Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich 15:01 - Apr 5 with 5059 viewsle2blue

Personally not a fan of booing our former players, especially academy ones and he wasn’t treated very well by Cookie, although always to side to a story…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68741934
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:59 - Apr 5 with 1013 viewsEuropablue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:51 - Apr 5 by OsborneOneNil

Is he Prem, though?

Looks potentially one of those too good for the Champ, but not good enough for the Prem. Not sure.

Maybe we a top class coach he could get to Prem level.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:01 - Apr 5 with 1010 viewsTVRBlue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:58 - Apr 5 by Churchman

That’s all I heard from the West Stand Stalls. The ref got it and deservedly so. But I didn’t hear anything against the Southampton players or Downes particularly.

As for Downes, I don’t know the bloke. Might be salt of the earth, kind to animals and everything. But I didn’t like his attitude at the end of his time with us any more than I did a lot of the players. And he doesn’t endear himself to me now. Comes across as a self opinionated pillock tbh. If what the article says is correct, he’d have been better advised to keep his gob shut. But that may just be the way he is being presented and my interpretation. You can never believe all you read.

Jason Dozzell got a boatload of earache when he played for Spurs here, but he took it for what it was and is rightly considered by all who saw him deservedly a ‘hall of famer’. Top bloke. If Downes did get a bit of stick off a few, he should not be so precious about it. He’s deservedly having a good career - who cares what opposition fans think?

Would I want to see him back here? In all honesty, unless I’ve read him completely wrong and he desperately wants to play for us again, no. Just my opinion.

This.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:01 - Apr 5 with 1011 viewssoupytwist

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:50 - Apr 5 by Kropotkin123

He's complaining about during the game? 😂

I imagined it was when the lineups were called.

He was clapped by most (me included) in the SAR upper when the lineups were announced. If at all, he was booed a bit for massively over playing how much he managed to hurt himself when tackling Morsy in the second half down that end and trying to convince the ref he'd been fouled by Morsy rather than the other way round.

He left for his own good when he did, and brought in some cash. Nothing wrong with that.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:01 - Apr 5 with 1010 viewsChorleyBoy

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:50 - Apr 5 by Kropotkin123

He's complaining about during the game? 😂

I imagined it was when the lineups were called.

The booing started when the lineups where announced. Perhaps the clever boo-boys knew he was going to niggle Morsy during the match.

it's such an obvious non-story and only serves to create animosity between Town and Downes.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:06 - Apr 5 with 970 viewsOldsmoker

Smells a bit of white man problems.
He should talk to some black wingers and find out what they experience at every ground they play at.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:06 - Apr 5 with 969 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm another one who didn't notice any booing at Downes. Would also potentially like to see him back here next season!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:06 - Apr 5 with 967 viewsGiant_Midget

He seems easily rattled, I recall him headbutting an opposition player during pre-season.

I didn't hear any boos aimed his direction on Monday.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:16 - Apr 5 with 919 viewsBlueschev

I was saying Boourns.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:26 - Apr 5 with 883 viewsArnieM

Tbh, I’d forgotten Downes was even on loan at Saints, such was his impact for me that night,
As for booing him. Don’t remember any of that. Much bigger fish to fry than him . He means nothing to me personally, but suffice to say, he was a little spoilt gobshyte when he was with us, and he’s not fit to wear the Town shirt, and certainly does not have the personal attributes to fit in with our current squad.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:33 - Apr 5 with 843 viewsbournemouthblue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:08 - Apr 5 by SitfcB

He wanted out.

And then he was a bit of a knob during the game.

Yeh, it's probably a bit of that

If he played for us, we would love it. He'd be a natural successor to Morsy no doubt.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:36 - Apr 5 with 829 viewsPositivelyPortman

At the end of the day, if he he just wasn’t good enough for Cook, then he certainly wouldn’t have been good enough for McKenna’s style of football. Personally, I never thought too much of him or his style of play.
In his mind, he thought that he was a Roy Keane type hard man, but it would never have materialised, just not enough ability.
[Post edited 5 Apr 16:44]

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:40 - Apr 5 with 812 viewsSarge

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:06 - Apr 5 by Kropotkin123

Bit odd to boo him. I don't see the motive, even before reading the link. We're usually positive towards returning players.

Some fans booed Macauley Bonne when he lined up for Charlton last season. It’s like Downes says, “fans are fans”, and some of them are total morons.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 16:47 - Apr 5 with 787 viewsSimonds92

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:29 - Apr 5 by portmanking

He was definitely booed when he touched the ball on occasion in the NSL.

We had chants around us of "you left a sinking ship"..... I'm not really sure thats a stick to beat him with!

I didn't boo him but the fact he's affected by it and he was affected by Crystal Palace interest and went a bit funny shows he lacks a bit of mental steel / robustness.
Handed in a transfer request long before Cook arrived. on 16:55 - Apr 5 with 750 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So trouble had been brewing for a while.

