Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals 11:57 - Jan 25 with 8547 viewsLord_Lucan

but can anyone explain to this dumbass the difference between a fur coat and a leather jacket?

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/tessuti-removes-animal-fur-clothes-from-ipswic

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 11:59 - Jan 25 with 4373 viewsBenters2

Do Vegans wear fur coats or leather jackets?
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:01 - Jan 25 with 4361 viewsKieran_Knows

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 11:59 - Jan 25 by Benters2

Do Vegans wear fur coats or leather jackets?

Callis will be along any minute now ....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:05 - Jan 25 with 4339 viewsBenters2

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:01 - Jan 25 by Kieran_Knows

Callis will be along any minute now ....

What about leather shoes,i know he plays football,leather footie boots shirley?
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:05 - Jan 25 with 4341 viewsblueislander

On the subject of animals, very sad day today. My son's beautiful and huge black labrador had to be put down. Only 7 years old, but develpoed a massive brain tumour. R.I.P. Nacho.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:08 - Jan 25 with 4313 viewsBenters2

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:05 - Jan 25 by blueislander

On the subject of animals, very sad day today. My son's beautiful and huge black labrador had to be put down. Only 7 years old, but develpoed a massive brain tumour. R.I.P. Nacho.

Poor dawg
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:10 - Jan 25 with 4304 viewsLord_Lucan

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:05 - Jan 25 by blueislander

That's terrible.

I've gone on about this before but so what, I cried like a loon when my dog was put down. I felt lost and empty, two days later I drove to Devon to collect a rescue dog - that didn't end up well though.

Currently have a couple of hounds and I would be lost without them. I actually can't imagine life without a dog.

RIP Nacho.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

on 12:14 - Jan 25 with 4286 views_

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:05 - Jan 25 by Benters2

What about leather shoes,i know he plays football,leather footie boots shirley?

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:15 - Jan 25 with 4273 viewsBenters2

on 12:14 - Jan 25 by _

Never thought about it before.
Login to get fewer ads

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:16 - Jan 25 with 4267 viewsblueislander

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:10 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

That's terrible.

I've gone on about this before but so what, I cried like a loon when my dog was put down. I felt lost and empty, two days later I drove to Devon to collect a rescue dog - that didn't end up well though.

Currently have a couple of hounds and I would be lost without them. I actually can't imagine life without a dog.

RIP Nacho.

He was the most docile creature. My 12 year.old grandaughters are going to be devastated when they get home from school. We are currently thousands of miles away, and our lttle Westie is staying them. I guess that she will get extra cuddles tonight. We always had pets, but had a gap of several years before we got the Westie threeyears ago. She adds a great deal to our lives..
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:19 - Jan 25 with 4257 viewsgerard1947

I'm veggie, I wouldn't have a leather coat or settee but do wear leather shoes, I've tried alternatives without success I admit to feeling hypocritical.

I suppose a leather coat, shoes etc is a byproduct of an animal that will be eaten whereas a fur coat usually comes from a wild animal, bred and kept in unnatural conditions or trapped wild animals. Trapping was always preferred in the wild because it alleviated a hole in the pelt. The way the animal was despatched was particularly cruel I understand.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:22 - Jan 25 with 4224 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry to hear that mate. R.I.P. Nacho.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:23 - Jan 25 with 4220 viewsgerard1947

Very sad, my thoughts are with you and your family. Unless you've lost a dog it's hard to understand the feeling of devastation involved. The last dog I lost was close to losing my dad, the pain was similar.
on 12:25 - Jan 25 with 4203 views_

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:15 - Jan 25 by Benters2

Never thought about it before.

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:26 - Jan 25 with 4197 viewsLord_Lucan

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:19 - Jan 25 by gerard1947

I'm veggie, I wouldn't have a leather coat or settee but do wear leather shoes, I've tried alternatives without success I admit to feeling hypocritical.

I suppose a leather coat, shoes etc is a byproduct of an animal that will be eaten whereas a fur coat usually comes from a wild animal, bred and kept in unnatural conditions or trapped wild animals. Trapping was always preferred in the wild because it alleviated a hole in the pelt. The way the animal was despatched was particularly cruel I understand.

Firstly I don't think you are a hypocrite. If you are a veggie and wear leather shoes then in my mind you are still doing what you can for your beliefs.

With the amount of leather consumed though I can't get my head round the fact that leather is a byproduct.

I completely understand the cruelty aspect on fur though and if I hadn't been such a lazy arse I might have read the article properly.

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:30 - Jan 25 with 4158 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

on 12:25 - Jan 25 by _

Best pair of boots I've ever had were Kangaroo leather, I got on so well in them that I bought 2 pairs each in studs and moulded so I could have the same boots all year round.

Ended up superglueing my fingers together whilst trying to patch a hole in the toe of a couple of them and spent best part of a couple of months with small strips of kangaroo leather glued to my fingers and thumbs.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:32 - Jan 25 with 4139 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sorry to hear that mate

A terrible feeling

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:40 - Jan 25 with 4105 viewsBloomBlue

I'm not totally sure but I believe a coat is a garment you wear over the top of clothing and the bottom of the coat is at knee length. A jacket is similar but shorter, the bottom of the jacket is at waist length. Plus in the below one is made of fur and one of leather
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:51 - Jan 25 with 4072 viewsgerard1947

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:26 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

Firstly I don't think you are a hypocrite. If you are a veggie and wear leather shoes then in my mind you are still doing what you can for your beliefs.

With the amount of leather consumed though I can't get my head round the fact that leather is a byproduct.

