Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit 12:38 - Jun 7 with 3457 viewsIllinoisblue

say, for example's sake, you moved to another country, started driving everywhere instead of walking, and generally stuffed your face for 10 years. Then thought, "I'm in my mid-40s and need to get in some shape other than a blob" and started going for 2/3/4 mile bike rides every night after work,

I'm assuming it gets easier but right now my thighs feel like they're on fire.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:40 - Jun 7 with 3429 viewsReuser_is_God

Man who moved to America in getting fat shock

In all seriousness, it'll get easier if you keep at it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

on 12:41 - Jun 7 with 3419 views_

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:41 - Jun 7 with 3423 viewsitfcjoe

I've recently started running following the Couch to 5k programme - into week 5 now and going ok.

I played footy last week and my knees were shot for a week which set me back a bit, but feel as though I'm making good progress and have to as doing a 10k in August

Have signed up to the Man v Fat football thing too so hopefully that should help.

Difficult as results are so far from instant but it does get easier from what I've done

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:42 - Jun 7 with 3393 viewsReuser_is_God

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:41 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

I've recently started running following the Couch to 5k programme - into week 5 now and going ok.

I played footy last week and my knees were shot for a week which set me back a bit, but feel as though I'm making good progress and have to as doing a 10k in August

Have signed up to the Man v Fat football thing too so hopefully that should help.

Difficult as results are so far from instant but it does get easier from what I've done

Been following your progress on twitter, you've been doing well.

You got a link to the man vs fat football thing?

Evans out

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:44 - Jun 7 with 3384 viewsIllinoisblue

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:41 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

good stuff; I think the key for me is making exercise a regular part of my day. My neighbour goes to the local gym at 4:30am every morning... can't see myself doing that but he swears by it.

62 - 78 - 81

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:53 - Jun 7 with 3351 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:44 - Jun 7 by Illinoisblue

good stuff; I think the key for me is making exercise a regular part of my day. My neighbour goes to the local gym at 4:30am every morning... can't see myself doing that but he swears by it.

Consistency is the most important thing. So they tell me, but I've never managed it! I've been in couch potato & beer mode now for a few months and it'll hurt when I get moving again. As you hit mid-40s it seems much easier to lose fitness and longer to recover between activities. I still seem to pick up fitness fairly quickly though, although i'm much slower than i used to be.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 12:54]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:03 - Jun 7 with 3325 viewsitfcjoe

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:42 - Jun 7 by Reuser_is_God

Been following your progress on twitter, you've been doing well.

You got a link to the man vs fat football thing?

Cheers, it's surprising how quickly you progress without doing that much

https://www.manvfatfootball.org/ipswich That's the Ipswich link, think nearly 60 people have signed up.

How are things going with the little one - they make getting out to exercise harder, partly why i want to do this to get something in the diary!

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:04 - Jun 7 with 3324 viewsitfcjoe

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 12:44 - Jun 7 by Illinoisblue

I try and do something every other morning, my boy has started waking up a bit earlier now so normally I'm awake by time I need to get up and have a run around the Heath so makes it easier just to get up and go.

The Couch to 5k programme is good for running and plenty of apps for it if you wanted to do that - builds up really slowly and you can see the improvement quite easily which helps

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:07 - Jun 7 with 3309 viewsLord_Lucan

JJJ used to be a right old bloater but now runs marathons - mind you he was in his 20's when he done this.

Bloke who used to drink in one of my locals used to be a helpless alcoholic and left his young son every night in the entrance to the pub where he sat or slept until Dad was ready to stagger home. The fact that Dad survived was miracle enough but he changed his life and started constantly cycling everywhere and was fit as a fiddle.

Funny thing was though a few years back I bumped into the now adult son and was having a brief chat when I decided to say "Blimey, your Dad was such a waster but he has now completely changed his life around". Trouble was though as soon as I said "waster" he headbutted me before I could finish my sentence.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:08 - Jun 7 with 3296 viewsblue_oyster

Laura isn't it? Very nice.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:09 - Jun 7 with 3290 viewsReuser_is_God

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:03 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

Cheers, it's surprising how quickly you progress without doing that much

https://www.manvfatfootball.org/ipswich That's the Ipswich link, think nearly 60 people have signed up.

How are things going with the little one - they make getting out to exercise harder, partly why i want to do this to get something in the diary!

Thanks I'll take a look.

Yeah going well thanks, loads of Uni stuff on at the minute so I've not really had chance to stop & enjoy it but that'll be finished with by the end of this week.

Evans out

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:30 - Jun 7 with 3253 viewsITFC_Forever

I was a complete couch potato with a weekly trundle around at 6-a-side, until I was even more slow and off the pace than usual.

Started running that very next night, (start of March) and went from 2 to 2.5 to just over 3 mile runs two / three times a week.

Now doing 5k in a shade over 27 mins (even managed a cheeky 26.45 a few weeks ago!).

