Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ireland woah!! (n/t) 21:54 - Feb 2 with 4357 viewsKeno

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:38 - Feb 2 with 3216 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Bit good weren't they...

Thought Crowley was incredible.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:44 - Feb 2 with 3202 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:38 - Feb 2 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Bit good weren't they...

Yes he was, if he carries on like that sexton won’t be missed!

I wasn’t expecting that result

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:48 - Feb 2 with 3190 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:44 - Feb 2 by Keno

Yes he was, if he carries on like that sexton won’t be missed!

I wasn’t expecting that result

Meanwhile Smith is injured and Farrell's finally had enough of the boo boys.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:51 - Feb 2 with 3173 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:48 - Feb 2 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Meanwhile Smith is injured and Farrell's finally had enough of the boo boys.

In fairness I’m not sure Farrell should have been in the England team for a couple of years, not least as he was always a tackle away from a card

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 23:08 - Feb 2 with 3157 viewsWicklowBlue

What a result!!! For context Ireland have 3 wins away from home to Les Bleus.

Weillmse had a bad night and he will be vilified for his tackles quite right so. But equally Ireland stretched their defence so much it was trying to stop the inevitable and jumped into stupid tackles.

Crowley was immense and so was Mccarthy who was MOTM!

Our line out was fabulous, but the our scrum is still an issue.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 08:22 - Feb 3 with 2961 viewsRadioOrwell

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:51 - Feb 2 by Keno

In fairness I’m not sure Farrell should have been in the England team for a couple of years, not least as he was always a tackle away from a card

True that.
Also his shoulder must have taken a real beating from all that tackling.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 08:33 - Feb 3 with 2940 viewssolemio

Ireland played 3/4 of the match against 14 men. That makes a very big difference.
They are clearly favourites to win the Six Nations, but far from certainties.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 09:39 - Feb 3 with 2870 viewsDJR

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 23:08 - Feb 2 by WicklowBlue

What a result!!! For context Ireland have 3 wins away from home to Les Bleus.

Weillmse had a bad night and he will be vilified for his tackles quite right so. But equally Ireland stretched their defence so much it was trying to stop the inevitable and jumped into stupid tackles.

Crowley was immense and so was Mccarthy who was MOTM!

Our line out was fabulous, but the our scrum is still an issue.

It is astonishing the strides Ireland have made in rugby in the last 20 odd years, particularly given the competing attractions of Gaelic football and hurling.

Before then, they tended to be also-rans along with Scotland, and whilst they produced world class players, there was a tendency for them to come from Ulster (eg. Willie John McBride, Mike Gibson). These days I get the impression that the strength now comes from the Republic, which admittedly has for a long time had some prestigious rugby-playing schools.

Do you have an explanation for the change?
[Post edited 3 Feb 9:41]
Login to get fewer ads

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:01 - Feb 3 with 2832 viewsmikeybloo88

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 08:33 - Feb 3 by solemio

Ireland played 3/4 of the match against 14 men. That makes a very big difference.

Not strictly true...Ireland had a man advantage for only 45 minutes which is nearer half the match than 3/4. In the time both sides were at equal strength Ireland still clearly outplayed France...
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:06 - Feb 3 with 2804 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 09:39 - Feb 3 by DJR

It is astonishing the strides Ireland have made in rugby in the last 20 odd years, particularly given the competing attractions of Gaelic football and hurling.

Before then, they tended to be also-rans along with Scotland, and whilst they produced world class players, there was a tendency for them to come from Ulster (eg. Willie John McBride, Mike Gibson). These days I get the impression that the strength now comes from the Republic, which admittedly has for a long time had some prestigious rugby-playing schools.

I think they got the domestic structure sorted with the 4 elite provinces Munster, Ulster, Connaught and the other one which has helped develope top end players

I think that has also helped attract players from the GAA

and lets not forget its a united Ireland team, just shows what a united Ireland could achieve

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 11:02 - Feb 3 with 2760 viewsDJR

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:06 - Feb 3 by Keno

I think they got the domestic structure sorted with the 4 elite provinces Munster, Ulster, Connaught and the other one which has helped develope top end players

I think that has also helped attract players from the GAA

and lets not forget its a united Ireland team, just shows what a united Ireland could achieve

The thing that strikes me about the provinces is that they are based on the historical provinces, which gives them a greater sense of identity and perhaps rivalry.

In contrast, the original elite team in Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Borders didn't really have much in the way of an identity, not least because the Borders team didn't reflect the rivalry within the Borders between teams like Hawick and Kelso. A similar thing seems to have happened in Wales.

As regards a united Ireland, despite being someone of the Scottish presbyterian stock that forms the backbone of Unionism, I am fully supportive, as I am of an independent Scotland.
[Post edited 3 Feb 11:05]
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 12:04 - Feb 3 with 2713 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 11:02 - Feb 3 by DJR

The thing that strikes me about the provinces is that they are based on the historical provinces, which gives them a greater sense of identity and perhaps rivalry.

