Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there any requirement for anybody to 12:02 - Jun 10 with 2027 viewsimsureazzure

legitimately use a ceramic knife?
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:22 - Jun 10 with 2001 viewsBlueBadger

This is an oddly specific question. Should I be phoning the police?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:30 - Jun 10 with 1988 viewsimsureazzure

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:22 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

This is an oddly specific question. Should I be phoning the police?

The Borough market terrorists used them.

Used to avoid metal detectors at railway stations.
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:33 - Jun 10 with 1981 viewstcblue

Ceramic knives are made with a metallic compound inside to specifically combat this, where did you get this info? And what metal detectors at railway stations?

I have ceramic knives. I use them for cutting vegetables, fish and meat finely. They are better for this than steel.
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:35 - Jun 10 with 1973 viewsLord_Lucan

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:33 - Jun 10 by tcblue

Ceramic knives are made with a metallic compound inside to specifically combat this, where did you get this info? And what metal detectors at railway stations?

I have ceramic knives. I use them for cutting vegetables, fish and meat finely. They are better for this than steel.

Aren't they an arse to sharpen?

I just sent my knives away for sharpening, I think they sharpen ceramics as well but it's dearer.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:43 - Jun 10 with 1957 viewstcblue

I have a Kyocera diamond ceramic knife sharpener but to be honest with the prices of ceramics now, and how long they keep their keen edge, I can't imagine using it much nowadays. I have a favourite knife I use every day for six years and have sharpened it only once.

Bit of a "wow, why didn't I get these years ago" moment.
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:47 - Jun 10 with 1935 viewsLord_Lucan

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:43 - Jun 10 by tcblue

I have a Kyocera diamond ceramic knife sharpener but to be honest with the prices of ceramics now, and how long they keep their keen edge, I can't imagine using it much nowadays. I have a favourite knife I use every day for six years and have sharpened it only once.

Interesting. I might invest in a ceramic utility knife and see how it goes. I have Globals which are great but difficult to sharpen properly. As I said I recently sent them away for sharpening but it's not cheap and they blunt quickly.

In reality they are too professional for someone like me.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2017 12:48]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:50 - Jun 10 with 1915 viewsMullet

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:43 - Jun 10 by tcblue

Any decent suggestions? My kitchen set needs binning and I need to replace them er....sharpish!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:01 - Jun 10 with 1894 viewstcblue

Well, I do like Kyocera brand, but really its all down to the compound of zirconium oxide used as I understand it (which is to say, C at GCSE level chemistry) and I wouldn't be surprised if Kyocera made knives for lots of brands.

The great thing about them other than the sharpness is that there's no chance of odours / flavours seeping into the blade, so a quick rinse under a tap after cutting onions and it's ready for the Vianetta (I have never done this).
Login to get fewer ads

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:03 - Jun 10 with 1885 viewstcblue

Also, thinking back to the OP, ceramic knives I imagine are pretty crap for stabbing. They're very hard indeed (you can only sharpen them with diamond as they're made from zirconium compounds) but they're much, much more brittle than steel, and aren't any good at cutting through bone...
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:09 - Jun 10 with 1858 viewsTractorWood

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:01 - Jun 10 by tcblue

Well, I do like Kyocera brand, but really its all down to the compound of zirconium oxide used as I understand it (which is to say, C at GCSE level chemistry) and I wouldn't be surprised if Kyocera made knives for lots of brands.

The great thing about them other than the sharpness is that there's no chance of odours / flavours seeping into the blade, so a quick rinse under a tap after cutting onions and it's ready for the Vianetta (I have never done this).

I had strawberry vienneta for the first time in years and it was amazing. Less than £2.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:15 - Jun 10 with 1839 viewsSarge

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:30 - Jun 10 by imsureazzure

The Borough market terrorists used them.

Used to avoid metal detectors at railway stations.

There are metal detectors at railway stations?
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 13:15 - Jun 10 with 1839 viewsimsureazzure

Is there any requirement for anybody to on 12:33 - Jun 10 by tcblue

There are random metal detector searches at railway stations, same with drug sniffer dogs, seen at Ipswich once and Stratford.

I didn't know about the compound added which makes perfect sense.
Is there any requirement for anybody to on 14:29 - Jun 10 with 1771 viewsvapour_trail

One of the more unusual twtd dvergences I have observed is this concurrent convos on stabbing people and vienetta.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024