Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boring 10:40 - Nov 22 with 844 viewsclive_baker

Uninspiring, tedious and won't be one that'll live long in the memory.

Still, if you see this Fishers, all the best.

As for the football, what on earth was that about? We really do look rudderless, there's evidently a leadership vacuum at the club because there's not a cat in hells chance we should be serving up performances like that against Shrewsbury. Lets be real about this, they're a very poor side.

What frustrates me so much is the amount of times we don't get the basics right, tracking runners, losing our shape, giving away cheap possession, cheap penalties, misplaced passes. Nsiala with his diags, please stop doing that. There was an occasion near the end where Bennetts had a 5 yard pass to make to Judge and he sends it a yard left of him. Huws in the middle spooning the ball into the air which McGuinness had to get him out of jail for. Scoring in the 96th minute and still threatening to throw it away. McGavin's a kid and largely did OK, but he was hit and miss. His delivery was so poor at times, we still can't put a corner of freekick into the box and beat the first man. It isn't rocket science, it's basics. His pass inside in the 2nd half that they quite easily could've had a penalty from. I've defended Judge on here but his 1st half performance with the ball in particular was a genuine 1/10 yesterday and as bad as I've seen all season. Second half a 2 or 3 if we're being generous. Lankester was awful, he'll get himself out of jail with the winner but he was poor throughout. Sears not much better.

Norwood by the way, he's 40% fit but his movement is better than anything I've seen from us all season, he absolutely needs to start.

We've got enough about us to ask questions of a lot of sides at this level and flat track bully our way out of it, but this obsession with possession without purpose has to stop, and we need to stop accommodating a system that doesn't play at all to our strengths. Aside from Edwards we don't really have any out and out wingers, and our 2 most dangerous goal threats are Jackson and Norwood. I would start them both in a front 2.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Boring on 10:57 - Nov 22 with 778 viewsSteve_M

Yes, we were so bad at the basics yesterday - countless miscontrolled balls or crap passes - coupled with the all too frequent lack of urgency. It’s in total contrast to how we started the season or even the parts of the Sunderland and Portsmouth matches after we finally got going.

Only Bishop and Jackson of the starting XI did very much positive and Jackson was out of the game most of the time. Yesterday was crying out for us to try to change the pattern and tempo of the game. Putting Norwood up front with Jackson seemed an obvious move. Quite telling watching the highlights back how good a ball in it was from Chambers for the winner and how it contrasts with too much of what we did yesterday.

The expectation now has to be that two of the better sides in the division will pick up points from us this week, but we can play a lot better than we did yesterday so up to Lambert to get that out of them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Boring on 11:05 - Nov 22 with 753 viewsN2_Blue

your last para, absolutely.

Norwood and Jackson were one of the better aspects of last season. Get them both fit and give them opportunities and we will score. Mix it up with Hawkins when it's not working or a change is needed. WIth a more cohesive defence and forward thinking midfield than last season we may do ok.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Boring on 11:11 - Nov 22 with 730 viewsportmanroadblue

Agree with most of this, not sure about Jackson though, if 442, would like to see Hawkins and Norwood up front together and hammer the 18 yard box with crosses at every opportunity.
Boring on 11:15 - Nov 22 with 723 viewspatrickswell

Boring on 10:57 - Nov 22 by Steve_M

Yes, we were so bad at the basics yesterday - countless miscontrolled balls or crap passes - coupled with the all too frequent lack of urgency. It’s in total contrast to how we started the season or even the parts of the Sunderland and Portsmouth matches after we finally got going.

Only Bishop and Jackson of the starting XI did very much positive and Jackson was out of the game most of the time. Yesterday was crying out for us to try to change the pattern and tempo of the game. Putting Norwood up front with Jackson seemed an obvious move. Quite telling watching the highlights back how good a ball in it was from Chambers for the winner and how it contrasts with too much of what we did yesterday.

The expectation now has to be that two of the better sides in the division will pick up points from us this week, but we can play a lot better than we did yesterday so up to Lambert to get that out of them.

I thought McGavin played well also.
Boring on 11:18 - Nov 22 with 713 viewsKeaneish

I find it baffling that Norwood gets so much negativity on this board. Naturally we expected him to hit 20+ last season and he should have been thereabouts with the glaring opportunities he missed but he still gave us a decent return and is clearly the best threat we have.

Him and Jackson are a no brainier to start for me. As is Wolfenden so why this isn’t happening only the tinker man can say.

If we’d lost yesterday, he should have gone. It would have been four straight defeats, 8th in the league and out of all cups before Christmas. I don’t see anything to suggest we can sustain a challenge. Lambert clearly doesn’t learn from his mistakes and as you say, the basics just aren’t there.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Boring on 11:23 - Nov 22 with 691 viewsSteve_M

Boring on 11:15 - Nov 22 by patrickswell

I thought McGavin played well also.

Yes, he did on the whole. That slip late on could have been costly and some of his corners were awful but he did do well.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Boring on 11:50 - Nov 22 with 648 viewsGarv

To pick out one minor point from that, I don't have a problem with the diagonal passes. They won't always come off, but Toto himself has sent some good long passes to the wingers this season, and Chambers is currently winning pass of the season with his that set Edwards up for his second at Blackpool. They're a good out ball, so I wouldn't expect to see us stop trying them.

When Dozzell is back we might have a bit more success with them. McGavin was hit and miss but he's there to spread and dictate play so he's got to try it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Boring on 12:05 - Nov 22 with 624 viewsAce_High1

Haha great intro Clive, made me laugh.
Login to get fewer ads

Boring on 12:24 - Nov 22 with 593 viewsGuthrum

There was one really nice FK from McGavin, when he just gently lifted the ball over the defensive wall and into a very dangerous area. It was low and disguised enough to arrive before the defence could react, but not so strong as to go straight out or make it easy for the goalie. Unfortunately, nobody managed to quite get on the end of it effectively, but it was well executed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Boring on 12:54 - Nov 22 with 540 viewscatch74

Boring on 12:24 - Nov 22 by Guthrum

There was one really nice FK from McGavin, when he just gently lifted the ball over the defensive wall and into a very dangerous area. It was low and disguised enough to arrive before the defence could react, but not so strong as to go straight out or make it easy for the goalie. Unfortunately, nobody managed to quite get on the end of it effectively, but it was well executed.

Am I going mad or was Lankester taking set pieces when he played previously, why isn’t he now!?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Boring on 14:49 - Nov 22 with 452 viewspatrickswell

Boring on 12:54 - Nov 22 by catch74

Am I going mad or was Lankester taking set pieces when he played previously, why isn’t he now!?

He was taking the corners by the end of the match.
Boring on 14:50 - Nov 22 with 447 viewscatch74

Boring on 14:49 - Nov 22 by patrickswell

He was taking the corners by the end of the match.

Think I was asleep by then.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024