Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich 15:01 - Apr 5 with 5054 viewsle2blue

Personally not a fan of booing our former players, especially academy ones and he wasn’t treated very well by Cookie, although always to side to a story…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68741934
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:36 - Apr 5 with 454 viewsChurchman

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:04 - Apr 5 by Whos_blue

I wonder if he was also upset with his own fans chanting "Chaplin, you're a c***"?
I didn't hear too many boos, but as has been pointed out, he didn't show us too much respect when Saints scored.
My memory has faded a little but is there a bit of history rewriting going on here? I thought he was pushing for a move before Cook?
Can't say I blame him for wanting to leave Shambert, but as fans, we put loyalty right at the top of our wish list.
If he was booed by some because of a perceived lack of loyalty, that's just football.
Not saying I agree, but Leadboots is a good example. Showed us no loyalty and got justified pelters.

He was after a move the year before (according to an interview on the Swansea website) and frustrated he didn’t get one. Downes is grateful to the coaches that helped him early in his career.

He appears to have no link or affinity to ITFC or its supporters. So when Southampton scored, he celebrated and gave it large. That’s fine. It’s his prerogative. He is forging a good career elsewhere, even if he isn’t good enough for his beloved West Ham.

A good player. Upper Championship, lower PL looks to be his level. But not with us as far as I’m concerned, if what I’ve read is true. This club values character, the person as much as their ability which I think is great. But firstly, unless their name is John Wark or Ray Crawford I don’t think players returning is a good thing and secondly, I don’t think he’s right for us regardless of his talent.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:48 - Apr 5 with 421 viewsSwansea_Blue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:36 - Apr 5 by Churchman

He was after a move the year before (according to an interview on the Swansea website) and frustrated he didn’t get one. Downes is grateful to the coaches that helped him early in his career.

He appears to have no link or affinity to ITFC or its supporters. So when Southampton scored, he celebrated and gave it large. That’s fine. It’s his prerogative. He is forging a good career elsewhere, even if he isn’t good enough for his beloved West Ham.

A good player. Upper Championship, lower PL looks to be his level. But not with us as far as I’m concerned, if what I’ve read is true. This club values character, the person as much as their ability which I think is great. But firstly, unless their name is John Wark or Ray Crawford I don’t think players returning is a good thing and secondly, I don’t think he’s right for us regardless of his talent.

He spent 15 years here, including the bulk of his childhood. I find it very hard to believe he’s got no affinity to the place. Possibly the reason he’s upset from a few boos is because we’ve been such a large part of his life? Who knows. Everyone jumping to conclusions from a few quotes blown up into something doesn’t really tell us anything.

Anyway, a quality player who’d slot into Morsy’s role easily. But we’ve got Morsy already and he’d be an expensive (and presumably unwilling) backup.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 20:08 - Apr 5 with 387 viewsBLUEBEAT

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:11 - Apr 5 by itfcsuth

Didn’t seem to have an eye to eye relationship with Cook, but there is two sides to every story and I am sure Cook would counter with his own comments about Downes.

Downes handed in a transfer request, and tried to force a move first under Lambert, so he wanted to leave before Cooks arrival, they may have played a factor in why Cook didn’t see him in his plans.

We’re a different club now, moved on, operate differently, wish him all the very best but personally would never revisit that one in terms of resigning.

Yep.

Don’t know why he’s crying. He wanted out even before PC came in.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 20:24 - Apr 5 with 363 viewsibbleobble

Downes handed in a transfer request when Paiace showed an interest to force a move. What was he expecting? Captaincy?
[Post edited 6 Apr 6:53]
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 20:45 - Apr 5 with 335 viewsGarv

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:10 - Apr 5 by portmanking

Have to admit I found the boos a bit distasteful. As he said, he was pretty much forced out. It wasn't his fault he was having to play with a bunch of journeymen week in, week out.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat as Morsy's long-term replacement, but you wonder if he'd even entertain it now...

He's talented, and tough, but I genuinely don't think he could lace Morsy's boots.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 21:39 - Apr 5 with 278 viewsstonojnr

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:11 - Apr 5 by GeoffSentence

I don't recall any boos aimed at him. There could have been and I just missed it, but equally there was some booing of the ref for being useless and Russell Martin for being a former budgie and current knobhead. I wonder if Downes got the wrong end of the stick from some of that booing.

I didnt hear any targetted at him for who he was either, heck I didnt even know he was on the pitch (though it did explain why some of the town players were chatting amicably with a Southampton player during warmup), any boos and there were hardly alot were simply for an oppo player who was gaming the ref every time he thought he could, to get a Town player booked.

youd like to hope he was smart enough to work out that difference, so I wonder if its more like hes actually upset we didnt really boo him like he thought we should, because weve actually moved on far away from worrying about him anymore, and clearly he still hasnt, because his big move away from us to the Premiership land of his dreams, has ended up with him back in the Championship on loan at Southampton, because thats how much West Ham think of him.

Martin was the only I heard being called out for who he was, the rest of them, no one was interested in who they were.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 22:15 - Apr 5 with 249 viewslazyblue

Him ( or his agent) wanted out , tough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024