Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to 23:52 - Aug 9 with 4759 viewsRyorry

challenge? On street, bang next to meter, no 'no parking' sign, single yellow line but seemingly OK to park there (many others were). Harrogate Boro Council have recently gone over to charging at night as well, so I stuck £2 in at 7.20pm and ticket took me up to 10am tomorrow. Said to friend at interval of show that the sign was really confusing.

Got back out and found I'd got a ticket! There's a small yellow sign at top of pole above the P sign, about 12 foot up so had to crane big-time, saying "no waiting 6pm-8am"! The ticket was for "parking in a taxi rank" - but there is literally nothing there to say that it's a taxi rank - no sign, no waiting taxis.

Pay up (£70, halved if you do so within 14 days) or spend tedious time challenging it?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 23:57 - Aug 9 with 4740 viewsCurrie10

Think you've answered your own Q. Go back to the spot, take photos make a case and appeal.
Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 00:01 - Aug 10 with 4728 viewsRyorry

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 23:57 - Aug 9 by Currie10

Think you've answered your own Q. Go back to the spot, take photos make a case and appeal.

Yeah, couldn't take photo at time as I'd left phone at home, doh!

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 08:37 - Aug 10 with 4586 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 23:57 - Aug 9 by Currie10

The spot that has a sign saying no waiting? I'd just pay the £35 pronto and move on

Or do this...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 08:55 - Aug 10 with 4557 viewsPendejo

Always appeal. Lower fine is held if appealed within the 14 days. 70% or so of appeals succeed don't they?

Get as much photo evidence as possible, especially at time of day you parked there.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 09:04 - Aug 10 with 4539 viewsBasuco

If the sign is there and you just did not see it then it is just a case of paying up, can't see an appeal working if the council just show pictures of the sign that may or may not have been deliberately placed for financial gain. Being fair and clear is not a requirement just being legal is what counts. Just my opinion mind.
Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 09:26 - Aug 10 with 4495 viewsfactual_blue

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 00:01 - Aug 10 by Ryorry

Yeah, couldn't take photo at time as I'd left phone at home, doh!

Tell them your friend was using the car that evening.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 11:21 - Aug 10 with 4426 viewsgerard1947

Definitely appeal. I do, some you win some you lose. I appealed recently, photographed entering a bus lane just before I should, I was turning left. I heard nothing, I thought I'd better pay up as it neared the date when my fine increased. I found I couldn't pay as my fine had been cancelled following the appeal.
Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 12:19 - Aug 10 with 4379 viewsgainsboroughblue

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 13:00 - Aug 21 with 4202 viewsRyorry

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 09:04 - Aug 10 by Basuco

If the sign is there and you just did not see it then it is just a case of paying up, can't see an appeal working if the council just show pictures of the sign that may or may not have been deliberately placed for financial gain. Being fair and clear is not a requirement just being legal is what counts. Just my opinion mind.

Contested it, didn't win - apparently the info re it being a taxi rank was within the meter itself, alongside the payment rates!!! I said in my challenge that that was in tiny print, and who looks for that info in that location, plus have never seen it anywhere else either in Harrogate or the rest of the UK, and that their signage is deliberately designed to confuse people genuinely trying to obey the regulations - no joy :(

(their reply in full -

"We have carefully considered what you say but we have decided not to cancel your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

You were issued a PCN for parking in a taxi rank. Taxi ranks have yellow signs saying ‘No waiting except taxis’. There are two kinds of taxi ranks. Taxi ranks where other vehicles can never park have yellow markings on the road with ‘TAXIS’ written beside them. Taxi ranks where other vehicles can sometimes park have a yellow line on the road and the times when other vehicles can park there is displayed on a sign.

Your vehicle was parked in a bay marked for the use of taxis after 6pm. This bay is a dual purpose bay and a single yellow line runs through the bay to indicate waiting restrictions apply at the location. There are signs next to this bay all explaining that the bay is pay and display and a taxi rank every evening from 6pm to 8am the following day. These signs meet the requirements as set out by the Department for Transport.

The taxi rank is not a full time rank, so does not have ‘TAXI’ written on the ground. The rank is an evening only rank, and applies only between the hours of 6pm and 8am. A pay and display restriction operates between the hours of 8am and 6pm, Mon to Fri and 10am to 6pm on a Sunday which means that the parking bay markings must be painted in white. The single yellow line at the kerbside indicates that a 'No Waiting' restriction also applies within the extent of the bay.

The Pay and Display machine states ‘Taxis only after 6pm- all days’ and the Pay & Display ticket purchased from the machine would calculate the time allowed from the next day when the bay reverts to Pay & Display."

