that causes issues on board.

It’s one of the reasons that I am soon to be changing from commercial shipping to another area in the sector.

dint tell me you are going to be

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

It wasn’t me… on 10:49 - Mar 26 with 1668 viewsgiant_stow

Yes and no.

thanks for the answer and all the best in you're new role.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

It wasn’t me… on 11:01 - Mar 26 with 1647 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Yes and no.

I remember you chatting about a possible career change a few years ago, and saying that things like ferries would be incredibly mundane after the breadth of experiences you have had.

Since then we have witnessed first Somalia Pirates, and now the Houthis, targeting commercial shipping, as well as the Evergreen Suez incident bringing home how vulnerable global supply chains are.

This terrible incident in one of the biggest commercial ports in the USA highlights both the huge pressure that you and others work under and the immediately tragic, and long term regionally significant financial, consequences of a failure, whether human, mechanical or structural.

I hope that you are able to find something that you find rewarding, but that gives you more time with your family.
Login to get fewer ads

It wasn’t me… on 12:09 - Mar 26 with 1480 viewsElderGrizzly

It wasn’t me… on 09:51 - Mar 26 by Tangledupin_Blue

Without meaning to comment on this specific incident...

If a ship loses its means of propulsion then it will go where the tide and the wind take it.

Guardian report is now saying someone has the audio from the ship saying it lost propulsion coming out of port and even said it might hit the bridge.
It wasn’t me… on 12:25 - Mar 26 with 1432 viewsKievthegreat

It wasn’t me… on 12:09 - Mar 26 by ElderGrizzly

Guardian report is now saying someone has the audio from the ship saying it lost propulsion coming out of port and even said it might hit the bridge.

There is footage covering a few minutes before the collision. It appears the lights go out and comeback multiple times. Then late on the you can see thick black smoke from the funnel. Not sure if the smoke means there is an issue or that's the engine being ragged at full power for last minute evasive manoeuvres.

Unfortunately I can't find where I saw the original video and now I can only find copies shared by conspiracy theorists or morons selling monkey pictures, so apologies in advance for the link.

It wasn’t me… on 12:34 - Mar 26 with 1393 viewsNewcyBlue

It wasn’t me… on 11:01 - Mar 26 by ArnoldMoorhen

I remember you chatting about a possible career change a few years ago, and saying that things like ferries would be incredibly mundane after the breadth of experiences you have had.

Since then we have witnessed first Somalia Pirates, and now the Houthis, targeting commercial shipping, as well as the Evergreen Suez incident bringing home how vulnerable global supply chains are.

This terrible incident in one of the biggest commercial ports in the USA highlights both the huge pressure that you and others work under and the immediately tragic, and long term regionally significant financial, consequences of a failure, whether human, mechanical or structural.

I hope that you are able to find something that you find rewarding, but that gives you more time with your family.

A friend of mine was on a container ship attacked by the Houthi after Christmas. What he said, and what was reported in the media was slightly different. He came to realise that he’s just a number, and his safety comes way down in the priority list compared to profits.

I’m going over to the private sector and have a job on a super yacht. I’ll be more of a skivvy, but it’s damned well paid and I won’t be a number to a multi billion dollar company.

Everyone talks about Somali pirates, the Captain Phillips film certainly brought attention of the issue to the world. It also wasn’t entirely accurate.

Nigerian pirates are worse than their Somali counterparts.

But the worst out there are the companies gambling profits on our lives.

Then we have this Baltimore incident. I dread to think what the loss of life will be, and I think it’s lucky that it happened at 0128hrs when traffic was certainly lighter.

It wasn’t me… on 12:46 - Mar 26 with 1357 viewsGuthrum

It wasn’t me… on 12:34 - Mar 26 by NewcyBlue

A friend of mine was on a container ship attacked by the Houthi after Christmas. What he said, and what was reported in the media was slightly different. He came to realise that he’s just a number, and his safety comes way down in the priority list compared to profits.

I’m going over to the private sector and have a job on a super yacht. I’ll be more of a skivvy, but it’s damned well paid and I won’t be a number to a multi billion dollar company.

Everyone talks about Somali pirates, the Captain Phillips film certainly brought attention of the issue to the world. It also wasn’t entirely accurate.

Nigerian pirates are worse than their Somali counterparts.

But the worst out there are the companies gambling profits on our lives.

Then we have this Baltimore incident. I dread to think what the loss of life will be, and I think it’s lucky that it happened at 0128hrs when traffic was certainly lighter.

Interesting that Nigerian pirates are never reported. Are there still incidents around the Straits of Malacca area? We never hear about those, either.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It wasn’t me… on 13:04 - Mar 26 with 1292 viewsNewcyBlue

It wasn’t me… on 12:25 - Mar 26 by Kievthegreat

There is footage covering a few minutes before the collision. It appears the lights go out and comeback multiple times. Then late on the you can see thick black smoke from the funnel. Not sure if the smoke means there is an issue or that's the engine being ragged at full power for last minute evasive manoeuvres.

Unfortunately I can't find where I saw the original video and now I can only find copies shared by conspiracy theorists or morons selling monkey pictures, so apologies in advance for the link.

Here is what happens when the lights go out…

Pandemonium - alarms going off all over the bridge. Every single piece of equipment sounds its own alarm.

If you panic at this moment, and start to try to quieten stuff down, you’re not going to notice that the rudder isn’t responding. We have a system called Non Follow Up that we can engage immediately to bring the rudder under control. The alarms are still going.

