Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant 12:44 - May 29 with 2862 viewsSTYG

Chesterfield ahead at Solihull with the winners facing Grimsby in the playoff final.

Who you got? Must pick one. Got to be Cook surely. Not even he was as disastrous as Wurst.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 12:46 - May 29 with 2202 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook but Hurst has done a decent job there recently.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 12:48 - May 29 with 2188 viewsfredbarber

1-1 now.

Good game so far.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:28 - May 29 with 2051 viewspointofblue

Hurst to win for me. Hopefully it won’t even be a thing and Solihull will knock Chesterfield out here.

Hurst was placed in a situation where he was out of his depth, was provided no support and ended up with the weakest squad in the league as we couldn’t/wouldn’t pay out on worthwhile replacements for those who left.

Cook, with far more experience and know how, decided to rip everything up, not hire any experienced coaches and messed up tactically over and over again despite being backed heavily in the transfer market.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:37 - May 29 with 2024 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:28 - May 29 by pointofblue

Hurst to win for me. Hopefully it won’t even be a thing and Solihull will knock Chesterfield out here.

Hurst was placed in a situation where he was out of his depth, was provided no support and ended up with the weakest squad in the league as we couldn’t/wouldn’t pay out on worthwhile replacements for those who left.

Cook, with far more experience and know how, decided to rip everything up, not hire any experienced coaches and messed up tactically over and over again despite being backed heavily in the transfer market.

revisionism
/rɪˈvɪʒ(ə)nɪz(ə)m/
noun [OFTEN DEROGATORY]
noun: revisionism

pointofblue's post re. Paul Hurst on TWTD, May 29th 2022
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:38 - May 29 with 2011 viewspointofblue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:37 - May 29 by marchy

revisionism
/rɪˈvɪʒ(ə)nɪz(ə)m/
noun [OFTEN DEROGATORY]
noun: revisionism

pointofblue's post re. Paul Hurst on TWTD, May 29th 2022

Maybe. I think Cook started off on a much stronger footing than Hurst did though, especially for the full season, and made a complete mess of it.

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:39 - May 29 with 2006 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:38 - May 29 by pointofblue

Maybe. I think Cook started off on a much stronger footing than Hurst did though, especially for the full season, and made a complete mess of it.

Oh he definitely made a complete mess of it, but Hurst's situation was all his own work. Goodness knows what Mick would have been able to do with access to the fees we were chucking around for the donkeys he chose.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:42 - May 29 with 1995 viewspointofblue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:39 - May 29 by marchy

Oh he definitely made a complete mess of it, but Hurst's situation was all his own work. Goodness knows what Mick would have been able to do with access to the fees we were chucking around for the donkeys he chose.

Though from memory we only had the fees because we sold Webster, Waghorn and Garner. I wonder if they would have stayed had Mick still been in charge?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:44 - May 29 with 1981 viewsIllinoisblue

You jinxed it. 2-1

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:49 - May 29 with 1959 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:42 - May 29 by pointofblue

Though from memory we only had the fees because we sold Webster, Waghorn and Garner. I wonder if they would have stayed had Mick still been in charge?

Waghorn seemed happy enough to stick around at first ( https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/martyn-waghorn-excited-to-begin-paul-hurst-era-at-i and there were always going to be offers for Webster - it seemed like either life under Hurst became immediately unpalatable, and/or he just sold off whatever he could to pursue his plan of packing as much of Championship squad as he could full of lower-league players...
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:49 - May 29 with 1953 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:44 - May 29 by Illinoisblue

You jinxed it. 2-1

You jinxed it more. 3-1
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:54 - May 29 with 1930 viewsITFC_Forever

Hurst and Deputy Doig were too arrogant and full of themselves, and from what I heard at the time, I would go as far as to call them a word Phil didn’t like much at the time…. It begins with ‘b’ and the dictionary definition is “a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable.”

Hurst was clearly told there wasn’t much of a transfer budget, but he would get a percentage of whatever could be raised through player sales…. Hence why Webster left almost straight away, then Waghorn soon after.
Garner saw how life was going to be and scarpered sharpish as well.

The likes of Skuse and Chambers get some stick on here, but when Hurst’s tenure quickly unravelled, they were the ones who held the club together.

As for worst ever Town managers, we’ve had a non-stop stream of them since ME took over.
Keane, Jewell, Mick (in the last two seasons), Hurst, Lambert and then Cook.
All ME appointments, all a disaster other than the first half of Mick’s tenure…… but the common link is ME, he used Mick as a human shield and didn’t support any of them once Keane (Clegg) blew the budget we did have.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:04 - May 29 with 1830 viewsParisBlue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:54 - May 29 by ITFC_Forever

Hurst and Deputy Doig were too arrogant and full of themselves, and from what I heard at the time, I would go as far as to call them a word Phil didn’t like much at the time…. It begins with ‘b’ and the dictionary definition is “a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable.”

