Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland 09:45 - Jun 13 with 971 viewswoodbridge_blue

Anyone else been watching this fascinating series, involving interviews and memories from people directly involved?

Last night was I think the most harrowing yet, documenting the era of tit for tat killings. Some shocking footage and very sad stories.

Whatever it takes we can't go back to those times.
Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 12:24 - Jun 13 with 873 viewsArnoldMoorhen

It would have been helpful if the BBC could have put this out before the Brexit Referendum.

Or if just one of their highly paid political journalists could have asked the questions about the implications of Brexit for Northern Ireland, and not let go until a proper answer was given.

When leading Brexiteer Dominic Raab didn't know that a lot of freight went through Dover every day.

When Secretary of State for Northern Ireland was surprised to discover that Protestants don't vote for Sinn Fein. (And was stupid enough to broadcast it in a "You probably don't know this, but I just found out a really interesting thing!" kind of way.)

When Jacob Rees-Mogg said that there would be no issues at all with the Good Friday Agreement if Brexit happened.

When Raab and others admitted that they had never even read The Good Friday Agreement.

It is shocking that they were even allowed to stand as MPs again, let alone be elected by their constituents and then go on to high office.

Idiots twtting around with very dangerous things.

The Good Friday Agreement was one of the greatest pieces of diplomatic work ever undertaken. It required some very bright and very dedicated people to gently nudge and prompt some very charismatic people each step of the way.

It totally depended on building up trust.

That trust has been utterly destroyed by Brexit (and the Arlene Foster Renewables scandal).
Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 12:39 - Jun 13 with 865 viewsPlums

I watched the whole series last week. A fascinating and informative watch. Some of the context from both sides was a real eye opener. I learned an awful lot and it was really interesting and troubling reliving some of those incidents I recall from the news but never got the background to. However there were some major bombing attacks which didn't get any airtime in the series and I'm still wondering why.

As you say, we can't ever go there again. The flippancy with which some of the Brexiteers seem to regard NI and its history can only be founded on ignorance.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 13:11 - Jun 13 with 844 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it's very good. I watched the end of it last week, so much suffering for not very much.

Brief thread from a couple of weeks back:

Once upon a time in Northern Ireland on iPlayer by Steve_M 30 May 2023 20:52
I’ve just watched the first two episodes, it’s very good albeit incredibly grim. Anyone else been watching it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0ff7cpp

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 13:37 - Jun 13 with 817 viewsDarth_Koont

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 12:24 - Jun 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

It would have been helpful if the BBC could have put this out before the Brexit Referendum.

Or if just one of their highly paid political journalists could have asked the questions about the implications of Brexit for Northern Ireland, and not let go until a proper answer was given.

When leading Brexiteer Dominic Raab didn't know that a lot of freight went through Dover every day.

When Secretary of State for Northern Ireland was surprised to discover that Protestants don't vote for Sinn Fein. (And was stupid enough to broadcast it in a "You probably don't know this, but I just found out a really interesting thing!" kind of way.)

When Jacob Rees-Mogg said that there would be no issues at all with the Good Friday Agreement if Brexit happened.

When Raab and others admitted that they had never even read The Good Friday Agreement.

It is shocking that they were even allowed to stand as MPs again, let alone be elected by their constituents and then go on to high office.

The Good Friday Agreement was one of the greatest pieces of diplomatic work ever undertaken. It required some very bright and very dedicated people to gently nudge and prompt some very charismatic people each step of the way.

That trust has been utterly destroyed by Brexit (and the Arlene Foster Renewables scandal).

Our “journalists” followed the circus and “personalities” of Brexit.

Scandalous that the Northern Irish situation and potential for disaster was almost entirely ignored until it became a stumbling block in the process. But, as you say, it should have been front and centre pre-referendum to highlight that this was real stuff with real consequences and certainly no easy answers.

We have the least trusted media in the OECD. That’s not just about a predominantly right-wing and self-interested bias, it’s also because even the BBC and the Guardian are pretty incompetent and/or uninterested in holding power to account.

The triple whammy of a laughably outdated electoral and parliamentary system, two largely unaccountable and self-serving red and blue monoliths that emerge as a direct result, and a captive or otherwise unquestioning media will just keep screwing us over and over. And not in a good way.

Pronouns: He/Him

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 15:26 - Jun 13 with 764 viewsleitrimblue

It is fascinating if more then a little intense. I'm quite aware of Irish history through my occupation and having spent 20 odd years living close to the border. But it's still strange seeing some of those scenes again and hearing from people who where there. I have a few friends who had relatives murdered, some who talk about it and others who don't. I realised while watching last night that 1 of my friends fathers was killed during the tit for tat murders covered in last night's episode. We've been friends for 20 years and he as never spoke about it. The only way I find out was that he takes the same day off work every year, I believe to take part In the commemoration. Another friend told me his story and lent me a book ( I think called border country) which covered the incident.
Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 18:55 - Jun 13 with 674 viewscbower

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 12:24 - Jun 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

An excellent documentary. Let's hope we never go back there.
On the Brexit issue, the level of ignorance amongst Brexiteers was astonshing and leading Reamain candidates allowed them to set the agenda of debate.
And what's more, I continue to hear the rhetoric that Johnson 'got Brexit done'. Ffs, the deal he struck was so flawed in so many ways as to make it meaningless. One lie on top of another.

bluescouser

Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland on 19:35 - Jun 13 with 645 viewsEireannach_gorm

This documentary on Father Alec Reid is a good companion to the series ( not sure if it is geolocked in the UK). Shows what lengths the peacemakers went to and how brave they were.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/the-secret-peacemaker/387784744415
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024