Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League one is no more of a tough league 12:39 - Aug 1 with 1927 viewsCopfordBlue

than league two is a “tough league” or the national league south is a “tough league”. All competitive football is tough. If league one is that hard then there’s no point in getting promoted because the championship will be a far tougher league with better players, better teams, better managers, more resources etc etc

We have an excellent manager, our new owners couldn’t be more supportive and there is clearly a lot of quality in our squad. There are a handful of decent teams in our league, no more than that. For a club with our financial backing and fanbase, top two has to be the aim, a genuine title challenge is a reasonable target and after the first few games we should be no lower than the play off places. If this is unrealistic then why is it?

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:44 - Aug 1 with 1876 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Erm, pretty sure the target is promotion.

No one is suggesting it isn't, just that its not a given.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:44 - Aug 1 with 1870 viewsFrimleyBlue

My main concern is that we seem to bring up players with an aim of hoping they work out in a position rather than actually buying those who have done the actual position.

I know it's great thing if a manger signs a player and turns him into something. But it would be nice to see us bring in a player and play them in the role they actually are used to playing. Main reason Pigott didn't work for us.. we never used him in the way he was used before. Pompy take him on and he's already playing like the pre town version.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:45 - Aug 1 with 1856 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:44 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

My main concern is that we seem to bring up players with an aim of hoping they work out in a position rather than actually buying those who have done the actual position.

I know it's great thing if a manger signs a player and turns him into something. But it would be nice to see us bring in a player and play them in the role they actually are used to playing. Main reason Pigott didn't work for us.. we never used him in the way he was used before. Pompy take him on and he's already playing like the pre town version.

Pretty much all of the acquisitions are made for specific positions. Looks at the first XI, with the exception of maybe Chaplin, they were all playing in their preferred positions.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:47 - Aug 1 with 1827 viewsMediocre_Quick

Didn't realise financial clout and fanbases are what got you promoted...
League one is no more of a tough league on 12:49 - Aug 1 with 1799 viewsFrimleyBlue

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:45 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Pretty much all of the acquisitions are made for specific positions. Looks at the first XI, with the exception of maybe Chaplin, they were all playing in their preferred positions.

Well not really

Morsy has never been a box to box goal scoring midfielder
Harness was either uptop or used on the right
Evans actually ventured further forwards for Wigan rather than being a deep cm
Jadapo in most fixtures had a partner
Chaplin as said himself preferred being upto

So no not just Chaplin. Imo

Waka waka eh eh

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:50 - Aug 1 with 1803 viewsdirtyboy

But we don't play the same way as a Cowley team (nor would I want us to)

The one big thing I learnt last season (and so did 20k others) is that football IS entertainment and playing good attractive football IS important.

I hated Arsenal under Graham but Wenger....they became my second favourite team (moved on from Newcastle and Keegan) because they were just great to watch.

We are great to watch, any neutral would have liked watching us on the basis of that second half display Saturday too.

The fact that results aren't top 2 but attendances have gone up are as a result of that (and also expectation).

Piggott doesn't suit our system, every man and his dog knows that and it's not his fault.

Manager should not change coaching and philosophy to suit as that goes against their very fabric (I'm a coach and wouln't change mine either).

Give it 6 game and see what's starting to transpire, see what other clubs are doing and take another look then.

One game or three games tells you the square root of **** all
League one is no more of a tough league on 12:53 - Aug 1 with 1792 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:49 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

Well not really

Morsy has never been a box to box goal scoring midfielder
Harness was either uptop or used on the right
Evans actually ventured further forwards for Wigan rather than being a deep cm
Jadapo in most fixtures had a partner
Chaplin as said himself preferred being upto

So no not just Chaplin. Imo

Disagree with that.

Evans and Morsy are both CM's and are playing in those roles.

Harness has played in supporting roles.

They are being asked to utilise their attributes, theres nothing unusual about that, its what good coaches do. i.e. Conte making Moses a RWB.

Chaplin is a repeat example.

League one is no more of a tough league on 13:02 - Aug 1 with 1711 viewsitfc_bucks

League one is no more of a tough league on 12:53 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Disagree with that.

They are being asked to utilise their attributes, theres nothing unusual about that, its what good coaches do. i.e. Conte making Moses a RWB.

this. All of this.
Login to get fewer ads

League one is no more of a tough league on 13:17 - Aug 1 with 1655 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

All of those leagues are Sh1t so I’m struggling to see what your point is?

