Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ball Retention 14:36 - Aug 30 with 6405 viewsgibbsm1

Is anybody able to put a finger on why our ball retention is so poor? On Saturday in particular the opposition were far superior in keeping the ball and it looked like they had two more players on the pitch than us.

We don't seem to need much possession to create and score goals because we move the ball into space quickly and have had some luck (to be fair) in front of goal this season. We also don't seem to be keen on playing that many long balls this season, but we do need more ability to keep hold of the ball to relieve pressure if nothing else.

I think a key issue is that Skuse can't play in a 2 man midfield. He contributes to the team as a screen but is poor being in making himself available as a distribution option, and rarely cycles he ball into a better area.

When people are back fit, if we can get a functioning midfield going then we could add more of a possession element to our game. I hope so as it makes the games a far more relaxing watch.

Ball Retention on 14:40 - Aug 30 with 4666 viewskizaitfc

For me its the two CMs, they dont carry the ball well enough, they are forced to panic and then either go back for the CB or keeper to lump it, or they lump it themselves.

The youngsters have been far better at this, Downes, Nydam and Dozzell. I really hope he realises one of the reason the fans are coming back on side is down to him playing these.

My worry is once Huws and Adeymi are back the youngsters dont get a look in

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Ball Retention on 14:42 - Aug 30 with 4652 viewsNazemariner

As you said really. We don't have anyone who wants the responsibility of taking the ball off of the back five. Bishop tries to do it on the rare occasion that he is fit enough to play, and Kevin Brus only real quality is that he looks to take control of the play.

Let's hope that Tom Adeyemi is that kind of player, or we will be playing counter attack, or worse still long ball, for the remainder of the season.
Ball Retention on 14:50 - Aug 30 with 4625 viewskizaitfc

Ball Retention on 14:42 - Aug 30 by Nazemariner

As you said really. We don't have anyone who wants the responsibility of taking the ball off of the back five. Bishop tries to do it on the rare occasion that he is fit enough to play, and Kevin Brus only real quality is that he looks to take control of the play.

Let's hope that Tom Adeyemi is that kind of player, or we will be playing counter attack, or worse still long ball, for the remainder of the season.

Bishop is also very good at it, certainly something the youngsters have been working on.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Ball Retention on 14:51 - Aug 30 with 4628 viewsNo9

I have come to the conclusion the inability to hold and make the ball do the work is entirely down to one man - MM.
This is from my viewpoint is how he sets his teams up. I hope he will get out of it as some of the promising youngsters emerge from the academy but I am not holding my breath.
Ball Retention on 14:59 - Aug 30 with 4600 viewssilkcutblue

It is because we are not very gòod innit some would have you believe it's only about winning , style and possession don't matter
Why don't you.... on 15:01 - Aug 30 with 4585 viewsBloots

Ball Retention on 14:51 - Aug 30 by No9

I have come to the conclusion the inability to hold and make the ball do the work is entirely down to one man - MM.
This is from my viewpoint is how he sets his teams up. I hope he will get out of it as some of the promising youngsters emerge from the academy but I am not holding my breath.

...try and hold your breath?

Go on.

Please.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Why don't you.... on 15:08 - Aug 30 with 4565 viewsNo9

Why don't you.... on 15:01 - Aug 30 by Bloots

...try and hold your breath?

Go on.

Please.

Not for you
How about for.... on 15:12 - Aug 30 with 4551 viewsBloots

Why don't you.... on 15:08 - Aug 30 by No9

Not for you

....the whole of humanity?

Your popularity would increase massively.

You could be a martyr for a whole generation of internet trolls.

Login to get fewer ads

Ball Retention on 15:20 - Aug 30 with 4527 viewsSteve_M

On Saturday, we effectively had two in midfield against five, there were no options to easily recycle possession. Comparing us to Fulham is a bit harsh here - they were excellent and are clearly the best side at keeping the ball in the division - but we have certainly been an outlier the other way in recent seasons.

We showed good signs against Birmingham and Luton of being better in possession, having players in midfield available for a short pass which was a whole lot better at retaining and moving the ball. Injuries have knocked that back a bit but hopefully we'll carry on trying to do that rather than shoehorning four strikers into the team.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How about for.... on 15:21 - Aug 30 with 4522 viewsNo9

How about for.... on 15:12 - Aug 30 by Bloots

Nah- you're making it up again.
Ball Retention on 15:26 - Aug 30 with 4505 viewsJeanManuelThetis

It was surprisingly good in the opening game against Birmingham; possibly the best I've seen from Town in a while! Whether that was because of Dozzell and Ward in the middle holding on to it, or because Birmingham were terrible... but it shows our players can theoretically do it.
Ball Retention on 15:27 - Aug 30 with 4494 viewsNo9

Ball Retention on 15:26 - Aug 30 by JeanManuelThetis

It was surprisingly good in the opening game against Birmingham; possibly the best I've seen from Town in a while! Whether that was because of Dozzell and Ward in the middle holding on to it, or because Birmingham were terrible... but it shows our players can theoretically do it.

Some of them
How about for.... on 15:27 - Aug 30 with 4494 viewsartsbossbeard

How about for.... on 15:12 - Aug 30 by Bloots

The Soldiers of Doom will still march on.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

How about for.... on 15:29 - Aug 30 with 4475 viewsNo9

How about for.... on 15:27 - Aug 30 by artsbossbeard

The Soldiers of Doom will still march on.

