Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attendances 12:10 - Oct 29 with 5543 viewsjasondozzell

Firstly, it's great to see the ground full every week and I think everyone can agree that seeing a whole new generation interested and enjoying the football is excellent after the Evans years. Can only be a good thing.

Had a conversation yesterday about the pub we go to before the game and how much busier it has got and when. I went back and looked at attendances. It's easy to think that everything immediately shot up when Gamechanger came in but having checked I'd forgotten that we were actually only averaging about 18 ,or 19,000 for most of 20-21. Obv McKenna and pack out PR stuff had a huge impact but even last season we were mid twenties I'd say and only selling out towards the end.

Obviously the success is a huge part of it but do we think the extra five thousand or so are here to stay or does it depend on success? If we had 2 or 3 years back at champ level (I mean hopefully we're going straight up but if not!) where would we be with attendances?

I think people are right when they say we could sustain 40000 if in PL and if we rebuild the Cobbold and I tend to agree.

Either way, makes a nice change from the tail end of Mick when sometimes half the season ticket holders weren't there. Crowds of 12,000 which looked more like 9,000!
Attendances on 12:15 - Oct 29 with 3981 viewsazuremerlangus

The revenue from having 28-29k every home game must be making a big difference to the club’s finances. Matchday turnover must be c. £1m?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Attendances on 12:19 - Oct 29 with 3951 viewsjasondozzell

Attendances on 12:15 - Oct 29 by azuremerlangus

The revenue from having 28-29k every home game must be making a big difference to the club’s finances. Matchday turnover must be c. £1m?

Must be. Plus I think they've said the retail is breaking records too. Shirts certainly have. Everything feels a lot more slick. Was approached by someone from Town TV yesterday in town before the game. They were interviewing fans for the build up. It made me laugh - can you imagine a club employee being sent into Town to do vox pops ahead of Games at the end of Mick days?!
Attendances on 12:35 - Oct 29 with 3861 viewsIllinoisblue

Talk of sustaining 40k crowds if we were in the prem is incredibly and wildly optimistic. Foolish, even.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Attendances on 12:38 - Oct 29 with 3832 viewsHerbivore

Attendances on 12:35 - Oct 29 by Illinoisblue

Talk of sustaining 40k crowds if we were in the prem is incredibly and wildly optimistic. Foolish, even.

Yeah, I tend to agree. We're on the crest of a wave currently and selling out or close to it most weeks but even yesterday there was a handful of tickets left on the Friday. Adding around 35% more fans every week seems overly optimistic. Struggling to think of many clubs of a similar stature that manage 40k attendances regularly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Attendances on 12:50 - Oct 29 with 3770 viewsjasondozzell

Oh I agree - I am firmly in the let's not get ahead of ourselves camp! I just wondered hypothetically what our base attendance will be over next few years depending on what happens. Fluctuating a lot over last few years for obvious reasons.

A top ten finish this season was what I was hoping for!
Attendances on 12:51 - Oct 29 with 3761 viewsjasondozzell

Attendances on 12:38 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Yeah, I tend to agree. We're on the crest of a wave currently and selling out or close to it most weeks but even yesterday there was a handful of tickets left on the Friday. Adding around 35% more fans every week seems overly optimistic. Struggling to think of many clubs of a similar stature that manage 40k attendances regularly.

Yes, perhaps unrealistic. It's a very tricky decision for them if they do plan to redevelop the Cobbold. It has to be sustainable and with planning for all eventualities. Wouldn't like to be making that final decision!
Attendances on 12:52 - Oct 29 with 3761 viewsChurchman

If only. My guess is a ground holding 33k - 35k max would be more than enough.

I’d hate an MK Dons empty stadium scenario and remember that it wasn’t so long ago that PR was a third empty for most fixtures.
Attendances on 12:54 - Oct 29 with 3746 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

If we were promoted we’d have to expand to accommodate the numbers of away supporters. There’s now tonnes of ST holders in the upper and lower Cobbolds that will have to be moved to accommodate the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Manchester United and City, Liverpool and so on. I believe we’d be obligated to take a greater % as per the cups. So we’d need to consider at least a 35k stadium in the immediate future and probably 40 should we truly get established. We should be able to draw 30k min in the Premier League surely?
Login to get fewer ads

