Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazing what happens when you play your best players 17:22 - Jan 11 with 1423 viewsclive_baker

And in their actual positions isn’t it? Accrington were absolutely awful, but today was chalk & cheese compared with the 1 up front horror show at their place in October.

Let’s hope this is the start of a period of continuity now by way of shape and team selection. We absolutely need to stick with a back 3 with wingbacks, Judge in the number 10 role and a front 2. KVY coming back in for Edwards and an upgrade on Wilson (lad from Everton perhaps) and we’ll be in a good spot. No cup distractions now, just 20 league games and 60 points to play for to get us back up to the Championship. A month today we’ll be playing Wimbledon away, after which we’ll have 13 games left and 9 of them at Portman Road. We’ve potentially got an excellent run in, so hopefully Lambert learns the lessons of the last dire couple of months and we can get going again. Good signs today.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:31 - Jan 11 with 1353 viewsHerbivore

This is about our second win of the season playing three at the back. It was less about the formation and more about the tempo and intent. Jackson was bang up for it today and kept their defence occupied. Midfield had a bit more urgency. Chambers had his best game in ages. Let's hope this is actually the start of some decent consecutive performances rather than another promising glimpse.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:45 - Jan 11 with 1280 viewsDarth_Koont

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:31 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

This is about our second win of the season playing three at the back. It was less about the formation and more about the tempo and intent. Jackson was bang up for it today and kept their defence occupied. Midfield had a bit more urgency. Chambers had his best game in ages. Let's hope this is actually the start of some decent consecutive performances rather than another promising glimpse.

True, but it has the advantage of letting Garbutt come forward and it suits Edwards too. Added to which Judge can be much more of a free man in midfield rather than us losing our shape when he wanders away from the flanks.

We can reappraise when KVY is fit and Bishop is up to speed but really think we should stick with this for a bit now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:48 - Jan 11 with 1262 viewsHerbivore

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:45 - Jan 11 by Darth_Koont

True, but it has the advantage of letting Garbutt come forward and it suits Edwards too. Added to which Judge can be much more of a free man in midfield rather than us losing our shape when he wanders away from the flanks.

We can reappraise when KVY is fit and Bishop is up to speed but really think we should stick with this for a bit now.

I'm not convinced by it, unless we get a ball playing left sided CB which we might in Gibson. I think a 4-3-3 would suit us better.

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:51 - Jan 11 with 1251 viewsclive_baker

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:31 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

This formation allows us to do that IMO. Chambers had the licence to push on because he had Wilson and Woolfy alongside him. Against Lincoln where we played a back 4 we were occupied and on the back foot for the most part, and they could've scored 8. Having an extra body in the middle also allows Judge and Huws to play in their preferred position, with the luxury of Downes in their too offering protection. Garbutt is a good attacking threat too, which that role gives him the licence to do. With the personnel we have at our disposal it's firmly the right approach for me. Tuesday will be very telling, not so much in terms of the result, but if we're making 5 changes and back to 4-4-2 then Lambert really has lost the plot.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:53 - Jan 11 with 1226 viewsDarth_Koont

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:48 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

I'm not convinced by it, unless we get a ball playing left sided CB which we might in Gibson. I think a 4-3-3 would suit us better.

Ultimately, yes. But I don’t really fancy our current fullbacks and when Garbutt gets forward we look a lot better.

Pronouns: He/Him

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 19:06 - Jan 11 with 1076 viewsKieran_Knows

I thought Wimbledon were by far and away going to be the worst team I saw down PR this season, but wow Accrington were even more woeful than them. How we lost to them earlier in the year is a miracle.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 19:14 - Jan 11 with 1044 viewsHerbivore

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:51 - Jan 11 by clive_baker

This formation allows us to do that IMO. Chambers had the licence to push on because he had Wilson and Woolfy alongside him. Against Lincoln where we played a back 4 we were occupied and on the back foot for the most part, and they could've scored 8. Having an extra body in the middle also allows Judge and Huws to play in their preferred position, with the luxury of Downes in their too offering protection. Garbutt is a good attacking threat too, which that role gives him the licence to do. With the personnel we have at our disposal it's firmly the right approach for me. Tuesday will be very telling, not so much in terms of the result, but if we're making 5 changes and back to 4-4-2 then Lambert really has lost the plot.

Fair enough, agree to disagree on the formation.

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 19:27 - Jan 11 with 1006 viewsbackwaywhen

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 19:06 - Jan 11 by Kieran_Knows

I thought Wimbledon were by far and away going to be the worst team I saw down PR this season, but wow Accrington were even more woeful than them. How we lost to them earlier in the year is a miracle.

Their last 7 ...... won 4 drawn 2 lost 1 .
Login to get fewer ads

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 20:43 - Jan 11 with 911 viewsitfcjoe

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 17:51 - Jan 11 by clive_baker

I'm still a 433 man, but hard to argue with how today let us play and if we are going to stick to something then this suits me. Kenlock as a left sided CB would be fine as one of the back up spots in reality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 20:44 - Jan 11 with 907 viewsitfcjoe

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 19:06 - Jan 11 by Kieran_Knows

We made them look poor by totally over powering them and played at a tempo they couldn't live with.

They aren't a woeful side, we were just very good

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 21:26 - Jan 11 with 837 views3_5_2

I like 352 and hope we stick to it

I prefer Holy to Norris but that's just me

Think a new left footed CB would work better, moving Wolf to the right of Chambo

With KVY back and Garbutt we have both wide areas sorted, Downes, Huws and Judge as the 3 but plenty of competition / cover there

Up top, Nors / Jackson / Keane plus Sears, plenty of quality there

We have close to 40 professionals which is too many, shed a few / loans etc and we could get the CB we need plus anyone who is better than what we have

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Amazing what happens when you play your best players on 21:45 - Jan 11 with 786 viewsKeaneish

Fair play to Coleman though. They started with 2 up front, finished with 3 and kept playing out from the back. Plenty of admiration for him. Even when being out classed he tried to rescue something from the game rather than accepting damage limitation.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024