Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garbutt 08:18 - Sep 25 with 2831 viewsArnieM

Reading this today makes me think he didn’t return here because if Lamberts rotation system and the fact that he did play in his preferred position of left wing .. anyone else think similar ?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/luke-garbutt-on-ipswich-town-future-1-6854037

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Garbutt on 08:20 - Sep 25 with 2528 viewstractorboy1978

He thought he was going to get offered more money at a higher level. I think it's as simple as that. He now has a bit of egg on his face.
Garbutt on 08:25 - Sep 25 with 2478 viewsHerbivore

Not sure you can read that much into what he's saying. It sounds like we offered him something but he wanted to hold out, the salary cap would have ended both our interest and his chances of getting a decent contract at this level. Good luck to him though, he's a good player but for me he has to play left midfield as defensively he's pretty weak. He has ability and can offer more high up the pitch. That said, I don't see him being right for the left side of a front three so I'm not sure he'd have fitted with what we're trying to do currently.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Garbutt on 08:25 - Sep 25 with 2474 viewsArnieM

Yes he has cocked it up a tad hasn’t he . But Towns offer was on the table I believe .

Garbutt on 08:45 - Sep 25 with 2368 viewsKeno

Garbutt on 08:20 - Sep 25 by tractorboy1978

He thought he was going to get offered more money at a higher level. I think it's as simple as that. He now has a bit of egg on his face.

has J2 been cooking for him?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Garbutt on 09:10 - Sep 25 with 2239 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Garbutt on 09:30 - Sep 25 with 2134 viewsWickets

I agree and poor advice from his agent i would think . As soon as a salary cap for league 1 and 2 was muted he should have signed for us or Sunderland as i dont think there could have been Championship interest or that is where he would have ended up .
Garbutt on 09:38 - Sep 25 with 2084 viewsclive_baker

Yep, probably thought it worth holding out to see if a Championship club might take a punt on him. Maybe regrets it slightly now, but I dare say what Blackpool are paying him probably isn't dissimilar to what we would've offered anyway, and he's closer to home.

Not great loss from my perspective. The only role he could've potentially played for us is that wide left in the front 3, because he sure as hell isn't a left back. He's got good technique, good delivery and his set pieces are dangerous, but I'm not sure he would offer what our other options do there in terms of goal threat and ability to get in behind their fullbacks.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Garbutt on 09:48 - Sep 25 with 2048 viewsitfcjoe

Garbutt on 09:38 - Sep 25 by clive_baker

Yep, probably thought it worth holding out to see if a Championship club might take a punt on him. Maybe regrets it slightly now, but I dare say what Blackpool are paying him probably isn't dissimilar to what we would've offered anyway, and he's closer to home.

Not great loss from my perspective. The only role he could've potentially played for us is that wide left in the front 3, because he sure as hell isn't a left back. He's got good technique, good delivery and his set pieces are dangerous, but I'm not sure he would offer what our other options do there in terms of goal threat and ability to get in behind their fullbacks.

Blackpool are spending a fair amount so he won't be on peanuts, and gets to live closer to home so no relocation costs for a season.

Biggest issue for me is he talked about wanting to find a home, settling somewhere at his age etc, and he turns down multi year contracts from us and Sunderland and ends up on a 12 month deal at Blackpool

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Garbutt on 09:51 - Sep 25 with 2019 viewsIpswichKnight

Garbutt on 09:38 - Sep 25 by clive_baker

This, we have players already in the building who can do the job, we have other areas that need money spent on so I'm not disappointed that we didn't get him. It might be that re-visit him IF we get promoted and have the clear out that looks like it might happen at the end of the season ( think we have a lot of players contracts running out end of this season ).
Garbutt on 10:13 - Sep 25 with 1937 viewsArnieM

Garbutt on 09:48 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

Blackpool are spending a fair amount so he won't be on peanuts, and gets to live closer to home so no relocation costs for a season.

Biggest issue for me is he talked about wanting to find a home, settling somewhere at his age etc, and he turns down multi year contracts from us and Sunderland and ends up on a 12 month deal at Blackpool

Makes him one of the games journeymen then ?

Garbutt on 10:33 - Sep 25 with 1870 viewsmonty_radio

Garbutt on 10:13 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Makes him one of the games journeymen then ?

He was a standout for us, yet no Championship club was tempted. Says something about where we are, perhaps.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Garbutt on 10:48 - Sep 25 with 1809 viewsclive_baker

Garbutt on 10:33 - Sep 25 by monty_radio

He was a standout for us, yet no Championship club was tempted. Says something about where we are, perhaps.

