Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adnams Old Ale 11:41 - Apr 6 with 1261 viewsKeno

Anyone tried this lately

[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 11:54]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Adnams Old Ale on 11:44 - Apr 6 with 1252 viewsStokieBlue

Had a case of it the other month. It's nice enough but I much prefer their Jack Brand offerings.

New England IPA is excellent.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Adnams Old Ale on 11:49 - Apr 6 with 1230 viewsunstableblue

Adnams Old Ale on 11:44 - Apr 6 by StokieBlue

Had a case of it the other month. It's nice enough but I much prefer their Jack Brand offerings.

New England IPA is excellent.

SB

Oooh I've not tried the New England IPA... been trying to got for sub 5%ers of late

I do love Mosaic and Dry Hopped Lager..... Ease Up still OK, but least favourite

I really do like Camden Pale Ale, its consistently good, i've yet to try their mash up with Adnams - Camden by Sea

The weaker Beavertown mash up was pretty good, but not amazing

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Adnams Old Ale on 12:01 - Apr 6 with 1208 viewsGuthrum

Not lately, but it is rather good.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Adnams Old Ale on 12:01 - Apr 6 with 1213 viewsSteve_M

Adnams Old Ale on 11:49 - Apr 6 by unstableblue

Oooh I've not tried the New England IPA... been trying to got for sub 5%ers of late

I do love Mosaic and Dry Hopped Lager..... Ease Up still OK, but least favourite

I really do like Camden Pale Ale, its consistently good, i've yet to try their mash up with Adnams - Camden by Sea

The weaker Beavertown mash up was pretty good, but not amazing

The Camden/Adnams one is good, better than the Beavertown one and a nice beer for sunny days.

I'm enjoying the Ped Phantom at the moment:

https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/shop-by-taste_1/ale/adnams-x-magic-rock-red-phanto

And on Keno's original question, the Old is good. A Winter beer though, so one for this week but hopefully not much beyond that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Adnams Old Ale on 12:03 - Apr 6 with 1198 viewsunstableblue

Adnams Old Ale on 12:01 - Apr 6 by Steve_M

The Camden/Adnams one is good, better than the Beavertown one and a nice beer for sunny days.

I'm enjoying the Ped Phantom at the moment:

https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/shop-by-taste_1/ale/adnams-x-magic-rock-red-phanto

And on Keno's original question, the Old is good. A Winter beer though, so one for this week but hopefully not much beyond that.

Thanks Steve - I’ll give the Camden hook up a go

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Adnams Old Ale on 12:05 - Apr 6 with 1195 viewsFtnfwest

keep meaning to try this. Been on the Kobold and Tally Ho over Easter (both silver wedding pressies from Lady F the week before).
Adnams Old Ale on 12:11 - Apr 6 with 1184 viewsTrumptonBlue

Beer doesn't get any better than Adnams Old, imho.
Adnams Old Ale on 12:11 - Apr 6 with 1184 viewsWeWereZombies

That sounds like something worth seeking out, hopefully it is not a fizzy drink like the American IPAs that always disappoint (and I say this as someone who is prepared to go for the zestiness of Mosaic so I am not a complete purist with a knee jerk reaction against anything out of the ordinary.)

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Login to get fewer ads

Adnams Old Ale on 12:26 - Apr 6 with 1163 viewsGuthrum

Adnams Old Ale on 12:11 - Apr 6 by WeWereZombies

That sounds like something worth seeking out, hopefully it is not a fizzy drink like the American IPAs that always disappoint (and I say this as someone who is prepared to go for the zestiness of Mosaic so I am not a complete purist with a knee jerk reaction against anything out of the ordinary.)

Unless they've changed the recipe, it is very far from that.

Tho, if I recall, that label used to be used for their Fisherman Brown Ale (I'm talking back in the '70s/early '80s).
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 12:28]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Adnams Old Ale on 15:08 - Apr 6 with 1062 viewsazuremerlangus

Yes - lovely stuff.

Mail order delivery mini-kegs are one of the most dangerous things known to man...

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Adnams Old Ale on 15:11 - Apr 6 with 1053 viewsazuremerlangus

Forgot to add - very similar to Tolly's Old Strong.

Adnams Old Ale on 16:44 - Apr 6 with 1011 viewsRonFearonsHair

Adnams Old Ale on 15:08 - Apr 6 by azuremerlangus

Yes - lovely stuff.

Mail order delivery mini-kegs are one of the most dangerous things known to man...

