Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train commuters from / to Ipswich 11:37 - Dec 2 with 1672 viewsLord_Lucan

Are there 1st class sections on the trains at the moment or are they all those Stansted Express type trains?

On the odd occasion I use a train at the moment they all seem to be the Stansted type which I believe are standard class only.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:38 - Dec 2 with 1665 viewsChiefXL

The new trains have first class, only a smaller area than previous carriages.
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:40 - Dec 2 with 1646 viewsLord_Lucan

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:38 - Dec 2 by ChiefXL

The new trains have first class, only a smaller area than previous carriages.

Mmmm, thanks.

But would I be correct in thinking there isn't much difference between first and standard now - apart from a greater chance of not having a tvvat sitting next to you?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:41 - Dec 2 with 1638 viewshype313

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:40 - Dec 2 by Lord_Lucan

Mmmm, thanks.

But would I be correct in thinking there isn't much difference between first and standard now - apart from a greater chance of not having a tvvat sitting next to you?

From what I have experienced, there is hardly any difference between the two.

And you probably get more tvvats sitting in first class...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:44 - Dec 2 with 1620 viewsSomethingBlue

Not much difference between the two classes even when they can be bothered to run a proper train, in my (far from daily) experience. The new trains are a considerable step down in comfort, which should be no surprise at all.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:45 - Dec 2 with 1621 viewsSteve_M

Mmmm, thanks.

Slightly bigger seats, fewer people.

The main difference on the new trains is that it's a bloody long walk to the buffet car, but at least it was open after the last two matches.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:47 - Dec 2 with 1582 viewsChiefXL

Mmmm, thanks.

You would, I travelled in first a few weeks ago and TBH I wasn't sure whether I was in first or standard. I had to ask the conductor
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:48 - Dec 2 with 1573 viewsChiefXL

Mmmm, thanks.

That said if I'm in first then you have a very good chance of having a tvvat sitting next to you
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:49 - Dec 2 with 1568 viewsbelgablue

I do the manningtree leg weekly at the moment. Seems even on the new trains sometimes there is 1st class, sometime not - depends on which service I think.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Login to get fewer ads

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 12:36 - Dec 2 with 1472 viewsLord_Lucan

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:44 - Dec 2 by SomethingBlue

Not much difference between the two classes even when they can be bothered to run a proper train, in my (far from daily) experience. The new trains are a considerable step down in comfort, which should be no surprise at all.

I agree, on the odd occasion I have had to travel from Norwich to Ipswich the trains are really designed for short journeys as they are uncomfortable and you are generally sitting bulk upright. It's just about ok for that journey but after Charlton game I am travelling London - Norwich early morning and I have visions of sitting next to a fat bloke eating a McDonalds with tinned music coming out of his ears.

I used to really enjoy a good train journey but now it's a hassle.

I seem to remember at some point they used Covid as an excuse for running these trains.

Footnote - 1st is only marginally dearer than standard so I'll give it a go and hope I sit near Chiefy.

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 12:59 - Dec 2 with 1420 viewsFattyBoomBoom

The intercity sets running Norwich to London have a 1st class. It's in the same position as the previous trains located at the London end, as is the buffet.

Mon-Friday you get free hot drinks/water plus biscuits and pretzels. Weekends you are entitled to nothing other than the seat.

The Ipswich starting trains to London (generally at 52 minutes past the hour) have no first class or buffet. They're new trains mostly but if you encounter an old train then any 1st class compartmemts at the ends of the trains are now permanently declassified, so feel free to enjoy the incredible luxury of a bigger seat and maybe a table!

As mentioned, they are using a few Stansted sets on the Norwich to London route also. No buffet car or tables but a trolley person with a modest selection of food and drinks will pass through if you're lucky.

If you've bought a first class ticket but get a Stansted set then you can claim a refund for the difference. Hope this helps.
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 13:00 - Dec 2 with 1403 viewsMaySixth

Got first class to the Crewe game from London - £2 extra

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 13:06 - Dec 2 with 1392 viewsEastTownBlue

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 12:59 - Dec 2 by FattyBoomBoom

The intercity sets running Norwich to London have a 1st class. It's in the same position as the previous trains located at the London end, as is the buffet.

