Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
China's bottomless thirst for milk 09:09 - Mar 29 with 718 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/29/can-the-world-quench-chinas-

"If China’s demand for dairy triples again by 2050, as projected by state targets and some financial analysts, the typical Chinese person would still consume less than half of what the average European gets through. Given the size of its population, that nevertheless poses an increasingly urgent question: how many cows, and other livestock, can the world actually sustain?"

So nobody can deny the Chinese milk if they want it, the rest of the world has drunk it for centuries and would still drink a lot more. However given the majority of Han Chinese are intolerant of it the goal to increase dairy consumption by 300% seems strange to push it as a wonder solution to many things. It’s also pretty bad for the environment as has been pointed out on here many times.

There really needs to be a joined up international policy on things that create emissions. The free for all we have at the moment is never going to work (and that isn’t the fault of the Chinese although their vast population multiplies any effects, it’s a problem with Western countries as well).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:11 - Mar 29 with 712 viewsfooters

I always thought the Chinese were adverse to milk, lacking an enzyme that breaks it down or summat? Learn something new every day.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:14 - Mar 29 with 702 viewsStokieBlue

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:11 - Mar 29 by footers

I always thought the Chinese were adverse to milk, lacking an enzyme that breaks it down or summat? Learn something new every day.

They are, hence why it seems such a strange thing to push to the populace, especially given the other issues that come along with such a drastic increase in production (emissions, water usage etc).

SB
[Post edited 29 Mar 2019 9:15]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:17 - Mar 29 with 688 viewschicoazul

Me too! I thought it was your Oriental in general. I worked with a Japanese fella who said the Japs call Europeans "butter stinkies" because to their noses we all go round smelling of dairy products.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:22 - Mar 29 with 675 viewsHarry_Palmer

Terrible government policy on pretty much every level, you have to wonder exactly what their motivation for it is. I suspect like most things it comes down to money, it's certainly not for the benefit of the people or the planet.
China's bottomless thirst for milk on 09:23 - Mar 29 with 673 viewsLord_Lucan

I know they use milk as I think they are NZ biggest customer but I have never seen anyone drink it in China and they certainly don't cook with it. They don't drink coffee** or western style tea so they don't use it there either, I just can't see where it all goes. If I am in an hotel and want a coffee it is generally served with Carnation.

**Starbucks are making an impression but only on a very small scale per head of capita.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 13:07 - Mar 29 with 614 viewsCoastalblue

I actually thought we were all naturally lactose intolerant as adults but in the West and parts of Africa we overcome it somehow?

Isn't that why we originally started making cheese as a species?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

China's bottomless thirst for milk on 13:09 - Mar 29 with 611 viewsTIB

Coming soon...Away Days Milk Company.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024