I usually get a mini-keg of Old over Christmas but noticed that they have finally started bottling it so got a case of those instead. I thought it might be nicer to enjoy it over a longer period of time rather than having to get through it all in 2/3 days. Truth be told I have been a bit disappointed in the bottled version. What I would really like to do is drink a pint of it in a pub!
Adnams Old Ale on 19:06 - Apr 6 with 970 viewsazuremerlangus

Adnams Old Ale on 16:44 - Apr 6 by RonFearonsHair

I usually get a mini-keg of Old over Christmas but noticed that they have finally started bottling it so got a case of those instead. I thought it might be nicer to enjoy it over a longer period of time rather than having to get through it all in 2/3 days. Truth be told I have been a bit disappointed in the bottled version. What I would really like to do is drink a pint of it in a pub!

Agree - definitely made for sharing rather than glugging before it goes off.

My favourite is the best bitter which in the keg is "live' rather than the pasteurised version in the bottles.

Adnams Old Ale on 19:12 - Apr 6 with 965 viewsKeno

Adnams Old Ale on 12:26 - Apr 6 by Guthrum

Unless they've changed the recipe, it is very far from that.

Tho, if I recall, that label used to be used for their Fisherman Brown Ale (I'm talking back in the '70s/early '80s).
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 12:28]

well remembered

Adnams Old Ale on 19:37 - Apr 6 with 953 viewsMeadowlark

They only started bottling it this winter. For ever up until now it has been hand-pump only from around November until Easter.
I personally think they changed the recipe a few years back, but I have no proof. The bottled versions are always a little different but this one tastes OK. I oftem mix it with the Southwold bitter if they have both on hand pumps and go for a pint of Mother-in-law.
(Old and bitter).
Adnams Old Ale on 20:02 - Apr 6 with 941 viewsKeno

Adnams Old Ale on 19:37 - Apr 6 by Meadowlark

They only started bottling it this winter. For ever up until now it has been hand-pump only from around November until Easter.
I personally think they changed the recipe a few years back, but I have no proof. The bottled versions are always a little different but this one tastes OK. I oftem mix it with the Southwold bitter if they have both on hand pumps and go for a pint of Mother-in-law.
(Old and bitter).

Mother-in-law.
(Old and bitter)

now that made me laugh!!

Adnams Old Ale on 20:36 - Apr 6 with 919 viewsstonojnr

Adnams Old Ale on 19:37 - Apr 6 by Meadowlark

(Old and bitter).

but do you ask for a pint of mother in law, or cheat and say half an old/half a bitter :)

technically the recipe changes every year because the malt and hops you get change in flavour, so you have to tweek it to stay consistent. That said a few years back (2016/17) it was very difficult to get a pint that tasted right, it tasted more like a standard mild, with very little of the normal taste and conditioning youd expect, but my suspicion was pubs werent getting the secondary fermentation right, either putting it on too soon, or leaving it far too long, but it had been fine again since then so just an odd year perhaps

the bottles have been pretty good so far imo, considering you have to brew the beer slightly differently to cope with the bottling, which can often lead to an abv change to get it right, but definitely missed not having it on cask the last year.
Adnams Old Ale on 22:18 - Apr 6 with 880 viewsRonFearonsHair

Adnams Old Ale on 20:36 - Apr 6 by stonojnr

but do you ask for a pint of mother in law, or cheat and say half an old/half a bitter :)

technically the recipe changes every year because the malt and hops you get change in flavour, so you have to tweek it to stay consistent. That said a few years back (2016/17) it was very difficult to get a pint that tasted right, it tasted more like a standard mild, with very little of the normal taste and conditioning youd expect, but my suspicion was pubs werent getting the secondary fermentation right, either putting it on too soon, or leaving it far too long, but it had been fine again since then so just an odd year perhaps

the bottles have been pretty good so far imo, considering you have to brew the beer slightly differently to cope with the bottling, which can often lead to an abv change to get it right, but definitely missed not having it on cask the last year.

Bottled and cask Broadside have vastly different ABVs (6.3% v 4.7%) but I have always found both to be spot-on. Bottled is great for supping at home and the lower percentage on the cask makes it better for drinking socially. A nice little article on the website about it too.

https://www.adnams.co.uk/articles/adnams-broadside-cask-and-bottle-whats-the-dif
Adnams Old Ale on 07:17 - Apr 7 with 803 viewsMeadowlark

Adnams Old Ale on 20:36 - Apr 6 by stonojnr

In my local they know what Mother in law is. It is (was?) a well known Adams pub drink, but I'm not sure how widely remembered it is these days.
I'd test the theory myself, but unfortunately Old will probably be finished when the pubs reopen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024