Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit of help needed 20:22 - Sep 27 with 2239 viewsvilanovablue

The better Half's car has died and I've got about 2k spare to get a replacement. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what even to look for. Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.
0
A bit of help needed on 00:33 - Sep 29 with 345 viewsWicklowBlue

A bit of help needed on 19:49 - Sep 28 by Pinewoodblue

Another Japanese suggestion Honda Jazz.

Make sure no advisories on recent MOT.


Toyota Yaris just to throw another name/brand/model out there.

Rust on the chassis depending on details is a nightmare if taken hold. Can't speak for MOT standards.. but I have seen cars fail the NCT in Ireland for surface rust in rear suspension etc. Which a quick wire brushing rust treatment and correct protective paint dealt with.

If the rust has seriously corroded the chassis etc yes going to be more expensive than the car is worth.

Loads of good opinions in this thread, but quickly did you get a second opinion on the current cars state?
0
A bit of help needed on 06:32 - Sep 29 with 283 viewsBlue_Heath

A bit of help needed on 09:26 - Sep 28 by vilanovablue

In reality it is really just a car for short low distances, the daily commute. The kids have left home so something small is fine. ULEZ compliance is not needed as we leave in Eastbourne. I have the main car for any longer distance journeys. Appreciate that 2k isn't a lot these days but cash is just a bit tight at the moment and I was hoping to have a bit more to spend but the car failing it's MOT spectacularly badly has somewhat backed me into a corner.


Toyota Yaris if you can find one is the way to go in that price range.

Not the most exciting thing to drive but will run and run so long as you look after it.

Poll: How many team changes tonight?

0
A bit of help needed on 13:25 - Sep 29 with 205 viewsOldFart71

A bit of help needed on 18:59 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Newcyblue helped me and many others on car buying tips - see:
Car recommendations by Zx1988 26 Sep 2024 17:37
Following some good car advice in the past, I'm after some more...

We've been running a 2014 Honda Civic Tourer for a few years now and, although I think it's a fantastic little car, Mrs Zx has called time on it as the seats just don't agree with her back.

The perfect solution would be if we were able to swap out the Honda drivers' seat with something a little more comfortable, but I get the feeling that this would be far more hassle than it would be worth...

So...

I've been tasked with finding a suitable replacement car, for Mrs Zx to use as her runaround, with the boot space to allow her to trundle off to Guide camp two or three times a year.

I'm thinking to go down either the estate or SUV route, with about a £5k budget, and a mind to get something fairly high mileage that'll allow us to get a decent motor that should have a few more years of trouble-free occasional (probably less than 5,000 miles a year) use left in it.

Any particular recommendations? High-mileage late-model Vauxhall Insignia estates seem to be fairly easy to come by, and look to offer fairly decent quality. A Volvo (we've already got a 2017 XC60) would be a dream find, but I get the feeling that the budget wouldn't stretch to a Volvo worth having.

What would you be looking at in our shoes?



Watch out for models with wet belts (A cambelt that runs in oil) I'd personally steer clear of them. They were put on several models, Fords, Vauxhall and Peugeot.
I have a Ford Kuga 2015, I keep it fully serviced. It gets a service and MOT every year.
Whatever vehicle you go for try to get one with a full or near to full MOT.
Check the intervals between changing the cambelt. With my Kuga it was 10 years or 100,000 miles. It was ten last year so I changed it.
Things that can be a pain in the bum are the washer system. If you don't get a good flow when you wash the screen it's likely the filter is blocked. This is located behind the front wing cover and requires removal of the front wheel and wheel arch protector and even then it a pain to get the filter out. It is quite small and gets clogged because of what they put in the screenwash. The other things to look out for are the tyre pressure sensors. A light on your display means an MOT failure and if it's an all four drive model they have speed sensors on each wheel which can also fail.
I think whatever car you go for you want the best service history available. This will not of course insure nothing goes wrong, but a car with little or nos history to me means the owner doesn't look after it. One last thing, tyres are expensive, therefor I would also check the make that is on a car you are looking at. I recently looked at a vehicle online and the make of tyre was one I had not heard of. So I investigated and it turned out they were prone to blowouts. Again a quality tyre suggests a good owner, but even quality ones need checking for sidewall cracks and wear.
1
A bit of help needed on 13:38 - Sep 29 with 197 viewswitchdoctor

A bit of help needed on 05:37 - Sep 28 by suffolkpoker

I own a little car sales site in stowmarket.

