Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ouch. 14:17 - Nov 29 with 3474 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/11/open-letter-sir-richard-evans-l

... Combined with this:

... Not sure what to do now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ouch. on 14:20 - Nov 29 with 3003 viewsJ2BLUE

That tweet is deliberately misleading. He did not say that his opinion was that Israel did not have the right to exist.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ouch. on 14:24 - Nov 29 with 2981 viewsLankHenners

Ouch. on 14:20 - Nov 29 by J2BLUE

That tweet is deliberately misleading. He did not say that his opinion was that Israel did not have the right to exist.

Yes, very clearly about an outside body trying to influence our media but no surprise to see the deliberate misleading as that account is set up as a pro-American Conservative, anti-left wing spin device.

Might as well link a video from Donald Trump's account.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Ouch. on 14:24 - Nov 29 with 2981 viewsartsbossbeard

Decent read here:

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-the-contract-on-corbyn-1.8192769

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Ouch. on 14:38 - Nov 29 with 2929 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 14:24 - Nov 29 by artsbossbeard

Decent read here:

Thanks for the link - off to read it now

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ouch. on 14:44 - Nov 29 with 2908 viewsZedRodgers

I would imagine he's talking about BBC Director General Mark Thompson's licence fee-funded visits to Israel to negotiate an unofficial pro-Israel editorial stance with former PM Ariel Sharon. The fact that the Israeli government would have been lobbying for their right to exist (as opposed to both Israel's and Palestine's right to exist) at this time isn't hard to believe.

Mark Thompson is well known for his reluctance to shine a light on the oppression of Palestine. He barred the BBC from broadcasting the Gaza appeal a few years back, something Tony Benn condemned him for. He's prevented atrocities in which Palestine were the victims from being aired on BBC News and censored pro-Palestinian voices appearing on BBC platforms.

No, not at the moment

Ouch. on 14:47 - Nov 29 with 2892 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 14:44 - Nov 29 by ZedRodgers

I would imagine he's talking about BBC Director General Mark Thompson's licence fee-funded visits to Israel to negotiate an unofficial pro-Israel editorial stance with former PM Ariel Sharon. The fact that the Israeli government would have been lobbying for their right to exist (as opposed to both Israel's and Palestine's right to exist) at this time isn't hard to believe.

Mark Thompson is well known for his reluctance to shine a light on the oppression of Palestine. He barred the BBC from broadcasting the Gaza appeal a few years back, something Tony Benn condemned him for. He's prevented atrocities in which Palestine were the victims from being aired on BBC News and censored pro-Palestinian voices appearing on BBC platforms.

(Thanks to ABB - powerful)

Those are pretty heady accusations - I have to ask for some evidence if possible and please.

Ouch. on 15:16 - Nov 29 with 2843 viewsZedRodgers

Ouch. on 14:47 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

Those are pretty heady accusations - I have to ask for some evidence if possible and please.

There isn't much concrete on the purpose or the outcome of Thompson's visit:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pandora/bbc-chief-holds-peace-talks-in

"Sources at the Beeb also suspect that it heralds a "softening" to the corporation's unofficial editorial line on the Middle East." - Lot's of this kind of thing.

Thompson's history of anti-Palestinian influence support that reasoning.

Here's an article on Tony Benn's condemnation:

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/tony-benn-hijacks-bbcs-today-to-make-gaza-appeal/

Benn famously hijacked an interview on the Today programme to broadcast the appeal Thompson refused to allow on the grounds of a breach of impartiality:

He was oversaw the censoring of rapper Mic Righteous' lyric "free Palestine" on BBC 1Xtra:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/may/13/bbc-palestine-lyric-mic-righteous
[Post edited 29 Nov 2019 16:03]

No, not at the moment

Ouch. on 16:00 - Nov 29 with 2802 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. And the point is whether the BBC justifies Israel's illegal and OTT actions against the Palestinians in that way. I haven't read or heard them frame events that way directly but the rationale could easily be the same.

After all, it's the same passive response as our government and anyone else who pretends that they're interested in defending the two-state solution and peace. They're certainly very quick to justify along those lines and remove the need for criticism.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Ouch. on 16:04 - Nov 29 with 2798 viewsDarth_Koont

On a side note, ullaa. You need to be much more critical of your sources and how people will frame stuff.

If you take things as read then those who want to steer you have won with almost zero effort and zero need for objective evidence.

Ouch. on 16:13 - Nov 29 with 2774 viewsNo9

This sort of stuff has done enought o rile Sir Berners-Lee
Ouch. on 16:30 - Nov 29 with 2740 viewsDarth_Koont

Ouch. on 14:24 - Nov 29 by artsbossbeard

Decent read here:

Yes, that was very good.

I think the Chief Rabbi's statement has pushed many of the liberal Jews, pro-Palestinian groups and indeed Muslim community representatives into realising how far this has gone and how great the need to fight the main narrative.

Unfortunately, people just aren't looking for these relevant viewpoints to reach some sort of objective balance. Obviously not helped by a UK media that on the whole will just ignore these viewpoints while pushing their own supposedly antiracist credentials.

