Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
sarmiento loan 10:07 - Jan 3 with 1911 viewsnodge_blue

Excited for this. Sounds like an attacking player who will give much needed options up front.

We would all love a permie signing but realistically to get the required quality levels in this window that is going to be hard.

What's equally promising is how much he talked about Ipswich being an attractive option right now for players to go to. We have plucked him out of WBA for goodness sake. Think this augurs well for this and future windows as we have jumped much higher up the pecking order.

We just need to regroup now and go again.

Must find at least one more no 9 though.
[Post edited 3 Jan 10:08]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

sarmiento loan on 10:13 - Jan 3 with 1852 viewsNutkins_Return

It's a big 'if' but if we do get promoted the good thing about this loan is it offers potential continuity as from reports and from what he says in the interview it seems to confirm the option for another year if we go up.
sarmiento loan on 12:28 - Jan 3 with 1703 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I know a Sunderland fan who just texted me to say that Sarmiento battered them a couple of weeks ago. Here's hoping for more of that.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

sarmiento loan on 12:45 - Jan 3 with 1636 views_clive_baker_

Yeah, looks a good signing for sure. Can't help but feel if we can keep Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson and Sarmiento fit then we've got some real weapons in the final 3rd and wide areas. Lots of depth to ensure freshness, a nice mix of raw youth and experience. Pace, skill, technique, ball runners, finishers.

As you say we need a number 9 (ideally 2) who can kick us on in Hirst's absence and bind that forward unit, bully defenders and create the space and conditions for those players to create from. Hirst has done that so well, it's a huge blow him getting injured. We're effectively looking at a 10 - 15 game period as the priority. To inject some impetus and keep our top 2 hopes alive until GH comes back to give us another option. With that in mind we really need someone to hit the ground running, someone who knows the league ideally and can slot in and add value from day 1. Not easy to find but I'm confident we can strengthen well.

How about Cauley Woodrow? Knows his way around the Championship, played with Chaplin at Barnsley. Not getting much game time at Luton.
sarmiento loan on 12:55 - Jan 3 with 1587 viewsSomethingBlue

sarmiento loan on 12:45 - Jan 3 by _clive_baker_

Yeah, looks a good signing for sure. Can't help but feel if we can keep Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson and Sarmiento fit then we've got some real weapons in the final 3rd and wide areas. Lots of depth to ensure freshness, a nice mix of raw youth and experience. Pace, skill, technique, ball runners, finishers.

As you say we need a number 9 (ideally 2) who can kick us on in Hirst's absence and bind that forward unit, bully defenders and create the space and conditions for those players to create from. Hirst has done that so well, it's a huge blow him getting injured. We're effectively looking at a 10 - 15 game period as the priority. To inject some impetus and keep our top 2 hopes alive until GH comes back to give us another option. With that in mind we really need someone to hit the ground running, someone who knows the league ideally and can slot in and add value from day 1. Not easy to find but I'm confident we can strengthen well.

How about Cauley Woodrow? Knows his way around the Championship, played with Chaplin at Barnsley. Not getting much game time at Luton.

I'm warming to the idea of Woodrow. Definitely need someone who knows the league, for me, especially as we have a very clear short-term target now. It's less about having a prolific goalscorer than having an enabler up there who can be a foil for all the wingers/10s, as Hirst does so well.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

sarmiento loan on 13:36 - Jan 3 with 1408 viewsLankHenners

sarmiento loan on 12:55 - Jan 3 by SomethingBlue

I'm warming to the idea of Woodrow. Definitely need someone who knows the league, for me, especially as we have a very clear short-term target now. It's less about having a prolific goalscorer than having an enabler up there who can be a foil for all the wingers/10s, as Hirst does so well.

With all the talk of the likes of Kieffer Moore, 'plan b', other physical strikers etc., I am reminded of the 2014-15 season where Bournemouth loaned Kenwyne Jones who was as un-Bournemouth as you could get and only played about half a dozen games but was a useful battering ram in certain games to see them over the line (not least the 1-1 draw at Portman Road where he headed in from a corner late on).

Wouldn't surprise me if we had our eye on doing something not altogether dissimilar, given the position we're in.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

sarmiento loan on 13:39 - Jan 3 with 1389 views_clive_baker_

sarmiento loan on 12:55 - Jan 3 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely agree.
sarmiento loan on 16:10 - Jan 3 with 1262 viewsRadlett_blue

I have to assume that McKenna has seen enough of Sarmiento to feel he's going to be good enough to start more regularly than he did at WBA. Therefore, he should be a useful addition, even if initially a superior option to Jackson from the bench.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

sarmiento loan on 18:08 - Jan 3 with 1087 viewsbackwaywhen

Bienvenido Jeremy ……
Login to get fewer ads

sarmiento loan on 19:18 - Jan 3 with 994 viewsnodge_blue

In an ideal world we should recruit someone who is arguably better than Hirst in this window. I dont know who that is though and i dont really know much about Woodrow. Everyone wants a striker, from Arsenal to Sheffield Wednesday.

Maybe another Daryl Murphy is out there....

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

sarmiento loan on 20:42 - Jan 3 with 921 viewsStewart27

Yes we need two number 9s for sure now Hirst is injured.

One to start and one to come in if said starter is injured.

We cannot rely on Ladapo or Jackson to come in and do that job.
sarmiento loan on 07:05 - Jan 4 with 753 viewsBondiBlue

sarmiento loan on 19:18 - Jan 3 by nodge_blue

In an ideal world we should recruit someone who is arguably better than Hirst in this window. I dont know who that is though and i dont really know much about Woodrow. Everyone wants a striker, from Arsenal to Sheffield Wednesday.

Maybe another Daryl Murphy is out there....

I wonder if we might be in for a different type of striker than other teams. Hirst is essentially a hard-running, low-scoring target man, isn't he? Not the sort of sexy striker signing most idiot owners will be insisting on in january.

Poll: Which would you accept?

sarmiento loan on 07:30 - Jan 4 with 715 viewsbournemouthblue

He looks a very talented player, probably more of a number 10 than a winger but presumably can play both

He'll add some extra quality going forward and give us more options

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024