Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tele-visual experts 14:35 - Aug 23 with 2252 viewsartsbossbeard

Right, our wonderful 4yr old Samsung Smart TV now has the bottom of the picture ghosting to the top of the screen, so a quick google tells me it's FUBAR'ed.

Looking at Samsung replacements, I've ruled out the curved options, as it looks like you've got to be in the "sweet spot" to fully appreciate the picture quality, so I'm now deciding between two other options, one Full HD (1080p) and the other Ultra 4K HD.

Q: As I'm simply running a Sky Q box (HD *not* 4K HD) & A DVD player through it, is there any merit in going 4K HD at this stage or am I future-proofing myself as everything will go this way in a year or two and it's worth taking the plunge?

Given the choice of an Ultra 4K or Full HD purchase now, what's my best option?

Ta
ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tele-visual experts on 14:38 - Aug 23 with 2227 viewshomer_123

A 3D telly, that's what you need.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tele-visual experts on 14:38 - Aug 23 with 2226 viewsartsbossbeard

Tele-visual experts on 14:38 - Aug 23 by homer_123

A 3D telly, that's what you need.

Funnily enough, my good ol' Samsung was a 3D TV (never used).

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Tele-visual experts on 14:47 - Aug 23 with 2195 viewsTractor_Thief

IMO wide use of 4k TV is still a while off, take standard HD for example......Now available on most channels (but not all) and it's been around some time now. Also given you are running DVD (not blue-ray) you're not even benefitting from HD there let alone 4k.

I personally think standard HD is still sufficient as 4k is still somewhat a luxury.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 14:48]
Tele-visual experts on 14:48 - Aug 23 with 2188 viewsBornBlue

Virtually any TV you buy now is going to be 4k ready anyway, assuming you're spending a fair amount. There are two types of TV's out there at the moment; those that are OLED, and those that are not. There is a significant difference with the OLED sets, but the price is up there. If you're not spending that amount, there is little difference between them all.
Tele-visual experts on 14:49 - Aug 23 with 2180 viewsurbanblue

I'm no expert on these things but wouldn't it be expected for a TV to last more then 4 years?

I have an LG that's still going strong after 11 years!
Tele-visual experts on 14:49 - Aug 23 with 2171 viewsartsbossbeard

Tele-visual experts on 14:47 - Aug 23 by Tractor_Thief

IMO wide use of 4k TV is still a while off, take standard HD for example......Now available on most channels (but not all) and it's been around some time now. Also given you are running DVD (not blue-ray) you're not even benefitting from HD there let alone 4k.

I personally think standard HD is still sufficient as 4k is still somewhat a luxury.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 14:48]

Oops, missed the word Blu-ray off the DVD bit in my OP. Soz.

Cheers, I reckon you're right - Full HD 49" same price as 43" Ultra 4K...

Tele-visual experts on 14:50 - Aug 23 with 2168 viewshomer_123

Tele-visual experts on 14:38 - Aug 23 by artsbossbeard

Funnily enough, my good ol' Samsung was a 3D TV (never used).

Which was my point.

Here's the thing....will you really notice the difference between a 4K or Ultra4K telly and moreover, how long before that becomes the norm and you don't appreciate it. I can tell you, it's pretty quick.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tele-visual experts on 14:51 - Aug 23 with 2157 viewsartsbossbeard

Tele-visual experts on 14:49 - Aug 23 by urbanblue

I'm no expert on these things but wouldn't it be expected for a TV to last more then 4 years?

I have an LG that's still going strong after 11 years!

I was thinking the same but it's out of warranty anyway..great telly, such a shame.

Login to get fewer ads

Tele-visual experts on 14:52 - Aug 23 with 2149 viewsartsbossbeard

Tele-visual experts on 14:50 - Aug 23 by homer_123

Which was my point.

Here's the thing....will you really notice the difference between a 4K or Ultra4K telly and moreover, how long before that becomes the norm and you don't appreciate it. I can tell you, it's pretty quick.

Yep, understood.

Tele-visual experts on 15:00 - Aug 23 with 2126 viewsurbanblue

Tele-visual experts on 14:51 - Aug 23 by artsbossbeard

I was thinking the same but it's out of warranty anyway..great telly, such a shame.

Hmm, maybe not so great if it died so soon. As I said I don't know so much about these things but I have taken a lot of advice from people who do in the past. One thing I have always been told is to really do your homework. Often you pay so much more just for extras that you may not really use or appreciate.

