Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the public interest? 09:02 - Jun 17 with 7052 viewsYaffle

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/16/man-jailed-sharing-photo-dead-grenfel

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3817547/man-facebook-photo-grenfell-tower-fire-vic

The wife and I have been discussing this over our morning cuppa. I'm conflicted and uncomfortable about this. To be clear, I'm not for a second defending what he did as anything other than very wrong and hugely misjudged. Question is, was it criminal and if so, was it in the public interest to send him to prison for 3 months? If you start imprisoning people for everything offending or indecent on Social Media we are going to have to build a lot more prisons. I'm genuinely interested in others thoughts.

127. Improper use of public electronic communications network

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he–

(a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b) causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

Maximum sentence 6 months.
In the public interest? on 09:06 - Jun 17 with 7025 viewsLord_Lucan

It is an absolutely mad and disrespectful thing to do but a suspended sentence would have sufficed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

In the public interest? on 09:14 - Jun 17 with 7003 viewsElderGrizzly

It is probably proportionate tbh, especially in the current climate.

There are a few others going through the courts from the London Bridge/Borough Market incidents too right now.

Needs to be stamped out and sadly, one or two will be made an example of.
In the public interest? on 09:26 - Jun 17 with 6976 viewsgerard1947

In the public interest? on 09:14 - Jun 17 by ElderGrizzly

There are a few others going through the courts from the London Bridge/Borough Market incidents too right now.

It was a despicable thing to do and needs to be punished, that said a custodial sentence did seem a bit harsh when I first read it.

I agree with you though the ghoulish posting online of these terrible things need to be stopped and by setting an example it may just make others think twice.
In the public interest? on 10:02 - Jun 17 with 6935 viewsWD19

In the public interest? on 09:14 - Jun 17 by ElderGrizzly

I tend to agree. I'm in the 'stamp it out before it becomes normal' camp. Sends a strong message that just because you can do this doesn't mean you should.
In the public interest? on 10:11 - Jun 17 with 6926 viewsblue_oyster

I think the key factor is that he refused to remove the pictures when initially confronted. This weakens his case of having posted them in 'the moment' or due to the trauma suffered at the time.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

In the public interest? on 10:15 - Jun 17 with 6916 viewsvapour_trail

Is it usual for a case to be concluded so soon after the initial offence? He's been sentenced before the fire has been put out!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

In the public interest? on 10:17 - Jun 17 with 6910 viewsElderGrizzly

In the public interest? on 10:15 - Jun 17 by vapour_trail

Is it usual for a case to be concluded so soon after the initial offence? He's been sentenced before the fire has been put out!

Yes. In some cases they can be jailed within hours in London.
In the public interest? on 10:17 - Jun 17 with 6908 viewsblue_oyster

In the public interest? on 10:15 - Jun 17 by vapour_trail

Its amazing how quick the system can work when its in the interest of the government isnt it? Meanwhile, we still await the list of missing people.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

In the public interest? on 10:18 - Jun 17 with 6905 viewsvapour_trail

In the public interest? on 10:17 - Jun 17 by ElderGrizzly

I shall add this to the list of things I have learnt from twtd.

In the public interest? on 10:20 - Jun 17 with 6897 viewsbournemouthblue

In the public interest? on 10:17 - Jun 17 by ElderGrizzly

That's a seriously quick process

So they have some kind of fast track court process?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

In the public interest? on 14:42 - Jun 17 with 6806 viewstcblue

And yet the Sun's journalist impersonates a victim's family member to get into the hospital to get some 'breaking news' and don't get jailed.

I'm not saying if either should be punished or what that punishment should be (I'm also on the fence) , it just strikes me as wholly unfair that one is being punished and the other isn't.
In the public interest? on 15:09 - Jun 17 with 6771 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

According to that story, he only posted the pictures to prove how badly the victim was being treated by being left alone in a body bag in the street.

Which is a fair point.

I don't think it's as bad as being made out as personally. A jail term is very harsh imo.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 15:10]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In the public interest? on 15:48 - Jun 17 with 6730 viewsElderGrizzly

In the public interest? on 10:17 - Jun 17 by blue_oyster

Its amazing how quick the system can work when its in the interest of the government isnt it? Meanwhile, we still await the list of missing people.

The Police have just issued a statement saying 58 people are missing,presumed dead.
In the public interest? on 15:55 - Jun 17 with 6718 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

In the public interest? on 15:48 - Jun 17 by ElderGrizzly

The Police have just issued a statement saying 58 people are missing,presumed dead.

That's terrible

I've never seen a fire like it before but that is an incredibly large number of people

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In the public interest? on 15:58 - Jun 17 with 6714 viewswellyblue

No previous and gets jail time for a minor non-violent offence? Absolute joke.
In the public interest? on 17:50 - Jun 17 with 6641 viewsvapour_trail

In the public interest? on 15:55 - Jun 17 by The_Romford_Blue

That's terrible

I've never seen a fire like it before but that is an incredibly large number of people

There was an horrendous fire at King's Cross underground when I was young. They had wooden escalators and you could smoke down there. I think a ciggies went through the gap and ignited some litter.

See also Bradford FC, which I think may have been similar in terms of the source of the blaze. A massive miscarriage of justice involved with that one.

In the public interest? on 21:46 - Jun 17 with 6556 viewsHARRY10

In the public interest? on 15:09 - Jun 17 by The_Romford_Blue

According to that story, he only posted the pictures to prove how badly the victim was being treated by being left alone in a body bag in the street.

Which is a fair point.

I don't think it's as bad as being made out as personally. A jail term is very harsh imo.

Nonsense !

"He posted one video and two pictures of the body bag with the man inside and then later five pictures of the victim's face and body after opening it to look inside. "

It was more a case of showing how bad the person had suffered. Apparently the man had jumped.

