Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts 10:11 - Nov 25 with 3479 viewsSteve_M

I think it's becoming clear that whether we have a really successful season, and by that I mean automatic promotion, will depend on our home form. At the moment, we're still not quite there are we? The lack of matches haven't helped, only seven league games at the end of November, but our form at Portman Road is in contrast to our very good away form.

This isn't just about this season either, other than the first half of 2017-18 (7 wins, and a draw from 11) we haven't won home matches on any sort of consistent basis since 2014-15. If that doesn't change for the better this season it is perhaps reasonable to wonder when it might do.

I felt Saturday was an odd mix of sporadic incoherence coupled with sustained spells of pressure. It's an odd mixture. We started ok though, Edwards and Rowe were close to Jackson but too often we were looking for ambitious balls forward or over-playing in midfield. The lack of anyone keen to carry the ball showed. Having got the lead against a side looking to defend we should still have been comfortable to see the game out but a bad goal conceded (credit to Blackpool for breaking with that many players though) and we looked very hesitant again.

The second half started in a similarly flat vein, odd pieces of individual skill apart (and Donacien beating the full back and crossing well was great). It took going behind for us to start playing well, applying pressure, pushing Blackpool even further back and deservedly equalising. The team were better, the crowd were better and the real question was why hadn't we done that earlier. We kept it up afterwards too, right until the shot cleared off the line (there are different opinions but my gut reaction was that it wasn't over). We dropped off again after that, only really creating anything else late on. Judge might have won it but not quite.

It was entertaining, Blackpool played well, sat deep and broke well (albeit with a fair amount of sh1thousing at times) and probably deserved a point. We just didn't quite do enough to really deserve the win. In it's own right that's no big deal but it just adds to a nagging doubt that we aren't making the best of what we have at Portman Road.

The good stuff is too often improvised though, I just don't see a pattern of play - lumping it forward to lose the first ball and then play from there isn't really doing it for me. I still don't see what Lambert is trying to do in setting out a pattern of play at home. Gone are the split central defenders and attempts to play it out from the back of a year ago, even the moderate 4-4-2 at the start of the season had a clear intent.

It isn't a major problem, not yet anyway, and the away form and set up are working well but we should be seeing a bit more from a squad with this much ability. Those periods when we up the tempo of play we look hard to defend against for any team at this level but at other times we don't look to have control of matches.

Still, onto tomorrow night. A big game under floodlights, not one any of us should expect to win easily but one we are more than capable of winning if we do play well. Time for ITFC to get the home form going in the right direction again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few thoughts on 10:16 - Nov 25 with 3432 viewsBlueBadger

My pre-season fears that we might languish are essentially gone. My concern now is that, as you've said, we don't have a settled team or pattern of play and are essentially coasting to promotion. I fear we look a bit like Celtic or Rangers - look very good at 'their' level but found out when they hit European competition. Obviously we won't be in Europe next season but we will be in the Championship and it's a concern that as we're currently coasting, the step back up will be a big shock that may mean we don't survive up there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A few thoughts on 10:18 - Nov 25 with 3428 viewsitfcjoe

I think the shape suited us and we did string a little bit more together in patches - but not for anywhere near a sustained enough period.

Subs were made too late for me too, game needed a spark but didn't get it - Keane made a bit of a difference when he was on in someone looking to get on the ball. Didn't do enough, but did the right things.

We missed Norwood, whatever disagreement it was that saw him sit this out has hopefully been cleared up.

2 wide players were too lightweight in attacking positions - swap them for Sears, Jackson, Lankester, etc and we have much more threat and directness.

EDIT - When you look at upcoming fixtures the season gets going now, no longer stop start as games every week from now on. i think that will help
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 10:19]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A few thoughts on 10:21 - Nov 25 with 3396 viewschicoazul

A few thoughts on 10:18 - Nov 25 by itfcjoe

I think the shape suited us and we did string a little bit more together in patches - but not for anywhere near a sustained enough period.

Subs were made too late for me too, game needed a spark but didn't get it - Keane made a bit of a difference when he was on in someone looking to get on the ball. Didn't do enough, but did the right things.

We missed Norwood, whatever disagreement it was that saw him sit this out has hopefully been cleared up.

2 wide players were too lightweight in attacking positions - swap them for Sears, Jackson, Lankester, etc and we have much more threat and directness.

EDIT - When you look at upcoming fixtures the season gets going now, no longer stop start as games every week from now on. i think that will help
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 10:19]

...disagreement?? Wasnt he injured?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A few thoughts on 10:24 - Nov 25 with 3387 viewschicoazul

Now pretty much every informed person on here whose views I am interested in is saying the same thing; no pattern of play, no consistency, too much long ball, no real creativity. It probably won't matter this season but it will do next.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

A few thoughts on 10:32 - Nov 25 with 3354 viewsGarv

Jackson did get the ball to feet on a few occasions but sadly is not good enough to keep it under control and bring others into play, and if he does it takes too long.