No-one should take sides on Israel-Palestine or antisemitism vs islamophobia but that's in effect what has happened. Because for our politicians and media, there's more to be gained by being pro-Israel and little to lose in being anti-Muslim.

Ouch. on 16:46 - Nov 29 with 2695 viewsgiant_stow

Sorry for disappearing. Nope he didn't say that, but does appear to be *complaining* about bias and preasure on the bbc to acknowledge Isreals right to exist and security concerns. My quesiton would be: aren't those fair enough and not to be complained about?

Ouch. on 16:48 - Nov 29 with 2685 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 16:04 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

On a side note, ullaa. You need to be much more critical of your sources and how people will frame stuff.

If you take things as read then those who want to steer you have won with almost zero effort and zero need for objective evidence.

I accept that everyone must be careful and take the poster above's word that the twitter account is iffy. But. the primary soruce is the interview itself, not the twitter account.

Likewise, the Spectator may be partisan, but the guy who authored the piece has good credentials to enter this debate and is again the primary source.

Ouch. on 17:06 - Nov 29 with 2660 viewsDarth_Koont

Ouch. on 16:46 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

Sorry for disappearing. Nope he didn't say that, but does appear to be *complaining* about bias and preasure on the bbc to acknowledge Isreals right to exist and security concerns. My quesiton would be: aren't those fair enough and not to be complained about?

There's a context to "the right to exist". Objectively yes. But when the right to exist is used to justify others' rights being reduced or even taken away then it's a very difficult subject.

Imagine the whites in South Africa in the 1970s and 1980s talking about their right to exist. Of course, and I'm glad for my South African cousins who had also had little support for apartheid. But if it's used in defence of apartheid, or even just to muddy the waters, then surely it's problematic?

Nowhere does a two-state solution deny that. In fact, it defines a right to exist.

Ouch. on 17:07 - Nov 29 with 2656 viewsDarth_Koont

Ouch. on 16:48 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

I accept that everyone must be careful and take the poster above's word that the twitter account is iffy. But. the primary soruce is the interview itself, not the twitter account.

Likewise, the Spectator may be partisan, but the guy who authored the piece has good credentials to enter this debate and is again the primary source.

Primary source is an unedited, unframed interview so you can judge what someone actually said.

Ouch. on 17:18 - Nov 29 with 2632 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 17:07 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

Primary source is an unedited, unframed interview so you can judge what someone actually said.

Fair dos, on reflection I think you're right there, although there's no suggestion that he didn't say those things is there or that the video is a deep fake?

Ouch. on 17:23 - Nov 29 with 2603 viewsDarth_Koont

Ouch. on 17:18 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

Fair dos, on reflection I think you're right there, although there's no suggestion that he didn't say those things is there or that the video is a deep fake?

All I can say to that is ... Enjoy your weekend!

Ouch. on 17:35 - Nov 29 with 2574 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 17:23 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

All I can say to that is ... Enjoy your weekend!

Not with you again - have I said something despicable or stupid?

Otherwise, you too.

Ouch. on 17:42 - Nov 29 with 2566 viewsvapour_trail

Ouch. on 14:47 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

Hmm. You appear to be selectively applying your evidence threshold.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ouch. on 17:44 - Nov 29 with 2563 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 17:42 - Nov 29 by vapour_trail

Hmm. You appear to be selectively applying your evidence threshold.

How do you mean mr?

Ouch. on 18:13 - Nov 29 with 2529 viewsvapour_trail

Ouch. on 17:44 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

How do you mean mr?

Well you don’t appear to have asked any questions of the reagan battalion prior to publishing their content.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ouch. on 18:34 - Nov 29 with 2498 viewsgiant_stow

Ouch. on 18:13 - Nov 29 by vapour_trail

Well you don’t appear to have asked any questions of the reagan battalion prior to publishing their content.

I wasn't really interested either way in the medium of the how the video came to me or the accompanying comment - just the video itself. Darth clammed up when I asked him about that (with a genuinely open mind btw) - do you know if it's fake?

Ouch. on 18:41 - Nov 29 with 2487 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ouch. on 18:34 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

I wasn't really interested either way in the medium of the how the video came to me or the accompanying comment - just the video itself. Darth clammed up when I asked him about that (with a genuinely open mind btw) - do you know if it's fake?

Corbz has a history of not being able to say whether he supports Israel's right to exist.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ouch. on 18:48 - Nov 29 with 2468 viewsBackToRussia

Ouch. on 18:41 - Nov 29 by GlasgowBlue

Corbz has a history of not being able to say whether he supports Israel's right to exist.

And the rest of the response?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Ouch. on 18:56 - Nov 29 with 2450 viewsDarth_Koont

Ouch. on 18:48 - Nov 29 by BackToRussia

And the rest of the response?

Take Glassers out of his petty party political bubble and he's frighteningly naive.

Or he's not naive at all and and knows exactly what he's doing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024