Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning 08:02 - May 8 with 4156 viewsHerbivore

Potted highlights:

- He's already back at Chelsea so they can take a look, and likely to go on their preseason tour in July (booooo).

- He has genuine affection for the club and loves McKenna which could go in our favour but is no guarantee.

- He already has other loan suitors from the Prem.

- Although Chelsea need to raise funds they think it's unlikely they'll sell when his potential is so high, although may depend on whether a new deal can be agreed (12 months left with an option for a further 12 months).

- Has a lot of traffic ahead of him at Chelsea and for England which may influence his decision making, not likely to want to be a squad player or bench warmer after the season he's had.

Not necessarily loads that we didn't know there. Does feel like one where Omari himself potentially has a fair bit of influence, if he isn't interested in a new deal at Chelsea as he doesn't see a path to the first team there then it almost forces them to sell, or at least consider offers. I imagine if he's out on loan again, he'll get to choose the destination and that could work in our favour.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:31 - May 8 with 608 viewsFrimleyBlue

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:27 - May 8 by PhilTWTD

They quote Omari as having said "I hope so" when asked by Sky if he wants to come back, but I think he only said "I don't know", didn't he? I've not listened back since Saturday. He had said he'd like to previously, however.

I think the recent one was I don't know, but after a game prior, maybe the Hull one, he did say I hope so..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:37 - May 8 with 567 viewsSmithersJones

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:04 - May 8 by LegendofthePhoenix

If Chelsea need funds by 30/6/24, then selling him with a buyback clause would make sense. With no significant PL experience, he would need to go somewhere where he is going to start regularly, and get good coaching. Tbf, most if not all PL teams have good coaches and training facilities, but how many would he be starting at every week? I think as long as we can offer a fee close to what others would pay, we would be the most attractive club for Chelsea to sell him to. Fee presumably about £15M - £20M, buy back who knows, maybe £30M.

Bizarrely our possible status as one of the favourites for relegation* could count in our favour if Chelsea are trying to do this sort of deal. A buyback is only any use if the club wants to sell (or the player wants to move) so less likely to be relevant for an established premier league club.

*: I’m assuming we will be (along with whoever comes up in the play offs) rather than I think we’re likely to go down
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:40 - May 8 with 551 viewsNutkins_Return

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 08:21 - May 8 by nrb1985

They can only sell academy players because they are booked as pure profit in FFP terms. Or in Omari's case, he has a very low book value as they paid £5m for him, so if they got £20m he goes in at £15m profit.

If they sell Lukaku etc, that doesn't make difference in terms of FFP for them.

Chelsea and Birmingham are a cautionary tale of what can happen when you let the Americans start meddling around in things they don't understand...

We really are very lucky to have our owners!

I can't understand how it doesn't make a difference for FFP? I.e. if you are selling Lukaku whilst it's not a profit it still surely reduces the original outlay off the books for FFP. (Obviously factoring in how the deal is structured and amortization. But they can probably work it so it's booked off immediately).
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:58 - May 8 with 495 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:37 - May 8 by SmithersJones

Bizarrely our possible status as one of the favourites for relegation* could count in our favour if Chelsea are trying to do this sort of deal. A buyback is only any use if the club wants to sell (or the player wants to move) so less likely to be relevant for an established premier league club.

*: I’m assuming we will be (along with whoever comes up in the play offs) rather than I think we’re likely to go down

My understanding is that the selling club, Chelsea, can state that if they offer a predetermined figure, say £30M, by a certain date, then we have to sell to them at that price. Similar to a release clause. My guess is that the date would be in 12 months time, as inflation is unknown so too much risk if left for 2 years.

Poll: would you rather

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 12:07 - May 8 with 419 viewsPhilTWTD

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:31 - May 8 by FrimleyBlue

I think the recent one was I don't know, but after a game prior, maybe the Hull one, he did say I hope so..

I didn't see that, so you may well be right. He definitely said something along those lines to us a month or so ago, but I suspect has been told to be more circumspect by his people!
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 12:23 - May 8 with 378 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 10:27 - May 8 by PhilTWTD

They quote Omari as having said "I hope so" when asked by Sky if he wants to come back, but I think he only said "I don't know", didn't he? I've not listened back since Saturday. He had said he'd like to previously, however.

He definitely says "I hope so" first (skip to about 1min 40sec)
[Post edited 8 May 12:24]
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 12:26 - May 8 with 359 viewsPhilTWTD

Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 12:23 - May 8 by only_one_sir_bobby

He definitely says "I hope so" first (skip to about 1min 40sec)
[Post edited 8 May 12:24]

You're right, does come across on there, came across as more garbled on the TV and didn't catch it. But is fairly non-committal from there.
Article on Omari in The Athletic this morning on 12:30 - May 8 with 341 viewsburnbudgiesburn

In Mark Ashtons interview with Stuart Watson, he said the club would love to have him back, but that players say all sorts of things in the heat of celebrations/interviews and that things will be discussed after everything has cooled down.

I'd say we have a chance of getting him back on loan, but unlikely atm for me. We'll need Sarmiento/Hutchinson types for sure though with the technique and ability to drift past a player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024