Attendances on 12:54 - Oct 29 with 3746 viewsAlanG296

Agreed, we've had an unprecedented period since Gamechanger took over. Such a contrast with the years of decline, neglect and acceptance of mediocrity under Evans. Having been a home and away regular for many years I had become an occasional attender but became a season ticket holder becsuse ofthe positivity and hope that the change of ownership brought, and have renewed twice. The football we are seeing is a good part of that but for me price is always an important factor, as with anything I buy I'm looking for affordability and value for money. This year the early renewal price was very attractive, the full Championship price much less so. Whichever division we're in next season, I'm expecting increased prices which would affect whether I renew, suspect I'm far from the only one. The Cobbold Stand does need replacing but increasing capacity by a third would be foolhardy.
Attendances (n/t) on 12:59 - Oct 29 with 3692 viewsgainsboroughblue

Edit. Posted in wrong thread.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:00]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Attendances on 13:01 - Oct 29 with 3684 viewsIllinoisblue

Attendances on 12:50 - Oct 29 by jasondozzell

Oh I agree - I am firmly in the let's not get ahead of ourselves camp! I just wondered hypothetically what our base attendance will be over next few years depending on what happens. Fluctuating a lot over last few years for obvious reasons.

A top ten finish this season was what I was hoping for!

If we were to go up this season would we realistically do any better than Burnley or Luton are doing? Yes our football is great, but so was Burnley’s last season. Say we did do well and finished 14th… what realistically is our ceiling? Our improved crowds the last two years have been fueled by winning and having hope. The prem would soon take both those away.

Also there’s the small matter of having to expand the ground while trying to build a competitive squad. We’ve seen before we struggle with that!!

62 - 78 - 81

Attendances on 13:05 - Oct 29 with 3632 viewsjasondozzell

Attendances on 13:01 - Oct 29 by Illinoisblue

If we were to go up this season would we realistically do any better than Burnley or Luton are doing? Yes our football is great, but so was Burnley’s last season. Say we did do well and finished 14th… what realistically is our ceiling? Our improved crowds the last two years have been fueled by winning and having hope. The prem would soon take both those away.

Also there’s the small matter of having to expand the ground while trying to build a competitive squad. We’ve seen before we struggle with that!!

Fair points. To be honest I'm always torn about promotion to the PL. It's nowhere near as good as the championship in terms of competitiveness and enjoyment. I hate VAR. You'd see less football. But of v course it would also be exciting and amazing to be back in the top flight.

I'd be fascinated to see how KMac handled the challenge. I'd also love to see us have a go at it with much of the league one squad.

And agree about the danger of overreaching again. We'd need to establish ourselves perhaps to even think about redevelopment.
Attendances on 13:14 - Oct 29 with 3596 viewsMK1

Attendances on 13:01 - Oct 29 by Illinoisblue

I think that if we are regular top half Prem, then 30-35,000 Ipswich fans. Add to that 3-9,000 away fans and we are at around 40,000. Not that unbelievable.
Attendances on 13:21 - Oct 29 with 3548 views3_5_2

35K more realistic

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Attendances on 13:27 - Oct 29 with 3510 viewsMK1

Attendances on 12:38 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

There are a lot of younger faces at the games these days. I think 30-35,000 Ipswich fans for a side top half of Prem isn't that wild an idea. Add to that the away support of the big 7-8 clubs and you ain't far off the 40,000 mark.
Attendances on 13:28 - Oct 29 with 3504 viewsIllinoisblue

Attendances on 13:14 - Oct 29 by MK1

I think that if we are regular top half Prem, then 30-35,000 Ipswich fans. Add to that 3-9,000 away fans and we are at around 40,000. Not that unbelievable.

Even if we were regularly top half prem - and that’s a massively huge if given we’ve managed that only once in an 8-season span in our entire history - now the prem is so uncompetitive the thrill of finishing 9th would soon wear off.

Also, where are you putting 9,000 away fans??!!

62 - 78 - 81

Attendances on 13:35 - Oct 29 with 3408 viewsMK1

Attendances on 13:28 - Oct 29 by Illinoisblue

Even if we were regularly top half prem - and that’s a massively huge if given we’ve managed that only once in an 8-season span in our entire history - now the prem is so uncompetitive the thrill of finishing 9th would soon wear off.

Also, where are you putting 9,000 away fans??!!

Obviously ground expansion is in the owners minds. Lots of ifs and buts, but with these owners, who knows?
We are attracting around 27,000 Ipswich fans in the Championship, so an uptake of 5,000ish in the Prem isn't exactly pie in the sky stuff.
Attendances on 13:42 - Oct 29 with 3368 viewsHerbivore

Attendances on 13:35 - Oct 29 by MK1

Obviously ground expansion is in the owners minds. Lots of ifs and buts, but with these owners, who knows?
We are attracting around 27,000 Ipswich fans in the Championship, so an uptake of 5,000ish in the Prem isn't exactly pie in the sky stuff.

