Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? 02:29 - Jan 5 with 12438 viewsRyorry

When I started following us in the mid 1970s we were 1. Successful 2. Attractive to watch 3. Had a Chairman and Board who were shrewd football people. 4. Respected as a well run family club in every way, incl care of pitch, ground & fans.

We haven't a single one of those right now. I've never been so depressed as a Town fan, and as we long-standing oldies drift away, I don't see how we can be attracting any newbies in. Feels like a downward spiral. Something has to change if that's going to be prevented.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 02:48 - Jan 5 with 7331 viewsIllinoisblue

ITFC is in dire need of root and branch reform. But that requires effort, time, love and passion. None of which Evans genuinely seems to have for the footballing part of his empire. Just some of what's needed:

Drastic rethink on ST prices. Follow the Bradford/Huddersfield way and go with 200 quid STs. Bradford are in Division 3 and get 20k every game. It can work.

Clean up the ground. The little things matter. Clean the damn mould off the North Stand roof and cladding. Scrub the mess off the Alf and Bobby statues.

Employ an Operations Manager to be a figurehead of the club. Milne can take his unqualified Chelsea-supporting ass elsewhere.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 04:14 - Jan 5 with 7297 viewsBenters2

I feel the same way Ryorry its all so sad.

Loads i know just use the football as a excuse for a P1ssup now,a escape from family life,i know myself if i go over my local and get mullered Lady B has a moan at me,yet if i go to football and get mullered she asks if ive had a good day!?

Sorry for rambling,but i know in the little group i used to go with at some games there were 10-12 of us,when i can be arsed to go now there is about 4-5,so many have gave up.

My next game is Leeds,if it goes tits up,will there be a angry crowd? or like me will people just stand there huffing and puffing?

Sad times.
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 07:42 - Jan 5 with 7217 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 04:14 - Jan 5 by Benters2

I feel the same way Ryorry its all so sad.

Loads i know just use the football as a excuse for a P1ssup now,a escape from family life,i know myself if i go over my local and get mullered Lady B has a moan at me,yet if i go to football and get mullered she asks if ive had a good day!?

Sorry for rambling,but i know in the little group i used to go with at some games there were 10-12 of us,when i can be arsed to go now there is about 4-5,so many have gave up.

My next game is Leeds,if it goes tits up,will there be a angry crowd? or like me will people just stand there huffing and puffing?

Sad times.

No huffing and puffing, just a general feeling of depression I reckon.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 07:46 - Jan 5 with 7216 viewschristiand

Yes all very uninspiring stuff really Ryorry and I have to agree with you. To keep doing things on the cheap and cutting corners I think we all know what inevitably will happen, League 1 beckons. The crowds will continue to dwindle while the hard core will remain, think we'll ultimately get 10-12K for home games. Slowly, becoming devoid of feeling now when Ipswich lose seems like we are entitled to compete with only a handful of sides in this league due to their level of spend, so should expect defeat in most cases.

Generally, I do have little sympathy for our owner there have been numerous cock-ups off the field which he must have sanctioned - you reap what you sow! Interesting that clubs less fashionable like Charlton and Barnsley are able to attract new buyers and we seem unable to?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 07:53 - Jan 5 with 7195 viewsBenters2

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 07:42 - Jan 5 by BrettenhamBlue

No huffing and puffing, just a general feeling of depression I reckon.

Nobody cares anymore do they?

You only have to look at the NS roof ffs!
[Post edited 5 Jan 2018 7:54]
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:01 - Jan 5 with 7170 viewsSteve_M

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 02:48 - Jan 5 by Illinoisblue

ITFC is in dire need of root and branch reform. But that requires effort, time, love and passion. None of which Evans genuinely seems to have for the footballing part of his empire. Just some of what's needed:

Drastic rethink on ST prices. Follow the Bradford/Huddersfield way and go with 200 quid STs. Bradford are in Division 3 and get 20k every game. It can work.

Clean up the ground. The little things matter. Clean the damn mould off the North Stand roof and cladding. Scrub the mess off the Alf and Bobby statues.

