Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strange decisions 14:02 - Aug 12 with 3853 viewsAlong

Not talking about the 2 poor results, but generally concerned with the way things are going. Spending millions on average l1 and l2 players in the middle of their careers, just because they have played under PH before??? This is blocking our youngsters coming through, rather play Morris, dozzell,nydam,downes emmanual ahead of these guys. Nothing against taking a punt on young players from lower divisions, MM did this very well and made us millions in profit, but spending millions on these guys seems crazy.

Dozzell played 70 mins against west ham and now isn't even fit enough to be on the bench?? Some players don't need to be super fit but can change a game with skill, were le tissier or gazza ever hitting top basic fitness levels?

Emmanual had a cracking season with rotherham and got promoted, now third choice right back?

Downes and nydham both have a fair bit of champ experience , now pushed behind players with none!!

I know Wolfy is injured, but for Blackburn he was left out for a League 2 right back!!!

Some worrying decisions , hope PH has a rethink.

Strange decisions on 14:05 - Aug 12 with 3811 viewsBasuco

No, not at all.
Strange decisions on 14:14 - Aug 12 with 3764 viewsGuthrum

'... average l1 and l2 players in the middle of their careers ...'

Take another look at the players we've hired. In their early-to-mid 20s, just approaching the peak of their careers. Some of the better prospects from lower down the League (we weren't the only club chasing them). Lads who have been climbing rapidly up the divisons, not stagnating journeymen.

You'd rather play our lads who are several years further back in their development and have more limited experience of competitive senior football?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Strange decisions on 14:22 - Aug 12 with 3709 viewspointofblue

My concerns tend to revolve around playing Skuse and Chalobah together in midfield - it simply feels like one step up from Skuse/Hyam or Skuse/Douglas and for the formation to work we need a better blend. Yes, a finger can be pointed at injuries but I personally think a three of Skuse, Nolan and one of Downes or Nydam would work better than what we have at the moment.

My second concern is whether Donacien is really ready to play at this level - is he an improvement on Spence and Emmanuel? I know he has to be given a chance to find his groove but it feels like we may have splashed out on a position where we had cover already on someone who's not any better than who we already had. Saying that, he does seem to be a marmite player - even yesterday some are raving about him whilst others are criticising.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Strange decisions on 14:32 - Aug 12 with 3672 viewsbadadski

Strange decisions on 14:22 - Aug 12 by pointofblue

My concerns tend to revolve around playing Skuse and Chalobah together in midfield - it simply feels like one step up from Skuse/Hyam or Skuse/Douglas and for the formation to work we need a better blend. Yes, a finger can be pointed at injuries but I personally think a three of Skuse, Nolan and one of Downes or Nydam would work better than what we have at the moment.

My second concern is whether Donacien is really ready to play at this level - is he an improvement on Spence and Emmanuel? I know he has to be given a chance to find his groove but it feels like we may have splashed out on a position where we had cover already on someone who's not any better than who we already had. Saying that, he does seem to be a marmite player - even yesterday some are raving about him whilst others are criticising.

Nothing average about the players signed, most came off the back of an excellent season, were teams or fans player of the season or were in demand by other clubs not just us. It's a gamble but cherry picking the cream of the crop from league 1 or 2 is what we have been screaming out for our managers to do for numerous seasons now.

A gamble but from what I see I like that look of what we are building mixed with our youth and a few players coming back.

We can't compete with the big spenders any more so the money ball approach from lower league star signings and academy is the only way we can go and it's all we ever wanted.

Hold on to your hats and enjoy the ride. It will be a rollercoaster but I am really looking forward to it for the first time in ages.
Strange decisions on 14:52 - Aug 12 with 3622 viewsstrikalite

Agree, young Josh must be pretty down underneath thinking about it, been on the fringes for a while now, even the new man PH decides to bring in someone else before he gets his chance it seems, I do tend to think that if you're brought in your mistakes can be viewed as "needing time" or "settling in".....yet if you're a young Academy lad the same mistake or two deems you as not ready and out you go...is that fair? Seems that way sometimes...
Strange decisions on 15:59 - Aug 12 with 3483 viewsWickets

Could this be rubbish?
Strange decisions on 16:34 - Aug 12 with 3379 viewsITFCBlues

Why would a midfield of Skuse & Downes/Nydam be better than Chalobah?

Downes was poor last weekend so is certainly not a better player in terms of attacking ability. Chalobah is certainly better on the ball than both of the two you’ve mentioned.

That’s not the solution for me at all. The two players we could put in there are Bishop or Huws who I feel would have more of an impact but certainly not Nydam or Downes

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Strange decisions on 16:48 - Aug 12 with 3322 viewsIpswichKnight

Chalobah is I’m afraid light years better than any of our own midfielders to suggest we leave out our best midfielder in the words of our last manager is bonkers.
Login to get fewer ads

Strange decisions on 17:00 - Aug 12 with 3263 viewsKeaneish

Great. Yet another dreadfully misguided and irrational knee jerk post. The very worst of Ipswich town fans out in full force after 180 mins of football.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Strange decisions on 17:03 - Aug 12 with 3249 viewsVic

Fact - Downes was ill yesterday.
Fact - Dozzell is not yet fit and management and medics at the club fea it will do him and the team more harm than good to have been involved in the first two league games.

But please carry on - d9nt let facts get in the way!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Strange decisions on 17:55 - Aug 12 with 3130 viewspointofblue

Strange decisions on 16:34 - Aug 12 by ITFCBlues

Why would a midfield of Skuse & Downes/Nydam be better than Chalobah?

