Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising 22:01 - Nov 9 with 23799 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

https://todaynews.news/2018/11/09/james-mcclean-disciplined-by-stoke-after-calli

Its not about whether he wears a poppy, that's his choice its the disrespect he shows to his host country where he makes a lot of money. Calling Stoke fans 'uneducated cavemen' is was so stupid. Going about how his 'community' has been oppressed by the English/British in Derry. What would he say that to the families innocent victims of the Warrington, Birmingham, Harrods, Hyde Park murdered bombings by 'Feinians' of the IRA. Conflict has victims on both sides not just his 'community', its a two way thing . The Good Friday agreement was brought about for all sides to try and move on from the troubles. McClean needs to realise his community were not the only victims. At least he has apologised, fair play to him Let's hope this doesn't get dragged up again next year..

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:04 - Nov 9 with 8126 viewsWD19

Agree, depressing this constantly gets dragged up unnecessarily.
Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:07 - Nov 9 with 8098 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, it’s definitely James McClean that drags it up every year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:19 - Nov 9 with 8038 viewsartsbossbeard

How would you feel if ex Stoke boss Paul Lambert brought him to itfc?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:20 - Nov 9 with 8032 viewsBryanPlug

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:19 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

How would you feel if ex Stoke boss Paul Lambert brought him to itfc?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:21 - Nov 9 with 8018 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:20 - Nov 9 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

That doesn't answer my question

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:26 - Nov 9 with 7963 viewsjeera

He was abused and gave a bit back. Then they whine about it.

We've seen this before.

Dunno why anyone would want to crow about this tbh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:29 - Nov 9 with 7974 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:26 - Nov 9 by jeera

He was abused and gave a bit back. Then they whine about it.

We've seen this before.

Dunno why anyone would want to crow about this tbh.

It seems an excuse for the op to use the F word and get away with it.

It's quite the derogatory term.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 22:30]

"Let's hope this doesn't get dragged up again next year" on 22:29 - Nov 9 with 7968 viewsDyland

Don't even talk about it then ffs. There is literally nothing to see here. AGAIN.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:35 - Nov 9 with 7920 viewsIllinoisblue

what disrespect has he shown?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:41 - Nov 9 with 7902 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:35 - Nov 9 by Illinoisblue

I'll take this one.

He's had the audacity to be able to play football to a professional standard and be paid for it by an English football club whilst also showing respect to his family who percieve they were wronged during the troubles.

Simpleton farmhands can't see past this.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:42 - Nov 9 with 7891 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:29 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

It seems an excuse for the op to use the F word and get away with it.

It's quite the derogatory term.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 22:30]

The F quote was from McClean himself if you read the article. I don't like his politics but I wouldn't want him because I don't think he's a good player, not for his political beliefs. Would you have wanted Paulo Di Canio in his hey day with his 'far right' views. The likes of Clapham, Spruce and the rest of the Antifa lefties on here would they have wanted him?

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:45 - Nov 9 with 7869 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:42 - Nov 9 by Jonnosdreadlocks

The F quote was from McClean himself if you read the article. I don't like his politics but I wouldn't want him because I don't think he's a good player, not for his political beliefs. Would you have wanted Paulo Di Canio in his hey day with his 'far right' views. The likes of Clapham, Spruce and the rest of the Antifa lefties on here would they have wanted him?

If Pol Pot could put the ball in the back of the net and get us out of our self induced trouble, count me in.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:45 - Nov 9 with 7842 viewsjeera

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:41 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

I'll take this one.

He's had the audacity to be able to play football to a professional standard and be paid for it by an English football club whilst also showing respect to his family who percieve they were wronged during the troubles.

The OP has an obsession with McLean and targets him specifically.

Does he challenge everyone else who doesn't wear a poppy in the street and so don't meet his specified criteria of decency? I hope he does for the sake of consistency.

It also seems he hasn't bothered to read his own link.

McLean's made it clear he is sorry for those who didn't abuse him, who may have got caught up in his response. It's obvious he was right about the knuckle-dragging others.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:47 - Nov 9 with 7828 viewsJ2BLUE

He's been forced to apologise which makes his apology meaningless.

Do you see the lesson here? If everyone was forced to wear a poppy it would make that meaningless too.

He has the freedom to make his own choices.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:47 - Nov 9 with 7844 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:35 - Nov 9 by Illinoisblue

Do you think it would be acceptable for Kane and the England team to flip the bird at the Irish Tricolour at a game in Dublin? No, of course not. So why did McClean go out of his way to be disrespectful. No need for it.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:48 - Nov 9 with 7828 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:47 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

He's been forced to apologise which makes his apology meaningless.

Do you see the lesson here? If everyone was forced to wear a poppy it would make that meaningless too.

He has the freedom to make his own choices.

Yeah, but he won't wear a poppy!

*sniffs*
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 22:49]

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:50 - Nov 9 with 7813 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:47 - Nov 9 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Do you think it would be acceptable for Kane and the England team to flip the bird at the Irish Tricolour at a game in Dublin? No, of course not. So why did McClean go out of his way to be disrespectful. No need for it.

You're obsessed, it's painful to watch.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:50 - Nov 9 with 7834 viewswellhungphil

I think you've got a few basic things wrong here, with respect:
---
Its not about whether he wears a poppy, that's his choice its the disrespect he shows to his host country where he makes a lot of money.

- His host country is the UK. Northern Ireland is in the UK.

Calling Stoke fans 'uneducated cavemen' was so stupid.

- Be more specific please. He called a certain section of them "uneducated cavemen". That section which were abusing him with sectarian chants. His "cavemen" assertion was probably inaccurate, but his "uneducated" assertion was neither inaccurate, nor therefore was it stupid.