Employ an Operations Manager to be a figurehead of the club. Milne can take his unqualified Chelsea-supporting ass elsewhere.

"effort, time, love and passion"

Yep, none of those are coming from the top of this club. The half-arsed (I'm probably being generous here) nature of the off-pitch stuff is a big factor driving the apathy of fans. On the odd occasions when an effort is made - Arsenal semi final, Robson tribute - the difference is stark.

And as much as we are somewhat restricted because other clubs outspend us we're only making the best use of what we have because of the current manager and that's only on the pitch. Off the pitch, it's down to the enthusiasm of a handful of people to keep things ticking over and most of those seem to be self-taught.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:02 - Jan 5 with 7174 viewsSWGF

I have a 10yr old who's gone through a structured, intensive indoctrination since day one and it's a struggle to get him to come along. If there's anything else going on, he'll do that instead. Me, I'll trudge along regardless.

He's had a ST since he was 6 so he's watched some absolute tripe. It's got to the stage whereby the discussion is what *not* to take from the way that we play when discussing his own team and how football should be played.

People need something to get excited about, they need to see that some tangible progress is being made, a plan or project to follow. We get none of that. The rot is well and truly set in.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:20 - Jan 5 with 7129 viewsitfcjoe

Good post, and the honest answer is no idea!

The club still do some decent stuff in the community, but that is very local to Ipswich - and ultimately success on the pitch is what is required and that looks a long way away.

For all Mick's good and bad points, and the fact the chairman shouldn't just pander to the fans whims generally - the fact he is allowing this situation to fester as much as it is is turning people away from the club daily. I can't say I'd be surprised if there is no clarity regarding the managers position by the time the ST renewals drop on peoples doorsteps, but will be a suicidal non-move from Evans - especially if form continues to remain dipped which is likely without Bart (and McG).

A meek FA Cup exit with a 2nd string team will be another nail in the coffin for many

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:39 - Jan 5 with 7092 viewsRegencyBlue

Spot on Ryorry!

The Evans regime is slowly killing us, on and off the pitch.
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:39 - Jan 5 with 7093 viewsRadlett_blue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 07:46 - Jan 5 by christiand

Yes all very uninspiring stuff really Ryorry and I have to agree with you. To keep doing things on the cheap and cutting corners I think we all know what inevitably will happen, League 1 beckons. The crowds will continue to dwindle while the hard core will remain, think we'll ultimately get 10-12K for home games. Slowly, becoming devoid of feeling now when Ipswich lose seems like we are entitled to compete with only a handful of sides in this league due to their level of spend, so should expect defeat in most cases.

Generally, I do have little sympathy for our owner there have been numerous cock-ups off the field which he must have sanctioned - you reap what you sow! Interesting that clubs less fashionable like Charlton and Barnsley are able to attract new buyers and we seem unable to?

If we look purely at the financial reality of the situation, falling season ticket numbers & attendances (which the club has tried to conceal) don't have that big an impact on the finances of the football club. Last season, gate receipts fell from £6.5m to £5.1m & yes, they may be down by another £1m or so this season. However, we are also getting a rising £8m or so from TV & "solidarity" payments so the impact on overall income is not dramatic, while the wage bill is £17m or so. I assume Evans thinks that cutting prices isn't going to produce enough of an increase in attendances to boost revenue.
Town remain, as they have done for the last few years, in limbo as Evans invests enough to keep Town in tier 2 until he wants to sell.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:53 - Jan 5 with 7062 viewsRonFearonsHair

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:39 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

If we look purely at the financial reality of the situation, falling season ticket numbers & attendances (which the club has tried to conceal) don't have that big an impact on the finances of the football club. Last season, gate receipts fell from £6.5m to £5.1m & yes, they may be down by another £1m or so this season. However, we are also getting a rising £8m or so from TV & "solidarity" payments so the impact on overall income is not dramatic, while the wage bill is £17m or so. I assume Evans thinks that cutting prices isn't going to produce enough of an increase in attendances to boost revenue.
Town remain, as they have done for the last few years, in limbo as Evans invests enough to keep Town in tier 2 until he wants to sell.

