Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland game feels big 19:53 - Jan 6 with 3791 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Top 6 side at home, dip in form by our standards, still a few injuries, Saints could be 2nd by KO. Really feels like we need to bounce back don’t want to be staring down the barrel of 7 league games without a win.
Sunderland game feels big on 19:56 - Jan 6 with 2939 viewsthe_toff

Especially as Leicester away follows it.
Sunderland game feels big on 20:11 - Jan 6 with 2843 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sunderland game feels big on 19:56 - Jan 6 by the_toff

Especially as Leicester away follows it.

Yep hence the starting down the barrel comment. After Leicester it softens somewhat with I think only WBA @ home to play in the top 6 for a while. For a home game after a tough Christmas, next week is huge.
Sunderland game feels big on 20:13 - Jan 6 with 2826 viewsIllinoisblue

It’ll be tricky; they’ll be wanting to bounce back from getting spanked by the Geordies. I fear they’ll enjoy being away from home and the underdog. 3 points is massive for us. Massive.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sunderland game feels big on 20:19 - Jan 6 with 2799 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sunderland game feels big on 20:13 - Jan 6 by Illinoisblue

It’ll be tricky; they’ll be wanting to bounce back from getting spanked by the Geordies. I fear they’ll enjoy being away from home and the underdog. 3 points is massive for us. Massive.

You’re not going to want to go to Leicester in third place.
Sunderland game feels big on 21:36 - Jan 6 with 2602 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

The lack of Davis and Hirst is the killer, if we did sign the Hirst replacement by then the real challenge is having a brand new player in our system with limited preparation. The reality is Ladapo has failed to step up to that role in this league and showed us very little on his return to the side, Jackson has done a little better in terms of work rate in that position but also hasn’t offered what Hirst does. What can we do? Burns and Broadhead are obviously still recovering, if Taylor starts he’s obviously got a goal in him but we loose support for the backline and the final big issue is no Morsy, as good as Travis is he’s coming in with just a week’s preparation too.

The only upside is they looked absolutely awful and were well beaten today.
Sunderland game feels big on 21:49 - Jan 6 with 2563 viewsjasondozzell

Understand where you're coming from but I think we need to be really wary of starting to call games as massive or must win. Still a long way to go. We're in an incredible position but I don't think it'll help us to think we've got to hold off Saints every week now or all is lost. Lots of twists and turns to come. We just need to go back to what's served us so well so far - one game at a time and focusing on performance and principles.

I reckon McKenna will have addressed this after the Christmas block of games. Fresh start and back to focusing on our performance. Control what we can control.

We're in a difficult period with new players coming in and looking for a striker to fit team's play. In that context, a draw against Mackems might turn out to be good result. Win would be huge I agree but it's not everything.
Sunderland game feels big on 22:04 - Jan 6 with 2500 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sunderland game feels big on 21:49 - Jan 6 by jasondozzell

Understand where you're coming from but I think we need to be really wary of starting to call games as massive or must win. Still a long way to go. We're in an incredible position but I don't think it'll help us to think we've got to hold off Saints every week now or all is lost. Lots of twists and turns to come. We just need to go back to what's served us so well so far - one game at a time and focusing on performance and principles.

I reckon McKenna will have addressed this after the Christmas block of games. Fresh start and back to focusing on our performance. Control what we can control.

We're in a difficult period with new players coming in and looking for a striker to fit team's play. In that context, a draw against Mackems might turn out to be good result. Win would be huge I agree but it's not everything.

I know what you’re saying, I didn’t coin the phrase must win and I doubt what fans think or say on a message board will be the mantra dressing room.

It does however feel quite big to me in the sense that not winning in a calendar month and falling to third could feel quite tough. If we could just eek this one out then the schedule softens a bit after Leicester.

Hope the fans can do their part as well.
Sunderland game feels big on 22:12 - Jan 6 with 2464 viewsjasondozzell

Sunderland game feels big on 22:04 - Jan 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I know what you’re saying, I didn’t coin the phrase must win and I doubt what fans think or say on a message board will be the mantra dressing room.

