Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Social Dilemma 20:31 - Oct 12 with 1499 viewsnoggin

Wow! How gullible are we ALL? I really want to close all my social media accounts but, like a drug addict, I'm too frightened to. I am an addict ffs.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The Social Dilemma on 21:07 - Oct 12 with 1410 viewsDubtractor

Refreshes page........

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Social Dilemma on 16:15 - Oct 13 with 1149 viewsjeera

The Social Dilemma on 21:07 - Oct 12 by Dubtractor

Refreshes page........

*like*

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Social Dilemma on 16:17 - Oct 13 with 1143 viewsEwan_Oozami

The Social Dilemma on 16:15 - Oct 13 by jeera

*like*

RT

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The Social Dilemma on 17:03 - Oct 13 with 1077 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Social Dilemma on 16:17 - Oct 13 by Ewan_Oozami

RT

Look at what this wazzock said...

The Social Dilemma by Dubtractor 12 Oct 2020 21:07
Refreshes page........

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Social Dilemma on 17:09 - Oct 13 with 1059 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't have facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. I look at twitter occasionally for a laugh and sometimes for work, and only pay attention to anything if it's from a known source. I never look at Facebook. This place is my only social media fix.

Even so, the other aspects of that documentary touching on the constant distraction and impact on concentration I recognise well. I'm horrendous these days - 10 minutes of trying to focus on a work task and I'm bored and reaching for something else to do.

It's re-focussed my worry about the kids too, as both of mine are addicted to YouTube and sh*tty free to download games. And they've started looking at Tikok or whatever it's called. They have major concentration issues.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Social Dilemma on 17:12 - Oct 13 with 1051 viewsnoggin

No likes

The Social Dilemma on 17:17 - Oct 13 with 1040 viewsnoggin

The Social Dilemma on 17:09 - Oct 13 by Swansea_Blue

I don't have facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. I look at twitter occasionally for a laugh and sometimes for work, and only pay attention to anything if it's from a known source. I never look at Facebook. This place is my only social media fix.

Even so, the other aspects of that documentary touching on the constant distraction and impact on concentration I recognise well. I'm horrendous these days - 10 minutes of trying to focus on a work task and I'm bored and reaching for something else to do.

It's re-focussed my worry about the kids too, as both of mine are addicted to YouTube and sh*tty free to download games. And they've started looking at Tikok or whatever it's called. They have major concentration issues.

Just about everyone I know is the same. The comparison to the slot machines is so true. We love a dopamine kick and opening Facebook might just give it to us.

The Social Dilemma on 17:18 - Oct 13 with 1034 viewsDubtractor

The Social Dilemma on 17:12 - Oct 13 by noggin

No likes

Sorted. Don't want you getting depressed about it man.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

The Social Dilemma on 17:25 - Oct 13 with 1022 viewsjeera

I can't help but smile at the self-deprecating nature of the current Voxi ad.

"I am endless". The girl in the ad is brilliant.

And there was the Superorganism track that was mocking social media users.

I watch and listen to these and wonder if their target audience realise the irony or not.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2020 17:38]

The Social Dilemma on 17:31 - Oct 13 with 1004 viewsnoggin

The Social Dilemma on 17:18 - Oct 13 by Dubtractor

Sorted. Don't want you getting depressed about it man.

Back at ya bro.

The Social Dilemma on 17:48 - Oct 13 with 973 viewsDubtractor

The Social Dilemma on 17:31 - Oct 13 by noggin

Back at ya bro.

Joking aside, I do genuinely look for engagement on a lot of my social media posts, with them being promoting my radio shows and other people's music, so do get a bit disappointed when the engagement isn't what I'd hope for.

I am very much a part of the game!

The Social Dilemma on 17:48 - Oct 13 with 972 viewsDarth_Koont

Same here re: social media.

I only use Facebook for rugby stuff and Messenger. And Twitter is more of a tool for finding interesting views and articles plus seeing what the political fanboys and pundits/cheerleaders are trying to push. When you delve into these echo chambers it’s amazing to see how blunt and unnuanced some of the views are.

When I talk to my daughters who are 18 and 15 they seem to have a very clear view on TikTok, YouTube and social media but it’s based on a source of interesting content rather than them having an outlet for their own opinions. I think the self-publishing and promoting stuff really hit home with those for whom that’s never been possible and it’s a novelty. But youngsters who have grown up with it seem more critical (and self-critical) about what is worth sharing. And certainly who is worth believing or following.

They’re also aware that anyone can film and edit relatively professionally nowadays. So a Farage mini hate-speech doesn’t have any implied legitimacy just because there’s some sweeping panoramas, drone footage and texture to the colours - they know it’s still a bitter man with a couple of grand of equipment and a dogsbody to hold it for him.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Social Dilemma on 22:37 - Oct 14 with 802 viewsdickie

I just watched this, man that film was bleak! I feel I need to get rid of social media now but it's my main way of generating new work. Stuck in the machine, will definitely be downloading an app that monitors my usage though
The Social Dilemma on 23:20 - Oct 14 with 767 viewsSpruceMoose

Follow it up by watching 'Capital in the Twenty First Century'. That's on Netflix too, and will equally ruin your night.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Social Dilemma on 00:33 - Oct 15 with 727 viewsjeera

Even the last couple of minutes of summarising from the interviewees whilst the credits were rolling were worth watching to get a taste of their feelings.

A few of them saying they don't let own kids near much of the social media that is popular with so many people.

Well worth an hour or so of anyone's time.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 0:34]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024