The emergency services have enough to contend with, without idiots like this regarding everything as some chance to say 'look what I saw'. As well as interfering it was a total lack of respect for that person, his family and his friends.

His death had not been announced at that stage either, so how would you feel if your mother had been killed in an horrific car crash and some herbert had pulled open the morgue drawer to take photos to plaster to everyone around the world .... and you hadn't even been informed ?
In the public interest? on 23:20 - Jun 17 with 6514 viewswellyblue

In the public interest? on 21:46 - Jun 17 by HARRY10

Nonsense !

"He posted one video and two pictures of the body bag with the man inside and then later five pictures of the victim's face and body after opening it to look inside. "

It was more a case of showing how bad the person had suffered. Apparently the man had jumped.

The emergency services have enough to contend with, without idiots like this regarding everything as some chance to say 'look what I saw'. As well as interfering it was a total lack of respect for that person, his family and his friends.

His death had not been announced at that stage either, so how would you feel if your mother had been killed in an horrific car crash and some herbert had pulled open the morgue drawer to take photos to plaster to everyone around the world .... and you hadn't even been informed ?

Whatever, it still doesn't warrant jail time, a slap on the wrist maybe, but not a custodial.
In the public interest? on 23:44 - Jun 17 with 6482 viewsHARRY10

In the public interest? on 23:20 - Jun 17 by wellyblue

Whatever, it still doesn't warrant jail time, a slap on the wrist maybe, but not a custodial.

A slap on the wrist !

This is not without precedent either

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/27/student-jailed-fabrice-muamba-tweets

The idiot opened the body bag to 'take a look' then to compound matters took photos and a videa before posting them for the whole world to see.

What the **** did he think he was doing, some kind of public service !

How the hell would you feel if that was one of your family and this was the way you found out about their death ?

Anyone who died there would not look a 'pretty sight' to say the least - to imagine that appalling mess was suitable to post is beyond belief, as is anyone trying to defend those actions.
In the public interest? on 00:16 - Jun 18 with 6458 viewswellyblue

In the public interest? on 23:44 - Jun 17 by HARRY10

A slap on the wrist !

This is not without precedent either

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/27/student-jailed-fabrice-muamba-tweets

The idiot opened the body bag to 'take a look' then to compound matters took photos and a videa before posting them for the whole world to see.

What the **** did he think he was doing, some kind of public service !

How the hell would you feel if that was one of your family and this was the way you found out about their death ?

Anyone who died there would not look a 'pretty sight' to say the least - to imagine that appalling mess was suitable to post is beyond belief, as is anyone trying to defend those actions.

No, the link that you posted cited a racially aggravated crime, completely different to this...

Not a precedent at all...

It's difficult to say how I would feel if I found out about the death of one of my family this way, but as someone who recently found out that my father had died by a phone call at work, it wouldn't have bothered me, the news is so overbearingly bad that it really doesn't matter how you get it, imo.
In the public interest? on 01:03 - Jun 18 with 6426 viewscharlie1

In the public interest? on 10:20 - Jun 17 by bournemouthblue

That's a seriously quick process

So they have some kind of fast track court process?

It would be entirely dependent on an early guilty plea.

A Not Guilty plea could only be resolved at trial which would take months to arrange, however much it was in the interests of 'the government'.
In the public interest? on 01:14 - Jun 18 with 6420 viewsHARRY10

In the public interest? on 00:16 - Jun 18 by wellyblue

No, the link that you posted cited a racially aggravated crime, completely different to this...

Not a precedent at all...

It's difficult to say how I would feel if I found out about the death of one of my family this way, but as someone who recently found out that my father had died by a phone call at work, it wouldn't have bothered me, the news is so overbearingly bad that it really doesn't matter how you get it, imo.

No.

The sentencing was what is in ,and what applied to that chap would have been the determining factor in this sentence ie "I have no choice but to impose an immediate custodial sentence to reflect the public outrage at what you have done."

That was why he was jailed. The last nine words.

Coincidentally I heard the news of my father's death via a call at work. However it was from a family member. I did not see his mutilated corpse posted up on social media for all to see, as the way of finding out about his death.

You will surely be aware that with any tragic deaths, the procedure is always not to release names until relatives have been informed. Did this not occur to him, or was he too excited bout his chance of 'fame' ?

That they were almost immediately taken down should have told you enough.
In the public interest? on 02:05 - Jun 18 with 6394 viewswellyblue

In the public interest? on 01:14 - Jun 18 by HARRY10

No.

The sentencing was what is in ,and what applied to that chap would have been the determining factor in this sentence ie "I have no choice but to impose an immediate custodial sentence to reflect the public outrage at what you have done."

That was why he was jailed. The last nine words.

Coincidentally I heard the news of my father's death via a call at work. However it was from a family member. I did not see his mutilated corpse posted up on social media for all to see, as the way of finding out about his death.

You will surely be aware that with any tragic deaths, the procedure is always not to release names until relatives have been informed. Did this not occur to him, or was he too excited bout his chance of 'fame' ?

That they were almost immediately taken down should have told you enough.

He was sentenced in a Magistrates Court, how did the Mags assess the 'public outrage' on what he did? What does the term 'public outrage' even mean in legal terms? How do we quantify it (if it even exists)

The guy needs to go to appeal on this, absolutely ridiculous sentence, and I, as a tax payer will be paying for his time inside.
In the public interest? on 13:36 - Jun 18 with 6283 viewsLeoMuff

In the public interest? on 15:09 - Jun 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Which is a fair point.

That is rubbish, if he did that why not take it down when asked to by the authorities? (He refused) I feel jail is totally appropriate, he posted this before the victims family even knew they has passed, totally sick. Sentencing needs to be harsh otherwise no deterrent

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024