Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. 13:59 - Aug 9 with 5473 viewsChrisd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53712110

Who would be your pick for his place for the remaining tests?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:01 - Aug 9 with 5455 viewsgainsboroughblue

Family reasons apparently.

I think they'll just bring Crawley back in and he'll bat three with Root back at 4.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:07 - Aug 9 with 5430 viewsmikeybloo88

No doubt now that Woakes stays in, Crawley back, and whichever combo of seamers/spin they decide on. Depending on the wicket, I'd almost be be tempted to play Buttler as a bat, bring in Foakes and have no spinner.
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:09 - Aug 9 with 5418 viewsFtnfwest

Well if that’s the case then swap him, Bess and jimmy for Crawley, Curran and leach. I’d like to see wood get a game in place of archer as well. In this country we should be playing 2 out of broad, woakes and jimmy plus one of wood and archer. When we get to Australia in 2021/22 though we need to be playing both quicks and probably broad as it stands as long as stokes can bowl as well. So they both need some game time now and over the next year or so.
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:41 - Aug 9 with 5346 viewsRyorry

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:09 - Aug 9 by Ftnfwest

Well if that’s the case then swap him, Bess and jimmy for Crawley, Curran and leach. I’d like to see wood get a game in place of archer as well. In this country we should be playing 2 out of broad, woakes and jimmy plus one of wood and archer. When we get to Australia in 2021/22 though we need to be playing both quicks and probably broad as it stands as long as stokes can bowl as well. So they both need some game time now and over the next year or so.

Is Archer a bit susceptible to injuries & therefore in need of regular resting to keep him at peak, or have I remembered that wrongly from somewhere? 🤔

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:45 - Aug 9 with 5329 viewsgordon

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:01 - Aug 9 by gainsboroughblue

I think they'll just bring Crawley back in and he'll bat three with Root back at 4.

Wonder if there's any chance of Dan Lawrence playing instead of Crawley?
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:45 - Aug 9 with 5330 viewsFtnfwest

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:41 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Is Archer a bit susceptible to injuries & therefore in need of regular resting to keep him at peak, or have I remembered that wrongly from somewhere? 🤔

There’s always a threat that root could overbowl him certainly. We’ve got a very good group of seamers and fast bowlers now and it would be nice if they all got a game really. Broad and Woakes are the two that are undroppable right now but that can change. We have two very good fast bowlers though and it would be good to give them both some cricket over the next 15 months but have them ready to rock and roll for the first ashes test in Brisbane...together
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:52 - Aug 9 with 5317 viewsRyorry

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:45 - Aug 9 by Ftnfwest

There’s always a threat that root could overbowl him certainly. We’ve got a very good group of seamers and fast bowlers now and it would be nice if they all got a game really. Broad and Woakes are the two that are undroppable right now but that can change. We have two very good fast bowlers though and it would be good to give them both some cricket over the next 15 months but have them ready to rock and roll for the first ashes test in Brisbane...together

Aha, thanks, yes I remember now a couple of people, incl Aggers, comment during the 3rd Test with Windies that they thought Root was overbowling him & he must be pretty tired at least.

Can't wait for the Ashes!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 14:53]

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 18:24 - Aug 9 with 5188 viewsIpswichKnight

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:01 - Aug 9 by gainsboroughblue

I’d play Lawrence but then I’m Essex bias😀. I agree I think they’ll bring back Crawley at 3 and move everyone down a place which I think is actually better. Bowling wise think they’ll rest both Anderson and Archer is with Wood and probably Curran coming in. I would still like to see Robinson get a game.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 18:25]
Login to get fewer ads

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 19:04 - Aug 9 with 5153 viewsRadlett_blue

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:45 - Aug 9 by Ftnfwest

I don't see Anderson & Woakes being remotely effective in Australia, especially in 15 months time. That isn't to say we shouldn't pick our strongest starting XI for a home Test & Woakes should definitely be in that side on form. Not so sure about Anderson. Archer or Wood is probably an either/or. Curran in for Anderson would strengthen the batting with Stokes absent.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:04 - Aug 9 with 5038 viewsMelford

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 14:07 - Aug 9 by mikeybloo88

No doubt now that Woakes stays in, Crawley back, and whichever combo of seamers/spin they decide on. Depending on the wicket, I'd almost be be tempted to play Buttler as a bat, bring in Foakes and have no spinner.