Presumably every club gets the £8m TV payments though, so they make us no better off relative to others? Not everyone will by £1m down in gate receipts.
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:56 - Jan 5 with 7054 viewsRadlett_blue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:53 - Jan 5 by RonFearonsHair

Presumably every club gets the £8m TV payments though, so they make us no better off relative to others? Not everyone will by £1m down in gate receipts.

Yes, having £1m less to spend in a season makes us slightly less competitive. but in the context of a wage bill of £17m, only 6% less competitive. The point that I'm making is that while the inexorable decline in gates is a bad thing as fewer people feel inclined to watch Town & lose interest, it doesn't actually make a massive difference to our finances or playing budget, although it probably makes Evans a bit keener to cash on on Kieffer Moore, for example.

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 09:39 - Jan 5 with 7007 viewschristiand

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:39 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

I am grateful ME puts in 'X' amount each year to keep us going, but what I find bizarre is his brand is emblazoned across Ipswich Town FC, what it represents and he seems content with that, even though it is a second rate product that looks tired and treats its 'customers' (I meant fans) with little consideration at times. I admire how he remains so loyal to his manager's, but sometimes he needs to act sooner rather than letting things drift - be a leader!

I appreciate things move on and Ipswich Town is now recognised as a business, but a lot of us have been spoilt in the past with the club focused primarily on: community, family and to a certain extent entertainment. For me all those facets have slowly been eroded away. Now it seems it is about keeping the club alive and spending the bare minimum to do it. That is what is so sad for me because ultimately we are only going one way and it certainly isn't upwards.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 10:16 - Jan 5 with 6967 viewsRadlett_blue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 09:39 - Jan 5 by christiand

I am grateful ME puts in 'X' amount each year to keep us going, but what I find bizarre is his brand is emblazoned across Ipswich Town FC, what it represents and he seems content with that, even though it is a second rate product that looks tired and treats its 'customers' (I meant fans) with little consideration at times. I admire how he remains so loyal to his manager's, but sometimes he needs to act sooner rather than letting things drift - be a leader!

I appreciate things move on and Ipswich Town is now recognised as a business, but a lot of us have been spoilt in the past with the club focused primarily on: community, family and to a certain extent entertainment. For me all those facets have slowly been eroded away. Now it seems it is about keeping the club alive and spending the bare minimum to do it. That is what is so sad for me because ultimately we are only going one way and it certainly isn't upwards.

I reckon Evans sponsoring Town is one of his clever tax dodges.
"Marcus Evans Group" is hardly a global consumer brand, is it?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 10:20 - Jan 5 with 6959 viewsITFC_Forever

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:20 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

Good post, and the honest answer is no idea!

The club still do some decent stuff in the community, but that is very local to Ipswich - and ultimately success on the pitch is what is required and that looks a long way away.

For all Mick's good and bad points, and the fact the chairman shouldn't just pander to the fans whims generally - the fact he is allowing this situation to fester as much as it is is turning people away from the club daily. I can't say I'd be surprised if there is no clarity regarding the managers position by the time the ST renewals drop on peoples doorsteps, but will be a suicidal non-move from Evans - especially if form continues to remain dipped which is likely without Bart (and McG).

A meek FA Cup exit with a 2nd string team will be another nail in the coffin for many

Nail on head.

There will be a non-decision from ME by the time ST renewals go out, there will be no Bart (and perhaps McG) and we'll be out of the FAC with a whimper in the next 36 hours.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 11:14 - Jan 5 with 6908 viewsHerbivore

When I started following us we had John Duncan, Graham Harbey and crowds under 10k. I'm sure we'll pull the fans in still, although we could do more for sure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:17 - Jan 5 with 6863 viewsNo9

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 02:48 - Jan 5 by Illinoisblue

I don't think its just ITFC, I believe the whole football thing in England is in dire need of the root & branch reform you refer to
Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:29 - Jan 5 with 6842 viewsBrixtonBlue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 11:14 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

When I started following us we had John Duncan, Graham Harbey and crowds under 10k. I'm sure we'll pull the fans in still, although we could do more for sure.

