Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wish I lived in New Zealand. 18:04 - Jun 13 with 2021 viewsShawsey

I am not a huge rugby league fan, but just saw all the fans in the stadium and I felt so jealous. Lucky them. If only we had a government who acted as quickly and forcefully as they did. I never thought I would miss sport this much.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 18:13 - Jun 13 with 1592 viewsRyorry

Friends/neighbours of mine emigrated there 10 years ago, what a wise decision (tho from a selfish point of view I do miss them hugely!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 18:17 - Jun 13 with 1583 viewsfactual_blue

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 18:13 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

Friends/neighbours of mine emigrated there 10 years ago, what a wise decision (tho from a selfish point of view I do miss them hugely!)

It's a splendid place. They make not only truly wonderful coffee, but far better tea than we do, but probably not using Yorkshire tea.

And South Island cheese rolls are fantastic.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 18:17]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:03 - Jun 13 with 1528 viewsShawsey

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 18:13 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

We have friends down there, both teachers. They say it was the best decision they ever made. We were planning on visiting them this year, but not likely now. Just shows what can be done when done properly.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:38 - Jun 13 with 1507 viewsjonbull88

I love New Zealand, however it’s not really far to compare us to them. Their whole population is half of London’s.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:42 - Jun 13 with 1501 viewsBlueBadger

Without wishing to one-up you, I wish our government had been as competent as NZ's, I wouldn't have had to have half as many dreadful conversations as I have.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:43 - Jun 13 with 1492 viewsBlueBadger

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:38 - Jun 13 by jonbull88

I love New Zealand, however it’s not really far to compare us to them. Their whole population is half of London’s.

Even comparing us to us nearest neighbours, we look piss-poor.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:44 - Jun 13 with 1486 viewsRyorry

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:03 - Jun 13 by Shawsey

We have friends down there, both teachers. They say it was the best decision they ever made. We were planning on visiting them this year, but not likely now. Just shows what can be done when done properly.

Yes, Jacinda Ardern really is an exceptionally good leader, in fact I'd say top 10 of all time, anywhere.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:44 - Jun 13 with 1486 viewsvapour_trail

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 18:17 - Jun 13 by factual_blue

It's a splendid place. They make not only truly wonderful coffee, but far better tea than we do, but probably not using Yorkshire tea.

And South Island cheese rolls are fantastic.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 18:17]

Is the coffee that good? My brother is down there some time now and he is always banging on about the coffee.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:45 - Jun 13 with 1485 viewsShawsey

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:42 - Jun 13 by BlueBadger

Without wishing to one-up you, I wish our government had been as competent as NZ's, I wouldn't have had to have half as many dreadful conversations as I have.

You carry on sir, I totally agree with you. You know better than most on here.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:47 - Jun 13 with 1476 viewsvapour_trail

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:44 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

Yes, Jacinda Ardern really is an exceptionally good leader, in fact I'd say top 10 of all time, anywhere.

Who are the other 9?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 19:51]

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:51 - Jun 13 with 1457 viewsBlueBadger

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:45 - Jun 13 by Shawsey

You carry on sir, I totally agree with you. You know better than most on here.

Sir Terry Pratchett in one of his books about Granny Weatherwax offered the philosophy 'the price you pay for being the best is having to BE the best'. I've taught this to my students for the past 10 years at least. This year, I've paid the price.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 10:18]

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:55 - Jun 13 with 1442 viewsBlueBadger

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:03 - Jun 13 by Shawsey

One of our registrars at [redacted] is from NZ. Everyone he meets asks him 'are you mad, do you KNOW how they treat juniors here', he replies with 'I moved for love'.

he is a brilliant reg and myself and my colleague have worked REALLY hard for him.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 20:10]

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 20:02 - Jun 13 with 1417 viewsBlueBadger

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:44 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

The woman is astonishing. In her time in office, she's dealt with an appalling terrrist atrocity, a major earthquake and the word pandemic in over a century. All whilst raising a toddler.

