Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Victory for common sense 08:11 - Dec 22 with 1519 viewsBlueandTruesince82

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-59727118

Thank goodness

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Victory for common sense on 09:21 - Dec 22 with 1382 viewsMattinLondon

What did his tweet say?
Victory for common sense on 09:44 - Dec 22 with 1329 viewsBlueBadger

Victory for common sense on 09:21 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

What did his tweet say?

'It doesn't count as bigotry if it's trans people on the receiving end'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Victory for common sense on 09:47 - Dec 22 with 1323 viewsStokieBlue

Victory for common sense on 09:21 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

What did his tweet say?

In one tweet Mr Miller wrote: "I was assigned mammal at birth, but my orientation is fish. Don't mis-species me."

Pathetic stuff really, why even say it?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Victory for common sense on 09:50 - Dec 22 with 1293 viewslowhouseblue

Victory for common sense on 09:47 - Dec 22 by StokieBlue

In one tweet Mr Miller wrote: "I was assigned mammal at birth, but my orientation is fish. Don't mis-species me."

SB

quite. but registering that as a hate crime is an oppressive use of the law.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Victory for common sense on 09:50 - Dec 22 with 1291 viewsMattinLondon

Victory for common sense on 09:44 - Dec 22 by BlueBadger

'It doesn't count as bigotry if it's trans people on the receiving end'?

I’m guessing that he has very real concerns about stuff.
Victory for common sense on 09:51 - Dec 22 with 1277 viewslowhouseblue

Victory for common sense on 09:50 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

I’m guessing that he has very real concerns about stuff.

yes i'm guessing freedom of speech and article 10.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Victory for common sense on 09:54 - Dec 22 with 1253 viewsMattinLondon

Victory for common sense on 09:47 - Dec 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed. But instead of labelling it as a hate crime, Twitter should simply label his account with the header ‘this guy is a bit of a knob’.

On a side note I do find it quite amazing that (in the main) people who tweet things like this feel like their free speech is being hindered - when, during the past couple of years, all they do is attack everything from National Heritage to Gary Lineker.
Victory for common sense on 09:55 - Dec 22 with 1230 viewsMattinLondon

Victory for common sense on 09:51 - Dec 22 by lowhouseblue

And probably a lot lot more.
Login to get fewer ads

Victory for common sense on 09:56 - Dec 22 with 1217 viewsStokieBlue

Victory for common sense on 09:54 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

Indeed. But instead of labelling it as a hate crime, Twitter should simply label his account with the header ‘this guy is a bit of a knob’.

On a side note I do find it quite amazing that (in the main) people who tweet things like this feel like their free speech is being hindered - when, during the past couple of years, all they do is attack everything from National Heritage to Gary Lineker.

I've made no judgement on the verdict, you just asked what he said.

SB

Victory for common sense on 09:56 - Dec 22 with 1219 viewsBlueBadger

See also: 'cancel culture'. It's never, for example, books about why it's OK to be gay that get onto the banned list at schools, is it?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Victory for common sense on 09:59 - Dec 22 with 1197 viewslowhouseblue

even complete knobs are entitled to express an opinion within the law, and you're entitled to call them a complete knob. surely we can agree that policemen knocking on someone's door because of a legal view expressed in a tweet, the complete knob's view or a view on the complete knob, is a very bad thing.

Victory for common sense on 09:59 - Dec 22 with 1200 viewsBlueBadger

Victory for common sense on 10:01 - Dec 22 with 1184 viewsBlueBadger

Victory for common sense on 09:59 - Dec 22 by lowhouseblue

even complete knobs are entitled to express an opinion within the law, and you're entitled to call them a complete knob. surely we can agree that policemen knocking on someone's door because of a legal view expressed in a tweet, the complete knob's view or a view on the complete knob, is a very bad thing.

Perhaps the compromise here is to form a 'knob squad' within the police, wherein they knock on your door, call you a knob and then leave?

Victory for common sense on 10:02 - Dec 22 with 1166 viewsStokieBlue

Victory for common sense on 10:01 - Dec 22 by BlueBadger

Perhaps the compromise here is to form a 'knob squad' within the police, wherein they knock on your door, call you a knob and then leave?

