Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? 08:01 - Feb 25 with 1735 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51619608

I feel a particular outrage about the way these vulnerable (due to the economics of the workplace as well as being put down socially) people have had their lives worsened and shortened since George Osborne and his successors came to the Treasury, more so than I do about men in the same position.

It's not just an English thing either (although no doubt the SNP say they have had their hands tied by Westminster):

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/news/2019/people-in-the-most-deprived-areas-live-s

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 09:25 - Feb 25 with 1660 viewssparks

Not at all clear why you equate this with treasury or workplace. One imagines this is about lifestyles and diets.

Of course women still live longer than men and noone seems bothered about that. Though that is another conversation.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 09:37 - Feb 25 with 1651 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 09:25 - Feb 25 by sparks

Not at all clear why you equate this with treasury or workplace. One imagines this is about lifestyles and diets.

Of course women still live longer than men and noone seems bothered about that. Though that is another conversation.

Thank you for that valuable contribution, you have set my worries at rest no end...

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 09:51 - Feb 25 with 1630 viewssparks

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 09:37 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

Thank you for that valuable contribution, you have set my worries at rest no end...

?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:12 - Feb 25 with 1594 viewsmonytowbray

Why would it be sexist to be concerned about women?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:25 - Feb 25 with 1589 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:12 - Feb 25 by monytowbray

Why would it be sexist to be concerned about women?

Well I suppose there was one mildly useful half-thought from Bulbeck's limp response in that women are regarded to live longer than men so 'why should we worry about them?'

I know, I'm sure we all know (even if we think we don't despite brushing shoulders with them in shops, the workplace and so on) women in these situations. I buy them coffees, take them out but still feel predatory even when I withdraw at the faintest demureness. Some may be, probably are, mothers, sisters, daughters and so on. Do I just accept it as the way things are, an inescapable result of the way of the World set in place by offhand chance or deity? Can there be anything that changes it, but in lending a hand do I get caught in sexual politics that undermine my good intentions?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:58 - Feb 25 with 1566 viewssparks

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:25 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

Well I suppose there was one mildly useful half-thought from Bulbeck's limp response in that women are regarded to live longer than men so 'why should we worry about them?'

I know, I'm sure we all know (even if we think we don't despite brushing shoulders with them in shops, the workplace and so on) women in these situations. I buy them coffees, take them out but still feel predatory even when I withdraw at the faintest demureness. Some may be, probably are, mothers, sisters, daughters and so on. Do I just accept it as the way things are, an inescapable result of the way of the World set in place by offhand chance or deity? Can there be anything that changes it, but in lending a hand do I get caught in sexual politics that undermine my good intentions?

Your first para, purportedly referring to what I said is one of the most dishonest I have ever seen on here.

On a related note will you now explain why you have juxtaposed this particular story with George Osborne or workplace policies?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:04 - Feb 25 with 1556 viewsSwansea_Blue

The answer to that question lies in the report that the bbc article is based on:

"The evidence we compile in this ‘ten years on’ report, commissioned by the Health
Foundation, explores what has happened since the Marmot Review of 2010.
Austerity has taken its toll in all the domains set out in the Marmot Review. From
rising child poverty and the closure of children’s centres, to declines in education
funding, an increase in precarious work and zero hours contracts, to a housing
affordability crisis and a rise in homelessness, to people with insufficient money
to lead a healthy life and resorting to foodbanks in large numbers, to ignored
communities with poor conditions and little reason for hope. And these outcomes,
on the whole, are even worse for minority ethnic population groups and people
with disabilities (1). We cannot say with certainty which of these adverse trends
might be responsible for the worsening health picture in England. Some, such as
the increase in child poverty, will mostly show their effects in the long term. We
can say, though, that austerity has adversely affected the social determinants that
impact on health in the short, medium and long term. Austerity will cast a long
shadow over the lives of the children born and growing up under its effects."

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:09 - Feb 25 with 1548 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 10:58 - Feb 25 by sparks

Your first para, purportedly referring to what I said is one of the most dishonest I have ever seen on here.

On a related note will you now explain why you have juxtaposed this particular story with George Osborne or workplace policies?

On your first sentence, it isn't, it really isn't

Secondly, the BBC article reports a study that shows the decline commencing from 2011. The appointment of Osborne as Chancellor of the Exchequer in May 2010 and the subsequent chasing of an ill-founded aim to cut the budget deficit (whilst actually growing the national debt as a result of the policies) resulting in austerity for many has been well documented. This may be 'just' another effect of those austerity policies but it is one that I see as particularly heartless and shameful.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:14 - Feb 25 with 1537 viewssparks

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:09 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

On your first sentence, it isn't, it really isn't

Secondly, the BBC article reports a study that shows the decline commencing from 2011. The appointment of Osborne as Chancellor of the Exchequer in May 2010 and the subsequent chasing of an ill-founded aim to cut the budget deficit (whilst actually growing the national debt as a result of the policies) resulting in austerity for many has been well documented. This may be 'just' another effect of those austerity policies but it is one that I see as particularly heartless and shameful.