Mon-Friday you get free hot drinks/water plus biscuits and pretzels. Weekends you are entitled to nothing other than the seat.

The Ipswich starting trains to London (generally at 52 minutes past the hour) have no first class or buffet. They're new trains mostly but if you encounter an old train then any 1st class compartmemts at the ends of the trains are now permanently declassified, so feel free to enjoy the incredible luxury of a bigger seat and maybe a table!

As mentioned, they are using a few Stansted sets on the Norwich to London route also. No buffet car or tables but a trolley person with a modest selection of food and drinks will pass through if you're lucky.

If you've bought a first class ticket but get a Stansted set then you can claim a refund for the difference. Hope this helps.

GA have services which are scheduled not to have first class. Not sure how guaranteed it is though.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/first-class-0
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 13:40 - Dec 2 with 1324 viewsLord_Lucan

So - out of London the 00 and 30 times might be ok?

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 13:46 - Dec 2 with 1305 viewstivo

I think the new standard class is great especially on the 12coach trains.

Always tables available, WIFI actually works, sockets/USB's plentiful.
[Redacted] on 13:58 - Dec 2 with 1261 viewsvictorywilhappen

Mmmm, thanks.

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 14:03 - Dec 2 with 1223 viewsvictorywilhappen

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 11:45 - Dec 2 by Steve_M

Slightly bigger seats, fewer people.

The main difference on the new trains is that it's a bloody long walk to the buffet car, but at least it was open after the last two matches.

[Redacted]
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 14:09 - Dec 2 with 1192 viewsbelgablue

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 13:40 - Dec 2 by Lord_Lucan

I think you need to check the greater anglia website - if there’s 1st you’ll be able to book it. I know the 20:30 doesn’t have 1st class and that goes to Norwich.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 14:37 - Dec 2 with 1148 viewsGeoffSentence

I had to fight pretty hard to get a refund for the difference between first and standard class when I bought a first class ticket and ended up travelling on a bus replacement service. They do not always make it easy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 14:47 - Dec 2 with 1128 viewsFreddies_Ears

Not guaranteed, it seems a bit random. About 75% have First Class and IMHO it is worth a fiver extra to avoid Essex girls out shopping.
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 16:49 - Dec 2 with 1037 viewsChiefXL

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 12:36 - Dec 2 by Lord_Lucan

I agree, on the odd occasion I have had to travel from Norwich to Ipswich the trains are really designed for short journeys as they are uncomfortable and you are generally sitting bulk upright. It's just about ok for that journey but after Charlton game I am travelling London - Norwich early morning and I have visions of sitting next to a fat bloke eating a McDonalds with tinned music coming out of his ears.

I used to really enjoy a good train journey but now it's a hassle.

I seem to remember at some point they used Covid as an excuse for running these trains.

Footnote - 1st is only marginally dearer than standard so I'll give it a go and hope I sit near Chiefy.

So you will be sitting next to a fat bloke eating a McDonalds...
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 18:08 - Dec 2 with 956 viewsFattyBoomBoom

Yes, the 00 and 30 are Lst-Nrw trains so will be mostly Intercity (1st and buffet) sets or if you are unlucky, the Stansted sets (no 1st, tables, buffet). Checking the app will show if there's catering/1st class available. If not, it's a crappy Stansted set.

The 02 out of Lst terminates at Ipswich.
Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 23:12 - Dec 2 with 847 viewsFreddies_Ears

Train commuters from / to Ipswich on 18:08 - Dec 2 by FattyBoomBoom

Yes, the 00 and 30 are Lst-Nrw trains so will be mostly Intercity (1st and buffet) sets or if you are unlucky, the Stansted sets (no 1st, tables, buffet). Checking the app will show if there's catering/1st class available. If not, it's a crappy Stansted set.

The 02 out of Lst terminates at Ipswich.

The website isn't reliable. I have paid online for first class several times train-specific tickets, but had to travel on a standard-class-only train.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024