Not sure the GDP of the nation could support the manpower required.

SB

Victory for common sense on 10:03 - Dec 22 with 1156 viewslowhouseblue

Victory for common sense on 10:01 - Dec 22 by BlueBadger

twtd alone would exhaust them.

Victory for common sense on 10:16 - Dec 22 with 1111 viewsEwan_Oozami

Victory for common sense on 10:02 - Dec 22 by StokieBlue

Not sure the GDP of the nation could support the manpower required.

SB

I'm sure there'll be plenty of volunteers who can assist......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Victory for common sense on 10:39 - Dec 22 with 1037 viewsGuthrum

Victory for common sense on 09:51 - Dec 22 by lowhouseblue

Was that why he posted it, or was the intention to ridicule transgender people?

I'm not in favour of officially recording things which aren't crimes only on the basis of a complaint that offence had been taken. That lacks due process and is open to abuse. It's not the same as specifically directed harassment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Victory for common sense on 10:46 - Dec 22 with 1011 viewslowhouseblue

Victory for common sense on 10:39 - Dec 22 by Guthrum

Was that why he posted it, or was the intention to ridicule transgender people?

I'm not in favour of officially recording things which aren't crimes only on the basis of a complaint that offence had been taken. That lacks due process and is open to abuse. It's not the same as specifically directed harassment.

his claim is that he was expressing an opinion on the essential nature of biological sex.

Victory for common sense on 11:01 - Dec 22 with 983 viewsGuthrum

Victory for common sense on 10:46 - Dec 22 by lowhouseblue

his claim is that he was expressing an opinion on the essential nature of biological sex.

That wasn't how he phrased it, if the quoted Tweet is anything to go by. But it doesn't fall within the realms of anything which should be officially sanctioned.

Sure, from the trans person's perspective, it's an expressed denial of their very right to exist, framed as ridicule by making an insultingly far-fetched simile. Can't be surprised if they get upset. But, on the other hand, the language is mild and I have not seen that it was personally directed.

Victory for common sense on 11:08 - Dec 22 with 948 viewslowhouseblue

Victory for common sense on 11:01 - Dec 22 by Guthrum

That wasn't how he phrased it, if the quoted Tweet is anything to go by. But it doesn't fall within the realms of anything which should be officially sanctioned.

Sure, from the trans person's perspective, it's an expressed denial of their very right to exist, framed as ridicule by making an insultingly far-fetched simile. Can't be surprised if they get upset. But, on the other hand, the language is mild and I have not seen that it was personally directed.

don't know if the quoted tweet has anything to do with the legal case.

but even that tweet isn't "an expressed denial of their very right to exist". that's just silly and a bit hysterical. it's a satirical question about whether biological categories are objective or subjective. a valid question. there's nothing in that tweet to suggest that the tweeter thinks people can't adopt any gender identity they choose.

Victory for common sense on 11:12 - Dec 22 with 925 viewsGuthrum

Victory for common sense on 11:08 - Dec 22 by lowhouseblue

don't know if the quoted tweet has anything to do with the legal case.

but even that tweet isn't "an expressed denial of their very right to exist". that's just silly and a bit hysterical. it's a satirical question about whether biological categories are objective or subjective. a valid question. there's nothing in that tweet to suggest that the tweeter thinks people can't adopt any gender identity they choose.

I think you're underestimating the fierce heat of the trans debate. Moderation has departed from it a long time ago.

Victory for common sense on 12:58 - Dec 22 with 809 viewsBlueBadger

Victory for common sense on 11:12 - Dec 22 by Guthrum

I think you're underestimating the fierce heat of the trans debate. Moderation has departed from it a long time ago.

I've essentially adopted the position of 'I don't really understand a lot of it, but that's not justification for being a cock about it'.

Victory for common sense on 13:24 - Dec 22 with 768 viewsDarth_Koont

In a current legal sense, yes. But morally, I think he’s in the wrong.

The trans community has spent decades fighting for their rights yet are still one of the most vulnerable minorities and this sort of trolling is awful.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024