Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Rommy Report 12:18 - Sep 10 with 7897 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

For the first time since Cardiff away last season, I can say that it wasn't a very good awayday.

The lack of drinking options meant we decided to buy drink and then stay in Romford until having to leave about 1 ish. The day started as it was going to go on as the 30 strongbows bought were flat. Almost as if they had all been watered down and then left open for a year. Some left over Kopparburgs were the replacement but we were already off to a bad start.

As we got to QPR via a McDonald's, our seats in the lower tier were surrounded by emptiness. It was about 2:40 and by this time in the last two years, people would be singing by now. That too worried me. 10 minutes into the game, I realised our seats on the far left of the lower tier were sh1te. Absolute no atmosphere whatsoever apart from the occasional joining in from the chants from the other side. Even my attempts were ignored by people around me. What the hell is the point of coming to stand in silence? I don't get it.

On the pitch the first half was as bizarre as off it. We didn't look completely rubbish but we didn't look good either. We would do something good only to then do something shambolic 5 seconds later. It was one of those halves that can be ignored if you turn up well in the second half. It reminded me of Barnsley in the first half in that it can be ignored as it was only 1-0 if you go on to win but when you lose, you reflect on how dissappinting it is to see us play with such little tempo early on. Why did we let QPR come at us? Why did we let Barnsley come at us? Why did we let Brentford come at us? Why did we let Fulham come at us? Why did we let Millwall come at us? Why aren't we starting games in the way we are finishing them? It fustrates the living hell out of me that every game the mentality is to just find our feet.

But anyway, we went in at half time behind. A few claps from people around me but not much reaction. The only passionate response either way I heard from anyone was from Mach at halftime who wasn't happy. Fair enough. I didn't stay for a long chat (sorry bud) as we were trying to get to the other end of the lower tier in order to find the seats with the noise. That in itself suggests the atmosphere is sh1te when you have to move seats to try and find somewhere to sing. Even at games up north, you know there will be people around that WANT to make noise. Fecked me off that I felt like first half, it was just the 5 of us that wanted to and one lad about 10 rows in front. So we moved completely to the other end for the second half. Unfortunately that meant we were sharing seats with the people we had stolen. 10 of us stood in 5 seats. Apologies if that was any of you but you know..needs must.

The performance first half was a 6.5 I'd say. The second half performance was a 3. At best. Utterly dreadful. As you will all know, I'm an optimist but even I said at 2-0 after about an hour in when someone started a 'we're gonna win 3-2' chant that, playing as we were at that point, even if we were 3-2 up, we wouldn't win. It looked as though a 3rd goal was inevitable. We had a half chance from Didz but that was it.

That was until Celina scored a quite brilliant goal. Dropped the shoulder to beat two players and then smashed it into the corner. Fair play to the lad as it was quite a fantastic bit of skill to get into a shooting position from where he was, let alone to score. Suddenly, for about 3 minutes, the crowd and the players actually turned up. We even had a couple of free kicks and corners in effort to get the most unfair draw of all time. One such moment ended in Adeyemi getting a shot 7 yards out, albeit high up but he had to snatch at it. A yard lower and we would've stolen a draw. The murder by Fulham at our gaff two weeks ago was so nearly followed by us robbing their west London rivals.

I did see in my boozy state yesterday someone mentioned something about a handball? Not sure what goal that was in reference to but I'm not particularly bothered by it. It would've been an absolute disgrace to football realistically if we had gotten anything from the game. We deserved to lose. Of course in hindsight we can look back at the handball in anger but I think there's more important things from that game to look at...

Firstly, at halftime, I would have brought Celina on. I know it looks like I'm just saying that because he did well afterwards but I actually said the same thing at halftime. We needed a player who could get the ball and run at them. Didzy had an off game so wasn't doing it. Same with Waggy. Downes and Skuse were reluctant to. It was only Grant Ward in the first half who showed any desire to get the ball at his feet and take his man on. For me, Celina had to make an appearance at halftime.

I would have taken Skuse or Downes off at 2-0 for Celina rather than Ward. Skuse does a good job defensively but we were getting murdered anyway at 2-0 so we may as well have had a go. Skuse isn't the player who would help us create chances. Ward is. Wrong substitution there mick.

Connolly was a bit of an enigma. He did ok in parts and then made errors seconds later. The jury is out on him. He will give away penalties though. In fact, I'm interested to see how his temperament is. Twice in the first half on crosses he was pushing or holding his man blatantly.

After the game we met with a couple of Romford based QPR fans we knew who didn't say too much on the footy. They were pleased but didn't want to rub it in. They knew they were the better team and didn't have to say much about Town. I was saying that for them. I was angry. Disappointed of course but just angry. Every c**ting year we come to that sh1thole of a ground where you can barely move for legroom only to see Town get beat. Every c**ting hear that tw*t with the maracas and the sombrero is able to dance around and wind up the Town fans knowing he was on the way to victory. Every. C**ting. Year.

