Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid 14:42 - Apr 6 with 3298 viewsonceablue

They sat back didn’t press us when we had ball at back.

Which meant there was no space in behind.

We didn’t know what to do

McKenna should have made changes at half time

Why bring on Harness?

The fans biggest game of season and players let us down

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 13:01 - Apr 7 with 567 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 11:50 - Apr 7 by ArnieM

My point is, we don’t adapt to opponents tactics. Leeds attacked and over fan us at our place … the reverse fixture, where a point would probably have been a good point, we played our usual open football and were over run in tha5 first 20 mins again. Why didn’t we Tewksbury our approach? Leeds knew we’d play that way and just hit us on the break.

Scum, sat back at PR, defending deep and hit us on the break, scoring from virtually their only two attacks. Yesterday we played again the same way, slow, pedestrian build up like we always do out of defence. Scum sat back and waited for us., and yes you’ve guessed it, theyve hit us on the break. We couldn’t break down their deep defending , again. So, why didn’t we modify our approach? We can’t play “ total football” all the time. We lacked the ability to mix it up, that’s a weakness in my view.

When we play scum in the play off, ( as we likely will do ), are we going to play the same way , when it’s clearly not worked for two previous games? Would you be happy with that approach, given that Wagner appears to have out thought McKenna over the last two games ?

If the game had lasted until now we would carried on with the same tactics.

Wagner sussed us out perfectly.

Even Stevie Wonder would have spotted our tactics didn't work out.

Second half in particular we needed some tactical switch to offer a threat. What did we do? Like for like changes and Norwich were very content to sit back and stop us so easily
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 16:33 - Apr 7 with 490 viewsCoastalblue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 12:30 - Apr 7 by ITFCSG

100% agree. As repeated elsewhere we don't seem to have a Plan B and we struggle against teams playing a compact set-up and/or a low block. This is not new as seen from our struggles against Lincoln and Cheltenham last season. McKball may be good for the mid-table teams and relegation fodder but bar Southampton our record against the rest of the top 6 is appalling (D4 L4) which suggest we may not even get to Wembley.

TACTICS: Yesterday we had 70 minutes to effect a change after they scored and nothing drastic was done. Nothing! If we needed to play 2 up (like we did v WBA at home) or pump the long ball dino-Mick style then do it. Would you rather win ugly or tippy-tap you way to defeat like what is happening at Soton?

MENTALITY: Look at Leeds at Cov yesterday, yes they lost but look at how they pushed wave after wave at the Cov goal until the last whistle. Us? Passing the ball backwards and giving away silly free kicks deep into injury time.

Credit when credit is due, taking into account what the team has done over the past 2+ years but it doesn't obfuscate the fact that the performance was an embarrassment at the home of our biggest rivals yesterday.

Your third point is bizarre, the precise opposite (perhaps not yesterday granted) of us. We're renowned for late goals and throwing everything until the last whistle along with our obvious luck.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:20 - Apr 7 with 441 viewspeterleeblue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 14:48 - Apr 6 by ArnieM

Wagner win the tactical battle in both games. Shame our manager can’t adapt his tactics once in a while. We handed victory on a plate today snd also against Leeds at their place by refusing to tweek our approach. I was blasted out of the water for suggesting that was naive. Well I’m suggesting it again today. We played right into their hands with our approach: we’re predictable!

You are better than that ArnieM.

We have a Rookie Manager at this level who is achieving miracles with a League 1 squad.
Learning all the Time.

KMC will be going nowhere soon. He is with us for the long term and long may that continue.
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:26 - Apr 7 with 427 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 15:17 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

I think Burns' absence is a huge problem for us. Instead of being able to ease Hutchinson through games, we're running him into the ground. I wonder if Jackson may start on Wednesday?

Pace was what we needed! Jackson n Ali could add that v their defence!

They have Rowe to come back!

Maybe we could find an injury free striker between the 3 we have!
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:28 - Apr 7 with 422 viewsTonytown

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:20 - Apr 7 by peterleeblue

You are better than that ArnieM.

We have a Rookie Manager at this level who is achieving miracles with a League 1 squad.
Learning all the Time.

KMC will be going nowhere soon. He is with us for the long term and long may that continue.

So many entitled bedwetting fannies on this thread.

We have had 2 of the best seasons since the Robson era, have lost a game where we were flat against that lot from up the road and peoples reaction is pathetic.

Other teams can play better than us and they do not have to do things that we want them to either.

We missed Hirst & Wes massively as they would have offered a different threat. If we end up in the playoffs, hopefully both will be back.

On to Wednesday and another hard game that we can hopefully win to get us back on track.

That 2 week break could be really helpful to us in my opinion leading to the final 3 game push.
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:46 - Apr 7 with 401 viewsPhilTWTD

Kieran dismissed that lack of space thing post-match. Just felt we didn't exploit the spaces we'd usually exploit.