Going about how his 'community' has been oppressed by the English/British in Derry. What would he say that to the families innocent victims of the Warrington, Birmingham, Harrods, Hyde Park murdered bombings by 'Fenians' of the IRA.

- There's a fairly good chance that he himself, his parents and his friends were victims of heavy-handed "policing" in Derry in times gone by. There's a good chance that he himself, his parents and his friends did not plant bombs.

Conflict has victims on both sides not just his 'community', its a two way thing . The Good Friday agreement was brought about for all sides to try and move on from the troubles. McClean needs to realise his community were not the only victims.

- This is James' statement via a letter he wrote to Dave Whelan, chairman of Wigan Athletic (his club when this poppy business really kicked off)

=================
Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history — even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles — and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

=================
At least he has apologised, fair play to him.

- To quote James himself: "Whilst I do not believe it is appropriate for me to apologise to those fans who abused me, I do want to whole-heartedly apologise to the vast majority of Stoke City fans who although they may have different views to myself are decent and respectful." Quite a conciliatory tone, I think, and rightfully so, but not directed to those who gave him abuse.

Let's hope this doesn't get dragged up again next year..

- This will be dragged up again next year, by the same uneducated bigots who dragged it up this year, and last year, and etc.

Just for info, not that it should matter - I was born and raised in Cork (Republic of Ireland), Irish father, English mother, lived in Ireland for 25 years, a decade in France, back to Ireland and now in London full time since August 2017.
Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:51 - Nov 9 with 7810 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:41 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

I'll take this one.

Ok, so by your logic, what if some of the Stoke Fans had lost relatives to the IRA? Are they not allowed to 'perceive they were wronged'. Yes, shouting sh@t at him is uncalled for but he brought this on himself and even simpleton farm hands can see that conflict has victims on both sides. The Irish nationalist community do not have exclusive rights to 'victimhood do they?

POTD (n/t) on 22:52 - Nov 9 with 7796 viewsDyland

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:50 - Nov 9 by wellhungphil

I think you've got a few basic things wrong here, with respect:
---
Its not about whether he wears a poppy, that's his choice its the disrespect he shows to his host country where he makes a lot of money.

- His host country is the UK. Northern Ireland is in the UK.

Calling Stoke fans 'uneducated cavemen' was so stupid.

- Be more specific please. He called a certain section of them "uneducated cavemen". That section which were abusing him with sectarian chants. His "cavemen" assertion was probably inaccurate, but his "uneducated" assertion was neither inaccurate, nor therefore was it stupid.

Going about how his 'community' has been oppressed by the English/British in Derry. What would he say that to the families innocent victims of the Warrington, Birmingham, Harrods, Hyde Park murdered bombings by 'Fenians' of the IRA.

- There's a fairly good chance that he himself, his parents and his friends were victims of heavy-handed "policing" in Derry in times gone by. There's a good chance that he himself, his parents and his friends did not plant bombs.

Conflict has victims on both sides not just his 'community', its a two way thing . The Good Friday agreement was brought about for all sides to try and move on from the troubles. McClean needs to realise his community were not the only victims.

- This is James' statement via a letter he wrote to Dave Whelan, chairman of Wigan Athletic (his club when this poppy business really kicked off)

=================
Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history — even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles — and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

=================
At least he has apologised, fair play to him.

- To quote James himself: "Whilst I do not believe it is appropriate for me to apologise to those fans who abused me, I do want to whole-heartedly apologise to the vast majority of Stoke City fans who although they may have different views to myself are decent and respectful." Quite a conciliatory tone, I think, and rightfully so, but not directed to those who gave him abuse.

Let's hope this doesn't get dragged up again next year..

- This will be dragged up again next year, by the same uneducated bigots who dragged it up this year, and last year, and etc.

Just for info, not that it should matter - I was born and raised in Cork (Republic of Ireland), Irish father, English mother, lived in Ireland for 25 years, a decade in France, back to Ireland and now in London full time since August 2017.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:58 - Nov 9 with 7754 viewsartsbossbeard

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:51 - Nov 9 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Ok, so by your logic, what if some of the Stoke Fans had lost relatives to the IRA? Are they not allowed to 'perceive they were wronged'. Yes, shouting sh@t at him is uncalled for but he brought this on himself and even simpleton farm hands can see that conflict has victims on both sides. The Irish nationalist community do not have exclusive rights to 'victimhood do they?

One-upmanship on victimhood isn't a win. You understand that, right?

It's 2018 and I'm happy that a professional footballer is able to articulate his views whether you agree with it or not.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:59 - Nov 9 with 7726 viewsjeera

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:51 - Nov 9 by Jonnosdreadlocks

He has not brought anything on himself, nor has he cried victim.

All he's done is go quietly about his business.

It's others who can't leave the man in peace and don't know when to shut up and stop embarrassing themselves.

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 23:03 - Nov 9 with 7691 viewsJ2BLUE

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 22:59 - Nov 9 by jeera

He has not brought anything on himself, nor has he cried victim.

All he's done is go quietly about his business.

It's others who can't leave the man in peace and don't know when to shut up and stop embarrassing themselves.

Bet you vote Corbyn

God bless Blighty !

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 23:03 - Nov 9 with 7712 viewsLord_Lucan

I didn't mean to down - or upvote it.

I have fat fingers

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Well done Stoke and McLean for apologising on 23:03 - Nov 9 with 7697 viewsmonytowbray

I see JohnnoDreadlocks has gone full “snowflake PC brigade can’t say anything these days without someone getting offended” on us. There’s a joke in that somewhere, if the irony was remotely funny.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024