Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents 10:51 - Aug 16 with 1745 viewsStokieBlue

Or not luckily.

That fact that he even thinks it's possible or that citizens of one country could be bought by another is quite peculiar but to be expected I guess:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-greenland-purchase-buy-d

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 10:55 - Aug 16 with 1716 viewssoupytwist

They bought Alaska off the Russians and Louisiana off the French didn't they? It was some time ago, but there is precedent!
For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 10:56 - Aug 16 with 1712 viewscrunchie1978

thought you was on about Jefferys island there for a moment.
For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:01 - Aug 16 with 1690 viewsBlueBadger

I thought this was going to be yet another no-deal Brexit article for a second.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:39 - Aug 16 with 1643 viewsStokieBlue

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 10:55 - Aug 16 by soupytwist

They bought Alaska off the Russians and Louisiana off the French didn't they? It was some time ago, but there is precedent!

Indeed, 150 years ago when Russia was a monarch based dictatorship that didn't care about it citizens and hence they rebelled.

Not really a precedent or and equivalence.

SB

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:40 - Aug 16 with 1639 viewsStokieBlue

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:01 - Aug 16 by BlueBadger

I guess the title could easily given that idea!

SB

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:45 - Aug 16 with 1618 viewsSE1blue

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 10:55 - Aug 16 by soupytwist

And Florida from the Spanish.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:51 - Aug 16 with 1600 viewsRyorry

Thought you meant the British Isles for a mo!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:56 - Aug 16 with 1580 viewsBlueBadger

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:51 - Aug 16 by Ryorry

Thought you meant the British Isles for a mo!

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents by BlueBadger 16 Aug 2019 11:01

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:57 - Aug 16 with 1570 viewsfooters

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:45 - Aug 16 by SE1blue

And Florida from the Spanish.

New Mexico from the Mexicans? Or did they just take that?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 12:19 - Aug 16 with 1524 viewsClapham_Junction

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 11:39 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

Indeed, 150 years ago when Russia was a monarch based dictatorship that didn't care about it citizens and hence they rebelled.

Not really a precedent or and equivalence.

SB

They bought the Virgin Islands from Denmark in 1917, which is a bit more recent (and relevant given that Denmark still owns Greenland). A referendum was held in Denmark on the matter, but not in the islands (although an unofficial one was held there and over 99% were in favour).

However, I do not believe Greenlanders would be in favour of being taken over by the US. They are largely left-wing and are set on becoming independent in the not too distant future.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 12:20]
For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 12:28 - Aug 16 with 1498 viewsgiant_stow

When they say no ta, maybe he'll just take it anyway.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 13:02 - Aug 16 with 1457 viewsStokieBlue

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 12:19 - Aug 16 by Clapham_Junction

They bought the Virgin Islands from Denmark in 1917, which is a bit more recent (and relevant given that Denmark still owns Greenland). A referendum was held in Denmark on the matter, but not in the islands (although an unofficial one was held there and over 99% were in favour).

However, I do not believe Greenlanders would be in favour of being taken over by the US. They are largely left-wing and are set on becoming independent in the not too distant future.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 12:20]

Interesting - I didn't know about the Virgin Islands.

Still hugely different to selling Greenland which, as you've pointed out is on the path to independence.

I'm not entirely sure Trump was considering the Greenlanders opinion though, I mean who wouldn't want to be a citizen of the USA....

SB
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 13:02]

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 13:40 - Aug 16 with 1413 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 13:02 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

Interesting - I didn't know about the Virgin Islands.

Still hugely different to selling Greenland which, as you've pointed out is on the path to independence.

I'm not entirely sure Trump was considering the Greenlanders opinion though, I mean who wouldn't want to be a citizen of the USA....

SB
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 13:02]

It hasn’t happened for a while but there are plenty of other instances too - see below. Would be interested to know why you think Greenland is different?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territory_purchased_by_a_sovereign_natio

Also as the article notes Harry Truman also attempted the same purchase in 1946. Of course, this does prompt a valid question over whether this sort of territory sale should be allowed - but certainly not the mad idea from Trump that some have suggested

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 13:50 - Aug 16 with 1401 viewsStokieBlue

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 13:40 - Aug 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It hasn’t happened for a while but there are plenty of other instances too - see below. Would be interested to know why you think Greenland is different?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territory_purchased_by_a_sovereign_natio

Also as the article notes Harry Truman also attempted the same purchase in 1946. Of course, this does prompt a valid question over whether this sort of territory sale should be allowed - but certainly not the mad idea from Trump that some have suggested

I am aware it has happened historically.

It's different because it's nearly 2020 and I thought as a general civilisation we might value the rights of the people living in the place being sold a little more than we did historically and wouldn't just buy their land out from under them without their say.

The last example in your list was a small port city more than 60 years ago. Truman's plan was more than 70 years ago so I don't think they have any relevance at all in the modern world.

You are essentially saying that as long as something has happened previously, regardless of how long ago, it's not a mad idea to suggest it happens now. I think that's fundamentally flawed reasoning.

SB
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 13:58]

For sale: island, strategic importance, plentiful resources, some residents on 14:05 - Aug 16 with 1368 viewsvapour_trail

If the temperature of the planet increases at the rate the policies of the likes of trump will bring to pass, then this would be a shrewd investment.

America will suffer intensely whereas Greenland will in a century or so, likely be a much more productive part of the world.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024