Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Jones 17:59 - Jul 30 with 2418 viewsNutkins_Return

Feels a bit of a 'playing devils advocate' question but would anyone take him?

I know he's a player who has had the full treatment from press/social media over last few years. More importantly the fitness issues.

If you got him playing games he would be an outstanding defender at championship level. I was just thinking as a Keogh type figure. Experience and undoubted quality.

Fitness risk probably rules it out. McKenna obviously knows him though.

Trusty or McNally would be preferable/longer term options. Amazingly though Phil Jones is still only 31.
Phil Jones on 18:02 - Jul 30 with 2394 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well....

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Phil Jones on 18:05 - Jul 30 with 2339 viewscressi

Phil Jones on 18:02 - Jul 30 by FrimleyBlue

Well....

Thought he had gone to Greece this summer.
Phil Jones on 18:34 - Jul 30 with 2188 viewsNutkins_Return

Phil Jones on 18:02 - Jul 30 by FrimleyBlue

Well....

Haha. You can have an uppy. I would love a frimmers big reply and take on this!!

This is my most Frimmers post ever.
Phil Jones on 18:35 - Jul 30 with 2171 viewsNutkins_Return

Phil Jones on 18:05 - Jul 30 by cressi

Don't think so. There was a Greek side interested

We need a quality 'Phil' on the Ipswich scene.
Phil Jones on 18:40 - Jul 30 with 2135 viewsChurchman

His name has surfaced before. Wiki says 13 appearances in 4 seasons. Why on earth would we want to shine the treatment table with him even if we had money to burn to pay his wages?

They’ve made it clear that we are not after squad fillers and if the Man United people can’t get the man playing I don’t see how we can.

I know he was once a good player. So were many people in the past and like them, his time is passed. No.
Phil Jones on 18:43 - Jul 30 with 2123 viewsBlueandTruesince82

If fit he'd be a great signing.

Plenty of Utd defenders have taken dogs abuse there and left only to demonstrate their quality. Johnny Evans is a prime example.

Totally unrelated but Utd have Tom Hudslestone on their books just so their youth team has someone good to practice against, Evans is back there on a contract over the summer and can see him signing for a year or 2 in a similar role.

A fit Phil Jones would be a terrific signing but I imagine an expensive one in terms of wages and that probably makes him too much of a risk

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Phil Jones on 19:05 - Jul 30 with 2005 viewsNutkins_Return

Phil Jones on 18:40 - Jul 30 by Churchman

His name has surfaced before. Wiki says 13 appearances in 4 seasons. Why on earth would we want to shine the treatment table with him even if we had money to burn to pay his wages?

They’ve made it clear that we are not after squad fillers and if the Man United people can’t get the man playing I don’t see how we can.

I know he was once a good player. So were many people in the past and like them, his time is passed. No.

Yep, I mean this is why it won't and shouldn't happen. All logical.

Hypothetically if someone can keep him fit I'd be really happy for him. He could do really well somewhere and finish with the legacy he'll currently end with.
Phil Jones on 19:06 - Jul 30 with 1999 viewsFrimleyBlue

Phil Jones on 18:34 - Jul 30 by Nutkins_Return

Haha. You can have an uppy. I would love a frimmers big reply and take on this!!

This is my most Frimmers post ever.

Keno can confirm.. Phil is yet to deny that PJ is not on towns radar... make of that what you will.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Phil Jones on 19:16 - Jul 30 with 1940 viewsjayessess

Have there ever been any similar come backs? Players who barely kicked a ball for 4 seasons but then blossomed again late in their career?

None of Connor WIckham, Andy Carroll, Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge ever managed to find their old level again. Not sure I can think of an example the other way.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Phil Jones on 19:26 - Jul 30 with 1890 viewscressi

Phil Jones on 19:16 - Jul 30 by jayessess

Have there ever been any similar come backs? Players who barely kicked a ball for 4 seasons but then blossomed again late in their career?

None of Connor WIckham, Andy Carroll, Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge ever managed to find their old level again. Not sure I can think of an example the other way.

