Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grenfell Tower victims 12:19 - Jun 20 with 21705 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some of the people made homeless by the fire have been re housed in hotels for a minimum of one month, received £500 in cash on Sunday followed by a bank transfer of £5,000 yesterday.

Others are sleeping in cars on on the sofas of friends.

Does anyone know why some people are getting support and not others?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:21 - Jun 20 with 8899 viewsLord_Lucan

Is it because I is black?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:22 - Jun 20 with 8877 viewsSwansea_Blue

Difficulty in trying to account for who was in there and who wasn't maybe? They'll be a subletting issue, possibly people who shouldn't have been in there and don't want to admit it (either sub letting in breach of terms or maybe even illegal immigrants if you believe some of the talk).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:26 - Jun 20 with 8853 viewsfooters

I would guess it's a logistical nightmare. Was reading that a lecturer at LSE had compiled a list of 130 properties that landlords/people were willing to give up to home some of the victims; she passed it on to the council who seemingly did nothing about it.

A fund of five million pounds coupled with complete chaos on the ground just isn't good enough.

Also sorry to spam but my colleague is throwing a bash in London in aid of the victims. You can buy a donation ticket if you can't make it, but if you're in London and like the sound of it, why not pop along? 100% of the money raised will be going directly to the people affected.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?982136

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:32 - Jun 20 with 8805 viewsArcher4721

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/grenfell-tower-fire-june-2017-support-for-people-aff

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/details-of-grenfell-tower-residents-discretio
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 12:33]
Grenfell Tower victims on 12:32 - Jun 20 with 8808 viewsWeekender

Not an answer to your question but working in the area and just walked past the building- seeing it hits hard.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:42 - Jun 20 with 8747 viewsArcher4721

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:32 - Jun 20 by Weekender

Not an answer to your question but working in the area and just walked past the building- seeing it hits hard.

I was there over the weekend and it really hit home the difference in this country between the haves and have nots. People affected were searching for guidance from government officials and there weren't any to be seen anywhere. The local people and charities were the only help these poor people got.

It was a disgusting state of affairs.
Grenfell Tower victims on 12:46 - Jun 20 with 8714 viewsGunnsAirkick

It does seem very disjointed (some comments from the Leader of the Council are not helping either), I think if everyone got that amount that would be a good first step but we'll see.

I think there will be uproar if people aren't re-housed locally though, and rightly so.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 12:47]
Grenfell Tower victims on 12:48 - Jun 20 with 8692 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:46 - Jun 20 by GunnsAirkick

It does seem very disjointed (some comments from the Leader of the Council are not helping either), I think if everyone got that amount that would be a good first step but we'll see.

I think there will be uproar if people aren't re-housed locally though, and rightly so.

There's a commitment to try to rehouse people in the local area. Like you say there would quite rightly be uproar if this doesn't happen.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:04 - Jun 20 with 8596 viewsArcher4721

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:46 - Jun 20 by GunnsAirkick

Makes you wonder what the response would've been if there had been an election looming.
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:07 - Jun 20 with 8578 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:04 - Jun 20 by Archer4721

Makes you wonder what the response would've been if there had been an election looming.

Here we go again.

I started this thread asking a genuine question.Swansea seems to have come up with a possible answer. Please don't hijack it to score political points.

Iron Lion Zion

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:14 - Jun 20 with 8529 viewswitchdoctor

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:07 - Jun 20 by GlasgowBlue

Here we go again.

I started this thread asking a genuine question.Swansea seems to have come up with a possible answer. Please don't hijack it to score political points.

surely you aren't surprised that this poster would start their agenda was you?
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:14 - Jun 20 with 8527 viewsRimmersBrace

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:42 - Jun 20 by Archer4721

I was there over the weekend and it really hit home the difference in this country between the haves and have nots. People affected were searching for guidance from government officials and there weren't any to be seen anywhere. The local people and charities were the only help these poor people got.

It's hardly surprising that the councils are having problems. Last time I checked, very few councils had a Towering Inferno department. In all seriousness, people need to understand that this is a unheard of scenario and obviously there is going to be huge disruption. The people to manage it simply do not exist.

I've heard it compared with a severe flood - but that's no comparison. Floods occur regularly and there are contingency plans and teams in place to deal with them
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:16 - Jun 20 with 8503 viewsBlueNomad

Remember the criticism the US got immediately after the New Orleans floods? That involved tens of thousands of people. We appear to have got it badly wrong with about a thousand people.
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:19 - Jun 20 with 8467 viewsClapham_Junction

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:14 - Jun 20 by RimmersBrace

It's hardly surprising that the councils are having problems. Last time I checked, very few councils had a Towering Inferno department. In all seriousness, people need to understand that this is a unheard of scenario and obviously there is going to be huge disruption. The people to manage it simply do not exist.

