Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far 20:53 - Feb 25 with 1474 viewsElderGrizzly

Astonishing statistic and a real failure in the EU.

The issue for us, is it might delay any reopening of foreign travel if it doesn’t pick up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/25/acceptance-problem-as-most-oxford-
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 20:56 - Feb 25 with 1444 viewsLord_Lucan

They have politicised it. Even Merkel has come out and said she won't get the Oxford as she is too old for it.

They should hang their heads in shame.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 21:05]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:01 - Feb 25 with 1414 viewsElderGrizzly

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 20:56 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

They have politicised it. Even Merkel has come out and said she won't get the Oxford as she is too old for it.

They should hang their heads in shame.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 21:05]

I knew it was bad over there, but astonished take up is so low

Equally surprising was our split of Pfizer vs AZ over here. Currently 54% Pfizer being used
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:03 - Feb 25 with 1385 viewsJ2BLUE

They were a disgrace. Threw a massive tantrum then when AZ didn't back down they started making untrue claims about the vaccines.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:04 - Feb 25 with 1379 viewsLord_Lucan

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:01 - Feb 25 by ElderGrizzly

I knew it was bad over there, but astonished take up is so low

Equally surprising was our split of Pfizer vs AZ over here. Currently 54% Pfizer being used

I am also surprised as it's a bastard to store and administer.

I suppose they are commited to x amount Pfizer and need to use them - after which they may go more onto Oxford.

We don't know what contracts have been signed really but it looks like they have covered all their bases.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:08 - Feb 25 with 1360 viewsJ2BLUE

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:04 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

I am also surprised as it's a bastard to store and administer.

I suppose they are commited to x amount Pfizer and need to use them - after which they may go more onto Oxford.

We don't know what contracts have been signed really but it looks like they have covered all their bases.

My local surgery seem to be using exclusively Pfizer. They have the cold storage. Looks really busy up there.

Truly impaired.

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:09 - Feb 25 with 1364 viewsStokieBlue

I just posted that in the thread we had the other day.

Numerous people from within the EU were claiming it wasn't about messaging and that it was about efficacy (which isn't really the most important thing). That is clearly shown to be incorrect with the comments coming out of the EU on messaging now.

It's shameful that 80% of AZ supplies are going unused both because other countries would give anything to get them and because the EU citizens themselves aren't getting the protection they need.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:05 - Feb 25 with 1211 viewsChurchman

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 21:09 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

I just posted that in the thread we had the other day.

Numerous people from within the EU were claiming it wasn't about messaging and that it was about efficacy (which isn't really the most important thing). That is clearly shown to be incorrect with the comments coming out of the EU on messaging now.

It's shameful that 80% of AZ supplies are going unused both because other countries would give anything to get them and because the EU citizens themselves aren't getting the protection they need.

SB

It was all about the messaging and the politics; all about beating up a company because of its British connections.

If I was German I’d wait for the good stuff and not get fobbed off with the British rubbish that Macron Merkel and the German MEPs say doesn’t work and hasn’t been tested properly. There’s no smoke without fire so why risk it? All rubbish of course, but there it is. It’s of Macron, Merkel and co’s making.
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:17 - Feb 25 with 1169 viewsEdmundo

If we were in the EU we could press for the unused vaccine to go to the 3rd World. Until every country has vaccinated travel will be a risky business for any country (especially NZ and Australia - they could be quarantining visitors for years).

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Login to get fewer ads

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:18 - Feb 25 with 1162 viewsJ2BLUE

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:17 - Feb 25 by Edmundo

If we were in the EU we could press for the unused vaccine to go to the 3rd World. Until every country has vaccinated travel will be a risky business for any country (especially NZ and Australia - they could be quarantining visitors for years).

If we were in the EU they wouldn't have lunged in two footed on the vaccine.

Truly impaired.

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:48 - Feb 25 with 1118 viewsallezlesbleus

I was chatting with my French neighbours at the weekend and they were livid with Macron. They are in their late 70's and had the letter several weeks ago to get the vaccine, but still haven't been able to get an appointment.