We would have been better off starting Keane probably.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A few thoughts on 10:44 - Nov 25 with 3289 viewsLankHenners

The lack of a real pattern of play is the concern at the moment. Obviously great that we've put ourselves in a good position to get promoted but it's not unreasonable for people to look to next season and wonder if we've got enough to be anything other than strugglers. That Lambert can't figure something out with the quality we have other than 'chuck them on the pitch and see what happens' isn't good and where the (mild) criticism of his rotation policy has merit.

Yes, better than other matches but a lack of quality in the forward positions isn't helping us. Jackson, for all his great defensive work from the front, isn't a 1-up-front player as he doesn't have the necessary hold up requirements and his decision making on the ball when he has time with it is pretty poor. Not good either that our centre-back was showing up our wingers either - not a fan of Rowe's '15 step overs then hit the cross straight at the first defender or into the 'keeper' or Edwards' complete lack of control of the ball before getting brushed off like a child. Having Sears available would be a big boost as him and Jackson as wide forwards either side of Norwood would work well.

The performance of Garbutt is a big positive to take, though does show he needs to be playing higher up where he can have more opportunities to put balls into the box. (As an aside, the header for the first goal was excellent, used his strength really well to put it back into a dangerous area when the initial cross looked too deep and high.) I get that that means playing Kenlock though. Donacien's return to form is timely as it softens the blow of losing KVY - needs to be a bit braver going forwards (though the nutmeg and cross in the 2nd half was lovely as you say) but couldn't be beaten defensively apart from the goal where he was 1v3.

It does look like the players don't have a great deal of confidence in what they're supposed to be doing still - Nolan was good at demanding the ball but a lack of movement ahead of him meant he was short of options. When we did get it out wide more often than not we wanted an extra touch or two that we didn't have. No qualms with us being patient but we need to be better at being a bit braver which comes back to the management team needing to sort out a 'proper' way of playing. This does make it frustrating watching us as for all the wins there's still a little voice in the back of your head telling you we should be playing much better than we are.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow - Wycombe clearly doing a very effective job with the resources they have but it's another game we 'should' win although I have a nagging feeling they're going to do a Rotherham on us and we'll shrink. However, a good win will make people feel more confident about the team - hopefully Norwood's back as it should really suit him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

That was the disagreement.... on 10:49 - Nov 25 with 3259 viewsBloots

A few thoughts on 10:21 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

....he didn't think he was.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

That was the disagreement.... on 10:51 - Nov 25 with 3227 viewschicoazul

That was the disagreement.... on 10:49 - Nov 25 by Bloots

....he didn't think he was.

Ah, TYB.

Login to get fewer ads

A few thoughts on 10:53 - Nov 25 with 3225 viewsDarth_Koont

"an odd mix of sporadic incoherence coupled with sustained spells of pressure".

Spot on. And as you say the lack of a pattern of play seems to be the biggest issue.

One thing I thought about was our inability to go through the middle. I know that's where the defence is strongest but unless we ask some questions there then it means we're too reliant on hopeful balls into the channels or trying to overload the defence out wide.

Obviously we don't have many players who can work the ball or keep it in front of goal in the attacking third. Maybe we need a Bishop or a Dobra to do that? Perhaps a fit and sharp Huws playing further forward? Or wingers who are confident cutting inside and taking the ball with them? And I had high hopes for Keane to be a lanky McGoldrick but I think he needs a lot better service than Didzy to be effective.

But I think if we can solve that issue so that we can be harder to defend against through the middle then it should open up space and even put less emphasis on our wingers and Jackson always having to launch our attacks from out wide. And invariably have those attacks slowed down, squeezed out and snuffed out by the defenders.

Pronouns: He/Him

A few thoughts on 10:55 - Nov 25 with 3224 views66notout

A few thoughts on 10:21 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

Probably to do with the picture he put on Instagram that showed him with some mates, including Joey Barton, when he was out drinking in London on Thursday.
There's a few fairly basic..... on 10:57 - Nov 25 with 3210 viewsBloots

....tactical/coaching points that are beginning to frustrate me personally.

Midfielders are taught to pick the ball up "on the half turn" ours do this, but the "half turn" always sees them turning back to face our own goal. There seems to be a mentality of "persistence" rather than "risk", and they just keep recycling the ball rather than really using it to create chances.

Our full backs are always picking the ball up far too deep. It's been really noticeable in some matches (Fleetwood away spring immediately to mind), where they are getting the ball a good 10 yards inside our own half with the only options being to pass it back to the centre backs our curl it down the line in hope. At Fleetwood they shifted 20 yards further up the pitch to receive it in the second half and the difference was huge.