We don't want a player who can't play 90 minutes at least 30 games,a season. Let alone over 4,seasons.
Phil Jones on 19:27 - Jul 30 with 1886 viewsNutkins_Return

Phil Jones on 19:06 - Jul 30 by FrimleyBlue

Keno can confirm.. Phil is yet to deny that PJ is not on towns radar... make of that what you will.

😂🤔😲
Phil Jones on 19:36 - Jul 30 with 1842 viewsNutkins_Return

By the way I agree it's a bad idea based on injury record but there are quite a few. Will Keane more recently had a horror show of injuries for the majority of his career and then bang he's playing 50 games a season. McGoldrick another one close to home blighted by injuries for several years and then suddenly never again.

Bigger name examples I remember Ruud Van Nistelrooy coming back from ACL and trying to force his Utd move and did his ACL again in front of the cameras trying to prove it was ok. Back to. Back ACL in those days was often the end.

Santi Cazorla....unbelievable phoenix from the flames. He was done.

Bit yes...seems.unlikely.
Phil Jones on 08:00 - Jul 31 with 1325 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The closest I can think of is that near-ever-present McGoldrick at Sheffield United and Derby after constant "niggles" with us.
Phil Jones on 08:16 - Jul 31 with 1291 viewsChurchman

Phil Jones on 08:00 - Jul 31 by ArnoldMoorhen

The closest I can think of is that near-ever-present McGoldrick at Sheffield United and Derby after constant "niggles" with us.

McGoldrick certainly did a Lazarus when he left here. I doubt our medical treatment went beyond a 20 year old cold sponge, fire bucket and a course of leeches.

He was also here at a time low expectations when mediocrity was the pinnacle. He moved from a run down club a long way from home to somewhere better, closer and had ambition.

The reality is you can make a case for an injury prone hasbeen like Jones, but how realistic is it? In four years he’s barely played. Even as a back up, which I doubt he’d want to move the other side of the country for, what use would he be? He’s a name. Whoopee, marquee signing! No he isn’t. You may as well sign up John Wark. Far better player and would play more games.
Phil Jones on 08:34 - Jul 31 with 1223 viewsbluestandard

Totally get this. the other side is:-

1) 13 apps in 4 seasons at Manure is different to almost any other club. I'm sure I've read that he has been fit and training for some time, but naturally hasn't been risked with much gametime.
2) As Luongo showed last season, undoubted quality even for a few games can swing results in our favour.
3) We probably need a Keogh type influence more this season than we did last season. We're going to concede a lot more goals and the defence is going to be far more tested.

I think your best point is the squad filler argument. Places are at a such a premium and in a league with lots of games, 5 subs etc, the games to squad place ratio needs to be high. We just don't have the space for a risk.
Phil Jones on 11:12 - Jul 31 with 981 viewsjayessess

Phil Jones on 08:00 - Jul 31 by ArnoldMoorhen

For all his injury-proneness, he was never missed anywhere near the amount of football that Jones did.

Even in his worst season for games missed he still played 24 times.

Phil Jones on 11:20 - Jul 31 with 960 viewsronnyd

Phil Jones on 18:05 - Jul 30 by cressi

Fighting wildfires?
Phil Jones on 11:40 - Jul 31 with 921 viewsjayessess

Phil Jones on 08:34 - Jul 31 by bluestandard

Totally get this. the other side is:-

1) 13 apps in 4 seasons at Manure is different to almost any other club. I'm sure I've read that he has been fit and training for some time, but naturally hasn't been risked with much gametime.
2) As Luongo showed last season, undoubted quality even for a few games can swing results in our favour.
3) We probably need a Keogh type influence more this season than we did last season. We're going to concede a lot more goals and the defence is going to be far more tested.

I think your best point is the squad filler argument. Places are at a such a premium and in a league with lots of games, 5 subs etc, the games to squad place ratio needs to be high. We just don't have the space for a risk.

You'd only want something off the back of a lengthy period training with us, I think.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024