Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship wages 22:47 - Aug 27 with 2357 viewspelles321

Don’t know if anyone saw the debate tonight on sky sports? Had Phil Parkinson on there, and looked exclusively at EFL clubs spending.

One of the most shocking things discussed was average % of revenue spent on wages in the championship by clubs in 2017/2018 was 106%. Last season it was 115%. How is that sustainable?! Whilst at the time it can be frustrating we can’t sign certain players, it showed what we were up against. That’s just wages. Not even considering transfer fees, loan fees, maintenance of stadium etc....
Championship wages on 22:51 - Aug 27 with 2319 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No other business could continue to run that way.

The EFL is supposed to have checks and measures in place against it aren't they?

Do the figures include all revenue (especially thinking parachute payments)? The clubs coming down with high wages often present a problem. I guess there is a need for realistic relegation clauses to be a norm in the game. Not sure how much they are currently.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Championship wages on 22:57 - Aug 27 with 2283 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s not sustainable, that’s the problem

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship wages on 23:00 - Aug 27 with 2266 viewspelles321

Championship wages on 22:51 - Aug 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

The EFL is supposed to have checks and measures in place against it aren't they?

Do the figures include all revenue (especially thinking parachute payments)? The clubs coming down with high wages often present a problem. I guess there is a need for realistic relegation clauses to be a norm in the game. Not sure how much they are currently.

I assume all revenue as the study was conducted by a financial advisor company following the release of each clubs figures. Article here goes in more depth.

http://financialfootballnews.com/championship-2018-finances-wages/
Championship wages on 00:04 - Aug 28 with 2118 viewstetchris

Wake up call for EFL. Two clubs could go out of business in one season. Fit and proper person test not rigorous enough. Salary cap in league one and two is a good idea but jimmy hill fought all those years ago to abolish it. Think it’s necessary just can’t see it happening. Steve Dale reported that previous owners had handed out contracts to players between £6-8k a week which wasn’t sustainable at their level. Think this is the start of a domino and others will follow
Championship wages on 09:25 - Aug 28 with 1685 viewstheinbetweener

Stoke City will be the next club in the s**t, no doubt about that.
Championship wages on 10:01 - Aug 28 with 1600 viewsSouperJim

There was an article somewhere I read last week (apologies, can't recall where) that covered wages throughout the PL and EFL. Essentially everyone other than the "big 6" are spending well well beyond their means.

Surely the whole thing will go tits up at some point.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Championship wages on 10:02 - Aug 28 with 1597 viewsSwansea_Blue

Championship wages on 09:25 - Aug 28 by theinbetweener

Based simply on last season, there are certainly alarm bells there. WBA too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship wages on 10:03 - Aug 28 with 1588 viewschicoazul

Championship wages on 22:51 - Aug 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Plenty of businesses spend more than they earn. Amazon did it for 20 years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Championship wages on 10:05 - Aug 28 with 1580 viewsIpswichKnight

I doubt it, they are bankrolled by bet365 who's owner is I tihnk only 2nd behind the Queen in the list of the richest women on the planent!
Championship wages on 10:06 - Aug 28 with 1574 viewschicoazul

Stoke are a hobby owned by the richest woman in the country.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Championship wages on 10:12 - Aug 28 with 1528 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I think the most depressing thing about all of it is that it's not one or two.

I admire Evans for running us in a sensible manner, but what hope did we have if the other 23 clubs are all spending more than they bring in?

I know it was maybe 16 of 24 clubs and some others were well run but the point stands. We've been punished with relegation and a loss of £7m as a result, partly, of every other club spending money they don't have.

Of course the biggest reason was Hurst, but I do feel that with Mick eventually we'd have had a bad season with injuries or luck and been down there in with a chance of dropping into League One.

There's absolutely no reward for running your business well. The whole point should be that that should be the reward. Instead you either join in with the madness or face the likeliness of being punished financially.

Absolutely insane. It's been foreseeable for years and the EFL / FA have done absolutely nothing to protect their clubs, their players, their fans, jobs and communities.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024