I completely understand the cruelty aspect on fur though and if I hadn't been such a lazy arse I might have read the article properly.

I did some work with the UK shoe trade, originally the centres were where the best areas of grazing were, Somerset, Northamptonshire and a bit in Norfolk. Shortfalls in leather were made up by imports as time went on. There's an awful lot of beef consumed worldwide some of the areas where cattle are farmed people haven't tended to wear so much leather, places like India and China.

In my opinion the best shoes are still made in the UK and Italy. Shoes were always my guilty pleasure. I had contacts so didn't pay retail prices. Church's shoes are my favourite, all handmade, they will take shoes back to rebuild and recondition. Not cheap.

Some of the most expensive shoes are made of horse leather I seem to remember.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:53 - Jan 25 with 4066 viewsLord_Lucan

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:16 - Jan 25 by blueislander

He was the most docile creature. My 12 year.old grandaughters are going to be devastated when they get home from school. We are currently thousands of miles away, and our lttle Westie is staying them. I guess that she will get extra cuddles tonight. We always had pets, but had a gap of several years before we got the Westie threeyears ago. She adds a great deal to our lives..

It really is heartbreaking isn't it, I am genuinely saddened for you. Was it a sudden diagnoses or a longer term thing?

I think I might have kept my old mutt alive for a bit too long, selfish really.

On her last night she had some kind of brain issue and kept wondering round in circles not knowing what was going on. I ended up with the great lump on my lap all night just trying to reassure her before the Vets opened and I got them to come round and give the needle. I couldn't watch, I had to go outside. The only good thing was that just when she was put down her muscles relaxed and she shat all over my wife.

I had to carry poor old dead biscuit to the vets car, absolutely awful stuff.

The older you get the more cluttered your living room gets with memorabilia. I've got my Nans ashes in a tupperware beaker behind a photo of her and I've got my Dads ashes somewhere. Burley though has her ashes pride of place on my mantelpiece next to her collar. How bloody sad is that?

12 is a terrible age for your grandaughters to deal with this, too old to dismiss it and too young to put things into context.

Terrible stuff.

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:09 - Jan 25 with 4004 viewsgerard1947

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:53 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

It really is heartbreaking isn't it, I am genuinely saddened for you. Was it a sudden diagnoses or a longer term thing?

On her last night she had some kind of brain issue and kept wondering round in circles not knowing what was going on. I ended up with the great lump on my lap all night just trying to reassure her before the Vets opened and I got them to come round and give the needle. I couldn't watch, I had to go outside. The only good thing was that just when she was put down her muscles relaxed and she shat all over my wife.

The older you get the more cluttered your living room gets with memorabilia. I've got my Nans ashes in a tupperware beaker behind a photo of her and I've got my Dads ashes somewhere. Burley though has her ashes pride of place on my mantelpiece next to her collar. How bloody sad is that?

12 is a terrible age for your grandaughters to deal with this, too old to dismiss it and too young to put things into context.

Terrible stuff.

It's easy to be selfish and keep them going, I've done it myself. Making a timely decision is sometimes your final act of kindness, a vet once said to me better a day early than a day too late. I suppose he was right. My last dog was on his last legs, I let him sleep beside my bed towards the end. During the night I heard him move, a couple of hours later I put my hand down to give him stroke, he was dead. He'd been a faithful friend he even did that right.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:17 - Jan 25 with 3962 viewsblueislander

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 12:53 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

Terrible stuff.

It was very sudden in the end, although, in hindsight, there were signs. It is frustrating that we are miles away, and don't get back till Saturday. The girls will be distraught, but fortunately they have a lot of interests. Many thanks for your kind words and thoughts.
Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:19 - Jan 25 with 3953 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Terrible stuff.

I was 14 when my dog died.

She’s been with my Mum and Dad since a few weeks before I was born so I grew up with her. My little protecter.

Came home from school one day and her bed had gone and my mum said to sit down. I just burst into tears. Worst moment of my life.

Think the fact I never got a ‘goodbge’ to her is why I have my current dog sleep on my bed. At least if the worst happens when I’m away somewhere, I know I’ve had a last cuddle.

Dogs are 1000 times better than people

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:19 - Jan 25 with 3951 viewsLord_Lucan

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:09 - Jan 25 by gerard1947

It's easy to be selfish and keep them going, I've done it myself. Making a timely decision is sometimes your final act of kindness, a vet once said to me better a day early than a day too late. I suppose he was right. My last dog was on his last legs, I let him sleep beside my bed towards the end. During the night I heard him move, a couple of hours later I put my hand down to give him stroke, he was dead. He'd been a faithful friend he even did that right.

Blimey, this thread is ridiculous, how can dogs generate such emotion? I won't see my mutts till Saturday and I can't stop thinking about them now.

I might have to crack a Ghost Ship open.

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:21 - Jan 25 with 3941 viewsmonytowbray

Short answer...

Leather is a byproduct of the food industry mostly.

Fur however is often harvested from animals for no reason other than to get fur or as a byproduct of hunting (which the majority of the population in the UK oppose).

On top of this, some animals in the fur industry are not killed for it either, but have said fur ripped from their skin whilst fit, healthy and fully conscious.

Here's some footage of the sort of thing the fur industry allows to happen to innocent animals if you aren't too sensitive: https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/710920/Rabbit-angora-fur-ripped-out-alive

FYI I agree with neither leather or fur, but the fur industry is by far worse for animals in many cases.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Now I'm not the sort of person that agrees with cruelty to animals on 13:22 - Jan 25 with 3931 viewsmonytowbray

on 12:14 - Jan 25 by _

I've had those ones years too. Need some new ones.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024