In contrast, the original elite team in Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Borders didn't really have much in the way of an identity, not least because the Borders team didn't reflect the rivalry within the Borders between teams like Hawick and Kelso. A similar thing seems to have happened in Wales.

As regards a united Ireland, despite being someone of the Scottish presbyterian stock that forms the backbone of Unionism, I am fully supportive, as I am of an independent Scotland.
[Post edited 3 Feb 11:05]

I think the regions in Wales seems to have been detrimental to the Welsh game, and a lot of the welsh are bleating about it.

You could argue Scotland is beginning to work, albeit slowly..

I suspect at the moment a united Ireland is moving closer but Scottish independence could going in the opposite direction. The next GE results in Scotland will be very interesting
[Post edited 3 Feb 12:04]

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 14:49 - Feb 3 with 2645 viewsWicklowBlue

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 09:39 - Feb 3 by DJR

Alongside what others have said, Irelands central contract system has had a big impact too. The Elite players being contracted to the IRFU means their playing time can be managed in the interests of the national team.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 15:07 - Feb 3 with 2618 viewsClareBlue

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 14:49 - Feb 3 by WicklowBlue

Alongside what others have said, Irelands central contract system has had a big impact too. The Elite players being contracted to the IRFU means their playing time can be managed in the interests of the national team.

Yes and they keep a tight grip on playing for the provinces and the structure that benefits the National team. But something often overlooked is that in Munster in particular it is not seen as an elite fee paying school sport. Limerick is about as working class city you could get and Rugby is huge. They have dominated Hurling for the last 6 years but have no real competition from football (non GAA). Same in Conought, to an extent, where it has strong working class routes, even in the Irish speaking areas of County Galway. Again no non GAA football really established in the area. Rugby in Ireland is often associated with elite Dublin schools, but it goes way further than that.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:02 - Feb 4 with 2500 viewsDJR

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 12:04 - Feb 3 by Keno

I think the regions in Wales seems to have been detrimental to the Welsh game, and a lot of the welsh are bleating about it.

You could argue Scotland is beginning to work, albeit slowly..

I suspect at the moment a united Ireland is moving closer but Scottish independence could going in the opposite direction. The next GE results in Scotland will be very interesting
[Post edited 3 Feb 12:04]

Despite the SNP's woes, perhaps understandable after two imposing leaders and so long in power, support for Scottish independence has held up pretty well, as the following indicates. Indeed, there was an Ipsos poll in November (admittedly an outlier) which had an 8 per cent Yes lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

In Scotland it tends to be a generational thing, so over time, I imagine those in favour will increase. But there is also in the mix a large number of non-Scots who live in the country.

In Northern Ireland, the stumbling block is the roughly half of the population of Protestant stock but it is also significant that Catholics are not overwhelmingly in favour of a united Ireland, and that the fastest growing party (the Alliance Party) is not in favour of a border poll.

The polling in the following article from the Irish Times shows 55% of Catholics in favour of a united Ireland, 21% in favour of the status quo and 21% undecided. Across the Northern Ireland population as a whole, this translates into 50% in favour of the status quo, 27% in favour of a united Ireland and 18% undecided, with that 27% figure being far lower than support for Scottish independence.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2022/12/03/poll-less-enthusiasm-for-unity-am
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:41 - Feb 4 with 2470 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:02 - Feb 4 by DJR

Despite the SNP's woes, perhaps understandable after two imposing leaders and so long in power, support for Scottish independence has held up pretty well, as the following indicates. Indeed, there was an Ipsos poll in November (admittedly an outlier) which had an 8 per cent Yes lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

In Scotland it tends to be a generational thing, so over time, I imagine those in favour will increase. But there is also in the mix a large number of non-Scots who live in the country.

In Northern Ireland, the stumbling block is the roughly half of the population of Protestant stock but it is also significant that Catholics are not overwhelmingly in favour of a united Ireland, and that the fastest growing party (the Alliance Party) is not in favour of a border poll.

The polling in the following article from the Irish Times shows 55% of Catholics in favour of a united Ireland, 21% in favour of the status quo and 21% undecided. Across the Northern Ireland population as a whole, this translates into 50% in favour of the status quo, 27% in favour of a united Ireland and 18% undecided, with that 27% figure being far lower than support for Scottish independence.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2022/12/03/poll-less-enthusiasm-for-unity-am

Both countries are interesting at the moment.

I think the next GE could very much a 'Tories Out" one with issues other than independence being more important, That said I do understand from Scottish friends that the young term to more independent and it likely not to go away

One of the increasing issues in NI has become the stance by Unionists actually undermining their own cause both with people in NI and to a degree the UK Government to a point where 'we may not want them anymore"

time we tell!!

In the meantime I think Phil and Gav should try to make TWTD a virtual independent state!! Freedom for TWTD!!!

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:45 - Feb 5 with 2335 viewsDJR

Carrying on the Irish sports' theme, this made me laugh.

