Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. 02:27 - Jul 29 with 10453 viewsGunnsAirkick

Really is a hellhole, I don't think anywhere in East Anglia can better it for sh!tness. I live in Norwich, lovely place but this road, Jesus effing Christ.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 05:40 - Jul 29 with 6838 viewsuefacup81

Just drove down there at about 5am to catch the train. Absolutely disgusting place. Rubbish all over the street, and the casualties of the night before still sprawled on the pavement/in doorways. I try to avoid the place on a night out if I can.

Full credit to the council teams, though. The place'll be spotless by the time normal people are up and about!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 07:07 - Jul 29 with 6747 viewsNo9

Isn't it deliberate that the council try keep it all in one area?
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 07:14 - Jul 29 with 6726 viewsIpswich24

You obviously haven't been to Jaywick then!

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 08:05 - Jul 29 with 6627 viewsHerbivore

It is horrific but at the same time it does confine all of the chavvy drinks and yoots in that one part of the city, leaving the rest of it for decent people to enjoy with more or less no fear of violence.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:02 - Jul 29 with 6527 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Sorry, but whole swathes of Ipswich are a dump.

BOT

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:03 - Jul 29 with 6523 viewsAdmiralFunge

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:02 - Jul 29 by BorisOrTrevor

And what?

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:46 - Jul 29 with 6453 viewsLord_Lucan

I ventured down there a few weeks ago and have to report that it doesn't hold a candle to The Cattlemarket in Ipswich.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:53 - Jul 29 with 6430 viewsTLA

I walk up and down PoW Road a few times a week - it can be really pleasant in the daytime.

A pint of Aspall on a sunny day by the river at The Compleat Angler is very pleasant. It's not so good on a Saturday night though, but that can be said for many places. I lived in Oxford for a while and George Street was full of tourists by day and fighting or puking people at night.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 9:57]
Login to get fewer ads

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:56 - Jul 29 with 6419 viewshype313

No different to any other town and city up and down the country on a Saturday night.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:57 - Jul 29 with 6409 viewsTractorWood

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:53 - Jul 29 by TLA

I walk up and down PoW Road a few times a week - it can be really pleasant in the daytime.

A pint of Aspall on a sunny day by the river at The Compleat Angler is very pleasant. It's not so good on a Saturday night though, but that can be said for many places. I lived in Oxford for a while and George Street was full of tourists by day and fighting or puking people at night.

Interesting. Regent Street in Cambridge can be bad on Friday and Saturday evenings. The rest of the city is a dream to go out in.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 10:00 - Jul 29 with 6397 viewsLord_Lucan

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:53 - Jul 29 by TLA

That Compleat Angler ain't half expensive isn't it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 10:00 - Jul 29 with 6395 viewsTLA

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:57 - Jul 29 by TractorWood

Interesting. Regent Street in Cambridge can be bad on Friday and Saturday evenings. The rest of the city is a dream to go out in.

I've only really spent time in Cambridge in the day time but some mates have said it can be very rough at night and they've had a lot of trouble when not expecting it. As others have said, most towns and cities are the same.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 11:55 - Jul 29 with 6235 viewsHerbivore

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 10:00 - Jul 29 by Lord_Lucan

That Compleat Angler ain't half expensive isn't it.

It's one of the sh!tter Norwich pubs as well. Not a fan at all.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:44 - Jul 29 with 6165 viewsArnieM

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 09:02 - Jul 29 by BorisOrTrevor

....and while swathes if Ipswich are lovely.

Ipswich is NO different, and indeed in many cases a lot better, than many other towns/cities up and down the UK.

Just keep some perspective.

For what it's worth my experience of Norwich is that whilst the city centre might be nice the rest of the city resemble Beruit. It has to be the largest ( run down) council estate in the UK?!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:50 - Jul 29 with 6139 viewsTLA

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 11:55 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

It's one of the sh!tter Norwich pubs as well. Not a fan at all.

There are many much better pubs but the discussion was about PoW Road.

It's handy that it's near the station and if you take a pint down the steps and sit on the grassy bank next to the river, it's really nice.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:52 - Jul 29 with 6129 viewsdocklandsblue

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:44 - Jul 29 by ArnieM

Ipswich is NO different, and indeed in many cases a lot better, than many other towns/cities up and down the UK.

For what it's worth my experience of Norwich is that whilst the city centre might be nice the rest of the city resemble Beruit. It has to be the largest ( run down) council estate in the UK?!

Agreed. I've just moved back to Ipswich after 15 years away and am very happy about it, I think they've done a decent job on regeneration since I left and the area around Christchurch Park is brilliant. People slag off Ipswich but having lived away for a long while I was ver pleasantly surprised. The only issue so far in the 3 months since we moved home is a lack of decent takeaways, Kwan Thai is the only good one we've found so far. Other than that it’s smashing.