Ran for the first time for two weeks on Sunday following holiday etc and was off the usual pace, but last night I was back to 27.07.

I like to try and beat my previous / best time, but following advice from here and others, now I'm back from holiday I'm going to start bolting on some extra distance.

Going to go to 4 miles, then build up to 5 mile and then 6.22 miles to hit 10k.

Feel miles better for it, stomach is shrinking and have lost 12 lb since I started.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 14:10]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 13:45 - Jun 7 with 3232 viewsBasuco

I used to cycle around 6500 miles per year in my teens and early 20's, had a 25 year break where I did very little then started cycling again 3 years ago, it took much of that to get remotely fit and strong again and I have now lost two stone and feel much better for it. I found it a long hard slog but I am 59 now. But can enjoy 50 - 60 mile rides at a decent pace again. Keep at it as it does take a while to get the heart and lungs back up to capacity but well worth while if you can stick to regular routine of exercise.
Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 14:06 - Jun 7 with 3193 viewsartsbossbeard

How about an exercise class or two?

You commit by signing up to it, you get egged on by those around you (and have a bit of a laugh) and you're not getting bored.

If you're biking already, try a spin class or two. The first one will kill you but then you'll be fine.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 14:25 - Jun 7 with 3166 viewschicoazul

If you want to get in some sort of shape and youre in your mid 40s then ditch the bike and pick up a barbell instead. Muscles are calorie burners.
I was 38 and in amazingly bad shape. Since I started lifting I have gone down 2 waist sizes and a neck size and bizarrely a shoe size. I look different despite not losing much weight and feel great and im now 42. My BP has gone down my cholesterol has gone down my resting heart rate has gone down and the only dedicated cardio I do is walking to and from school to get the kids.
Do squats deads bench and overheads. Do progressive overload. Only move weight you can control, dont use momentum. Dont work to failure. Follow Lee Hayward on Youtube, you dont need to pay for a PT. It worked for me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 14:35 - Jun 7 with 3143 viewsSuperfrans

I've started the "Couch To 5k" programme about a month ago and it's pretty good already seeing improvements in my fitness.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 15:10 - Jun 7 with 3085 viewsIllinoisblue

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 14:06 - Jun 7 by artsbossbeard

How about an exercise class or two?

You commit by signing up to it, you get egged on by those around you (and have a bit of a laugh) and you're not getting bored.

If you're biking already, try a spin class or two. The first one will kill you but then you'll be fine.

that might work; some hey we're all bloaters in this together camaraderie.

62 - 78 - 81

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 15:12 - Jun 7 with 3072 viewsDoobDude

David McGoldrick does this every year. Maybe drop him an email.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 15:31 - Jun 7 with 3041 viewsDeano69

Not exactly that, but hit 40, overweight and both unhappy and i am sure unhealthily despite being a fit as a lea as a kid and young adult.

I signed up to a boot camp which gave a monitored mix watching what i ate and regular early morning exercise. It was terrible to start with but i stuck with it. Best thing I've done for years. I slipped back a bit earlier in the year but trying a lot harder again.

Its not about quick fix more about how you intend to live your life from now on. Cut out the crap food, get more water and sleep, exercise and look at life through less stressful eyes. It does challenge you from time to time, and by default i live a drink, food and a bit of a worrier, so it isn't easy. I don't have a six pack (used to years ago) but you know what, I'd rather be a Chocolate Cake than a Beefcake, means i don't live in the gym but make use of it to be fit rather than it becoming a chore.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 15:55 - Jun 7 with 3015 viewsAdmiralFunge

Haha!

This was me last August. Hit the gym up for 2 months on a pure cardio tip. Running, rowing, cycle, all that guff.

The first time was the worst 15 minutes of my life, the first week not too much better. Then got involved with a few weights, and a bunch of core stuff. Burpees are the devils work.

Keep at it, Illy. I'm 9 months in now, I've lost a stone, and honestly have never been fitter. Hit up a 25 mile mountain bike ride across various Suffolk bridleways last weekend; it ruined me, but I was good to go again the next day.

I now weight 13 stone, but 2 of that relates to my intimidating and impressive wang.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 15:58]

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 16:10 - Jun 7 with 2995 viewsDeano69

Has anyone ever had a long period of inactivity and then tried to get fit on 15:55 - Jun 7 by AdmiralFunge

Haha!

This was me last August. Hit the gym up for 2 months on a pure cardio tip. Running, rowing, cycle, all that guff.

The first time was the worst 15 minutes of my life, the first week not too much better. Then got involved with a few weights, and a bunch of core stuff. Burpees are the devils work.

Keep at it, Illy. I'm 9 months in now, I've lost a stone, and honestly have never been fitter. Hit up a 25 mile mountain bike ride across various Suffolk bridleways last weekend; it ruined me, but I was good to go again the next day.

I now weight 13 stone, but 2 of that relates to my intimidating and impressive wang.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 15:58]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024