On the whole, it was a pretty miserable day asides from the drinking in Romford. Even there the strongbows were flat in what proved to be an ironic assessment of the Town performance. The thought of us beaten yet again was as hard to swallow as the vodka. And that was that. We had a laugh beforehand but it all just went downhill really.

Atmosphere? Sh1te.
Performance? Sh1te.
Day out? Pretty sh1te really.

I comforted myself with a Chinese afterwards as I stuck on the channel 5 highlights show just in time to see the table. 4th after 6 games is still better than what we all predicted. That's at least a positive I can offer.

On to Bolton next week now and I'm hopeful of the 3 points. They are a poor side unlike Fulham or QPR are. I was confident of a win yesterday to be honest.

Oh well.. believe? I have no idea
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 12:46]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Rommy Report on 12:19 - Sep 10 with 5744 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't mean to submit it.

I'm only halfway through...

Hold up

The Rommy Report on 12:27 - Sep 10 with 5699 viewsBenters

I was scared of singing as some of our fans are pretty precious and i only like the naughty songs

Funny to think two seasons ago i walked out of that stadium and handed my scarf over to a young lad,as i couldnt stomach any more of MMs dross.

So i was looking forward to the day as id heard great things about the start of this season,yet again it was so bloody boring !

I know we will never be world beaters,and injuries blah blah fkn blah,but at least try and play some football,and make me want to go again !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Two dreadful trips to Loftus Road in a row innit Benters on 12:30 - Sep 10 with 5685 viewsDyland

The Rommy Report on 12:27 - Sep 10 by Benters

I was scared of singing as some of our fans are pretty precious and i only like the naughty songs

Funny to think two seasons ago i walked out of that stadium and handed my scarf over to a young lad,as i couldnt stomach any more of MMs dross.

So i was looking forward to the day as id heard great things about the start of this season,yet again it was so bloody boring !

I know we will never be world beaters,and injuries blah blah fkn blah,but at least try and play some football,and make me want to go again !

Last year was worse, mind.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Rommy Report on 12:32 - Sep 10 with 5669 viewsolimar

"Why did we let Millwall come up us?"
Sure, they scored in the 1st minute, but we had equalised by the 5th minute, scored 3 times in 45 mins and took the lead twice. We hardly sat back.
Two dreadful trips to Loftus Road in a row innit Benters on 12:35 - Sep 10 with 5642 viewsBenters

Two dreadful trips to Loftus Road in a row innit Benters on 12:30 - Sep 10 by Dyland

Last year was worse, mind.

Yes i know,but i only did Brentford away last season and didnt really miss a lot did i!

Gentlybentley

The Rommy Report on 12:39 - Sep 10 with 5624 viewspatrickswell

The Rommy Report on 12:19 - Sep 10 by The_Romford_Blue

I didn't mean to submit it.

I'm only halfway through...

Hold up

Hurry up. I have to get milk, mow the lawn and finish some ironing before 3pm.
The Rommy Report on 12:46 - Sep 10 with 5608 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 12:39 - Sep 10 by patrickswell

Hurry up. I have to get milk, mow the lawn and finish some ironing before 3pm.

Done now
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 12:46]

The Rommy Report on 12:48 - Sep 10 with 5594 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 12:32 - Sep 10 by olimar

"Why did we let Millwall come up us?"
Sure, they scored in the 1st minute, but we had equalised by the 5th minute, scored 3 times in 45 mins and took the lead twice. We hardly sat back.

But it's the first 5 minutes of games I'm talking about

Why do we sit back straight away? It's a weird way to get the opposition crowd up as they pile pressure on to us from the off

Login to get fewer ads

The Rommy Report on 13:07 - Sep 10 with 5529 viewsstrikalite

The Rommy Report on 12:48 - Sep 10 by The_Romford_Blue

Why do we sit back straight away? It's a weird way to get the opposition crowd up as they pile pressure on to us from the off

It will be Park the bus next week at Leeds from the off and defend like a League Two side Rommy you can picture it now..
Two dreadful trips to Loftus Road in a row innit Benters on 13:23 - Sep 10 with 5477 viewsDyland

Two dreadful trips to Loftus Road in a row innit Benters on 12:35 - Sep 10 by Benters

Yes i know,but i only did Brentford away last season and didnt really miss a lot did i!

Last year I couldn't believe we contrived to lose the game. Mick's fault, dreadful subs/tactics.

Yesterday I can't really comment on the subs/tactics. I bought a ticket early and ended up knowing some bods going but they were downstairs. There were such a bunch of dimwits where I was sitting/standing I didn't bother going back upstairs after half time, it was a better atmosphere at the bar.

