Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That tackle 12:09 - Mar 7 with 2555 viewssaffers12

from Dozzell - went for a long run this morning to get rid of the game but that tackle from him was beyond shocking, pointless and UNPROFESSIONAL

Can that mindset be changed?
That tackle on 12:25 - Mar 7 with 2463 viewsFixed_It

We do seem to be conceding a lot of needless free-kicks in dangerous areas this season. Has it always been so? I can't say I'd particularly noticed before.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

That tackle on 12:28 - Mar 7 with 2453 viewsRadioOrwell

That tackle on 12:25 - Mar 7 by Fixed_It

We do seem to be conceding a lot of needless free-kicks in dangerous areas this season. Has it always been so? I can't say I'd particularly noticed before.

It's not even dangerous areas. It happens when our forwards clatter into the back of a defender, who is looking for exactly that, and ends up with a free kick.

When all else fails, act like a tough guy, crash into someone, and then complain to the ref when he gives a free kick.
That tackle on 12:30 - Mar 7 with 2436 viewssaffers12

That tackle on 12:28 - Mar 7 by RadioOrwell

It's not even dangerous areas. It happens when our forwards clatter into the back of a defender, who is looking for exactly that, and ends up with a free kick.

When all else fails, act like a tough guy, crash into someone, and then complain to the ref when he gives a free kick.

It's an insult to the defender who had him covered , saying I don't trust you on some level
That tackle on 12:41 - Mar 7 with 2382 viewsjayessess

Do we do it a lot more than other teams? We've committed 15 fouls to Gillingham's 13 yesterday and we also scored from a free kick in a similar position. We've also got our winner at Accrington and our first against Doncaster from similar positions.

It's frustrating as hell to watch your team give away unnecessary fouls, but I wonder if it's just something that's inevitably going to happen if you're trying to get tight, put pressure on etc.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

That tackle on 12:45 - Mar 7 with 2360 viewssaffers12

That tackle on 12:41 - Mar 7 by jayessess

Do we do it a lot more than other teams? We've committed 15 fouls to Gillingham's 13 yesterday and we also scored from a free kick in a similar position. We've also got our winner at Accrington and our first against Doncaster from similar positions.

It's frustrating as hell to watch your team give away unnecessary fouls, but I wonder if it's just something that's inevitably going to happen if you're trying to get tight, put pressure on etc.

No issue with getting blown up if it's a 50 / 50 in a tussle but that was needless yesterday.Having watched Wigan a few times when Cook in charge, he will definitely get that removed from our game
That tackle on 12:51 - Mar 7 with 2323 viewsIllinoisblue

That is a big weakness in his game.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

That tackle on 13:06 - Mar 7 with 2246 viewsmrshallisfit

Dozzell can pick a pass; and has great vision in midfield. Unfortunately, the other parts of his game that make it unlikely he will have a successful career as a professional football. Can we afford to keep him with all those attributes?
That tackle on 13:17 - Mar 7 with 2176 viewscatch74

That tackle on 13:06 - Mar 7 by mrshallisfit

Dozzell can pick a pass; and has great vision in midfield. Unfortunately, the other parts of his game that make it unlikely he will have a successful career as a professional football. Can we afford to keep him with all those attributes?

He is actually quite successful at nicking the ball, feels like he goes in with that mentality, rather than a full blooded tackle.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Login to get fewer ads

That tackle on 13:20 - Mar 7 with 2157 viewsjayessess

That tackle on 13:06 - Mar 7 by mrshallisfit

He's 21, has had 66 games of league football and plays in a position which requires you to read the game very well. If we wave him off on his way at this point there's every chance we'll regret it when he's grown up a bit and his play is a bit more streetwise.

That tackle on 13:21 - Mar 7 with 2154 viewschrismakin

It's a sign of panic when you take a player down from behind.

Weve got to stop worrying that an opponent may score a goal. It happens. What we have to stop doing is giving them the opportunities to score and theres nothing worse than giving them free kicks anywhere in our own half.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

That tackle on 13:22 - Mar 7 with 2151 viewscatch74

That tackle on 13:20 - Mar 7 by jayessess

He's 21, has had 66 games of league football and plays in a position which requires you to read the game very well. If we wave him off on his way at this point there's every chance we'll regret it when he's grown up a bit and his play is a bit more streetwise.

Agreed. Having missed a year with a horrendous injury too. He’s only going to get better.

That tackle on 13:27 - Mar 7 with 2109 viewschrismakin

That tackle on 13:22 - Mar 7 by catch74

Agreed. Having missed a year with a horrendous injury too. He’s only going to get better.