I’ll hold my hands up and say I thought going down would be a blessing in disguise and a clean slate. How wrong I was, there’s a reason clubs like Forest, Man City and Sunderland got stuck here for ages.

We’ve got to get out sooner rather than later. Existing in league One is a bit like being hugged by a dementor.
League one is no more of a tough league on 13:26 - Aug 1 with 1621 viewsJ2BLUE

Disagree with that.

Agree but look who you're talking to. It won't do any good.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

League one is no more of a tough league on 13:41 - Aug 1 with 1568 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

League one is no more of a tough league on 13:17 - Aug 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

All of those leagues are Sh1t so I’m struggling to see what your point is?

I’ll hold my hands up and say I thought going down would be a blessing in disguise and a clean slate. How wrong I was, there’s a reason clubs like Forest, Man City and Sunderland got stuck here for ages.

We’ve got to get out sooner rather than later. Existing in league One is a bit like being hugged by a dementor.

Man City were promoted at the first attempt when they came down here. Forest took 3 seasons but made the playoffs in their second season and Sunderland took 4 but included 3 playoff bids in that time

We’ve made very hard work of it so far compared to pretty much any other big club that has come down to the third division - probably easier to just paste the below rather than retype it

I don't hate Cook like I did Lambert by C_HealyIsAPleasure 4 Oct 2021 9:20
We’re certainly making harder work of it than most though

Looking at the big clubs that have come down to here in the last 20 or so years:

Man City, Leicester, Norwich, Wolves and Blackburn were all promoted at the first attempt

Sheffield Weds (1st time around) and Southampton did it second time around

Forest, Leeds and Charlton (twice) did it at the third go, all having made the playoffs beforehand. Leeds would have gone up automatically first time around had they not been deducted 15 points

Sunderland are on their 4th attempt but have made the playoffs twice, and currently sit second

Sheffield United are the outliers taking 6 seasons, but again did playoffs 3 times beforehand including their first 2 seasons

Portsmouth, Bolton and Coventry I think are somewhat different cases, given they were all basically bankrupt when they came down

So looking at like for like cases, if we don’t go up this season we’ll have taken longer than everyone bar Sunderland and Sheffield United, and we’re already behind the curve on those too having not even yet made the playoffs

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

League one is no more of a tough league on 14:05 - Aug 1 with 1490 viewsFrimleyBlue

Disagree with that.

I personally think it's bizarre you're asking a player who has scored 24 goals in 13 years to become your goalscoring cm tbh. But each to their own.

Chaplin is the worse example you can give. Completely wasted in the wrong position.

Waka waka eh eh

League one is no more of a tough league on 14:23 - Aug 1 with 1458 viewsBigCommon

Agree that all leagues are tough. But I'd say that 3 matches in, is a rather short yard stick to go by. When feasibly, you could be sitting in 9th/10th position, and yet be just 3 pts off of 2nd, for instance. After so few matches..
Obviously, we need to start the season, in much better form than we did last year. But the overall aim, is to average roughly 2 pts per game, over 46 matches.. So, for me, as long as we are nudging 20 pts after 10 games, or there abouts. Then we are doing a lot of things right..
Fanbase, is a complex subject imo.. It can be our best friend at times. But some sections can turn easily when things are stuttering on the pitch... A good fan base shouldn't be measured in pure numbers. But in the level of energy and bounce it gives to a project.. We should be wise to that.. On that note, great effort from Blue Action, Saturday. With the flags and banners..
Side note.. Our captains performance and attitude on Saturday, were immense. What a leader. Leading by example. I'd say he was well up for it this season. Any slackers will soon know about it, imo. Isn't it great to have a skipper who can grab a game by the scruff.? I think he left everything on the pitch and you can't ask for any more than that..
League one is no more of a tough league on 14:46 - Aug 1 with 1405 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League one is no more of a tough league on 14:05 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

I personally think it's bizarre you're asking a player who has scored 24 goals in 13 years to become your goalscoring cm tbh. But each to their own.

Chaplin is the worse example you can give. Completely wasted in the wrong position.

You think its bizarre how KM is using him?

Take a look at Gundugans scoring record before Pep got hold of him.

Take a look at how amazing everyone thought Morsy was on Saturday in the role KM is asking him to play. Everyone has said he was the best player on the pitch.