It does however feel quite big to me in the sense that not winning in a calendar month and falling to third could feel quite tough. If we could just eek this one out then the schedule softens a bit after Leicester.

Hope the fans can do their part as well.

Yeah - it's time for support to step up. Our turn now to get behind team. I do agree with you in terms of dynamic - a win would give us a bit of belief again and really bolster us after tough little run of results. Would make approach to Leicester a lot more positive.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland game feels big on 22:15 - Jan 6 with 2441 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sunderland game feels big on 22:12 - Jan 6 by jasondozzell

Yeah - it's time for support to step up. Our turn now to get behind team. I do agree with you in terms of dynamic - a win would give us a bit of belief again and really bolster us after tough little run of results. Would make approach to Leicester a lot more positive.

Time for players to step up again now too..

Travis has joined and its the first time the word promotion has been said by a member of playing squad.
Clearly that's the target. They can't say anything less now.

So time to step up and see it through

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Sunderland game feels big on 22:17 - Jan 6 with 2442 viewsjasondozzell

Sunderland game feels big on 22:15 - Jan 6 by FrimleyBlue

Time for players to step up again now too..

Travis has joined and its the first time the word promotion has been said by a member of playing squad.
Clearly that's the target. They can't say anything less now.

So time to step up and see it through

Hopefully they'll relish the challenge. What an opportunity they've give themselves.
Sunderland game feels big on 23:34 - Jan 6 with 2268 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sunderland game feels big on 20:13 - Jan 6 by Illinoisblue

Gifted it to Al-Newcastle…an own goal, a penalty, and a horrendous error passing out from the back.

Let’s hope they play like that against us. Looked like a confidence shattering performance….
Sunderland game feels big on 23:46 - Jan 6 with 2220 viewsChurchman

Really? We’ve lost only once in the last five games, played Leeds away (who admittedly toasted us) Leicester (best team by a lot), Scum (rubbish, but a derby is a derby), QPR with the ressies and a resurgent Stoke, again with our best players missing. 13 points from 8 games was slightly less than I hoped but it wasn’t a disaster and hardly constituted loss of belief.

By comparison in the relegation horror season we racked up four points in the comparable 8 game period and for us at that time, that was as big an achievement as Norwich’s fantastic rear guard action draw today😀.

What we need is a forget Aug - 1 Jan, the season starts here with Sunderland again. A reset. Let’s watch the revised team grow and enjoy it. We are safe from the drop and the opportunity is there.

It’s clear from the two brought in that the club really is trying to strengthen and move forward. Such a contrast to the Evans-years endless debacle of words and lies
[Post edited 6 Jan 23:54]
Sunderland game feels big on 23:55 - Jan 6 with 2169 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sunderland game feels big on 23:46 - Jan 6 by Churchman

Really? We’ve lost only once in the last five games, played Leeds away (who admittedly toasted us) Leicester (best team by a lot), Scum (rubbish, but a derby is a derby), QPR with the ressies and a resurgent Stoke, again with our best players missing. 13 points from 8 games was slightly less than I hoped but it wasn’t a disaster and hardly constituted loss of belief.

By comparison in the relegation horror season we racked up four points in the comparable 8 game period and for us at that time, that was as big an achievement as Norwich’s fantastic rear guard action draw today😀.

What we need is a forget Aug - 1 Jan, the season starts here with Sunderland again. A reset. Let’s watch the revised team grow and enjoy it. We are safe from the drop and the opportunity is there.

It’s clear from the two brought in that the club really is trying to strengthen and move forward. Such a contrast to the Evans-years endless debacle of words and lies
[Post edited 6 Jan 23:54]

Lost only once, won none. Only scored 3 goals.

They say the longer a run goes the harder it gets, so today's win will hopefully give the players as the poster said a little belief again and beating Sunderland would be a great result to kick-start 2024.

Waka waka eh eh

Sunderland game feels big on 00:15 - Jan 7 with 2132 viewsChurchman

Sunderland game feels big on 23:55 - Jan 6 by FrimleyBlue

Lost only once, won none. Only scored 3 goals.