Our next seven tests after this are in India and Sri Lanka, if anything we need to be giving our spinners more game time. We're going to need at least 3 in the touring party.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:15 - Aug 9 with 5024 viewsRyorry

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:04 - Aug 9 by Melford

Our next seven tests after this are in India and Sri Lanka, if anything we need to be giving our spinners more game time. We're going to need at least 3 in the touring party.

Why do England always seem to struggle to find and/or develop good spinners - is it something to do with our climate and ground conditions?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:38 - Aug 9 with 4998 viewsMelford

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:15 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Why do England always seem to struggle to find and/or develop good spinners - is it something to do with our climate and ground conditions?

Reckon so, most of the County Championship now is played either early or late in the cricket season so they can have the 20/20 Blast in the middle so early doors in April and May it's green and seaming with overcast conditions so it's perfect for swing and seam but crap for spinners. July and August when the pitches will be drier and dustier and more conducive to spin there's no County Cricket so the spinners can't get the long overs in,bowling 30 overs in an innings on a dry pitch on a boiling hot day like they used to.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:58 - Aug 9 with 4978 viewsRyorry

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:38 - Aug 9 by Melford

Reckon so, most of the County Championship now is played either early or late in the cricket season so they can have the 20/20 Blast in the middle so early doors in April and May it's green and seaming with overcast conditions so it's perfect for swing and seam but crap for spinners. July and August when the pitches will be drier and dustier and more conducive to spin there's no County Cricket so the spinners can't get the long overs in,bowling 30 overs in an innings on a dry pitch on a boiling hot day like they used to.

Ah, cheers - hadn't realised that about no CC in July/Aug.

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 08:16 - Aug 10 with 4831 viewshampstead_blue

Agree.

We've shown how flakey our batting is.

I'd also get rid of Buttler for Foakes. His runs in the last test should not paper over the massive cracks in his keeping.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 13:07 - Aug 10 with 4758 viewsRadlett_blue

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 22:04 - Aug 9 by Melford

The England tour of India was a white ball tour and has been cancelled. Hard to say where and when England will next tour, although a "goodwill" tour of the West Indies could make sense for both parties.

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 13:52 - Aug 10 with 4718 viewsgordon

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 13:07 - Aug 10 by Radlett_blue

The England tour of India was a white ball tour and has been cancelled. Hard to say where and when England will next tour, although a "goodwill" tour of the West Indies could make sense for both parties.

I think at the minute there is still an intention to play two tests in Sri Lanka in Jan 2021 followed by 5 tests in India.
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 16:48 - Aug 10 with 4665 viewsIpswichKnight

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 13:52 - Aug 10 by gordon

I think at the minute there is still an intention to play two tests in Sri Lanka in Jan 2021 followed by 5 tests in India.

I believe they are thinking about moving the test series against India to the UAE and also playing ODI's and T20's as part of the tour as well ( probably dropping one or 2 test matches to make way for the white ball stuff )
Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 17:11 - Aug 10 with 4645 viewsRadlett_blue

Ben Stokes missing the rest of the Pakistan series.. on 16:48 - Aug 10 by IpswichKnight

I believe they are thinking about moving the test series against India to the UAE and also playing ODI's and T20's as part of the tour as well ( probably dropping one or 2 test matches to make way for the white ball stuff )

That seems far more likely as both the ECB & BCCI will want to ensure there's some cricket on TV to secure broadcasting income. This will probably tilt the programme more towards white ball cricket.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024