Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little bit of hope...? 10:00 - Jan 23 with 1885 viewsSitfcB

Surely they would’ve been located by now though? 😔😖

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

A little bit of hope...? on 10:07 - Jan 23 with 1804 viewsTIB

With the tides and adverse weather I guess it widens the potential area they could drift considerably. They're also considering the possibility they landed elsewhere but have not made contact or a passing ship picked them up!?! Both seem wild possibilities...you'd have thought both would be discounted given the time since the incident.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 10:13]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:10 - Jan 23 with 1785 viewsSwansea_Blue

I wonder how they know they made it onto a life raft?

If these 2 are found it'll be on of the most amazing escape stories of the year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:14 - Jan 23 with 1766 viewsclive_baker

Have they located any traces of the plane yet? It staggers me that multiple helicopters and boats etc wouldn't have found any evidence of a small plane it a relatively small stretch of water that is the English Channel, off the coast of Guernsey. Genuine question, how far could the debris drift in that time?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A little bit of hope...? on 10:15 - Jan 23 with 1746 viewsGuthrum

Small object in a very large area of water with poor visibility.

That's assuming they managed to ditch the plane rather than crashing, not an easy thing, especially in the dark and if the sea was choppy. Then that it floated long enough to get the raft out and get onto it. If it's an open raft in this weather, they may not have survived that long before succumbing to exposure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A little bit of hope...? on 10:16 - Jan 23 with 1741 viewsSwansea_Blue

A little bit of hope...? on 10:14 - Jan 23 by clive_baker

Have they located any traces of the plane yet? It staggers me that multiple helicopters and boats etc wouldn't have found any evidence of a small plane it a relatively small stretch of water that is the English Channel, off the coast of Guernsey. Genuine question, how far could the debris drift in that time?

If they know they made it onto a life raft it suggest they made a successful landing on water and you wouldn't expect any large debris. that's all I can think of. Pure speculation of course. All hinges on the accuracy of that life raft comment.

If they did successfully bale I bet they'll be chuffin cold by now (to the point of hypothermia and beyond).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:18 - Jan 23 with 1727 viewsGuthrum

There are reports suspected wreckage has been spotted. Also it's not a small area of water. The 'plane might have gone down at the spot it was last seen on radar, or it might have carried on for miles at a lower altitude. They might have tried to turn back towards the mainland. Currents in that part of the Channel are notoriously strong.

A little bit of hope...? on 10:19 - Jan 23 with 1712 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A little bit of hope...? on 10:10 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

If these 2 are found it'll be on of the most amazing escape stories of the year.

They don’t, they just know one was on board. I assume they’re prioritising it as it’s the only one that could possibly mean they’re still alive and in need of rescue
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 10:21]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:21 - Jan 23 with 1694 viewsGuthrum

I don't read that as they know they succeeded in getting onto the raft, just that they were aware there was one on board the 'plane.

Login to get fewer ads

A little bit of hope...? on 10:21 - Jan 23 with 1693 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tiny object in what is still a huge expanse in reality though - especially as it could have drifted and they don’t know where it went down exactly. And that’s assuming you’re looking for a plane - rather than tiny bits of wreckage floating

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 1684 viewschicoazul

It amazes me that planes go missing full stop.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 1680 viewsTIB

It's a theory at the minute but I read reports a flare was reportedly seen in the rough area the time they lost contact so potentially they're piecing that together with the fact there was a raft on the plane. Aren't there supplies in the rafts? Water? Survival blankets etc?

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:25 - Jan 23 with 1635 viewsBrixtonBlue

A little bit of hope...? on 10:16 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

If they know they made it onto a life raft it suggest they made a successful landing on water and you wouldn't expect any large debris. that's all I can think of. Pure speculation of course. All hinges on the accuracy of that life raft comment.

If they did successfully bale I bet they'll be chuffin cold by now (to the point of hypothermia and beyond).

How would they "know" they made it onto a life raft, and where does it even suggest that? It reads to me that there was a life raft on board and they're just hoping. Nothing more than that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A little bit of hope...? on 10:28 - Jan 23 with 1620 viewsGuthrum

A little bit of hope...? on 10:22 - Jan 23 by chicoazul

It amazes me that planes go missing full stop.

They don't very often. But it's mostly light aircraft which have crashed at sea or in remote locations.

Due to the curvature of the earth, low-level radar coverage is limited in range, therefore doesn't cover everywhere. Light aircraft have very limited facilities for transmitting real-time telemetry, constrained by weight, radio bandwidth and the sheer number of the things (where would all the data be stored?).

A little bit of hope...? on 10:31 - Jan 23 with 1593 viewsIpswichKnight

A little bit of hope...? on 10:28 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

They don't very often. But it's mostly light aircraft which have crashed at sea or in remote locations.

Due to the curvature of the earth, low-level radar coverage is limited in range, therefore doesn't cover everywhere. Light aircraft have very limited facilities for transmitting real-time telemetry, constrained by weight, radio bandwidth and the sheer number of the things (where would all the data be stored?).

This flight wasn't picked up by flight radar ( website ) as it was either flying too low or the transponder was old.
A little bit of hope...? on 10:32 - Jan 23 with 1589 viewsChampionship

A little bit of hope...? on 10:19 - Jan 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They don’t, they just know one was on board. I assume they’re prioritising it as it’s the only one that could possibly mean they’re still alive and in need of rescue
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 10:21]

Quite right. If you look at their 4 options in the tweet from the police, one is hopeless, one means they are safe, one means they are at least out of the water and potentially have access to supplies and the remaining one means they are in the sea with very little in the way of supplies. I've seen one of those rafts on one of the survival programmes. It only had a couple of flares and a little device to catch rain water.

They are naturally focusing on the one where their help is potentially needed most. Lets hope they are right.
A little bit of hope...? on 10:39 - Jan 23 with 1530 viewsGuthrum

A little bit of hope...? on 10:31 - Jan 23 by IpswichKnight

This flight wasn't picked up by flight radar ( website ) as it was either flying too low or the transponder was old.

It doesn't track every light aircraft, anyway. There would be far too many of them.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 10:47]

A little bit of hope...? on 10:44 - Jan 23 with 1484 viewsGuthrum

A little bit of hope...? on 10:32 - Jan 23 by Championship

Quite right. If you look at their 4 options in the tweet from the police, one is hopeless, one means they are safe, one means they are at least out of the water and potentially have access to supplies and the remaining one means they are in the sea with very little in the way of supplies. I've seen one of those rafts on one of the survival programmes. It only had a couple of flares and a little device to catch rain water.

They are naturally focusing on the one where their help is potentially needed most. Lets hope they are right.

The ones which involve landing or ditching and being picked up by a ship - in both cases without having made any contact since - are very unlikely after over 24 hours. Ships have radios, airstrips have telephones (as undoubtedly, do the pilot and passenger, even if they'd landed in a field somewhere).

A little bit of hope...? on 10:46 - Jan 23 with 1465 viewsChampionship

A little bit of hope...? on 10:44 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

The ones which involve landing or ditching and being picked up by a ship - in both cases without having made any contact since - are very unlikely after over 24 hours. Ships have radios, airstrips have telephones (as undoubtedly, do the pilot and passenger, even if they'd landed in a field somewhere).

Agree, sadly.
A little bit of hope...? on 10:58 - Jan 23 with 1406 viewschicoazul

A little bit of hope...? on 10:28 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Interesting. Thanks! Remind me of this when I win the Euro Millions next week and start taking charter flights to Portugal please.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024