Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garden design 15:10 - Apr 25 with 1798 viewsVic

Moved house a few months ago and garden is a blank sheet - it’s about 25m by 20m and is currently laid pretty much to lawn over two levels.

How much should I budget for a proper garden designer to set something on paper out for me and advise on plants? (I don’t need them to buy or plant, just to provide a design)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Garden design on 15:38 - Apr 25 with 1753 viewsWeekender

I’ve just had a designer do this for £700. Similar garden size. Let them get the plants as trade prices from a nursery are better that you’ll get at a garden centre

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Garden design on 16:09 - Apr 25 with 1683 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden design on 15:38 - Apr 25 by Weekender

I’ve just had a designer do this for £700. Similar garden size. Let them get the plants as trade prices from a nursery are better that you’ll get at a garden centre

Did that include the plants?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Garden design on 16:20 - Apr 25 with 1664 viewsjeera

Table
Some chairs
BBQ
Bunker for storing fridge.

You are more than welcome.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Garden design on 16:39 - Apr 25 with 1627 viewsDeano69

Just about to get 80sqr metres of levelling and new lawn, 35sqr metres of porcelain paving and 20sqtr metres of composite decking. Basically £10k. Yes more than than I thought it’s should be too, but we have tried for 18 months to sort it and contacted 12+ companies/contacts, only had 3 bother quoting and all around the same price.

Still looking to get a brick shed converted to a bar with a sort of garden room attached. Still waiting for quotes.

Edit. Apologies, just seen it was a garden designer being sought. Would also be interested.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 17:23]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Garden design on 16:42 - Apr 25 with 1610 viewsJ2BLUE

I'll do it for £50 and a set of crayons. I'll need the crayons in advance though...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Garden design on 18:05 - Apr 25 with 1510 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.google.com/search?q=Garden+Rescue+design+plans&safe=active&r

There you are, just saved you a few hundred quid. Or more.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Garden design on 18:14 - Apr 25 with 1492 viewswkj

My partner is a landscape designer, admittedly she's more use to doing it for American clients. When I see her later I will ask her what she thinks

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Garden design on 18:42 - Apr 25 with 1444 viewsNthQldITFC

Four big vegetable patches for rotation, a decent-sized greenhouse/polytunnel, fruit trees, and a big wildlife pond adjoining a marshy area then a mini wildflower meadow hopefully adjoining some wild land outside of your garden, via a native hedge (without gravel boards!). You'll thank me for this suggestion in a decade or so.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 18:44]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Garden design on 19:06 - Apr 25 with 1392 viewsMeadowlark

Garden design on 18:42 - Apr 25 by NthQldITFC

Four big vegetable patches for rotation, a decent-sized greenhouse/polytunnel, fruit trees, and a big wildlife pond adjoining a marshy area then a mini wildflower meadow hopefully adjoining some wild land outside of your garden, via a native hedge (without gravel boards!). You'll thank me for this suggestion in a decade or so.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 18:44]

Sounds wonderful to me!
Garden design on 19:08 - Apr 25 with 1387 viewsWeekender

Garden design on 16:09 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Did that include the plants?

No. Plants are £2500 but that of course depends on the design and maturity of there plants

[Redacted] on 19:18 - Apr 25 with 1373 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Garden design on 19:19 - Apr 25 with 1374 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden design on 19:08 - Apr 25 by Weekender

No. Plants are £2500 but that of course depends on the design and maturity of there plants

Miss Slave's immediate reaction to this is...
"Jeeze people just take the p1ss!"....did your designer have a gold medal from Chelsea?

Edit...did they come up with several designs?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 19:21]

Garden design on 19:38 - Apr 25 with 1348 viewsWeekender

Garden design on 19:19 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Miss Slave's immediate reaction to this is...
"Jeeze people just take the p1ss!"....did your designer have a gold medal from Chelsea?

Edit...did they come up with several designs?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 19:21]

Is miss slave in the industry? £2500 doesn’t go far if you’re buying trees/ reasonable size shrubs.

Garden design on 20:13 - Apr 25 with 1318 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden design on 19:38 - Apr 25 by Weekender

Is miss slave in the industry? £2500 doesn’t go far if you’re buying trees/ reasonable size shrubs.

She was referring to the design part but no offence intended.

Edit...she is very knowledgeable on plants and has done some design work on RHS qualifications but is more a jobbing hourly rate gardener. She would struggle to justify charging the sort of money you mentioned if it is just for design ideas but strangely it is one of those areas where if you don't charge enough people can get suspicious!

There is a landscape company over this way who charge double what they should but get the business because they have an 'impress the neighbours' appeal!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 20:19]

Garden design on 21:03 - Apr 25 with 1256 viewsVic

Garden design on 18:14 - Apr 25 by wkj

My partner is a landscape designer, admittedly she's more use to doing it for American clients. When I see her later I will ask her what she thinks

Cheers

Garden design on 21:13 - Apr 25 with 1236 viewsVic

[Redacted] on 19:18 - Apr 25 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I love doing that and did my last garden that way. Loads of compliments on it when we sold. This one is a bit different - it’s an odd shaped, very poor drainage (6 inch of top soil over heavy, non draining clay). I’ve looking at the sun, checked out the best plants for the conditions plants. So all I really need is someone to suggest the layout - being two level I’m wondering sleepers, wall, rockery? And how much and what shape patio? Etc, etc.

Garden design on 21:36 - Apr 25 with 1204 viewsWeekender

Garden design on 20:13 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

She was referring to the design part but no offence intended.

Edit...she is very knowledgeable on plants and has done some design work on RHS qualifications but is more a jobbing hourly rate gardener. She would struggle to justify charging the sort of money you mentioned if it is just for design ideas but strangely it is one of those areas where if you don't charge enough people can get suspicious!

There is a landscape company over this way who charge double what they should but get the business because they have an 'impress the neighbours' appeal!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 20:19]

No offence taken!

Suppose the value depends on perspective, I need design help as I know nothing about plants/planting.

I’m getting the design, planting list, plant sourcing and various assistance. The designer is doing a number of visits and will it probably work out at around £50 an hour which is fair value for what I need.

Garden design on 22:34 - Apr 25 with 1159 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden design on 21:36 - Apr 25 by Weekender

No offence taken!

Suppose the value depends on perspective, I need design help as I know nothing about plants/planting.

I’m getting the design, planting list, plant sourcing and various assistance. The designer is doing a number of visits and will it probably work out at around £50 an hour which is fair value for what I need.

You should hire out a little old lady for the day and get Miss Slave over....chances are she won't even charge for the plants!!

Garden design on 07:35 - Apr 26 with 1054 viewsVic

Garden design on 15:38 - Apr 25 by Weekender

Are you anywhere near Ipswich? If so could you PM me the person who did this for you. Cheers

Garden design on 08:44 - Apr 26 with 1005 viewsWeekender

Garden design on 07:35 - Apr 26 by Vic

Are you anywhere near Ipswich? If so could you PM me the person who did this for you. Cheers

Sorry, I’m in surrey.

Garden design on 09:39 - Apr 26 with 964 viewsElephantintheRoom

Do it yourself - having taken the time to see where the sun goes, what the soil is like, what wildlife possibilities are and where you might want any garden buildings - and what the neighbours are like. Most garden designers started out like you - and probably know less about your garden than you do already.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024