Also (like a lot of things) some of the cheaper brands come out of the same places as the more expensive and well known makes, and there is really little difference other then the name. All depends on your budget I guess.
Tele-visual experts on 15:04 - Aug 23 with 2116 viewsRorschach

I bought a 50" Sony for my birthday a few months back. It's 4K with HDR 10. Personally I prefer it over the Samsung because it handles motion much more smoothly. Samsung are notorious for judder particularly on 24p playback (that's movies to you and me). I researched the living hell out of it before I bought it so if you need to know anything gimme a shout. Failing that rtings.com is a good source for 4K TV reviews.

As to whether you actually NEED a 4K TV, it all depends very much on the distance you're sitting from the screen and the size you go for. I went from a 42" LG 1080p (which was excellent by the way), but the difference in picture quality is remarkable. Watching HDR 4K movies such as The Revenant or Deepwater Horizon is breath-taking.

I'm not locked in here with you...you're locked in here with me.

Tele-visual experts on 15:05 - Aug 23 with 2113 viewshype313

Tele-visual experts on 15:00 - Aug 23 by urbanblue

Hmm, maybe not so great if it died so soon. As I said I don't know so much about these things but I have taken a lot of advice from people who do in the past. One thing I have always been told is to really do your homework. Often you pay so much more just for extras that you may not really use or appreciate.

Also (like a lot of things) some of the cheaper brands come out of the same places as the more expensive and well known makes, and there is really little difference other then the name. All depends on your budget I guess.

We deal with a shipping company locally and I was chatting to a guy there who imports TV's from a place in Turkey for Argos, John Lewis etc and he said they are all the same, just the logo's are different.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tele-visual experts on 15:07 - Aug 23 with 2095 viewsRorschach

Tele-visual experts on 15:05 - Aug 23 by hype313

We deal with a shipping company locally and I was chatting to a guy there who imports TV's from a place in Turkey for Argos, John Lewis etc and he said they are all the same, just the logo's are different.

Was this before or after you swapped your car for three magic beans?

Tele-visual experts on 15:12 - Aug 23 with 2074 viewshype313

Tele-visual experts on 15:07 - Aug 23 by Rorschach

Was this before or after you swapped your car for three magic beans?

Before, and it was 4 beans.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tele-visual experts on 15:17 - Aug 23 with 2060 viewsBurwell_Blue

If you don't have a 4K input then there is really no point going down that road.
Tele-visual experts on 15:19 - Aug 23 with 2048 viewsartsbossbeard

Tele-visual experts on 15:17 - Aug 23 by Burwell_Blue

If you don't have a 4K input then there is really no point going down that road.

That's my query, though. Are we all going to 4K user in, say, two years time and therefore am I future proofing myself by buying 4K now>

Tele-visual experts on 15:24 - Aug 23 with 2036 viewsBOjK

That's not true in my experience as the upscaling on my Samsung is fantastic.

I thought SKY-Q was 4K capable anyway.

OP: I wouldn't rule out a curved screen unless you our family members often look at the screen from very acute angles. We quite like ours.

Edit: And any 4K TV will come with a netflix app that supports 4K if you are a subscriber to that.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 15:24]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Tele-visual experts on 15:28 - Aug 23 with 2024 viewsRorschach

True. But virtually all 4K TVs have 4K Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube apps built in (should you subscribe to them). Also the Virgin V6 box is 4K and HDR capable should BBC begin broadcasting in 4K in the future.

If you're not going to use any of the above I wouldn't bother personally. That said, my 4K TV upscales blu-rays to a stunning degree.....

Tele-visual experts on 15:29 - Aug 23 with 2017 viewsRorschach

Tele-visual experts on 15:12 - Aug 23 by hype313

Before, and it was 4 beans.

:-)

Tele-visual experts on 15:35 - Aug 23 with 1996 viewsLord_Lucan

4K for the built in apps.

Buy from John Lewis, they will price match and possibly give you a 5 year guarantee - and you won't have to shop amongst people with pyjamas on.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tele-visual experts on 15:35 - Aug 23 with 1981 viewsusm

Tele-visual experts on 15:35 - Aug 23 by Lord_Lucan

4K for the built in apps.

Buy from John Lewis, they will price match and possibly give you a 5 year guarantee - and you won't have to shop amongst people with pyjamas on.

THIS

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Tele-visual experts on 15:38 - Aug 23 with 1967 viewsJakeITFC

I've got a Samsung 4K 40", and Netflix 4K is worth the money alone.

It wasn't particularly expensive, I don't think.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024