People slagging off Ipswich for being a hole are probably the same people whinging about the club giving tickets to the NHS - they just want something to complain about.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:56 - Jul 29 with 6115 viewsHerbivore

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:50 - Jul 29 by TLA

There are many much better pubs but the discussion was about PoW Road.

It's handy that it's near the station and if you take a pint down the steps and sit on the grassy bank next to the river, it's really nice.

I prefer the Coach and Horses if I'm having a drink near the station. It is nice by the river though, agreed.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:58 - Jul 29 with 6103 viewsHerbivore

Are you kidding? There's a few estates much like every town/city but there's also large swathes of lovely Victorian and Georgian housing too. Beirut? Blimey.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:58 - Jul 29 with 6103 viewsLord_Lucan

I just don't get that, having spent half a week up here for getting on a year I have got to know the place and I don't recognise it by your description. I am close to what is said to be a dodgy area but it doesn't compare in the slightest to Greenwich, Nacton, Gainsboro etc

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:02 - Jul 29 with 6094 viewsTLA

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:56 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

I prefer the Coach and Horses if I'm having a drink near the station. It is nice by the river though, agreed.

I think the fact that it's so close to the station, and has a riverbank is what I like about it. Somewhere like the Rushcutters is much nicer but just a little too far for a quick pint with a half hour wait.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:03 - Jul 29 with 6088 viewsHerbivore

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:58 - Jul 29 by Lord_Lucan

I just don't get that, having spent half a week up here for getting on a year I have got to know the place and I don't recognise it by your description. I am close to what is said to be a dodgy area but it doesn't compare in the slightest to Greenwich, Nacton, Gainsboro etc

The estates in Norwich have their issues but none of them are especially dangerous.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:20 - Jul 29 with 6039 viewsLord_Lucan

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 12:56 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Coach and Horses is a great pub and I go in there a bit as my largest customer has offices in Yare House next door. I generally frequent The Kings Arms as it is my nearest pub but I'm getting a bit bored of it now as everyone now knows me and I find that irritating. I am banned from the pub opposite but The Rose round the corner has been done out now and is quite nice - in moderation. Lately I have been walking up to The Trafford Arms which is a great pub which sells Ghost Ship - and I am convinced Sophie the bar lady fancies me, I have never been one to even consider straying from my marital vows but these little things do wonders for a 50 year olds ego.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:22 - Jul 29 with 6032 viewsGunnsAirkick

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:03 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

The estates in Norwich have their issues but none of them are especially dangerous.

I'd have to question that for Larkman/West Earlham. I've been assaulted there before, as has my friend (separate incident) and I've heard similar stories. Violence usually seems to be against students (I was one then). That said my local when I was living there was really welcoming and I never had any hassle there, you get good and bad people everywhere.

Norwich on the whole is a nice place. Don't get the comment about run down council estate, there are a few but no more than anywhere else. It has some really nice old architecture too, bizarre comment (not you I know!) I now live near Heartsease, it has a reputation but really isn't that bad.
Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:27 - Jul 29 with 6015 viewsHerbivore

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:22 - Jul 29 by GunnsAirkick

I'd have to question that for Larkman/West Earlham. I've been assaulted there before, as has my friend (separate incident) and I've heard similar stories. Violence usually seems to be against students (I was one then). That said my local when I was living there was really welcoming and I never had any hassle there, you get good and bad people everywhere.

Norwich on the whole is a nice place. Don't get the comment about run down council estate, there are a few but no more than anywhere else. It has some really nice old architecture too, bizarre comment (not you I know!) I now live near Heartsease, it has a reputation but really isn't that bad.

I lived on Earlham for a year and never had much bother (some yoots did throw a makeshift petrol bomb in our back garden but that was just banter) but yeah, that is the worst estate and if you're unlucky you can run into the wrong people at the wrong time. Heartsease is fine, actually a fair few older people and families as opposed to lots of wrong uns even though it's mainly a council estate.

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. on 13:27 - Jul 29 with 6012 viewsGunnsAirkick

I usually avoid Prince of Wales Road if I can and go round the back roads to avoid all the puke and passed out people but ended up there on a night out for some reason. I don't even like going down there during the day because the traffic smell is awful and there's usually some detritus left over from the previous night, funnily enough it mostly seems the people who cause trouble come from various smaller towns and villages in East Anglia. I sometimes go in the Compleat Angler, it's not that greatest but alright for a quick pint before getting a train as it's the closest pub (bit like the Station Hotel in Ipswich), as said the beer garden isn't bad either. The best pub around that way is The Jubilee though (just up the hill from the train station), Coach and Horses is good too (cracking burgers!)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024