Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PC gone mad or is he out of order? 13:39 - Apr 3 with 1401 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39478693

They were laughing and joking through the exchange apparently.

The politician getting involved clearly thinks it's a disgrace, 'sexist threats' apparently.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:40 - Apr 3 with 1371 viewssoupytwist

He's out of order. Next.
PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:42 - Apr 3 with 1366 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:40 - Apr 3 by soupytwist

He's out of order. Next.

Without seeing how it wasn't said, it's a hard one imo.

The fact that she didn't make a complaint and they were BOTH laughing through the comment, suggests it was in a jokey way.

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:44 - Apr 3 with 1352 viewsCaptainObvious

difficult to judge without seeing the context. certainly threatening behaviour is out of order but the liberal politician shouts sexism by default. if anything he was promoting equality by saying she'd receive the same treatment as a man.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:45 - Apr 3 with 1335 viewsSwailsey

Hard to say. So many jokes see horrendous written down. I told my dad I was going to punch him in the throat if we lost to Birmingham. He knows it's funny because I've never hit anyone in my life.

If that was written down, then of course it would look bad.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:49 - Apr 3 with 1316 viewssoupytwist

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:42 - Apr 3 by The_Romford_Blue

The fact that she didn't make a complaint and they were BOTH laughing through the comment, suggests it was in a jokey way.

I've read the BBC and Telegraph reports on it and neither mention that they were both laughing. However, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that the reporter was laughing along because she thought it the right thing to do in the circumstances. There's a clear hierarchy at work here.

However, Moyes realised that he was wrong and seems to have taken the initiative in apologising so he should make the necessary effort not to do it again and move on.
PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:51 - Apr 3 with 1289 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:49 - Apr 3 by soupytwist

I've read the BBC and Telegraph reports on it and neither mention that they were both laughing. However, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that the reporter was laughing along because she thought it the right thing to do in the circumstances. There's a clear hierarchy at work here.

However, Moyes realised that he was wrong and seems to have taken the initiative in apologising so he should make the necessary effort not to do it again and move on.

From the article I linked in the OP:
'Both Moyes and Sparks were laughing during the exchange and the former Everton and Manchester United manager later apologised to Sparks, who did not make a complaint.'

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:51 - Apr 3 with 1281 viewsSwailsey

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:49 - Apr 3 by soupytwist

The BBC one above mentions they are laughing.

She could have been. But I doubt it.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:52 - Apr 3 with 1264 viewsGlasgowBlue

It doesn't read well whatever way you look at it.

Violence against women should never be a joking matter imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

on 13:55 - Apr 3 with 1242 views_

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:00 - Apr 3 with 1186 viewssoupytwist

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:51 - Apr 3 by The_Romford_Blue

From the article I linked in the OP:
'Both Moyes and Sparks were laughing during the exchange and the former Everton and Manchester United manager later apologised to Sparks, who did not make a complaint.'

OK, missed that. But I think my general point stands about why she may have been laughing.
PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:02 - Apr 3 with 1170 viewssparks

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:52 - Apr 3 by GlasgowBlue

It doesn't read well whatever way you look at it.

Violence against women should never be a joking matter imo.

You don't need the words 'against women' there. No good reason to categorise it by gender.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:06 - Apr 3 with 1127 viewsSwailsey

on 13:55 - Apr 3 by _

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:07 - Apr 3 with 1124 viewsgiant_stow

There's a video of them laughing here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/03/sunderland-david-moyes-tells-re
... but it's besides the point - it was an unspoken power play with Moyles putting her in her place in a nasty sh1tty way. bully.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:10 - Apr 3 with 1109 viewsDarth_Koont

Wasn't really that humorous though - and in the context of managers wielding a lot of power over the media it was OTT.

The threat/bullying was definitely there. The sexist aspect is more debatable, but I think putting women and physical violence in the same context is always going to be a bit dodgy.

Pronouns: He/Him

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:12 - Apr 3 with 1095 viewsCaptainObvious

I cannot imagine any scenario in the world ever where David Moyes would be jokey.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

on 14:19 - Apr 3 with 1054 views_

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:51 - Apr 3 by Swailsey

The BBC one above mentions they are laughing.

She could have been. But I doubt it.

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 14:22 - Apr 3 with 1033 viewsBluebell

Definitely out of order. He is accomplished in interviews as he has managed clubs before.

He should know what he should or shouldn't say. He didn't know her personally, so should never have said it.

BUT he has apologised and she has accepted so that should have been the end of it.
PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 15:25 - Apr 3 with 926 viewsBlueBadger

Domestic violence jokes are a bit like rape jokes and dead baby jokes. You've got to incredibly, incredibly clever and 100% clear as to the 'satirical' point you're making when you put them out there, otherwise, at best, you look like a bit of a pillock to the wider public, regardless of who's 'laughing along' at the time.

Additional - with apologies for linking to Buzzfeed, but this is an example of how it CAN be done well.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/but-what-was-he-wearing?utm_term=.wpO0PD
[Post edited 26 Apr 2017 10:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 15:34 - Apr 3 with 886 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 13:45 - Apr 3 by Swailsey

Hard to say. So many jokes see horrendous written down. I told my dad I was going to punch him in the throat if we lost to Birmingham. He knows it's funny because I've never hit anyone in my life.

If that was written down, then of course it would look bad.

You're a monster

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 15:41 - Apr 3 with 858 viewsSwailsey

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 15:34 - Apr 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You're a monster

It shut him up though.

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 16:18 - Apr 3 with 784 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

PC gone mad or is he out of order? on 15:41 - Apr 3 by Swailsey

It shut him up though.

Heh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024