Downes was poor last weekend so is certainly not a better player in terms of attacking ability. Chalobah is certainly better on the ball than both of the two you’ve mentioned.

That’s not the solution for me at all. The two players we could put in there are Bishop or Huws who I feel would have more of an impact but certainly not Nydam or Downes

And how will Downes and Nydam develop if they’re not given the opportunity to play regularly? If we’re going to struggle with creativity we may as well be blooding our own youngsters in the process rather than another club’s. You say Downes isn’t as effective offensively and I agree with you but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t take Chalobah’s position.

I agree Bishop and Huws will give far more balance to the middle but they’re not match fit yet and may not be for a while considering Hurst is, understandably, treating Dozzell with kid gloves.

Strange decisions on 17:59 - Aug 12 with 3106 viewsITFCBlues

Strange decisions on 17:55 - Aug 12 by pointofblue

And how will Downes and Nydam develop if they’re not given the opportunity to play regularly? If we’re going to struggle with creativity we may as well be blooding our own youngsters in the process rather than another club’s. You say Downes isn’t as effective offensively and I agree with you but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t take Chalobah’s position.

I agree Bishop and Huws will give far more balance to the middle but they’re not match fit yet and may not be for a while considering Hurst is, understandably, treating Dozzell with kid gloves.

They’ll develop by going on loan you’d suspect. You play your best players and Downes and Nydam aren’t in that bracket yet. He’s also not at the same level of Chalobah. He’s probably been our best player in the first two games. He’s much better and more composed on the ball than Downes.

Dozzell situation is my main disappointment. Yes he’s been out for a year, but he has just had a full pre-season. Not sure why we’d loan him out myself.

Strange decisions on 18:24 - Aug 12 with 3056 viewsBrixtonBlue

You raise some fair concerns, although Downes would've been involved but was sick.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Strange decisions on 18:42 - Aug 12 with 3009 viewspointofblue

Strange decisions on 17:59 - Aug 12 by ITFCBlues

They’ll develop by going on loan you’d suspect. You play your best players and Downes and Nydam aren’t in that bracket yet. He’s also not at the same level of Chalobah. He’s probably been our best player in the first two games. He’s much better and more composed on the ball than Downes.

Dozzell situation is my main disappointment. Yes he’s been out for a year, but he has just had a full pre-season. Not sure why we’d loan him out myself.

And if the likes of Huws, Bishop, Dozzell and Adeyemi were keeping them out of the side then fine but not a kid from Chelsea who is hardly going to be a long term project for us. If he plays well they’ll give him a Premier loan next season (so if a miracle happens we might get him back); if he doesn’t fulfil his promise we won’t want him back anyway. It’s a very different scenario to Lawrence, Fraser and Celina who offered us something in a position where we lacked both quality and depth.

The only counter argument I can see is Hurst wants to give Downes, Nydam and Dozzell week in, week out football via a loan whilst Chalobah will be dropped the moment someone gets match fit who offers us more balance. And that I get but maybe we should give our academy players a chance at the moment?

The Dozzell situation is odd considering he got a good run out in pre-season and then suddenly has fitness issues. Would a midfield of Skuse, Dozzell and Nolan work or would be too attacking?

Strange decisions on 19:14 - Aug 12 with 2957 viewsITFCBlues

Strange decisions on 18:42 - Aug 12 by pointofblue

And if the likes of Huws, Bishop, Dozzell and Adeyemi were keeping them out of the side then fine but not a kid from Chelsea who is hardly going to be a long term project for us. If he plays well they’ll give him a Premier loan next season (so if a miracle happens we might get him back); if he doesn’t fulfil his promise we won’t want him back anyway. It’s a very different scenario to Lawrence, Fraser and Celina who offered us something in a position where we lacked both quality and depth.

The only counter argument I can see is Hurst wants to give Downes, Nydam and Dozzell week in, week out football via a loan whilst Chalobah will be dropped the moment someone gets match fit who offers us more balance. And that I get but maybe we should give our academy players a chance at the moment?

The Dozzell situation is odd considering he got a good run out in pre-season and then suddenly has fitness issues. Would a midfield of Skuse, Dozzell and Nolan work or would be too attacking?

They’ll go out on loan this season and come back next season better players ready to
Compete for a first team spot.

Chalobah is undoubtedly a better player than Downes is right now and is therefor starting.

I like the look of Dozzell in the midfield three with Nolan and Skuse/Chalobah. When he’s played for England he’s played that holding / less advanced role so I don’t see that being an issue. Perhaps a loan spell Until Xmas would do him a world of good & he’d come back ready to go...

Strange decisions on 19:21 - Aug 12 with 2922 viewsMrTown

Only 3 of the new signings have played under PH before, that means 6 haven’t. Means 66.6% of the new signings have never played for PH along with the rest of the squad.

Give him time, he’s clearly trying to play the right way, give him time it’s 2 games!!

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Strange decisions on 20:02 - Aug 12 with 2835 viewsstrikalite

Strange decisions on 19:14 - Aug 12 by ITFCBlues

They’ll go out on loan this season and come back next season better players ready to
Compete for a first team spot.

Chalobah is undoubtedly a better player than Downes is right now and is therefor starting.

I like the look of Dozzell in the midfield three with Nolan and Skuse/Chalobah. When he’s played for England he’s played that holding / less advanced role so I don’t see that being an issue. Perhaps a loan spell Until Xmas would do him a world of good & he’d come back ready to go...

I wonder whether he thinks Dozzell is a bit lightweight rather than the fitness side? It's tough in the middle and it may be that he thinks he's not quite physically up to it yet...

Just a thought..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024