They say the longer a run goes the harder it gets, so today's win will hopefully give the players as the poster said a little belief again and beating Sunderland would be a great result to kick-start 2024.

Conceded only once in the last three games. You can make the stats show whatever you want.

There’s plenty of belief. That’s obvious from the way we play. Only one team was trying to win at the end of the QPR game and Stoke weren’t exactly tearing us a new one. Norwich? Play that game ten times they might scrape a draw twice. Leicester? A better team than us but we deserved a point. Take the best players from any team, even Man City, and they’re going to have to adjust.

We need to replace Hirst. We all know that, but we’ll be fine. Had we drawn/ lost M’boro and Watford away you might have a case to set your head on fire, but we didn’t and that bought us a little leeway. It’s a long season. McKenna is right - it’s best to try not to go too overboard with the highs or too down with the lows.

20 games to play. No single game is a must win.
Sunderland game feels big on 00:24 - Jan 7 with 2108 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sunderland game feels big on 00:15 - Jan 7 by Churchman

Conceded only once in the last three games. You can make the stats show whatever you want.

There’s plenty of belief. That’s obvious from the way we play. Only one team was trying to win at the end of the QPR game and Stoke weren’t exactly tearing us a new one. Norwich? Play that game ten times they might scrape a draw twice. Leicester? A better team than us but we deserved a point. Take the best players from any team, even Man City, and they’re going to have to adjust.

We need to replace Hirst. We all know that, but we’ll be fine. Had we drawn/ lost M’boro and Watford away you might have a case to set your head on fire, but we didn’t and that bought us a little leeway. It’s a long season. McKenna is right - it’s best to try not to go too overboard with the highs or too down with the lows.

You can, but for that promotion Travis spoke of, you need wins and goals, whilst there are absolutely positives in not conceding and not losing in 5 games, the not winning part has hurt us so it's important we get going again.

You're probably correct there will be belief but it's only human to potentially lose that belief the longer something doesn't go the way you want it to.

No one is saying our December point total wasn't good overall, it was, could have been better but it was good enough as it was, but as promotion has now been spoken of, that pressure is now on and imo that belief you speak of is tested when you're not winning, so let's get a run going.

Waka waka eh eh

Sunderland game feels big on 00:37 - Jan 7 with 2088 viewsChurchman

Sunderland game feels big on 00:24 - Jan 7 by FrimleyBlue

You can, but for that promotion Travis spoke of, you need wins and goals, whilst there are absolutely positives in not conceding and not losing in 5 games, the not winning part has hurt us so it's important we get going again.

You're probably correct there will be belief but it's only human to potentially lose that belief the longer something doesn't go the way you want it to.

No one is saying our December point total wasn't good overall, it was, could have been better but it was good enough as it was, but as promotion has now been spoken of, that pressure is now on and imo that belief you speak of is tested when you're not winning, so let's get a run going.

Who has talked about promotion? Whose expectations? Not McKenna, staff or the players. They are just playing what’s in front of them.

The shriek brigade might be in panic mode but I doubt KM and the players are. The big picture is something like 47 goals to date and a shedload of wins and points. So the last few games have been tough. Had we beaten say QPR and only drawn at Watford you’d be as happy as a pig in the brown stuff so it all adds up to the same thing.

We are a good team that will start winning again, especially if we can find a replacement for Hirst.

Useful win today, btw. Good run out and another game for fringe players and those returning to fitness.
Sunderland game feels big on 00:42 - Jan 7 with 2074 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sunderland game feels big on 00:37 - Jan 7 by Churchman

Who has talked about promotion? Whose expectations? Not McKenna, staff or the players. They are just playing what’s in front of them.

The shriek brigade might be in panic mode but I doubt KM and the players are. The big picture is something like 47 goals to date and a shedload of wins and points. So the last few games have been tough. Had we beaten say QPR and only drawn at Watford you’d be as happy as a pig in the brown stuff so it all adds up to the same thing.

We are a good team that will start winning again, especially if we can find a replacement for Hirst.

