Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The mess of the team and the tactics 09:16 - Jan 11 with 1314 viewsBluefish

This tweet is a good example of what I have been banging on about even when we were winning
Look at where the wide forwards are playing, they are as wide as they can be so it leaves us having 3 individuals up front instead of any sort of attacking unit.

Now factor in the midfield, we have 3 players but 2 of them are given a free role. AD has the freedom to drop deep to try and find pockets of space to play a QB role and Judge has a free role in the 10 to roam. This leaves 1 CM to play effectively alone in terms of a disciplined unit.

Early on in the season I saw us playing this way and gave a lot of blame to Edwards who I saw as choosing to play that way. It is clear now that it is drummed into the players and a deliberate style of play. We effectively have 5 free roles in the team if you include the striker although that should be played in a more disciplined way

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The mess of the team and the tactics on 09:48 - Jan 11 with 1188 viewsMattinLondon

Have you been banging on about something?
The mess of the team and the tactics on 09:50 - Jan 11 with 1176 viewsSwansea_Blue

The mess of the team and the tactics on 09:48 - Jan 11 by MattinLondon

Have you been banging on about something?

Something about being surprised that wingers play out wide. Just humour him

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The mess of the team and the tactics on 10:06 - Jan 11 with 1124 viewsrickw

Nowadays in a 433 system it's the full backs who give the width and the wide forwards are often the biggest goalscorers, unfortunately our full backs have a combined age of 70 and can't get make those overlapping runs as often as needed.

When KVY is back I'm sure he will, however I still doubt our "wide forwards" will be encouraged to get in the box more - they are being played as wingers in a 451 system rather than 433 wide forwards....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

The mess of the team and the tactics on 12:15 - Jan 11 with 936 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bit confused by the way the ‘anomalies’ have been removed by the tweeter there. Completely understand the concept - Jackson for example has one from our own box which presumably came when defending a set piece, however Dozzell’s map has 4 dots close together on the left which are excluded whilst Downes has 2 in the top right included?

Completely agree with your general points though

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The mess of the team and the tactics on 12:49 - Jan 11 with 854 viewsjayessess

The mess of the team and the tactics on 09:50 - Jan 11 by Swansea_Blue

Something about being surprised that wingers play out wide. Just humour him

He's right though. 4-3-3 requires the wingers to get closer to the striker than Jackson or Dobra are managing.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The mess of the team and the tactics on 13:24 - Jan 11 with 767 viewsITFC_96

Why is Judge encroaching on Dobra's position so much?

No wonder he never got a chance on the ball in the second half.
The mess of the team and the tactics on 14:09 - Jan 11 with 709 viewsitfcjoe

I’d like to see Jackson’s from playing that exact same role against Burton, he was coming off the forward a lot in the first half and looking dangerous - looks as though he has been instructed not to do that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The mess of the team and the tactics on 14:24 - Jan 11 with 660 viewsSwansea_Blue

The mess of the team and the tactics on 12:49 - Jan 11 by jayessess

He's right though. 4-3-3 requires the wingers to get closer to the striker than Jackson or Dobra are managing.

I was trying to bait fishers into a woosh, but failed miserably.

I didn't see us on Saturday thankfully, so can't really comment on how we were playing other than from the highlights. Jackson's certainly hugging that touchline, so I expect it's been drilled into him. And in fairness it worked for our first. It was a cracking ball in from Jackson, right into that space between the keeper and defence.

But yeah, you don't want fullbacks providing the width and classic wingers. Although there's nothing wrong in principle with two wide wingers and a lone forward, as long as one or two of the midfielders get in the box for support.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

The mess of the team and the tactics on 14:57 - Jan 11 with 597 viewsLankHenners

The mess of the team and the tactics on 14:09 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

I’d like to see Jackson’s from playing that exact same role against Burton, he was coming off the forward a lot in the first half and looking dangerous - looks as though he has been instructed not to do that

That's his pass map and heat map against Burton.

That's his heat map against Swindon

Clearly against Swindon he was much more focused out wide whereas he against Burton he was not so stuck to a certain area.

The wide areas are a mess for us at the moment. The players we're playing there aren't natural wide players which wouldn't be an issue if they drifted in and let the full backs go up and down. However that doesn't work so well because they're 35. Thompson and Twine on the left for Swindon showed exactly how it could be done. Forcing someone like Jackson out wide almost completely wastes him, especially as we move the ball about so slowly that we don't get to use his pace. Similarly on the other side, Dobra has a few dribble but by the time he receives the ball he has at least 3 or 4 players to get past before he can create something which is very unlikely to happen.

Woolfenden called it right - no joined-up thinking and no playing to anyone's strengths (although did get a bit better at that when Norwood came on).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024