The only good things about yesterday was some very happy man hugging and kissing the fit steward in an emotional outburst of "we're only here to enjoy ourselves", and bumping into Jelly from Haverhill at half time.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Rommy Report on 13:31 - Sep 10 with 5433 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 13:07 - Sep 10 by strikalite

It will be Park the bus next week at Leeds from the off and defend like a League Two side Rommy you can picture it now..

I can't picture that... because we are at home to bolton

The Rommy Report on 13:35 - Sep 10 with 5408 viewsBenters

Becuase dear old Mick went for a draw.

Gentlybentley

The Rommy Report on 13:40 - Sep 10 with 5401 viewsstrikalite

The Rommy Report on 13:31 - Sep 10 by The_Romford_Blue

I can't picture that... because we are at home to bolton

Ah yeah ha soz mate that game is on my mind...
The Rommy Report on 13:58 - Sep 10 with 5358 viewscrunchie1978

Great report as always.
The Rommy Report on 14:33 - Sep 10 with 5310 viewsDolly2.0

Good report Rommers. One thing confused me - the lack of drinking options in London?!?

Where were you drinking the cans in Romford, in a park or something?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

The Rommy Report on 14:45 - Sep 10 with 5284 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 14:33 - Sep 10 by Dolly2.0

Good report Rommers. One thing confused me - the lack of drinking options in London?!?

Where were you drinking the cans in Romford, in a park or something?

The options were limited to get my brother and 3 of his mates in with me who are under 18.

It was a split between Hamilton Hall and the place Reuser mentioned the other day 5 mins from HH.

Naa we just drank at mine in the end

The Rommy Report on 14:55 - Sep 10 with 5262 viewsBlueToad

"So we moved completely to the other end for the second half. Unfortunately that meant we were sharing seats with the people we had stolen. 10 of us stood in 5 seats. Apologies if that was any of you but you know..needs must. "

You would have "shared" my seat for approximately 2 seconds old bean before being sent back from whence you came.

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

The Rommy Report on 15:00 - Sep 10 with 5233 viewsAce_High1

Cheers for the report.

The one thing that stands out is your diet is woeful,

McDonalds
The Drink
Chinese Takeway

Your poor guts!
The Rommy Report on 15:11 - Sep 10 with 5210 viewsPilgrimblue

Good one Rommmy but a friend of mine bought tickets at the gate for upper level. Plenty of room next to him.
The Rommy Report on 15:17 - Sep 10 with 5181 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 14:55 - Sep 10 by BlueToad

"So we moved completely to the other end for the second half. Unfortunately that meant we were sharing seats with the people we had stolen. 10 of us stood in 5 seats. Apologies if that was any of you but you know..needs must. "

You would have "shared" my seat for approximately 2 seconds old bean before being sent back from whence you came.

That's fair enough

The Rommy Report on 16:33 - Sep 10 with 5037 viewsolimar

There was nothing to indicate in the Millwall game that we let them put pressure on us and score. They scored after 1 minute, pretty much half the players hadnt even touched the ball by that stage. And after that, we attacked them at every opportunity- even when we were level after 5 mins.
Sure, we MIGHT have defended deep for 20 mins if they didnt score after a minute, but who knows.
The Rommy Report on 16:43 - Sep 10 with 5011 viewsstrikalite

The Rommy Report on 15:00 - Sep 10 by Ace_High1

Cheers for the report.

The one thing that stands out is your diet is woeful,

McDonalds
The Drink
Chinese Takeway

Your poor guts!

He's a young buck he can get away with it...

Makes me smile thinking of them sitting in the house getting cidered up...TWTD!
The Rommy Report on 16:45 - Sep 10 with 5002 viewsbritbiker

The Rommy Report on 13:07 - Sep 10 by strikalite

I'm worried about leeds away as I went last year as we were dreadful. I was hoping to at least put up a fight this time especially as I'm sitting in the leeds end with four leeds fans.
The Rommy Report on 16:50 - Sep 10 with 4992 viewsDolly2.0

The Rommy Report on 14:45 - Sep 10 by The_Romford_Blue

The options were limited to get my brother and 3 of his mates in with me who are under 18.

It was a split between Hamilton Hall and the place Reuser mentioned the other day 5 mins from HH.

Naa we just drank at mine in the end

Must admit I've never had to think about anyone being underage when selecting a pub. I don't even know what the law is these days, though I imagine some pubs have a 'house rule' rather than it being law.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

The Rommy Report on 16:56 - Sep 10 with 4972 viewsolimar

The Rommy Report on 15:11 - Sep 10 by Pilgrimblue

Good one Rommmy but a friend of mine bought tickets at the gate for upper level. Plenty of room next to him.

Yeah but presumably taking the chance that he might not have actually been able to see the goal at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024