League one is no more of a tough league on 14:54 - Aug 1 with 1350 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s a ‘tough league’ in that more teams get relegated than get promoted - the polar opposite of division 4.

How tough it is to get out of in an upwards direction clearly depends on who you are. Rotherham and Posh clearly find it relatively easy ‘Big clubs’ relegated through a misplaced sense of entitlement, managerial and financial ineptitude tend to take a few years to adapt

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

League one is no more of a tough league on 15:02 - Aug 1 with 1333 viewsFrimleyBlue

League one is no more of a tough league on 14:46 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

You think its bizarre how KM is using him?

Take a look at Gundugans scoring record before Pep got hold of him.

Take a look at how amazing everyone thought Morsy was on Saturday in the role KM is asking him to play. Everyone has said he was the best player on the pitch.

Morsy was fantastic MM I agree. Problem is we are relying on him to the late in the box arrival ( as he was ) unfortunately he has no composure in and around the box and imo it's again something that will continue to hurt us as the season progresses.

As I've already said across various threads. We have super individuals. But imo it's still not set up to work as a team to win enough fixtures for promotion. But that's my option. Hopefully we are all celebrating promotion come end of season, otherwise its obvious why we've failed.

Waka waka eh eh

League one is no more of a tough league on 15:05 - Aug 1 with 1321 viewsBiGDonnie

I see you're dumping your dumb BS onto the news comments now the forum has had enough of you.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

League one is no more of a tough league on 15:06 - Aug 1 with 1304 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League one is no more of a tough league on 15:02 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

Morsy was fantastic MM I agree. Problem is we are relying on him to the late in the box arrival ( as he was ) unfortunately he has no composure in and around the box and imo it's again something that will continue to hurt us as the season progresses.

As I've already said across various threads. We have super individuals. But imo it's still not set up to work as a team to win enough fixtures for promotion. But that's my option. Hopefully we are all celebrating promotion come end of season, otherwise its obvious why we've failed.

Agree to disagree.

Morsy will score 8-10 goals this season.

League one is no more of a tough league on 16:12 - Aug 1 with 1174 viewsFrimleyBlue

League one is no more of a tough league on 15:05 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

I see you're dumping your dumb BS onto the news comments now the forum has had enough of you.

Ah your back. Been a while since you've provided your wisdom.

Waka waka eh eh

League one is no more of a tough league on 06:50 - Aug 2 with 975 viewsPioneerBlue

League one is no more of a tough league on 13:41 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Man City were promoted at the first attempt when they came down here. Forest took 3 seasons but made the playoffs in their second season and Sunderland took 4 but included 3 playoff bids in that time

We’ve made very hard work of it so far compared to pretty much any other big club that has come down to the third division - probably easier to just paste the below rather than retype it

I don't hate Cook like I did Lambert by C_HealyIsAPleasure 4 Oct 2021 9:20
We’re certainly making harder work of it than most though

Looking at the big clubs that have come down to here in the last 20 or so years:

Man City, Leicester, Norwich, Wolves and Blackburn were all promoted at the first attempt

Sheffield Weds (1st time around) and Southampton did it second time around

Forest, Leeds and Charlton (twice) did it at the third go, all having made the playoffs beforehand. Leeds would have gone up automatically first time around had they not been deducted 15 points

Sunderland are on their 4th attempt but have made the playoffs twice, and currently sit second

Sheffield United are the outliers taking 6 seasons, but again did playoffs 3 times beforehand including their first 2 seasons

Portsmouth, Bolton and Coventry I think are somewhat different cases, given they were all basically bankrupt when they came down

So looking at like for like cases, if we don’t go up this season we’ll have taken longer than everyone bar Sunderland and Sheffield United, and we’re already behind the curve on those too having not even yet made the playoffs

I like what you say, the only thing, it isn’t an excuse but it is a call for composure - let’s not all lose out sh!t while those around us lose theirs.

We had a total club reset 1 year ago. It should have happened after Mick went but couldn’t. GC20 wouldn’t have happened in the champ. Yes we are finding it hard in L1, yes it’s taken longer than anyone would hope, yes we all want promotion at the earliest time, yes it would be a huge concern for ‘the project’ if it doesn’t happen this season but we are in good hands.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

League one is no more of a tough league on 10:49 - Aug 2 with 857 viewssolemio

League one is no more of a tough league on 16:12 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

Ah your back. Been a while since you've provided your wisdom.

What's his back got to do with anything?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024