I have got a trusty Hyundai i30 in stock 2011 1.6 diesel 115k £35 tax and 60mpg+
£1600 with 3 months warranty . New MOT and service etc

https://eavesmotors.co.uk/cars

Even if you don’t buy off me, feel freee to drop me a PM with a reg you have found to check over by price, HPI and MOT history. Happy to help pal 👍


what a top bloke…🙌
1
A bit of help needed on 14:15 - Sep 29 with 163 viewsvilanovablue

A bit of help needed on 13:38 - Sep 29 by witchdoctor

what a top bloke…🙌


I thought was decent but the better half seems to have her heart set on something Japanese/Korean.
0
A bit of help needed on 14:24 - Sep 29 with 151 viewssoupytwist

A bit of help needed on 14:15 - Sep 29 by vilanovablue

I thought was decent but the better half seems to have her heart set on something Japanese/Korean.


Hyundai is Korean. I'd think carefully about whether a diesel is the best option for the type of use you've described though.
1
A bit of help needed on 16:19 - Sep 29 with 114 viewshoppy

A bit of help needed on 14:24 - Sep 29 by soupytwist

Hyundai is Korean. I'd think carefully about whether a diesel is the best option for the type of use you've described though.


Especially with the cost of diesel atm heading for pushing through the £2 per litre mark.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

1
A bit of help needed on 17:19 - Sep 29 with 90 viewsBlue_Heath

A bit of help needed on 16:19 - Sep 29 by hoppy

Especially with the cost of diesel atm heading for pushing through the £2 per litre mark.


Also diesels don't like constant short journeys, blocked EGR, DPF regen failures etc.

For low mileage/short journeys a petrol car is better.

Poll: How many team changes tonight?

3
Login to get fewer ads

A bit of help needed on 18:14 - Sep 29 with 75 viewssuffolkpoker

A bit of help needed on 17:19 - Sep 29 by Blue_Heath

Also diesels don't like constant short journeys, blocked EGR, DPF regen failures etc.

For low mileage/short journeys a petrol car is better.


Yea for sure. If your not going on long trips with Diesels, they are not worthwhile.

The MPG will always be better than a petrol but you have to do the mileage to justify the extra breakdown costs on a diesel especially with low mileage.

My favourite budget petrol engines are the Ford 1.2 (not the 1.0 Eco-bang) and the VAG's 1.2's (VW, Skoda, Seat etc).

Im sure there are plenty of others good ones but i rarely get any comebacks on these engines / cars.

These are what i target for my forecourt...

Have you found anything yet? My DM's are empty :D

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

0
A bit of help needed on 18:21 - Sep 29 with 71 viewssuffolkpoker

A bit of help needed on 14:15 - Sep 29 by vilanovablue

I thought was decent but the better half seems to have her heart set on something Japanese/Korean.


I have only had experience with Kia / Hyundai budget diesels.

I know they do a 1.2 and 1.0 petrol but they seem to make strong money and ive had no experience with them.

Anything Toyota are decent... i think they done a 1.0 but again no experience with them either.

If i was to gamble with unknown Asian cars / engines i would lean towards Toyota for reliability tbh

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

0
A bit of help needed on 20:35 - Sep 29 with 35 viewsPendejo

The answer you're looking for is Toyota

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/c

uberima fides
Poll: Who was / is / will be the most corrupt UEFA President

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026