Yes. It is. Have the integrity to admit it and apologise.

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:15 - Feb 25 with 1531 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:14 - Feb 25 by sparks

Yes. It is. Have the integrity to admit it and apologise.

No way, you know what you are trying to do

And so do I

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:20 - Feb 25 with 1515 viewssparks

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:15 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

No way, you know what you are trying to do

And so do I

Extraordinary. What a deeply unpleasant and dishonest individual you appear to be.

You have claimed that I have said something which I clearly did not and inferred a meaning, with no justification whatsoever, that was neither written nor intended.

I am not in the habit of dishonesty. You ought not to judge people by your own disgusting standards.

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:27 - Feb 25 with 1500 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:20 - Feb 25 by sparks

Extraordinary. What a deeply unpleasant and dishonest individual you appear to be.

You have claimed that I have said something which I clearly did not and inferred a meaning, with no justification whatsoever, that was neither written nor intended.

I am not in the habit of dishonesty. You ought not to judge people by your own disgusting standards.

"Not at all clear why you equate this with treasury or workplace. One imagines this is about lifestyles and diets."

You went in hard, incorrectly and dismissively. And now you're doubling down.

I think you probably know this too hence the injured ego lashing out.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:49 - Feb 25 with 1452 viewsWeWereZombies

Says the poster with a poll entitled 'Is Fred drunk this morning' at the bottom of the post.

I'm not perfect but every so often I encounter someone who I feel could take a step back and think about what they do. Trouble is, things are generally a little too heated for that advice to be picked up. As I said, I'm not perfect.

Talk about an overraction on 11:52 - Feb 25 with 1436 viewsDyland

I suspect you're inferring a little from Zombers' responses too?

This is very handbags.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:53 - Feb 25 with 1432 viewssparks

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 11:49 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

Says the poster with a poll entitled 'Is Fred drunk this morning' at the bottom of the post.

I'm not perfect but every so often I encounter someone who I feel could take a step back and think about what they do. Trouble is, things are generally a little too heated for that advice to be picked up. As I said, I'm not perfect.

Complete non sequitur response.

SUQ (n/t) on 11:53 - Feb 25 with 1428 viewsfooters

Talk about an overraction on 11:52 - Feb 25 by Dyland

This is very handbags.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Talk about an overraction on 11:56 - Feb 25 with 1415 viewsWeWereZombies

Talk about an overraction on 11:52 - Feb 25 by Dyland

This is very handbags.

Oooh, that was a bit 'leave him, he's not worth it'...

lollers on 11:59 - Feb 25 with 1405 viewsDyland

Talk about an overraction on 11:56 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

Oooh, that was a bit 'leave him, he's not worth it'...

:)

SUQ (n/t) on 12:02 - Feb 25 with 1387 viewssparks

SUQ (n/t) on 11:53 - Feb 25 by footers

I have inferred nothing. Simply taken objection to the utterly unfounded claim that I said or meant "women live longer so why should we worry about them". Just dishonest.

SUQ (n/t) on 12:05 - Feb 25 with 1378 viewsDyland

SUQ (n/t) on 12:02 - Feb 25 by sparks

I have inferred nothing. Simply taken objection to the utterly unfounded claim that I said or meant "women live longer so why should we worry about them". Just dishonest.

I think you're overreacting. I doubt Zombers thinks you're a misogynist or anything. Standard internets "debate". You guys carry on though.

SUQ (n/t) on 12:08 - Feb 25 with 1357 viewsLord_Lucan

SUQ (n/t) on 12:02 - Feb 25 by sparks

I think it's your turn to be picked on.

This exact thing happened when I was at primary school.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Its a fair cop, guv on 12:33 - Feb 25 with 1302 viewsWeWereZombies

SUQ (n/t) on 12:08 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

I think it's your turn to be picked on.

This exact thing happened when I was at primary school.

To be honest I am just upset that my 'A Night At The Okra' by Quorn pun on the 'worst vegetable' thread seems to have gone unnoticed, not even one uppie. So happy to have got a bit of attention on this one. And seem to have got away with admitting to hanging around trying to pick up disadvantaged women too...

Is it sexist to be concerned about the poor women? on 18:35 - Feb 25 with 1100 viewsBlueBadger

Well, it was the treasury's ongoing policy of 'f*ck the poor' that's directly attributed to this, so I;m guessing that's why it's been equated with it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024