McKenna: We Didn't Hit Our Usual Levels 6th Apr 2024 16:26
Town boss Kieran McKenna admitted his side didn’t come anywhere near to the level they have hit in earlier games or in Monday’s dramatic 3-2 victory over Southampton in this afternoon’s disappointing 1-0 derby defeat at Norwich City, a match which he didn’t feel was of a particularly high level. 55

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:56 - Apr 7 with 372 viewsHalifaxBlue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 14:48 - Apr 6 by ArnieM

Wagner win the tactical battle in both games. Shame our manager can’t adapt his tactics once in a while. We handed victory on a plate today snd also against Leeds at their place by refusing to tweek our approach. I was blasted out of the water for suggesting that was naive. Well I’m suggesting it again today. We played right into their hands with our approach: we’re predictable!

McKenna is tremendously adaptable and is one of the best managers when it comes to in-game tactical changes I've seen at this level.

Just because the shape doesn't change doesn't mean the tactics don't change.

Wagner got the better of us yesterday no doubt. But it annoys me to see this "he doesn't adapt" nonsense pulled out every time he gets bettered. Which, by the way, happens so, so rarely it's remarkable - due in large point to his ability to adapt to the ways teams try to cope with us.

There are countless examples from this season but I would refer to Milwall for a very clear and obvious example of McKenna changing a game on 20ish minutes with his ability to adapt.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 22:04 - Apr 7 with 359 viewsHalifaxBlue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 11:50 - Apr 7 by ArnieM

My point is, we don’t adapt to opponents tactics. Leeds attacked and over fan us at our place … the reverse fixture, where a point would probably have been a good point, we played our usual open football and were over run in tha5 first 20 mins again. Why didn’t we Tewksbury our approach? Leeds knew we’d play that way and just hit us on the break.

Scum, sat back at PR, defending deep and hit us on the break, scoring from virtually their only two attacks. Yesterday we played again the same way, slow, pedestrian build up like we always do out of defence. Scum sat back and waited for us., and yes you’ve guessed it, theyve hit us on the break. We couldn’t break down their deep defending , again. So, why didn’t we modify our approach? We can’t play “ total football” all the time. We lacked the ability to mix it up, that’s a weakness in my view.

When we play scum in the play off, ( as we likely will do ), are we going to play the same way , when it’s clearly not worked for two previous games? Would you be happy with that approach, given that Wagner appears to have out thought McKenna over the last two games ?

"My point is, we don't adapt to opponents tactics"

We do though. Every single game. Every one. This is a strength of McKenna and his staff. If we didn't, we'd lose.

Changing tactics does not have to be as drastic as a change in formation. In the modern game it almost always takes the form of small changes to details, with the principles remaining the same.

You are never going to see McK decide to go 4-4-2 and lump it long in any situation outside of it being the final moments and we're chasing a lead desperately. It isn't how the game works anymore. You change details, but keep your principles. This is nearly universal now. It isn't FIFA or FM. You can't just completely change the way you play on a dime when it's not working. It needs hours and hours and hours on a training ground to become even moderately competent in any system at this level.

To describe our build up as "slow, pedestrian" misses the entire point of it by the way. I'd be far more concerned by a manager who abandons his principles based on a scoreline.
[Post edited 7 Apr 22:09]

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Login to get fewer ads

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 22:04 - Apr 7 with 358 viewspeterleeblue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 21:28 - Apr 7 by Tonytown

So many entitled bedwetting fannies on this thread.

We have had 2 of the best seasons since the Robson era, have lost a game where we were flat against that lot from up the road and peoples reaction is pathetic.

Other teams can play better than us and they do not have to do things that we want them to either.

We missed Hirst & Wes massively as they would have offered a different threat. If we end up in the playoffs, hopefully both will be back.

On to Wednesday and another hard game that we can hopefully win to get us back on track.

That 2 week break could be really helpful to us in my opinion leading to the final 3 game push.

Indeed.

And what I find most amusing is that the Norwich fans wanted Wagner out a few months ago. How embarrassing for them!!
Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 22:10 - Apr 7 with 335 viewspeterleeblue

Wagner won the tactical battle I am afraid on 12:33 - Apr 7 by Herbivore

24 hours of bedwetting is a lot, mate. I hope you own plenty of sheets. Your first paragraph is rather all over the place, it's weird to exclude our results against Saints and it's also hardly unusual for teams to have worse results against the best teams than they do against others. Also, Norwich aside those teams haven't exactly set up with a low block, they just have good players. Other teams have tried to defend deep against us this season and have generally ultimately come unstuck. We're having a remarkable season that some of our wet wipe fans don't really deserve.

Totally this.

Yes yesterday was disappointing. We were Poor. KMC has basically admitted that.

The game turned for a while at 20 mins when the ref inexplicably decided to start awarding soft free kicks in dangerous areas to Norwich. One of which they scored from. (not sure what the wall was doing there).

Second half Chaplin chance goes in and who knows.

Bigger Picture time!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024