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 13:10 - Aug 21 with 4164 viewsPinewoodblue

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 13:00 - Aug 21 by Ryorry

Contested it, didn't win - apparently the info re it being a taxi rank was within the meter itself, alongside the payment rates!!! I said in my challenge that that was in tiny print, and who looks for that info in that location, plus have never seen it anywhere else either in Harrogate or the rest of the UK, and that their signage is deliberately designed to confuse people genuinely trying to obey the regulations - no joy :(

(their reply in full -

"We have carefully considered what you say but we have decided not to cancel your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

You were issued a PCN for parking in a taxi rank. Taxi ranks have yellow signs saying ‘No waiting except taxis’. There are two kinds of taxi ranks. Taxi ranks where other vehicles can never park have yellow markings on the road with ‘TAXIS’ written beside them. Taxi ranks where other vehicles can sometimes park have a yellow line on the road and the times when other vehicles can park there is displayed on a sign.

Your vehicle was parked in a bay marked for the use of taxis after 6pm. This bay is a dual purpose bay and a single yellow line runs through the bay to indicate waiting restrictions apply at the location. There are signs next to this bay all explaining that the bay is pay and display and a taxi rank every evening from 6pm to 8am the following day. These signs meet the requirements as set out by the Department for Transport.

The taxi rank is not a full time rank, so does not have ‘TAXI’ written on the ground. The rank is an evening only rank, and applies only between the hours of 6pm and 8am. A pay and display restriction operates between the hours of 8am and 6pm, Mon to Fri and 10am to 6pm on a Sunday which means that the parking bay markings must be painted in white. The single yellow line at the kerbside indicates that a 'No Waiting' restriction also applies within the extent of the bay.

The Pay and Display machine states ‘Taxis only after 6pm- all days’ and the Pay & Display ticket purchased from the machine would calculate the time allowed from the next day when the bay reverts to Pay & Display."

That looks like a standard reply and suggests they didn't read your letter of appeal properly. Give them a call. Probably a waste of time but you might feel better having been heard.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 14:35 - Aug 21 with 4064 viewsRyorry

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 13:10 - Aug 21 by Pinewoodblue

That looks like a standard reply and suggests they didn't read your letter of appeal properly. Give them a call. Probably a waste of time but you might feel better having been heard.

Good point, but there's nothing new I can add, and I'm pretty sure that I would indeed be wasting my time!

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:11 - Aug 21 with 4026 viewsStenvict

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 13:00 - Aug 21 by Ryorry

(their reply in full -

Ask them to provide evidence that the sign was there and until then you won't be paying the fine, but once they've proved the sign is there and it has all this information on it then you'll be more than happy to pay it.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:16 - Aug 21 with 4006 viewsRyorry

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:11 - Aug 21 by Stenvict

Ask them to provide evidence that the sign was there and until then you won't be paying the fine, but once they've proved the sign is there and it has all this information on it then you'll be more than happy to pay it.

The indication that it was a taxi rank was there, but only on the meter itself & in very small print (same as the prices) - you reckon that'd be enough? The problem is that they seem to be self-regulating - unless I take it to court, which I really don't want to do, obviously. But perhaps they rely on that!

Edit: re-read what you said, got it now! Emailed them back saying "Could you please tell me where all this information is written out on the site itself (ie next to the parking bays in question). If it is there, I will pay the fine straightaway. If it isn't, I will dispute the penalty further, since I think the ten minutes I spent trying to work out what the situation was re parking there for 3 hours at 7.20pm on a week day, could be considered more than reasonable" (added a few personal details about my neck surgery, having to crane to read the top of a 12' pole, wearing varifocals etc).
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 15:31]

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:31 - Aug 21 with 3983 viewsStenvict

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:16 - Aug 21 by Ryorry

The indication that it was a taxi rank was there, but only on the meter itself & in very small print (same as the prices) - you reckon that'd be enough? The problem is that they seem to be self-regulating - unless I take it to court, which I really don't want to do, obviously. But perhaps they rely on that!

Edit: re-read what you said, got it now! Emailed them back saying "Could you please tell me where all this information is written out on the site itself (ie next to the parking bays in question). If it is there, I will pay the fine straightaway. If it isn't, I will dispute the penalty further, since I think the ten minutes I spent trying to work out what the situation was re parking there for 3 hours at 7.20pm on a week day, could be considered more than reasonable" (added a few personal details about my neck surgery, having to crane to read the top of a 12' pole, wearing varifocals etc).
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 15:31]

I've said similar in the past and gotten away with it. But it's whether you're willing to take the risk or not.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:37 - Aug 21 with 3971 viewsRyorry

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 15:31 - Aug 21 by Stenvict

I've said similar in the past and gotten away with it. But it's whether you're willing to take the risk or not.

See my edit - will post up outcome. It's a question of the amount of my time it would take to go thru all the proceedings if they still won't relent after my last email - would add up to more than the fine itself & therefore not worth it for me.

Cheers for your input tho, and well done getting them overturned yourself!

Blinkin parket ticket despite having paid & displayed - TWTD jury on whether to on 16:54 - Aug 21 with 3927 viewsBlue_Order

In the end, it doesn't even matter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024