Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car advice, please! 08:59 - Sep 1 with 4165 viewsuefacup81

Looking for a new, cheap, car, and this has caught my eye:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708218530943?make=PEUGEOT%26mo

Any thoughts, car folks?

From its MOT history (see here https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/) it looks to have had some work done early on. Should this be ringing major warning bells?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Car advice, please! on 09:04 - Sep 1 with 4147 viewsLord_Lucan

You can thank me later

http://www.fbssalvage.com/search-results.php

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Car advice, please! on 09:27 - Sep 1 with 4090 viewsBasuco

This?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708168395493?onesearchad=Used&
Car advice, please! on 09:40 - Sep 1 with 4057 viewsSmithy

Peugeot, expect...........

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Car advice, please! on 10:24 - Sep 1 with 4000 viewsMJallday

What's your budget? There's a few car enthusiasts on here who can offer advice

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Car advice, please! on 10:39 - Sep 1 with 3977 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

At 186k the a/c won't work. Not for long anyway. The rest of it won't be far behind either.... best avoid
Car advice, please! on 10:44 - Sep 1 with 3973 viewsJoeSoap

I'm not sure but there's a few dodgy stains on those front seats I'd be a bit worried about.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Car advice, please! on 11:21 - Sep 1 with 3921 viewsNewcyBlue

I can't load the site. What peugeot is it you are looking at?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car advice, please! on 11:52 - Sep 1 with 3894 viewsTIB

Car advice, please! on 10:39 - Sep 1 by FrowsyArmLarry

At 186k the a/c won't work. Not for long anyway. The rest of it won't be far behind either.... best avoid

Was going to say same thing...186k must surely be a record for a Peugeot...maybe even any French car

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Login to get fewer ads

Car advice, please! on 11:59 - Sep 1 with 3880 viewsNewcyBlue

Car advice, please! on 11:52 - Sep 1 by TIB

Was going to say same thing...186k must surely be a record for a Peugeot...maybe even any French car

When I was on the Spanners for Peugeot in Felixstowe we regularly got a few cars in with over 250k on the clock. The old XUD engines were pretty much bullet proof.

Car advice, please! on 12:10 - Sep 1 with 3861 viewsuefacup81

Car advice, please! on 10:24 - Sep 1 by MJallday

What's your budget? There's a few car enthusiasts on here who can offer advice

Looking at about £1,000 max. Not too fussed about what I get for that sort of money as long as it'll be cheap to run/insure, and fairly reliable. Although those attributes for that sort of price might be moon-on-a-stick kind of stuff...

Car advice, please! on 12:12 - Sep 1 with 3853 viewsuefacup81

Car advice, please! on 11:21 - Sep 1 by NewcyBlue

I can't load the site. What peugeot is it you are looking at?

It's a 59 plate Peugeot 207 1.4 HDi S.

Keeble's in Bramford are advertising it as a trade-in at £999, sold as seen. The SaS bit doesn't concern me too much, as I think pretty much anything at that sort of price will come without any sort of warranty.

Car advice, please! on 12:13 - Sep 1 with 3851 viewsuefacup81

Car advice, please! on 11:59 - Sep 1 by NewcyBlue

When I was on the Spanners for Peugeot in Felixstowe we regularly got a few cars in with over 250k on the clock. The old XUD engines were pretty much bullet proof.

That's what I've heard - it's got 186k on the clock, but I've been told that Peugeot diesels should be good for anything up to 300k.

Car advice, please! on 12:21 - Sep 1 with 3832 viewsPlums

Car advice, please! on 12:13 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

That's what I've heard - it's got 186k on the clock, but I've been told that Peugeot diesels should be good for anything up to 300k.

The engines may do but they'll be on their third or fourth bodyshell and wiring loom by then

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Car advice, please! on 12:29 - Sep 1 with 3821 viewsNewcyBlue

Car advice, please! on 12:12 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

It's a 59 plate Peugeot 207 1.4 HDi S.

Keeble's in Bramford are advertising it as a trade-in at £999, sold as seen. The SaS bit doesn't concern me too much, as I think pretty much anything at that sort of price will come without any sort of warranty.

What are you looking to spend and what sort of thing do you need?

I have a mate down there that regularly knows about cars under a grand. I will send him a message.

Car advice, please! on 12:33 - Sep 1 with 3809 viewsuefacup81

Car advice, please! on 12:29 - Sep 1 by NewcyBlue

What are you looking to spend and what sort of thing do you need?

I have a mate down there that regularly knows about cars under a grand. I will send him a message.

A grand is about the top end of the budget at the moment.

Not necessarily after anything too flashy - being interested in that Pug pays testament to that! Ideally just something cheap to run/tax/insure, and that isn't going to fall apart within the first year!

Car advice, please! on 12:42 - Sep 1 with 3791 viewsNewcyBlue

Car advice, please! on 12:33 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

A grand is about the top end of the budget at the moment.

Not necessarily after anything too flashy - being interested in that Pug pays testament to that! Ideally just something cheap to run/tax/insure, and that isn't going to fall apart within the first year!

I will send him a message

Car advice, please! on 12:56 - Sep 1 with 3766 viewssoupytwist

A few suggestions. All boring but ideal for the kind of thing you want.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volvo/s40/volvo-s40-1-8-s-manu

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/skoda/fabia/skoda-fabia-1-4-co - colour slightly challenging but if you can see past that, looks OK.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/avensis/toyota-avensis- - you have to do well to kill one of these but check the mileage as could have been a minicab at some point. MOT history seems to suggest it's legit.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/civic/honda-civic-1-4-ma - you could probably haggle this down to near budget
Car advice, please! on 13:08 - Sep 1 with 3740 viewsNewcyBlue

A few pointers

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Car advice, please! on 14:23 - Sep 1 with 3686 viewsWicklowBlue

A mate bought a 207 with the 1.4 petrol engine despite me warning him not too. 3 months later just past the warranty the ECU died, known problem where the coolant sensor leaks coolant which travels up the wires via capillary motion and flooded the ECU.Cost over €1000 to fix.

May not be an issue on the hdi's but whenever buying a 2nd car check out sites like honestjohn.co.uk and get a feel for what issues may exist and check carefully for them. All cars have issues but knowing about them is half the battle.

Also at that mileage has the timing belt/water pump/idlers etc been done?
Car advice, please! on 03:48 - Sep 2 with 3593 viewsstrikalite

Car advice, please! on 13:08 - Sep 1 by NewcyBlue

A few pointers

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Really good advice there...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024