Some may believe football is more important than life or death but the Social Democratic and Labour party (SDLP) begs to differ. It has suspended an assembly member, Justin McNulty, who vanished from Stormont’s first sitting on Saturday to manage a Gaelic football team.

McNulty, who represents Armagh and Newry, slipped away early to steer County Laois to victory over County Wexford and missed his party leader, Matthew O’Toole, being nominated opposition leader.

“We weren’t informed he was going to leave nor was permission sought,” O’Toole – a former Downing Street civil servant – told the BBC on Monday. “This was a decision we had to make.” Some in the party – and people in County Louth - have backed McNulty.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:37 - Feb 5 with 2164 viewsEireannach_gorm

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:45 - Feb 5 by DJR

Carrying on the Irish sports' theme, this made me laugh.

Some may believe football is more important than life or death but the Social Democratic and Labour party (SDLP) begs to differ. It has suspended an assembly member, Justin McNulty, who vanished from Stormont’s first sitting on Saturday to manage a Gaelic football team.

McNulty, who represents Armagh and Newry, slipped away early to steer County Laois to victory over County Wexford and missed his party leader, Matthew O’Toole, being nominated opposition leader.

“We weren’t informed he was going to leave nor was permission sought,” O’Toole – a former Downing Street civil servant – told the BBC on Monday. “This was a decision we had to make.” Some in the party – and people in County Louth - have backed McNulty.

In fairness, for the last two years he needed to keep himself busy thanks to the DUP boycott. He has also won an All Ireland Football medal with Armagh which is probably the reason he was elected.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 00:07 - Feb 6 with 2125 viewsBLUEBEAT

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:38 - Feb 2 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Bit good weren't they...

The Beast called on Thelema

Poll: W or W

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 07:52 - Feb 6 with 2033 viewsDJR

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 22:37 - Feb 5 by Eireannach_gorm

In fairness, for the last two years he needed to keep himself busy thanks to the DUP boycott. He has also won an All Ireland Football medal with Armagh which is probably the reason he was elected.

My rather limited knowledge of Scottish Gaelic suggests to me that your name translated into English is Blue Irishman, given "gorm" means blue.

Is that right? And is this something you have ever explained or been asked?

As it is, one of my ancestors from Colonsay in the Inner Hebrides had the anglicised surname Blue, according to Scottish registry office records from the early 1800s.

According to Ancestry.co.uk, Blue is the anglicized form of the Scottish Gaelic MacGhilleghuirm ‘son of the blue lad’. And in 1841 (the time of the first Census) there were 221 Blue families living in Argyll, which includes Colonsay.
[Post edited 6 Feb 8:57]
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 08:18 - Feb 6 with 1989 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 07:52 - Feb 6 by DJR

My rather limited knowledge of Scottish Gaelic suggests to me that your name translated into English is Blue Irishman, given "gorm" means blue.

As it is, one of my ancestors from Colonsay in the Inner Hebrides had the anglicised surname Blue, according to Scottish registry office records from the early 1800s.

According to Ancestry.co.uk, Blue is the anglicized form of the Scottish Gaelic MacGhilleghuirm ‘son of the blue lad’. And in 1841 (the time of the first Census) there were 221 Blue families living in Argyll, which includes Colonsay.

MacGhilleghuirm - would make a great username

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:11 - Feb 6 with 1923 viewsEireannach_gorm

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 07:52 - Feb 6 by DJR

Yep, I'm Irish blue.

Interesting aside, fear gorm is used in Irish to mean 'black man' because fear dubh is traditionally used to refer to the devil.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:15 - Feb 6 with 1900 viewsRadioOrwell

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 08:33 - Feb 3 by solemio

Two of the tries were with even numbers.
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 11:31 - Feb 6 with 1841 viewsDJR

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 10:11 - Feb 6 by Eireannach_gorm

Yep, I'm Irish blue.

Interesting aside, fear gorm is used in Irish to mean 'black man' because fear dubh is traditionally used to refer to the devil.

That's a shame.

As it is, I did begin to learn Scottish Gaelic a few years but gave up because it was so difficult.

Lenition or aspiration is but one example, which changes the sound and spelling of a word.

For example, Seumas (equivalent to the English James and sounding a bit like it if you say it slowly) changes to Sheumais in the vocative, which sounds like Hamish and so has given form to the Anglicised form of this name, Hamish.
[Post edited 6 Feb 12:00]
Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 11:36 - Feb 6 with 1819 viewsKeno

Ireland woah!! (n/t) on 11:31 - Feb 6 by DJR

That's a shame.

As it is, I did begin to learn Scottish Gaelic a few years but gave up because it was so difficult.

Lenition or aspiration is but one example, which changes the sound and spelling of a word.

For example, Seumas (equivalent to the English James and sounding a bit like it if you say it slowly) changes to Sheumais in the vocative, which sounds like Hamish and so has given form to the Anglicised form of this name, Hamish.
[Post edited 6 Feb 12:00]

Random stupid fun fact of the day

I'm 60 something days into Scottish Gaelic on Duolingo

and yes it seems very confusing

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024