The objective must always be to try to distinguish between optomism & foolishness
Ball Retention on 15:35 - Aug 30 with 4433 viewsNazemariner

Ball Retention on 15:20 - Aug 30 by Steve_M

On Saturday, we effectively had two in midfield against five, there were no options to easily recycle possession. Comparing us to Fulham is a bit harsh here - they were excellent and are clearly the best side at keeping the ball in the division - but we have certainly been an outlier the other way in recent seasons.

We showed good signs against Birmingham and Luton of being better in possession, having players in midfield available for a short pass which was a whole lot better at retaining and moving the ball. Injuries have knocked that back a bit but hopefully we'll carry on trying to do that rather than shoehorning four strikers into the team.

I'd say that was mainly Dozzells doing.
Ball Retention on 15:38 - Aug 30 with 4424 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse, a big part of his role should be to show for the ball and pop passes off to the lads who can play a bit more. He doesn't, so this is one reason for the lack of fluidity in the centre of the pitch. If we had a Matty Holland playing instead of Skuse, we'd be far more effective in this. Holland was no Magilton, but he could handle the ball and also add some steel.....as Skuse apparently does.
I'd suggest your objective.... on 15:38 - Aug 30 with 4416 viewsBloots

How about for.... on 15:29 - Aug 30 by No9

The objective must always be to try to distinguish between optomism & foolishness

...should initially be to spell them both.

Ball Retention on 15:39 - Aug 30 with 4410 viewscbower

Ball Retention on 15:20 - Aug 30 by Steve_M

It will be very interesting to see Mick's midfield when more players are available. I would imagine Huws would be a starter and he is very attached to Skuse. However, I reckon Cole will start to come under increasing pressure for his place. Whilst I see what he gives us, it might not be enough to keep others with a bit more variety to their game out of the team. It wouldn't surprise me to see him no longer the permanent fixture he has been come the end of the seaso, beginning of next.

bluescouser

Ball Retention on 15:40 - Aug 30 with 4404 viewsSteve_M

Ball Retention on 15:35 - Aug 30 by Nazemariner

I'd say that was mainly Dozzells doing.

It worked as well with Downes on so it wasn't just down to one player; more the team set up and the fact we had players close enough together to support each other.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ball Retention on 15:47 - Aug 30 with 4380 viewsNazemariner

Ball Retention on 15:40 - Aug 30 by Steve_M

It worked as well with Downes on so it wasn't just down to one player; more the team set up and the fact we had players close enough together to support each other.

Ward had a good game that day, but once Dozzell left the pitch we tended to rely on quick breaks.
I'd suggest your objective.... on 16:17 - Aug 30 with 4307 viewshoppy

I'd suggest your objective.... on 15:38 - Aug 30 by Bloots

Be foolish not to, really.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I'd suggest your objective.... on 16:20 - Aug 30 with 4297 viewsNo9

I'd suggest your objective.... on 15:38 - Aug 30 by Bloots

Not really, you understood what I meant
Ball Retention on 16:24 - Aug 30 with 4290 viewsPilgrimblue

Ball Retention on 15:39 - Aug 30 by cbower

It will be very interesting to see Mick's midfield when more players are available. I would imagine Huws would be a starter and he is very attached to Skuse. However, I reckon Cole will start to come under increasing pressure for his place. Whilst I see what he gives us, it might not be enough to keep others with a bit more variety to their game out of the team. It wouldn't surprise me to see him no longer the permanent fixture he has been come the end of the seaso, beginning of next.

It certainly will and agree with all comments on having mid that thinks forward and not backwards.
The main issue for me though is Bart's kicking and the way MM sets up his team.
90% of his kicks are just hopeful hoofs to an extremely crowded area of the pitch. Only once in last game did Kenlock stay out wide to receive pass from Bart's goal kick. Unfortunately he didn't make the most of it BUT if Skuse is the defensive midfielder he's supposed to be he's drop back to take pass and then build up play (like all other teams do!).
Occasionally Bart does throw and it works but nobody is looking for the ball to start off with (MM coaching) so Bart has no option but to kick. That was alright when we had Murphy as he did win more than 50% of headers but now we've got forwards that aren't
build the same.
If we want to play with more possession and give the forwards more chances then it must start at the back. The U23s do so they're being coached to retain possession by passing out to our players who then move forward. Simple really!!
Ball Retention on 16:33 - Aug 30 with 4270 viewsbraveblue

Centre of midfield and lack of ability.
Ball Retention on 16:36 - Aug 30 with 4264 viewsNo9

Ball Retention on 16:24 - Aug 30 by Pilgrimblue

It certainly will and agree with all comments on having mid that thinks forward and not backwards.
The main issue for me though is Bart's kicking and the way MM sets up his team.
90% of his kicks are just hopeful hoofs to an extremely crowded area of the pitch. Only once in last game did Kenlock stay out wide to receive pass from Bart's goal kick. Unfortunately he didn't make the most of it BUT if Skuse is the defensive midfielder he's supposed to be he's drop back to take pass and then build up play (like all other teams do!).
Occasionally Bart does throw and it works but nobody is looking for the ball to start off with (MM coaching) so Bart has no option but to kick. That was alright when we had Murphy as he did win more than 50% of headers but now we've got forwards that aren't
build the same.
If we want to play with more possession and give the forwards more chances then it must start at the back. The U23s do so they're being coached to retain possession by passing out to our players who then move forward. Simple really!!

I believe this point was dealt with by OsborneOneNil.

& you have made a similar point after BUT.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024