Another reason why we are painful in midfield

To Manu plauers with previous long term injuries.. constantly jumping out of 50 50 tackles.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

That tackle on 13:31 - Mar 7 with 2087 viewsjayessess

That tackle on 13:22 - Mar 7 by catch74

It's weird. We all say we want the club to have a decent medium to long term plan, to identify young(er) players with the ability to kick on and trust them to play, even if they sometimes make mistakes. It is after all the only way the club is going to progress - developing talent, selling it, buying more talent to develop etc.

But errors and inconsistent performances are going to be part of that!

That tackle on 13:36 - Mar 7 with 2053 viewsDubtractor

That tackle on 13:31 - Mar 7 by jayessess

It's weird. We all say we want the club to have a decent medium to long term plan, to identify young(er) players with the ability to kick on and trust them to play, even if they sometimes make mistakes. It is after all the only way the club is going to progress - developing talent, selling it, buying more talent to develop etc.

But errors and inconsistent performances are going to be part of that!

Exactly this.

Come on people, it was a silly, clumsy challenge, and it is a weakness in his game, but he is only 21, he's one of our own, and his game is coming on leaps and bounds this season.

Everyone complained about loanees taking our young players opportunities, but if we do want to play the academy products we have to allow them to make mistakes. The phrase often used on here, in relation to players like McGuiness, is that we'd rather develop our own players and iron out mistakes, rather than allow Arsenal's prospects to get them out of their system at our cost. Well here we are.....

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

That tackle on 13:43 - Mar 7 with 2019 viewssaffers12

That tackle on 13:36 - Mar 7 by Dubtractor

Exactly this.

Come on people, it was a silly, clumsy challenge, and it is a weakness in his game, but he is only 21, he's one of our own, and his game is coming on leaps and bounds this season.

Everyone complained about loanees taking our young players opportunities, but if we do want to play the academy products we have to allow them to make mistakes. The phrase often used on here, in relation to players like McGuiness, is that we'd rather develop our own players and iron out mistakes, rather than allow Arsenal's prospects to get them out of their system at our cost. Well here we are.....

It's the decision making that really worries me
That tackle on 13:49 - Mar 7 with 1992 viewsjayessess

That tackle on 13:43 - Mar 7 by saffers12

It's the decision making that really worries me

Decision-making is probably the main skill that footballers tend to gain with experience. Sure you get the occasional player who just knows from a very young age, but for most it comes with time.

That tackle on 14:01 - Mar 7 with 1945 viewsclive_baker

It was a lazy tackle but that needs to come with experience, he does need to buck his ideas up. Even before that Bennetts lost the ball pretty cheaply to O’Keefe and trotted back, didn’t put O’Keefe under any pressure whatsoever. If you compare him to Judge out of possession they’re absolutely chalk & cheese. He’s a gutless show pony, I don’t think he turned possession over once yesterday. Once Dozzell has given that freekick away we then defended the cross poorly. A goal that was avoidable but brought about due to individual errors.

The 2nd was a terrible ball from Sears initially, then Nsiala getting his positioning wrong in the middle.

3rd goal, Sears again with a dreadful pass, genuinely looked like a deliberate through ball to their player. Holy got him out of jail and then we panic and give them the ball back cheaply down the right.

They could’ve scored 5 if we’re truthful. It was an awful, limp, defensive display.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

That tackle on 14:05 - Mar 7 with 1920 viewscatch74

That tackle on 14:01 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

It was a lazy tackle but that needs to come with experience, he does need to buck his ideas up. Even before that Bennetts lost the ball pretty cheaply to O’Keefe and trotted back, didn’t put O’Keefe under any pressure whatsoever. If you compare him to Judge out of possession they’re absolutely chalk & cheese. He’s a gutless show pony, I don’t think he turned possession over once yesterday. Once Dozzell has given that freekick away we then defended the cross poorly. A goal that was avoidable but brought about due to individual errors.

The 2nd was a terrible ball from Sears initially, then Nsiala getting his positioning wrong in the middle.

3rd goal, Sears again with a dreadful pass, genuinely looked like a deliberate through ball to their player. Holy got him out of jail and then we panic and give them the ball back cheaply down the right.

They could’ve scored 5 if we’re truthful. It was an awful, limp, defensive display.

Despite not setting the world alight yet - that’s one thing Dobra does do, if he loses it he makes it his job to get it back. Another reason he should have been given a longer crack than he was.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024