His head was turned by the Palace interest.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed BY SMALL MINORITY at Ipswich (n/t) on 17:09 - Apr 5 with 709 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:10 - Apr 5 with 707 viewsExiled2Surrey

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:56 - Apr 5 by Steve_M

Yes, it was pretty crap really. The treatment of Downes by Lambert and Cook was abysmal that last season he here.

He does need to control how obviously wound up he gets at times still but he's an excellent Championship player now.

Agree he needs to learn to take it in the spirit that it was meant (I am sure).

Having said that, there were a couple of other ex Town players there who got nowhere near the stick Downes got (Fraser and Bree), and they were loanees, so you can sort of understand that he might have felt that he was being singled out unfairly
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:11 - Apr 5 with 709 viewsitfcsuth

Didn’t seem to have an eye to eye relationship with Cook, but there is two sides to every story and I am sure Cook would counter with his own comments about Downes.

Downes handed in a transfer request, and tried to force a move first under Lambert, so he wanted to leave before Cooks arrival, they may have played a factor in why Cook didn’t see him in his plans.

We’re a different club now, moved on, operate differently, wish him all the very best but personally would never revisit that one in terms of resigning.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:12 - Apr 5 with 697 viewsWestSussexBlue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:11 - Apr 5 by GeoffSentence

I don't recall any boos aimed at him. There could have been and I just missed it, but equally there was some booing of the ref for being useless and Russell Martin for being a former budgie and current knobhead. I wonder if Downes got the wrong end of the stick from some of that booing.

“Former Budgie and current Knobhead” 😂😂, that made me chuckle.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:21 - Apr 5 with 677 viewslmfcblue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:20 - Apr 5 by hoppy

I don't recall any, apart from the ones at the ref at half time.

Why Boo a ref at half time? If losing I’m sure the players would think it’s aimed at them !
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:22 - Apr 5 with 675 viewsWickets

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 15:29 - Apr 5 by portmanking

He was definitely booed when he touched the ball on occasion in the NSL.

A bit but not that much , agree this is a non story . I would take him back also .
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:23 - Apr 5 with 673 viewsSparky85

No issue with any of this. A few little boo's that maybe throw him off his game a little? Then the fans that booed have done the right thing.

Would rather that than give him a cheer/applause that puts him on a high and then he has a blinder

Decent player and would take him back as potential Morsy replacement when the time is right and if he wanted another crack at PR.

No ill feeling, and if the boo's had an effect, if even 1%, then GOOD
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:25 - Apr 5 with 665 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 17:21 - Apr 5 by lmfcblue

Why Boo a ref at half time? If losing I’m sure the players would think it’s aimed at them !

The ref was booed pretty much every time he got a decision wrong. Which was pretty every time he made a decision. He basically created a hostile atmosphere, not a chance the players thought they were being booed.
Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 18:21 - Apr 5 with 575 viewsgainsboroughblue

Can't say I really heard much booing, if any. I do know that the noise made at the ground doesn't always translate to Sky however so I may be wrong (I usually am).

I can recall the volume suddenly dropping when our fans were chanting something with a rude word or two in it on one of our televised games (think it was Millwall).

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:04 - Apr 5 with 513 viewsWhos_blue

I wonder if he was also upset with his own fans chanting "Chaplin, you're a c***"?
I didn't hear too many boos, but as has been pointed out, he didn't show us too much respect when Saints scored.
My memory has faded a little but is there a bit of history rewriting going on here? I thought he was pushing for a move before Cook?
Can't say I blame him for wanting to leave Shambert, but as fans, we put loyalty right at the top of our wish list.
If he was booed by some because of a perceived lack of loyalty, that's just football.
Not saying I agree, but Leadboots is a good example. Showed us no loyalty and got justified pelters.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:30 - Apr 5 with 477 viewsSwansea_Blue

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich on 19:04 - Apr 5 by Whos_blue

I wonder if he was also upset with his own fans chanting "Chaplin, you're a c***"?
I didn't hear too many boos, but as has been pointed out, he didn't show us too much respect when Saints scored.
My memory has faded a little but is there a bit of history rewriting going on here? I thought he was pushing for a move before Cook?
Can't say I blame him for wanting to leave Shambert, but as fans, we put loyalty right at the top of our wish list.
If he was booed by some because of a perceived lack of loyalty, that's just football.
Not saying I agree, but Leadboots is a good example. Showed us no loyalty and got justified pelters.

Loyalty is an unrealistic expectation imo. They’re professionals and they have a short career. Imagine if we’d not taken Wark back because he ‘dared’ leave us for Liverpool. We’d probably have missed out on a Championship win and the lifetime services of someone who loved the club. I’m not going to blame Leadbetter for looking for better than being in Paul Jewell’s team. Jewell or Mowbray isn’t a tough choice.

Interesting article on Leadbetter here for anyone interested.he talks about how much he loved his time here and how much Keane helped him. I had no idea he was facing such demons around grief. https://theathletic.com/2130316/2020/10/12/grant-leadbitters-grief-mother-father

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024