.....and obviously playing one up front (particularly Jackson is just mind numbingly pointless.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

A few thoughts on 11:03 - Nov 25 with 3151 viewsWeWereZombies

A few thoughts on 10:16 - Nov 25 by BlueBadger

My pre-season fears that we might languish are essentially gone. My concern now is that, as you've said, we don't have a settled team or pattern of play and are essentially coasting to promotion. I fear we look a bit like Celtic or Rangers - look very good at 'their' level but found out when they hit European competition. Obviously we won't be in Europe next season but we will be in the Championship and it's a concern that as we're currently coasting, the step back up will be a big shock that may mean we don't survive up there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50253786

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

There's a few fairly basic..... on 11:07 - Nov 25 with 3135 viewsGarv

There's a few fairly basic..... on 10:57 - Nov 25 by Bloots

Midfielders are taught to pick the ball up "on the half turn" ours do this, but the "half turn" always sees them turning back to face our own goal. There seems to be a mentality of "persistence" rather than "risk", and they just keep recycling the ball rather than really using it to create chances.

Our full backs are always picking the ball up far too deep. It's been really noticeable in some matches (Fleetwood away spring immediately to mind), where they are getting the ball a good 10 yards inside our own half with the only options being to pass it back to the centre backs our curl it down the line in hope. At Fleetwood they shifted 20 yards further up the pitch to receive it in the second half and the difference was huge.

.....and obviously playing one up front (particularly Jackson is just mind numbingly pointless.

I lost count of the amount of times in the second half that the North stand had to shout 'turn' to the likes of Nolan and Skuse because they were taking it from Chambers and Woolfenden only to give it straight back or send it sideways to the full backs.

After some crowd encouragement Jackson went on a little run in the 87th(ish) minute and won a free kick in a good position down the left. It occurred to me that no one had bothered doing similar for pretty much the whole half. This is where we miss Bishop because he is the master of winning fouls.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A few thoughts on 11:19 - Nov 25 with 3073 viewschicoazul

A few thoughts on 10:53 - Nov 25 by Darth_Koont

"an odd mix of sporadic incoherence coupled with sustained spells of pressure".

Spot on. And as you say the lack of a pattern of play seems to be the biggest issue.

One thing I thought about was our inability to go through the middle. I know that's where the defence is strongest but unless we ask some questions there then it means we're too reliant on hopeful balls into the channels or trying to overload the defence out wide.

Obviously we don't have many players who can work the ball or keep it in front of goal in the attacking third. Maybe we need a Bishop or a Dobra to do that? Perhaps a fit and sharp Huws playing further forward? Or wingers who are confident cutting inside and taking the ball with them? And I had high hopes for Keane to be a lanky McGoldrick but I think he needs a lot better service than Didzy to be effective.

But I think if we can solve that issue so that we can be harder to defend against through the middle then it should open up space and even put less emphasis on our wingers and Jackson always having to launch our attacks from out wide. And invariably have those attacks slowed down, squeezed out and snuffed out by the defenders.

Dobra is a great shout. His energy and pace is what we lack.

A few thoughts on 13:18 - Nov 25 with 2898 viewsBlueBadger

A few thoughts on 11:03 - Nov 25 by WeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50253786

Yeah, we won games in teh Championship last season as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

There's a few fairly basic..... on 13:59 - Nov 25 with 2826 viewsbraveblue

There's a few fairly basic..... on 11:07 - Nov 25 by Garv

I lost count of the amount of times in the second half that the North stand had to shout 'turn' to the likes of Nolan and Skuse because they were taking it from Chambers and Woolfenden only to give it straight back or send it sideways to the full backs.

After some crowd encouragement Jackson went on a little run in the 87th(ish) minute and won a free kick in a good position down the left. It occurred to me that no one had bothered doing similar for pretty much the whole half. This is where we miss Bishop because he is the master of winning fouls.

Skuse has been doing this for years. But untouchable.
A few thoughts on 15:47 - Nov 25 with 2727 viewsWeWereZombies

A few thoughts on 13:18 - Nov 25 by BlueBadger

Yeah, we won games in teh Championship last season as well.

I must have missed Lazio playing in the Championship last season...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

There's a few fairly basic..... on 16:40 - Nov 25 with 2654 viewsstrikalite

There's a few fairly basic..... on 13:59 - Nov 25 by braveblue

Skuse has been doing this for years. But untouchable.

It's too easy for opponents to to get goal side quickly against us, when Skuse sees 15 yards of space in from of him he never takes the ball into it moving us up the pitch, for those that say it isn't his job are wrong, his own position can/should be covered, then he returns to it..

Good sides on the break (especially) carry the ball into threatening areas, we just play the simple ball far too often slowing everything down...
There's a few fairly basic..... on 19:15 - Nov 25 with 2517 viewsReuser_is_God

There's a few fairly basic..... on 10:57 - Nov 25 by Bloots

That has been an issue in our midfield for a very long time, probably since Bullard on loan.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024