It's a bigger increase than you might think, you're talking about adding 20% on to the Town fans attending and then giving nearly a quarter of the stadium to away fans to get anywhere near 40k. I just don't think that's realistic. 35k feels about our ceiling in terms of regular attendances. Of course there will be one off games where we potentially could sell more than that but most weeks I can't see how we get to 40k.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Attendances on 13:44 - Oct 29 with 3357 viewsHipsterectomy

Norwich have had consistent promotion and parachute payments for years and waiting lists to get tickets. Now as they slump to a huge decline and seem to have spunked everything they've earned, they are only now drawing up plans to maybe expand Carrow Road.

Maybe they're just terribly run, but I don't think expanding the ground would ever be a priority for the immediate future.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Attendances on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 3286 viewsMK1

Attendances on 13:42 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

It's a bigger increase than you might think, you're talking about adding 20% on to the Town fans attending and then giving nearly a quarter of the stadium to away fans to get anywhere near 40k. I just don't think that's realistic. 35k feels about our ceiling in terms of regular attendances. Of course there will be one off games where we potentially could sell more than that but most weeks I can't see how we get to 40k.

Like I say, lots of ifs and buts. Ground expansion is a must, obviously, but yes, maybe 35,000 average is more realistic. I do think that our average age of support has come down in recent years, so that bears well for the future. Lets get out of the Championship first and maybe revisit the conversation then.
Attendances on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 3295 viewsle2blue

West Ham averaged 30-33k at Upton Park, now 63k at London Stadium, whilst not comparing us to them and their location, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could sustainably build towards adding another 5-10k in the Premier League. We definitely have the catchment to go after which is partly why we were purchased.

What we need to remember is that we now have serious football industry professionals running the club, and investors with the capital and access to capital (I would argue only beaten by the top 6 in the premier league) to invest and build sensibly. So, if we were ever going to do something it would be well-planned, budgeted, and delivered. Whatever they do won't only be about seats but more facilitates to generate revenue non-matchday as they've said. I think some will be surprised at the scale of their plans when they start announcing.
Attendances on 14:04 - Oct 29 with 3255 viewsNutkins_Return

Attendances on 13:27 - Oct 29 by MK1

There are a lot of younger faces at the games these days. I think 30-35,000 Ipswich fans for a side top half of Prem isn't that wild an idea. Add to that the away support of the big 7-8 clubs and you ain't far off the 40,000 mark.

There are less games so certainly we would have a chance early doors and while doing well to fill close to 40k. United and City and Liverpool and co coming to town. But it will take maybe 18 months for a new stand and by then you have no idea how we are doing and what division. Realistically we do the cobbold and put another 5-7k in. Somewhere in the region of 34-35k would be absolutely spot on for me. Even then though some risks.

The bigger issue as well is we have a season with significantly reduced capacity and atmosphere. I think most likely this is 2-3 years away from being serious consideration.
Attendances on 16:41 - Oct 29 with 2919 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

I think a 40k stadium would be ideal in the Premier League. I’ve been in a 38000 crowd at Portman Road back in the ‘70’s so why wouldn’t that be possible now. OK it probably wouldn’t be full against the likes of Brentford or Bournemouth but against the big 7 or 8 clubs no problem. We would have to give away fans a much bigger allocation of course. Get that Cobbold stand redeveloped ASAP !
Attendances on 16:52 - Oct 29 with 2889 viewsMK1

We are attracting between 40+50% more than 2-3 seasons ago. Like I say, it's not exactly pie in the sky figures. If I was saying 50-60,000 then I would get it, but an uptake of 5-7,000 fans isn't totally out of the question. Lets get there first.
Attendances on 17:17 - Oct 29 with 2821 viewsfloridablue

Attendances on 16:41 - Oct 29 by muhrensleftfoot

I think a 40k stadium would be ideal in the Premier League. I’ve been in a 38000 crowd at Portman Road back in the ‘70’s so why wouldn’t that be possible now. OK it probably wouldn’t be full against the likes of Brentford or Bournemouth but against the big 7 or 8 clubs no problem. We would have to give away fans a much bigger allocation of course. Get that Cobbold stand redeveloped ASAP !

Wasn't there something like 8-10 thousand Leeds fans for that 38,000 attendance? I was there and wouldn't be surprised if there was more than 40k inside Portman Road that day!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024