Hurst was clearly told there wasn’t much of a transfer budget, but he would get a percentage of whatever could be raised through player sales…. Hence why Webster left almost straight away, then Waghorn soon after.

The likes of Skuse and Chambers get some stick on here, but when Hurst’s tenure quickly unravelled, they were the ones who held the club together.

As for worst ever Town managers, we’ve had a non-stop stream of them since ME took over.
All ME appointments, all a disaster other than the first half of Mick’s tenure…… but the common link is ME, he used Mick as a human shield and didn’t support any of them once Keane (Clegg) blew the budget we did have.

Cook taking over in March when we were 6th, failing to get anywhere near the play-offs, 5 consecutive games with no goals scored, becoming 'demolition' man then gaining 3 points from first 6 games tops it for me.

Should have left Matt Gill in charge.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:06 - May 29 with 1825 viewsJDB23

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:54 - May 29 by ITFC_Forever

We capitulated to relegation and then instantly became a mid table league 1 side and have remained that, something no club our size has done without serious financial issues. If that’s holding the club together I’d hate to have seen us unravel! Not a dig at either of them but it couldn’t have gone much worse since that point tbh.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:06 - May 29 with 1828 viewsElderGrizzly

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:49 - May 29 by marchy

You jinxed it more. 3-1

Cook has done well to take Chesterfield from seeming certain promotion to just scraping the playoffs

Probably the end for him now you’d imagine
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:27 - May 29 with 1718 viewsSTYG

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:44 - May 29 by Illinoisblue

You jinxed it. 2-1

Or did I ;)
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:33 - May 29 with 1681 viewsPrideOfTheEast

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 13:49 - May 29 by marchy

Waghorn seemed happy enough to stick around at first ( https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/martyn-waghorn-excited-to-begin-paul-hurst-era-at-i and there were always going to be offers for Webster - it seemed like either life under Hurst became immediately unpalatable, and/or he just sold off whatever he could to pursue his plan of packing as much of Championship squad as he could full of lower-league players...

After day 1 of training with him and Doig, Waghorn and several others wanted out. Quite literally, day 1 and probably hour 1 too. Doig was more of the issue than PH.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:33 - May 29 with 1679 viewswkj

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:06 - May 29 by ElderGrizzly

Cook has done well to take Chesterfield from seeming certain promotion to just scraping the playoffs

I snooped on one of their forum a few weeks ago - despite that slump they seem surprisingly behind cook, but against the players he inherited... sound familiar?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:40 - May 29 with 1634 viewsibbleobble

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:06 - May 29 by ElderGrizzly

On radio Sheffield they just mentioned Barnsley are in for Cook so that imagination is probably a little wild.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:41 - May 29 with 1628 viewspointofblue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:33 - May 29 by wkj

I snooped on one of their forum a few weeks ago - despite that slump they seem surprisingly behind cook, but against the players he inherited... sound familiar?

Those players that the previous manager had one point off top with a game in hand when he left, picked up four points under the interim manager (including a draw at eventual champions Stockport) and had only lost three matches prior to Cook arriving but were defeated on nine occasions after he took over?

Those players are the problem?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:41 - May 29 with 1622 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:40 - May 29 by ibbleobble

On radio Sheffield they just mentioned Barnsley are in for Cook so that imagination is probably a little wild.

Reckon that might have been before they noticed him get outclassed by Solihull Moors in his biggest match of the season?
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:42 - May 29 with 1616 viewsmarchy

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:41 - May 29 by pointofblue

Those players that the previous manager had one point off top with a game in hand when he left, picked up four points under the interim manager (including a draw at eventual champions Stockport) and had only lost three matches prior to Cook arriving but were defeated on nine occasions after he took over?

Those players are the problem?

Nah, it's the journalists asking "negative questions" that are the problem.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:43 - May 29 with 1607 viewspointofblue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:40 - May 29 by ibbleobble

They’re looking for a kit man?

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 15:42 - May 29 with 1440 viewsibbleobble

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 14:41 - May 29 by marchy

Reckon that might have been before they noticed him get outclassed by Solihull Moors in his biggest match of the season?

Who knows? Interesting they’d opt for a failing Paul Cook rather than bringing Big Mick home to roost.
It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 16:09 - May 29 with 1350 viewspointofblue

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 15:42 - May 29 by ibbleobble

Who knows? Interesting they’d opt for a failing Paul Cook rather than bringing Big Mick home to roost.

Please no, the atmosphere would be worse for Mick’s return here than if Cook or Hurst make a comeback with another side. And he doesn’t deserve that.

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 16:20 - May 29 with 1307 viewsibbleobble

It’s looking like Hurst v Cook in the battle to stay vaguely relevant on 16:09 - May 29 by pointofblue

Please no, the atmosphere would be worse for Mick’s return here than if Cook or Hurst make a comeback with another side. And he doesn’t deserve that.

I meant Barnsley. Mick’s a Barnsley local and ex-player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024