Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 23:38 - May 16 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I've just been reading that one of the conditions of the government bailout of TFL is that the congestion charge is reintroduced from Monday and then increased by 30% from next month. So basically at a time that they are espousing that people should drive rather than use public transport they are making the use of cars prohibitive. Why you ask? Well officially the congestion charge being reintroduced comes from the Mayor's office and Sadiq Khan is up for reelection and the Tories would love to have him replaced with one of their own if possible. Politics over people once again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 23:42 - May 16 with 1488 viewsBlueBadger

The football is better now though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 00:13 - May 17 with 1446 viewsmonytowbray

Yeah and the thickos fall for it.

This ride stopped being fun a while ago and I think we should just burn as much coal as we can over the next ten years to speed up the end of humanity.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 00:25 - May 17 with 1421 viewsBlueBadger

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 00:13 - May 17 by monytowbray

Yeah and the thickos fall for it.

This ride stopped being fun a while ago and I think we should just burn as much coal as we can over the next ten years to speed up the end of humanity.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 01:17 - May 17 with 1382 viewsClapham_Junction

Thankfully the Tories have picked one of the worst candidates possible.

Rory Stewart was possibly the only realistic challenger to Khan (at least taking into account preferences), so I was quite pleased to see him give up. I would imagine quite a few sensible Tories (if there are many left in London - I know one of the two Tory councillors in Tower Hamlets has given up and left the party) will probably vote for the Lib Dem candidate.

The last opinion poll I saw had Khan winning with two-thirds of the vote if it went to preferences against Bailey.
The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 08:19 - May 17 with 1261 viewsGuthrum

While there may be an element of that (always helpful to make opponents look bad), that don't really want everyone driving into the very centre of London, either. That would create instant, unbelievable gridlock which, even if it was moving, would only be going round in circles vainly trying to locate the few remaining parking spaces. Modern cities do not function without mass-transit systems.

Of necessity, they would rather you parked elsewhere and walked or cycled. So the principle of discouragement still holds.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 08:25 - May 17 with 1247 viewsHerbivore

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 08:19 - May 17 by Guthrum

While there may be an element of that (always helpful to make opponents look bad), that don't really want everyone driving into the very centre of London, either. That would create instant, unbelievable gridlock which, even if it was moving, would only be going round in circles vainly trying to locate the few remaining parking spaces. Modern cities do not function without mass-transit systems.

Of necessity, they would rather you parked elsewhere and walked or cycled. So the principle of discouragement still holds.

I think that's a generous interpretation, Guthers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 09:50 - May 17 with 1178 viewsGuthrum

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 08:25 - May 17 by Herbivore

I think that's a generous interpretation, Guthers.

It's not entirely an interpretation. There is a genuine underlying situation with regard to traffic volumes in London when public transport cannot be used to anywhere near capacity. Which planners are, so I have heard, attempting to tackle.

The fact this situation is, perhaps, being used in an attempt to discredit an opposition-aligned Mayor is a different matter. And, if so, rather gives the lie to the stated willingness to work in a cross-party manner during this crisis.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 13:56 - May 17 with 1088 viewsSwansea_Blue

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 09:50 - May 17 by Guthrum

It's not entirely an interpretation. There is a genuine underlying situation with regard to traffic volumes in London when public transport cannot be used to anywhere near capacity. Which planners are, so I have heard, attempting to tackle.

The fact this situation is, perhaps, being used in an attempt to discredit an opposition-aligned Mayor is a different matter. And, if so, rather gives the lie to the stated willingness to work in a cross-party manner during this crisis.

There is an element to that, but just out of interest has it been stipulated that these increases are just during the Covid-19 situation and will then revert back afterwards. If not, that's probably a good guide to what's driving this.

Edit - and, of course, any opportunity to increase taxes will be jumped on from now on due to the impending financial downturn from this and Brexit. Probably legitimately, as it looks like our economy is going to be screwed for for the next decade too. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll look back on austerity as a time of plenty compared to what's to come.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 13:58]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 14:15 - May 17 with 1064 viewsOldsmoker

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 09:50 - May 17 by Guthrum

I would have thought that working in a cross-party manner would involve the leaders of Labour, SNP, Lib Dems et al being given access to SAGE briefings.
The SAGE advice is not published. We don't even know who makes up the SAGE team. We are only told those details to which Johnsons small cabal of ministers agree with. We don't know what advice they have rejected and neither does anyone outside of a select few. Some Tory MPs are furious with Johnson that they first learnt about the easing of Lockdown via last Sundays broadcast to the nation by Johnson.
The only cross-party involvement is in sharing the blame not the decision making.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 18:01 - May 17 with 1009 viewsThe_Last_Baron

When all is argued about, all Governments are sh1ts. They're not your friend and they want your money. As much of it as possible.

We elect a regime based on which we think is less sh1t.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 18:36]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 18:36 - May 17 with 975 viewstractordownsouth

Khan's a shoo in. Despite the overall electoral shambles, Labour have solidified London.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 18:37 - May 17 with 971 viewstractordownsouth

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 18:01 - May 17 by The_Last_Baron

When all is argued about, all Governments are sh1ts. They're not your friend and they want your money. As much of it as possible.

Will they no longer be sh1ts if they deliver your no deal utopia at the end of the year?

Got those benefits yet?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 21:12 - May 17 with 916 viewsBLUEGOLD

The government are a bunch of sh!ts #274482882 on 18:01 - May 17 by The_Last_Baron

Well the current one is about as full of sh1ts as possible.

The fact that the right wing press feed their papers full of propaganda is a large problem.

See the DM story today about Starmer as an example
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024