Useful win today, btw. Good run out and another game for fringe players and those returning to fitness.

Travis in his interview as I said earlier has been the first player to speak of it, so clearly if that's part of our transfer talks then it's the expectation (well target) of Km and the club.

No ones in panic mode, it's completely normal to hope we kick-start our 2024 mini season with a league win.

Waka waka eh eh

Sunderland game feels big on 01:01 - Jan 7 with 2048 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sunderland game feels big on 00:15 - Jan 7 by Churchman

Who actually said must win? People don’t half get defensive, the stat that matters are points on the board and we fell a little short over Christmas compared to our very high standards. It’s a big game that could do a lot for momentum and belief, as it’s going to take an awful lot of points for automatics. That’s all.
Sunderland game feels big on 01:01 - Jan 7 with 2046 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Exactly.
Agreed… need at least a performance and then Rotherham win on 09:38 - Jan 7 with 1754 viewsunstableblue

A win would be huge on Saturday and get the project and home support back on track

Leicester game then has less pressure and a bit of a free hit

Rotherham is of course a must win - but they are in better form. I know rightly people suggest ‘must win’ games are a silly label over a long season. But that Rotherham match feels like a chance to get back to winning ways.

Sunderland beforehand will be tough. Hirst, Morsy and Davis out are big blows. But I think Travis has a point to prove, Sarmiento gives us more options. And perhaps Broadhead is coming into form to take the number 9 roles.

I can’t call it.

Despite Sheff Weds rude form, think Saints will have closed the gap by the time we meet the black cats.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sunderland game feels big on 10:04 - Jan 7 with 1661 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sunderland game feels big on 00:24 - Jan 7 by FrimleyBlue

Not like you to take the negative angle.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Agreed… need at least a performance and then Rotherham win on 10:05 - Jan 7 with 1661 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Agreed… need at least a performance and then Rotherham win on 09:38 - Jan 7 by unstableblue

A win would be huge on Saturday and get the project and home support back on track

Leicester game then has less pressure and a bit of a free hit

Rotherham is of course a must win - but they are in better form. I know rightly people suggest ‘must win’ games are a silly label over a long season. But that Rotherham match feels like a chance to get back to winning ways.

Sunderland beforehand will be tough. Hirst, Morsy and Davis out are big blows. But I think Travis has a point to prove, Sarmiento gives us more options. And perhaps Broadhead is coming into form to take the number 9 roles.

I can’t call it.

Despite Sheff Weds rude form, think Saints will have closed the gap by the time we meet the black cats.

We won’t be playing Rotherham on the 27th

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Sunderland game feels big on 10:12 - Jan 7 with 1627 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sunderland game feels big on 10:04 - Jan 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not like you to take the negative angle.

Because we're in a promotion battle flash not just competing in the league.

It's not the negative angle, just not ignoring non wins because it sounds better to say no losses in 5

Waka waka eh eh

Sunderland game feels big on 10:14 - Jan 7 with 1625 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sunderland game feels big on 01:01 - Jan 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Who actually said must win? People don’t half get defensive, the stat that matters are points on the board and we fell a little short over Christmas compared to our very high standards. It’s a big game that could do a lot for momentum and belief, as it’s going to take an awful lot of points for automatics. That’s all.

You said: "Sunderland game feels big... really feels like we need to bounce back."

Not exactly the words "must win" but very, very close to it, and if you didn't mean pretty much the same thing then I'm struggling to see what you meant.

Sunderland game feels big on 10:38 - Jan 7 with 1556 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sunderland game feels big on 10:12 - Jan 7 by FrimleyBlue

Because we're in a promotion battle flash not just competing in the league.

It's not the negative angle, just not ignoring non wins because it sounds better to say no losses in 5

No-one's ignoring the non-wins. It's just interesting that Churchman went with, "We’ve lost only once in the last five games" (and qualified that we've had a lot of our best players missing and played two of the toughest teams and a derby in there). Meanwhile, you go with the simple, "Lost only once, won none. Only scored 3 goals."

Churchman's is closest to the truth because his provides context.

Yours is the negative take. Again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024