The pilots will be panicking, they know that if the crew don’t respond well that this is going to be a disaster. They will be making their own noise, adding to the aforementioned alarms. They may even get on the VHF radio and start asking for tugs to assist. The alarms are still going.

The Captain may even be calling the engine room on the phone. The alarms are still going, the engineers may be down in the belly of the beast trying to sort it out. But the phone is going, they have to run to the nearest phone now. It’s dark. The alarms are still going.

The emergency generator should have cut in.

The crew on the foc’sle will be seeing the dangers up ahead. They will use the UHF radio to contact the bridge to tell them. This will add to the noise. The alarms are still going.

Let’s say you acknowledge the alarms. The power is still off. The alarms come back.

The “black smoke” may not be black smoke. Certainly it could be from the generators on board rather than the main engine, or it may be from exhaust gas scrubbers if fitted.

Having seen AIS data, it appears the ship was doing 7 knots when it hit the bridge. My experience is that ships of that size don’t lose steering until 3 or 4 knots. My experience of that area is that there isn’t a massive tidal rate there either.

It wasn’t me… on 13:06 - Mar 26 with 1287 viewsNewcyBlue

It wasn’t me… on 12:46 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Interesting that Nigerian pirates are never reported. Are there still incidents around the Straits of Malacca area? We never hear about those, either.

Yes, although that’s mostly robberies. With the odd small tug or barge hijacked.

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map

That’s always an interesting website.

It wasn’t me… on 13:51 - Mar 26 with 1135 viewsBluespeed225

It wasn’t me… on 13:04 - Mar 26 by NewcyBlue

Pandemonium - alarms going off all over the bridge. Every single piece of equipment sounds its own alarm.

If you panic at this moment, and start to try to quieten stuff down, you’re not going to notice that the rudder isn’t responding. We have a system called Non Follow Up that we can engage immediately to bring the rudder under control. The alarms are still going.

The pilots will be panicking, they know that if the crew don’t respond well that this is going to be a disaster. They will be making their own noise, adding to the aforementioned alarms. They may even get on the VHF radio and start asking for tugs to assist. The alarms are still going.

The Captain may even be calling the engine room on the phone. The alarms are still going, the engineers may be down in the belly of the beast trying to sort it out. But the phone is going, they have to run to the nearest phone now. It’s dark. The alarms are still going.

The crew on the foc’sle will be seeing the dangers up ahead. They will use the UHF radio to contact the bridge to tell them. This will add to the noise. The alarms are still going.

Let’s say you acknowledge the alarms. The power is still off. The alarms come back.

The “black smoke” may not be black smoke. Certainly it could be from the generators on board rather than the main engine, or it may be from exhaust gas scrubbers if fitted.

Having seen AIS data, it appears the ship was doing 7 knots when it hit the bridge. My experience is that ships of that size don’t lose steering until 3 or 4 knots. My experience of that area is that there isn’t a massive tidal rate there either.

Watching this, what would the forces involved be? Ie, the force of the ship versus the strength of the bridge legs? They seem flimsy to be exposed to the risk of collision? Would, for example, the Orwell bridge pylons be liable to collapse due to such an impact? Steel against concrete. Is it normal not to have protection around the pylons? Sorry for all the questions, just seems another incident that will throw up all sorts of failings.
It wasn’t me… on 14:11 - Mar 26 with 1088 viewsNewcyBlue

It wasn’t me… on 13:51 - Mar 26 by Bluespeed225

Watching this, what would the forces involved be? Ie, the force of the ship versus the strength of the bridge legs? They seem flimsy to be exposed to the risk of collision? Would, for example, the Orwell bridge pylons be liable to collapse due to such an impact? Steel against concrete. Is it normal not to have protection around the pylons? Sorry for all the questions, just seems another incident that will throw up all sorts of failings.

At 7 knots, and she’s drawing a draft of 12.2m, again my experience of these sized ships will give us about 75000 tonnes for something like that I reckon.

That’s a hell of force. 7 knots is about 8mph.

Heading up the Delaware river last month, one of the bridges was having strengthening and padding put round it.

Ships are getting bigger and bigger. Many countries have deep water ports closer to the coast, eg Felixstowe in the U.K., Yangshan in China.

It wasn’t me… on 19:09 - Mar 26 with 876 viewsKievthegreat

It wasn’t me… on 13:04 - Mar 26 by NewcyBlue

Sounds more like battle stations in the heat of battle. Imagine it's one of those scenarios where you need to stay calm and just let your training kick in. The thing you might prepare for all your career and never need to do in anger.

It's been reported that during the incident that the ship's captain radioed a mayday to the authorities which led to cars being stopped from crossing, saving extra lives. A small mercy.
It wasn’t me… on 20:23 - Mar 26 with 800 viewssoupytwist

It wasn’t me… on 14:11 - Mar 26 by NewcyBlue

At 7 knots, and she’s drawing a draft of 12.2m, again my experience of these sized ships will give us about 75000 tonnes for something like that I reckon.

That’s a hell of force. 7 knots is about 8mph.

Heading up the Delaware river last month, one of the bridges was having strengthening and padding put round it.

Ships are getting bigger and bigger. Many countries have deep water ports closer to the coast, eg Felixstowe in the U.K., Yangshan in China.

The deep water ports nearer the coast thing is interesting as I looked at where Baltimore is on Google Maps as I wasn't exactly sure. It's a long way up Chesapeake Bay.

What surprised me is that interstate 13 is carried across the mouth of the bay on a bridge that hardly looks tall enough (if you use Google Streeview) to get a windsurfer under.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024