He's spent the past 2 seasons at mid table League 1 sides. Oxford improved dramatically after his departure, and hopefully we will too. He caught the eye at times here because he chipped in with a few goals, largely from set pieces, but his frangibleness defensively was quite evident. Stick him on the left of midfield in a 4-4-2 and he'll do a job, but I'm minded to think this is his level that he's found in recent seasons.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Garbutt on 11:07 - Sep 25 with 1769 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 10:48 - Sep 25 by clive_baker

He's spent the past 2 seasons at mid table League 1 sides. Oxford improved dramatically after his departure, and hopefully we will too. He caught the eye at times here because he chipped in with a few goals, largely from set pieces, but his frangibleness defensively was quite evident. Stick him on the left of midfield in a 4-4-2 and he'll do a job, but I'm minded to think this is his level that he's found in recent seasons.

Agree with this. I think describing him as a standout here is a bit strong as well. His performances tailed off, especially after he was asked to play deeper. Decent return in terms of goals and assists, in large part because of his quality at set pieces, but I also tend to think this is his level. He doesn't offer enough going forward to play as a winger at a higher level than this, not really quick or skillful enough. You can be a tidy wide player in League 1 but it's harder to pull off above this level.

Garbutt on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 1687 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Garbutt on 09:48 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

If he wanted to be nearer home he should have taken the Sunderland deal.

Closer to home, bigger / better club and by the sounds of it a longer deal.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Garbutt on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1679 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 11:54 - Sep 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

If he wanted to be nearer home he should have taken the Sunderland deal.

Closer to home, bigger / better club and by the sounds of it a longer deal.

Your geography is well off if you think Sunderland is closer to Liverpool than Blackpool is.

Garbutt on 12:02 - Sep 25 with 1665 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Garbutt on 11:57 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Your geography is well off if you think Sunderland is closer to Liverpool than Blackpool is.

He's from Harrogate. I suspect that given that during his Everton career he has been perennially out on loan, I doubt that he sees Liverpool as 'home'.

He's spent more time down south during his Everton career than he has in Liverpool.

#doyourhomework

Garbutt on 12:04 - Sep 25 with 1651 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 12:02 - Sep 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

He's from Harrogate. I suspect that given that during his Everton career he has been perennially out on loan, I doubt that he sees Liverpool as 'home'.

He's spent more time down south during his Everton career than he has in Liverpool.

#doyourhomework

Yeah I doubt he's bothered basing himself in Liverpool for the 11 years he's spent at Everton.

Garbutt on 12:07 - Sep 25 with 1642 viewsArnieM

Garbutt on 10:33 - Sep 25 by monty_radio

Potentially yes, but it may also reflect the ridiculous wages that players agents try to milk from clubs. He was start8ngnfrom a very high base with the 5 yr contract Everton had given him.

Garbutt on 12:09 - Sep 25 with 1629 viewsArnieM

Garbutt on 11:57 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Garbutt was born in the North East !

Garbutt on 12:09 - Sep 25 with 1629 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Garbutt on 12:04 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Yeah I doubt he's bothered basing himself in Liverpool for the 11 years he's spent at Everton.

Lol.

Keep digging.

When he was on loan at Colchester, Ipswich, Fulham, Cheltenham and Oxford... how much time do you think he spent in Liverpool (well Cheshire or Formby anyway).

I very much doubt he sees Liverpool as home.

Garbutt on 12:15 - Sep 25 with 1608 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 12:09 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Garbutt was born in the North East !

He was born in Yorkshire and has been at Everton since he was 15.

Garbutt on 12:18 - Sep 25 with 1598 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 12:09 - Sep 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lol.

Keep digging.

When he was on loan at Colchester, Ipswich, Fulham, Cheltenham and Oxford... how much time do you think he spent in Liverpool (well Cheshire or Formby anyway).

I very much doubt he sees Liverpool as home.

No digging required, he's been at Everton since he was 15, 11 years there. I'll leave you to laugh it up, can't be arsed with your tired routine to be honest.

Garbutt on 12:23 - Sep 25 with 1580 viewsArnieM

Garbutt on 12:15 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

He was born in Yorkshire and has been at Everton since he was 15.

Says Harrogate here .....

Which agreed is Yorkshire county but it’s pretty damn close to the NE and Sunderland .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Garbutt
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 12:25]

Garbutt on 12:24 - Sep 25 with 1569 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Garbutt on 12:18 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

No digging required, he's been at Everton since he was 15, 11 years there. I'll leave you to laugh it up, can't be arsed with your tired routine to be honest.

15 years in Harrogate, 10 years at Everton (apart from the 5-6 years away on loan down south).

OK Herbibore, agree to differ.

Garbutt on 12:25 - Sep 25 with 1569 viewsHerbivore

Garbutt on 12:23 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Says Harrogate here .....

Which agreed is Yorkshire county but it’s pretty damn close to the NE and Sunderland .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Garbutt
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 12:25]

Harrogate is in Yorkshire.....

And it's also about as close to Sunderland as it is to Blackpool.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 12:29]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024