Apparently a number of Mayors had said that they were going to buy and oversee the distribution of the vaccines for the residents of their towns and villages, but the French Government banned them from doing this.

Only around 4 million people have been vaccinated throughout France, compared to around 18 million in the UK. France has so far received 1.4 million doses of the Oxford vaccine and less than 250,000 have actually been used. I haven't seen any reports on whether the French population are refusing the Oxford vaccine or whether the government have not made it widely available for use.
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 01:13 - Feb 26 with 990 viewsEireannach_gorm

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 22:05 - Feb 25 by Churchman

It was all about the messaging and the politics; all about beating up a company because of its British connections.

If I was German I’d wait for the good stuff and not get fobbed off with the British rubbish that Macron Merkel and the German MEPs say doesn’t work and hasn’t been tested properly. There’s no smoke without fire so why risk it? All rubbish of course, but there it is. It’s of Macron, Merkel and co’s making.

The politics was not about beating up a company because of its British connections but because it would not supply it. Certain EU countries then played the less effective card to take the heat off themselves whitch was as definitely politics. In Ireland we have only started vaccinating the over 85s due to the supply problem and the Health Service has decided that they will get the PFizer vaccine. AstraZeneca will be used for people younger when their turn comes. Currently AstraZeneca is being given to health workers who have not got the vaccine yet.
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 07:48 - Feb 26 with 838 viewsChurchman

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 01:13 - Feb 26 by Eireannach_gorm

The politics was not about beating up a company because of its British connections but because it would not supply it. Certain EU countries then played the less effective card to take the heat off themselves whitch was as definitely politics. In Ireland we have only started vaccinating the over 85s due to the supply problem and the Health Service has decided that they will get the PFizer vaccine. AstraZeneca will be used for people younger when their turn comes. Currently AstraZeneca is being given to health workers who have not got the vaccine yet.

Of course it was all about AZ and the U.K. The EU thought it and AZ were easy targets and a good way of deflecting blame for their hopeless procurement process and timing. They put cost and politics before peoples lives. It’s as simple as that.

Even now VDL is deflecting accountability by selling the line that the EU put safety of its citizens first while the U.K. took risks. This just adds to people’s suspicion about the worth of the AZ vaccine. Very smart. Just like their nonsense over the AZ contract against the U.Ks the opposite seems to be true. They are also peddling the line that for 27 countries procurement couldn’t have been done any other way. That’s about as believable as a Lambert press conference.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 7:51]
80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 12:44 - Feb 26 with 703 viewsEireannach_gorm

80% of vaccines delivered to the EU are unused so far on 07:48 - Feb 26 by Churchman

Of course it was all about AZ and the U.K. The EU thought it and AZ were easy targets and a good way of deflecting blame for their hopeless procurement process and timing. They put cost and politics before peoples lives. It’s as simple as that.

Even now VDL is deflecting accountability by selling the line that the EU put safety of its citizens first while the U.K. took risks. This just adds to people’s suspicion about the worth of the AZ vaccine. Very smart. Just like their nonsense over the AZ contract against the U.Ks the opposite seems to be true. They are also peddling the line that for 27 countries procurement couldn’t have been done any other way. That’s about as believable as a Lambert press conference.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 7:51]

You seem to be pushing a particular narrative regarding the EU Vs the UK. The EU consisting of sovereign states agreed to a collective procurement deal. As far as the EU was concerned they had a deal with Astrazeneca and that it was reneged on in favour of the UK. This may or may not be the case.

This is actually what Ursula von der Leyen said:
https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/10/von-der-leyen-defends-eu-vaccine-strategy-bu

Individual states did cast doubt on the efficacy of the Astrazeneca vaccine which has backfired on them ( France had a poor vaccination rate even before this ). I'm not sure where you got the EU peddling the procurement could not be done any other way. Each country in the EU has its own Covid-19 policy so there different procurement and deployment methods in each.
Denmark purchased extra PFizer vaccine
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-denmark-is-administering-vaccin

Ireland would be quite happy to buy vaccine off the UK.
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/leo-varadkar-ireland-would-be-happy-to-buy-s
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024