I've heard it compared with a severe flood - but that's no comparison. Floods occur regularly and there are contingency plans and teams in place to deal with them

I think the comparison is valid as councils should have plans in place to deal with large numbers of displaced people. I'm a volunteer emergency assistant for my local council and earlier this year we had a situation where around 500 people were potentially going to be evacuated due to a WWII bomb being discovered - they were going to be put up in refuges in leisure centres whilst it was dealt with.

I was speaking earlier today to someone who works with emergency planning officers at another London council and have been drafted in to help Kensington & Chelsea. By all accounts they have made a complete mess of it all - unprepared, underresourced etc. When they arrived to help it turned out K&C hadn't been keeping records/logs and so presumably don't know who has received what.
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:25 - Jun 20 with 8432 viewsArcher4721

Here we go again.

Just repeating what local residents are saying.

They are afterall the ones whose voices should heard.
Grenfell Tower victims on 13:26 - Jun 20 with 8412 viewslowhouseblue

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:19 - Jun 20 by Clapham_Junction

I think the comparison is valid as councils should have plans in place to deal with large numbers of displaced people. I'm a volunteer emergency assistant for my local council and earlier this year we had a situation where around 500 people were potentially going to be evacuated due to a WWII bomb being discovered - they were going to be put up in refuges in leisure centres whilst it was dealt with.

I was speaking earlier today to someone who works with emergency planning officers at another London council and have been drafted in to help Kensington & Chelsea. By all accounts they have made a complete mess of it all - unprepared, underresourced etc. When they arrived to help it turned out K&C hadn't been keeping records/logs and so presumably don't know who has received what.

Kensington and Chelsea come out of this very badly. but the events are at the very severe end of the things any council will have to deal with.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 8372 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:19 - Jun 20 by Clapham_Junction

Jaywick was evacuated earlier this year due to possible flooding. Were people just told to leave or did the council organise the evacuation and find shelter for people?

Iron Lion Zion

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:34 - Jun 20 with 8358 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:25 - Jun 20 by Archer4721

Just repeating what local residents are saying.

They are afterall the ones whose voices should heard.

"Makes you wonder what the response would've been if there had been an election looming" seems to be you making a point rather than making the voices of those affected by the tragedy heard.

Anyway. Not interested in your point scoring today thanks.

Iron Lion Zion

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:37 - Jun 20 with 8325 viewsArcher4721

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:34 - Jun 20 by GlasgowBlue

"Makes you wonder what the response would've been if there had been an election looming" seems to be you making a point rather than making the voices of those affected by the tragedy heard.

Anyway. Not interested in your point scoring today thanks.

I bet you aren't.
Grenfell Tower victims on 14:23 - Jun 20 with 8127 viewsClapham_Junction

Grenfell Tower victims on 13:32 - Jun 20 by GlasgowBlue

Jaywick was evacuated earlier this year due to possible flooding. Were people just told to leave or did the council organise the evacuation and find shelter for people?

The council set up two rest centres and provided transport to them. They also apparently knocked on almost every door in Jaywick to tell people about it.

https://www.essex.police.uk/news/news-and-features/2017/01jan/evacuation-of-jayw
Grenfell Tower victims on 14:28 - Jun 20 with 8110 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grenfell Tower victims on 14:23 - Jun 20 by Clapham_Junction

The council set up two rest centres and provided transport to them. They also apparently knocked on almost every door in Jaywick to tell people about it.

https://www.essex.police.uk/news/news-and-features/2017/01jan/evacuation-of-jayw

Thanks. There seems to be a stark difference between how organised those two councils are.

Iron Lion Zion

Grenfell Tower victims on 14:28 - Jun 20 with 8107 viewsIllinoisblue

Grenfell Tower victims on 12:42 - Jun 20 by Archer4721

did you go to help or just to look?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Grenfell Tower victims on 14:31 - Jun 20 with 8084 viewsFrimleyBlue

What frustrates me are those who are claiming things are taking too long.

Im aorry but its not just a case of picking a house and saying here you go..

Its a horrid event. But there needs to be understanding that this is a logisital nightmare too

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Grenfell Tower victims on 14:36 - Jun 20 with 8065 viewsGavTWTD

I think in their situation I'd much rather be with friends than in a stale hotel.

It must be a nightmare to locate people if they lost phones and proof of id in the fire. Many may be "off the grid" and not want help at the moment if there's such a backlash against the council.

A mate of mine lives in a similar block of flats in a different part of the country, but that too has been refurbished in the last couple of years.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Grenfell Tower victims on 14:36 - Jun 20 with 8058 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here we go again.

I was pretty much guessing, but it seems that resident status is one of the issues - http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2017/06/19/concerns-grow-that-grenfell-survivors-

There's mention in there of an amnesty for any illegals caught up in this if they come forward. That's probably a sensible course of action to get the information that's needed.

God knows how they unravel all of this. Unrelated, but something that stuck out in the aftermath was an interview with a teenager who managed to get out of the flat and then went on and sat a GCSE in the afternoon! Talk about getting back to normal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024