That's a good point actually. I started following us then as well. It was quite exciting at first (I went about 14 games before I saw us lose) but then it went a bit crap.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:33 - Jan 5 with 6833 viewshampstead_blue

I fear that alluding to those days isn't going to help.

We are a stable club. I'd rather be that than a basket case - QPR, Notts Forest, ect ect.

If the price of stability is that we always an outside bet for the play-offs then so be it.
The current strategy is better than it appears.

1 - Have a low wage bill and spending budget
2 - Get the club to near the play-offs and with some luck get into the top 6
3 - Get into the Prem or stay in the Champ.

Stability is boring but.....it is stability.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:49 - Jan 5 with 6810 viewsRyorry

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 11:14 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

But that was purely a manager thing - the Chairman, Board, infrastructure & general running of the club were all sound, unlike now, so there was always hope that things could change & improve. What's in football to attract anyone if the hope isn't there? nor any excitement, as Christiand said so well.

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:52 - Jan 5 with 6803 viewsRyorry

"Employ an Operations Manager to be a figurehead of the club."

Not sure what that would entail? Otherwise agree with everything else you say.

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:55 - Jan 5 with 6786 viewsBLUEBEAT

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 08:02 - Jan 5 by SWGF

I have a 10yr old who's gone through a structured, intensive indoctrination since day one and it's a struggle to get him to come along. If there's anything else going on, he'll do that instead. Me, I'll trudge along regardless.

He's had a ST since he was 6 so he's watched some absolute tripe. It's got to the stage whereby the discussion is what *not* to take from the way that we play when discussing his own team and how football should be played.

People need something to get excited about, they need to see that some tangible progress is being made, a plan or project to follow. We get none of that. The rot is well and truly set in.

That’s interesting as my lad is 10 too and loves going to matches.

I’m the one who looks for reasons not to go 😄

Poll: W or W

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 13:09 - Jan 5 with 6763 viewsRyorry

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 09:39 - Jan 5 by christiand

Absolutely spot on. I find it utterly bizzarre that ME thinks it's good publicity to have his name & *hospitality* businesses! for heaven's sake! attached to us as we are/have been over the past couple of years. I can just about understand the current lack of big bucks put in (tho like everyone else I would of course like more). But to allow the ground to remain in a shabby state, even deteriorate, with the roof filthy, and even the statues not cleaned - WTF?! How much does that cost? Peanuts, comparatively, and it's just another indication that ME doesn't genuinely care about us as a football club.

Surely anyone with a grain of business sense, never mind passion, would make make a huge thing of the statues - polish them up, make them centre-pieces of little tribute areas with plaques, plants, power points for interviews when the weather's decent which would highlight our history & tradition etc., be free publicity & help us fans feel better.

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 13:41 - Jan 5 with 6707 viewsitfcjoe

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:49 - Jan 5 by Ryorry

But that was purely a manager thing - the Chairman, Board, infrastructure & general running of the club were all sound, unlike now, so there was always hope that things could change & improve. What's in football to attract anyone if the hope isn't there? nor any excitement, as Christiand said so well.

It's different times though, there wasn't the scrutiny of owners etc and wasn't the need for owners to pump in ridiculius sums of money every year to just stand still

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 13:50 - Jan 5 with 6690 viewsRadlett_blue

Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this? on 12:17 - Jan 5 by No9

I don't think its just ITFC, I believe the whole football thing in England is in dire need of the root & branch reform you refer to

Yes, the Premier League is still pulling in more TV viewers than ever, especially overseas so everyone associated with it is getting richer. The Championship is sustained purely by enough (largely foreign) owners spending silly money in the hope of getting their hands on the kudos (and lolly) available in the Premier League.
Everything else is a bit of a mess, but that doesn't matter to the people in charge.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024