And she's not even 40 yet.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 20:04 - Jun 13 with 1405 viewsBlueBadger

Imagine having the advantage of being an island nation.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 20:08 - Jun 13 with 1397 viewsfactual_blue

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:44 - Jun 13 by vapour_trail

Is the coffee that good? My brother is down there some time now and he is always banging on about the coffee.

Yes.

Especially the flat white.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 20:16 - Jun 13 with 1385 viewsfactual_blue

And, oddly, half the population of London seems at times to be New Zealanders.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 22:31 - Jun 13 with 1275 viewsBlueForYou

Think you mean Rugby Union, the Highlanders v Chiefs game this morning, more games tomorrow!
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 09:21 - Jun 14 with 1083 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's a nice place to visit - at least in those far-off times when you didn't get incarcerated like a possibly rabid dog if you popped in for a blinkered holiday.

Would you really want to live there though?

It's a long way from anywhere, very racially divided, has rugby as a national sport and sees nothing wrong in sending vast quantities of sheep on a cruise to the middle east in appalling conditions to queue up to have their throats slit, if they survive the journey.

The ground shakes alarmingly from time to time as well, when it isn't cold, wet and windy. - and the huge influx of Chinese after a poorly constructed trade deal is causing a whole new set of problems.

Good trout fishing though....

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 09:30 - Jun 14 with 1079 viewsbournemouthblue

It's less densely populated for sure

South Korea on the other hand is more densely populated and closer to the source of the outbreak and has done far better than us

They were prepared, we were not, it's as simple as that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 09:57 - Jun 14 with 1050 viewsShawsey

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 09:21 - Jun 14 by ElephantintheRoom

It's a nice place to visit - at least in those far-off times when you didn't get incarcerated like a possibly rabid dog if you popped in for a blinkered holiday.

Would you really want to live there though?

It's a long way from anywhere, very racially divided, has rugby as a national sport and sees nothing wrong in sending vast quantities of sheep on a cruise to the middle east in appalling conditions to queue up to have their throats slit, if they survive the journey.

The ground shakes alarmingly from time to time as well, when it isn't cold, wet and windy. - and the huge influx of Chinese after a poorly constructed trade deal is causing a whole new set of problems.

Good trout fishing though....

Still, on the bright side of things, they are covid-19 free.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 10:42 - Jun 14 with 1026 viewsMedwayTractor

I came out here in February for a 2 month extended "holiday of a lifetime" & the lockdown started half way through our itinerary, we've been in Taupo, N Island ever since and no sign yet (from here anyway) of things at home being improved enough to make it worth trying to return. Mrs MT says she likes the country and the people so much that she would be happy to stay for ever, except that she is suffering from Grade A grandchildren withdrawal symptoms.

I have to say that we couldn't have chosen a better place to be, especially as Mrs MT is seriously asthmatic and a type 2 diabetic. The thought of spending 24 hours flying home in a metal tube with hundreds of others isn't a good prospect, let alone what she would be faced with once we arrive.

One of my daughters-in-law is a nurse, so we have been getting COVID news from the home front. I have to say as well that BB's dispatches make emotional as well as riveting reading, I just hope that things there will be OK before long. I can't think of any reward too great for such people, there should be a special honours list for them (as well as massive pay increases now) after it is all over.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:04 - Jun 14 with 998 viewsRyorry

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 19:47 - Jun 13 by vapour_trail

Who are the other 9?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 19:51]

Good question & I thought it'd make an interesting thread of its own, so my answer's on there :)

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:06 - Jun 14 with 995 viewsblueprint

If only we had a larger land mass and a population 12 times smaller and a population density of around 20 times less . You can’t compare.
Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:10 - Jun 14 with 985 viewsRyorry

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:06 - Jun 14 by blueprint

If only we had a larger land mass and a population 12 times smaller and a population density of around 20 times less . You can’t compare.

The principles would still apply though.

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:13 - Jun 14 with 981 viewsAce_High1

Wish I lived in New Zealand. on 11:06 - Jun 14 by blueprint

Good leadership is good leadership.

What we have in the UK and in the USA is not good leadership.

Jacinda Ardern has managed her country well and lead from the front.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024